What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

QB Confidence Check Poll - Baker Mayfield (1 Viewer)

On a scale of 1 (not confident at all) to 10 (completely confident), how do you think the Browns fee

• 1. Not confident at all

Votes: 1 1.1%

Votes: 2 2.2%

Votes: 3 3.4%

Votes: 1 1.1%

Votes: 5 5.6%

Votes: 15 16.9%

Votes: 22 24.7%

• 10 Totally confident

Votes: 30 33.7%

• Total voters

Joe Bryant

Guide
Staff member
I'm going to do these with a few QBs.

It's my opinion, answering the question of "Do we have our QB we know we can win with" is by far the single most important thing in the NFL. 

Some teams like New England / Green Bay / New Orleans obviously feel confident in answering yes. Others not as much. Those are the ones I'm interested in.

For this one, let's ask for Cleveland and Baker Mayfield.

On a scale of 1 (not confident at all) to 10 (completely confident), how do you think the Browns feel on the statement: "We have our QB we know we can win with".

And note - this isn't how good the QB is. It's how confident they have their guy. In other words, most people would agree Aaron Rodgers is better than Russell Wilson. But my guess is both the Packers and Seahawks feel about the same confidence they have the guy they can win with. This is about how confident the team feels. 

Last edited by a moderator:
He looks like a long term answer and is doing well with scraps at WR....

add in some WR, and OL and they can go places...

3/10. When teams say that about a young QB, what they really mean is, "We hope we have our QB we can with with," especially when that QB was taken 1st overall.  He hasn't played enough really good ball yet in the NFL for anyone to say you are totally confident that you can win with him, especially when you consider the franchise he works for. 

He looks like a rookie on a bad team.  Lots of guys have flashed here and there, but failed to do anything long-term. 

I voted 5, it could literally go either way and I don't know if there's anyone left in the organization who has seen him play enough to make that kind of a call for certain.

I gave it a 10.  It's been documented that the entire Browns FO was sold on Baker early in the draft process (private workouts).  When all of the drama went down this week in CLE, the main focal point was that they had to "protect Baker" and make sure his confidence wasn't shot.  Dorsey wants to protect his QB of the future and fully believes in him.  The team has also been feeding off of him, which this team hasn't seen in a very long time.  Baker appears to have that "IT" factor, and you can see it throughout the team when he is on the field.  It was night and day difference in player attitudes when Tyrod started the season to when Baker jumped in to play.  I think this team will go as far as Baker will take them, and I think he has the skillset, ability, and moxi to take them further than they've been in a very long time.

I was highly dubious when Browns took Mayfield as the first pick in this year's draft but his coming out performance on week 3 vs. NYJ significantly changed every thought against him.  I really believe he has what it take to lead Browns.  His unrelentingly confident and assertiveness will keep his offense moving forward.  Even though he was taken as #1 pick, he still manages to keep chips on his shoulder, which will sustain his competitive fire (as similarly seen on Brady and Rodgers). 

Joe - Are you a Browns fan?  It seems you are starting threads about the Browns often lately.
I'd hesitate to call myself a Browns fan as I don't live and die with the team. I think Footballguys works best when I'm more a fan of the game than of any one team. If I had to rank my favorite teams though, Cleveland would be near the top. I do think they're one of the more interesting teams now though. I had the good fortune of watching a Tennessee - Georgia game with Mr. Haslam a few years ago. 

For stuff like this question though of how confident a team is they have their QB, that can be asked of a lot of teams. I plan to do more of that. 

I voted 10.  I think the organization believed in him when they drafted him and he has flashed well (even with some rookie moments as expected). 

6. I think he is showing he has what it takes to be an NFL starting QB but there is not enough film to say if he is the next top QB or Andy Dalton. 

Granted hes a rookie, so this isn't an apples to apples comparison, bit it's close: Trubiskys first year as a starter and many arent real convinced he is much more than an average QB. Mayfield reminds me a lot of Trubisky, and his stats arent much off if you adjust for him being a rookie. 

Mayfield may be an NFL starting QB, but until he takes a step like Goff did this year I dont think anyone can answer this poll above a 7/10, unless you have some kind of bias/investment into the scenario. Because he needs to take several steps before he reaches that level and at this point there is no guarantee he will

About an 8. You still need great coaching for any young QB not named Peyton Manning. If he had Gruden coaching him, he would be a disaster. They need to choose wisely this time at HC & OC. No retreads.

He looks like a good QB. Certainly better than any of the other 3 (although in fairness none of the big 4 have much to work with offensively.) I voted 8

Cleveland homer so take it for what it's worth but I gave it a 9 just because I don't believe in absolutes.

I've watched this team since the 70's and with few exceptions I've never felt the calm I do in Baker Mayfield. Sure there is a chance he gets David Carr'd but I don't see that happening with Dorsey at the helm. He'll get the pieces in place to make him successful. Keep in mind too, the kid didn't take a snap with the first team until he relieved Tyrod Taylor in game 3 so everyone is still learning Baker. He throws a rocket the WR's aren't used to seeing so they have to adjust. He moves around in the pocket differently than Tyrod did so the OL has to adjust (although I'd be happy if they just picked up the blitzing LB every once in a while). And now with the coaching shakeup we hear about the disconnect between the former HC and OC that was probably affecting the play calls which also have an affect on Baker & the team.

I hope that for once, the staff tries to put a plan together to play to Mayfield's strengths instead of forcing him into a system that doesn't. Yes, he doesn't have much to work with in the WR corp right now but he's shown he can put the ball exactly where it needs to be for them to be successful. Jarvis Landry, a pass catching machine who routinely catches 50-60% of balls thrown his way is sitting in the low 40% right now. Their are a multitude of factors but if the team rises up to Mayfield's talent level the Browns will be a winning organization again.

I'd hesitate to call myself a Browns fan as I don't live and die with the team. I think Footballguys works best when I'm more a fan of the game than of any one team. If I had to rank my favorite teams though, Cleveland would be near the top. I do think they're one of the more interesting teams now though. I had the good fortune of watching a Tennessee - Georgia game with Mr. Haslam a few years ago. 

For stuff like this question though of how confident a team is they have their QB, that can be asked of a lot of teams. I plan to do more of that. 
Ok, now I get it.  And I will lay off the "king of midwest truck stops" sthick.  (tho it is good)   The NFL is a different animal.

If you do have a bat phone (or text???) to Jimmahhh, please drop him a line and simply suggest that maybe he should take a deep breath, self evaluate his decisions & personal performance thus far as 1 of 32 nfl owners, and gracefully pass the day to day, and everything to Mr. Dorsey. 

re Baker :wub:

I just hope the FO doesn't eff it up.

Went an 8. Organization seems pleased with him, and I haven't seen any good reason they shouldn't be. He's rough around the edges but the work ethic and attitude seem terrific, and he's certainly flashed adequate talent.

Went an 8. Organization seems pleased with him, and I haven't seen any good reason they shouldn't be. He's rough around the edges but the work ethic and attitude seem terrific, and he's certainly flashed adequate talent.
Same vote, same rationale. I suppose it's possible they think they have more than this confidence level in him, but IMO if you're putting 100% confidence behind any young QB who hasn't already shown Pro Bowl-level talent (Goff, Wentz, Mahomes), you're fooling yourself as an organization.

I voted 10.  The question posed wasn't whether or not CLE will win, but how the staff sees him.  Baker is a mature rookie, and will be given every opportunity to prove the staff correct.  He is in absolutely no danger of losing the starting job to Taylor.  He has a great attitude and the moxie a QB needs to inspire his teammates.  CLE's record in 2018 will still suck, but they are heading in the right direction.  CLE has been a QB carousel for many years, but that ride ends with Baker.

I think they’re confident, I don’t think anyone else is. Great player, awful situation.

I couldn’t dusagree more.  This is an up and coming team that won’t be hamstrung by a massive QB cap hit for a few years.  I could see them winning the NFC North as early as next year, and think if they do that it won’t surprise a lot of people.

I couldn’t dusagree more.  This is an up and coming team that won’t be hamstrung by a massive QB cap hit for a few years.  I could see them winning the NFC North as early as next year, and think if they do that it won’t surprise a lot of people.

I wouldnt be surprised to see them next year with a reverse record as they finish this year. This is a very up and coming team. Not a bad situation at all, at least with Hue gone. 

Browns' management team ought to learn something from Colts' mistake on their previous management regime, failing to take advantage of Luck's rookie contract. 

Bronco Billy said:

i’d Be SHOCKED if they won the NFC North. 

?

Joe Bryant said:
Thanks @SaintsInDome2006   Can you elaborate more on why think the situation is awful?
Hey Joe, yes. Sorry it was an offhand comment. My point is about ownership. I have faith in Dorsey. Back in the day I had some posts in the Chiefs thread about what he had done with the Chiefs. And with him the days of the bad drafts appear behind them. And the team is indeed packed with talent. And I support the Browns and wish them and their fans success, I root for them. But I just think bad ownership is hard to overcome and Haslam has repeatedly drug his own franchise down. The Jackson/Haley thing was a fiasco. If people think talent and management are enough to overcome consistent chaos, discord and bad decision making at the top, fine, so be it, perhaps I’m wrong. 

Easy 10 for me. Dorsey seemed very convinced when he took him first overall and Mayfield has looked every bit as advertised so far. Will he be a future HOFer? Who knows, but the question was about the level of confidence the Browns have in him to win games with him, and he's already proven capable of doing exactly that. 

Hey Joe, yes. Sorry it was an offhand comment. My point is about ownership. I have faith in Dorsey. Back in the day I had some posts in the Chiefs thread about what he had done with the Chiefs. And with him the days of the bad drafts appear behind them. And the team is indeed packed with talent. And I support the Browns and wish them and their fans success, I root for them. But I just think bad ownership is hard to overcome and Haslam has repeatedly drug his own franchise down. The Jackson/Haley thing was a fiasco. If people think talent and management are enough to overcome consistent chaos, discord and bad decision making at the top, fine, so be it, perhaps I’m wrong. 
Interesting. Thanks for the insight. 

Users who are viewing this thread