What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

QB Dak Prescott, DAL (1 Viewer)

Dak takes a lot of crap... mostly from Dallas "fans" but, he was lights out tonight. Maybe the best game I've seen him play.

Dak Prescott completed 22-of-36 passes for 198 yards, one touchdown, and two interceptions in Dallas' 19-12, Divisional Round loss to the 49ers, adding four carries for 22 yards.​

Prescott's legs were crucial for the Cowboys early on, as he picked up a key fourth-down go in the second quarter on a scramble and also set up first-and-goal for Dallas' only touchdown. The NFL's interception leader went out with a bang by adding two picks, one directly at Jimmie Ward on a ball he came back to late, and nearly threw a game-sealing pick-six to Dre Greenlaw that Greenlaw simply dropped, setting up further hilarity for the Cowboys in the clutch. Prescott was a fringe fantasy QB1 by points per game while missing five games to a thumb injury. Assuming no major changes in Dallas, he'll probably settle in right around that range in 2023 drafts.
Jan 22, 2023, 9:53 PM ET

I've seen enough from Dak over the last few years to realize he's Tony Romo 2.0. He'll show occasional flashes of greatness, maybe win a playoff game every couple of years, but he just isn't Super Bowl QB material. He can't carry this offense consistenly enough through the playoffs. Frustrating as a lifelong Cowboys fan. And all the while Jerruh gets closer and closer to a life consisting of the morning newspaper, butterscotch pudding, and Alf reruns.

I've seen enough from Dak over the last few years to realize he's Tony Romo 2.0. He'll show occasional flashes of greatness, maybe win a playoff game every couple of years, but he just isn't Super Bowl QB material. He can't carry this offense consistenly enough through the playoffs. Frustrating as a lifelong Cowboys fan. And all the while Jerruh gets closer and closer to a life consisting of the morning newspaper, butterscotch pudding, and Alf reruns.

It takes a complete team. We've seen some pretty lame QBs win Super Bowls. Dak's first INT tonight was 100% because DAL lost faith in their place-kicker.

It takes a complete team. We've seen some pretty lame QBs win Super Bowls. Dak's first INT tonight was 100% because DAL lost faith in their place-kicker.

I think you mean the 2nd INT.

I'm a Dak owner so i watch a lot and I really think he is vastly overpaid. He doesn't make good decisions, has fairly poor accuracy and doesn't see the field well.

I think you mean the 2nd INT.

Yes, thanks. First one was a complete stare-down.

My bad.

Ok long time Cowboys fans. How do you rank their quarterbacks, all time. From the following starters:

Don Meredith
Craig Morton
Roger Staubach
Danny White
Troy Aikman
Tony Romo
Dak Prescott

aikman
staubach

---everyone else.
Tony Romo sucked he could never, ever win a big game. ask Parcells, he quit after Romo fumbles that FG attempt as a place holder. Parcells the next day 'it's been great here in dallas. thanks.buh bye now'

aikman
staubach

---everyone else.
Tony Romo sucked he could never, ever win a big game. ask Parcells, he quit after Romo fumbles that FG attempt as a place holder. Parcells the next day 'it's been great here in dallas. thanks.buh bye now'
There is only one consistency throughout the last 25 years. Glad it’s not changing 👍🏼

Ok long time Cowboys fans. How do you rank their quarterbacks, all time. From the following starters:

Don Meredith
Craig Morton
Roger Staubach
Danny White
Troy Aikman
Tony Romo
Dak Prescott

Dak
Romo
Stauback
Aikman
White
Meredith
Morton

You must be a Cowboy hater... and ranking based on who has delivered the most pleasure for you?
Yes and no.

Tried to look at it from the standpoint if Dak played with Emmitt running for 1700 and 6 other pro-bowlers with all day in the pocket what the result would look like. I'd also put Marino over Greise.

I'll admit I didn't put much thought into the last two as to me one is a broadcaster and the other the QB for the Broncos.

Don Meredith
Craig Morton
Roger Staubach
Danny White
Troy Aikman
Tony Romo
Dak Prescott
1. Aikman/Staubach, kind of a 1A/1B situation, Aikman was probably capable of more if needed, but I also feel like Aikman was never a top-5 QB in his career. Still 3 titles in 4 years counts for a lot, and Aikman showed up big when it counted.

3. Romo, could easily see Dak catching him soon though.

4. Prescott/Meredith, Meredith would likely be higher if not for his sudden retirement, when he was arguably in his prime.

5. White, he was a pretty average QB.

6. Morton, easily last, basically a bridge QB between Meredith/Staubach who happened to start a Super Bowl and be arguably the worst player on the field in it.

Don Meredith
Craig Morton
Roger Staubach
Danny White
Troy Aikman
Tony Romo
Dak Prescott
I'm not old enough to remember seeing either Morton or Meredith play, so they'll be out of my rankings.
A few points of clarification before I start: This is for real football, not fantasy football. The flow of the game, in terms of statistics, is so different now than in past years. You will not see me go into deep statistical dives because I make the presumption that if Aikman or Staubach played today, or if Romo or Dak played in an earlier era, their aggregate statistical performance would be significantly impacted by the texture of the timeframe of which they played. So, with that out of the way, here goes:

1. Staubach- Was completely ahead of his time with regard to running. A great scrambler that also was an excellent passer. If he played today, his statistical profile would be elite because of his ability to run. Has two rings and easily could have had at least one more. Made the NFL century team. At his best when it mattered most- late stages of games, often tied or playing from behind. In my opinion a top 10 QB of all time and #1 on this list without any hesitation.

2. Aikman- The most accurate passer I have ever seen. If given the time, just could pick apart a defense. If he played today, his raw passing talent would see him put up bug numbers. But, the 90s Cowboys teams were build on the run game, so he'll never show up on any all time statistical list. 3X Super Bowl champion. My only criticism is that Aikman needed the other component parts of the team to be at high levels of efficiency. Not exceptional improvisational skills. Nonetheless, he elevated during the playoffs, which in my book is a high value in ranking these players.

Tier Break

3. Dak Prescott and Tony Romo- essentially the same guys: great stats, some eye popping plays, high scoring margins against bad teams but middling to below average in late game, consequential situations. Mistake prone. Both good athletes but somehow in the the intangibles process something is missing. Football is a team game so both don't bear the brunt of all the failures but there are, in both cases, specific mistake made by both guys that put them a cut below Aikman and Romo. I'm holding out hope that Dak can elevate the pokes to a NFC Title Game, something Romo could not do, but maybe I'm overly optimistic.

4. Danny White- A good QB but one that I think was more a product of the team around him. Those teams always broke my heart so perhaps I'm biased. (I take losing a little better now in middle age than I did as a teenager.

My fear for the Cowboys is that Dak is trending towards Jameis Winston. His INT rate was 34th this year. It looked like he righted the ship against Tampa, but he could have thrown 4 picks on Sunday against SF. That was hideous.

Don Meredith
Craig Morton
Roger Staubach
Danny White
Troy Aikman
Tony Romo
Dak Prescott
I'm not old enough to remember seeing either Morton or Meredith play, so they'll be out of my rankings.
The Cowboys would have won SB5 if they had started Staubach instead of Morton. They had the better overall team IMO, even if the Colts were good defensively.

My fear for the Cowboys is that Dak is trending towards Jameis Winston. His INT rate was 34th this year. It looked like he righted the ship against Tampa, but he could have thrown 4 picks on Sunday against SF. That was hideous.
To be fair, SF is clearly the best defense in the NFL, and Dallas lost their best weapon.

The only QBs who really had any success against SF all year were Mahomes, and randomly Jarrett Stidham, and the Stidham game was more about Davante Adams just getting open at will.

So basically, the only 2 games the 49ers D had trouble was against arguably the best QB in the league, and the best WR in the league.

To be fair, SF is clearly the best defense in the NFL, and Dallas lost their best weapon.

The only QBs who really had any success against SF all year were Mahomes, and randomly Jarrett Stidham, and the Stidham game was more about Davante Adams just getting open at will.

So basically, the only 2 games the 49ers D had trouble was against arguably the best QB in the league, and the best WR in the league.

That is fair and I have SF going to the SB on the belief that their defense is the best in the NFL. But it doesn't explain Dak's INT rate coming into this game. It was 3.8% prior to throwing the picks in Santa Clara. The first one he threw to Oregon great Deommodore Lenoir was egregious. That was long before Pollard exited the game. There was no excuse for that throw; it's like he didn't even see Lenoir.

When the game was 6-6 and an opportunity for Dallas to take the lead going into halftime at the SFO 18, he throws an unforgiveable INT right into the arms of Fred Warner. You can't do that! Elite QBs CANNOT make that mistake. Again, he's just careless with the football. And why run that play at all? 2nd and 2 at the SFO 18 with 1:24 left and you dial that play up? Inexcusable and why I've said repeatedly that Dallas is a poorly coached team (at least offensively). That's an insidious play call and it cost them. But Dak's the one who threw it and unfortunately, he's thrown a TON of perplexing INTs this year and most of them came against mediocre defenses. 2 against Houston, 2 against Jax, 2 against Tenn, 2 against NYG, 2 against GB. These aren't the best defenses in the NFL and it's a problem. A growing problem.

Sigh....25 f'n years of frustration for Cowboys' fans. At least we had the mid 90s.

That is fair and I have SF going to the SB on the belief that their defense is the best in the NFL. But it doesn't explain Dak's INT rate coming into this game. It was 3.8% prior to throwing the picks in Santa Clara. The first one he threw to Oregon great Deommodore Lenoir was egregious. That was long before Pollard exited the game. There was no excuse for that throw; it's like he didn't even see Lenoir.

When the game was 6-6 and an opportunity for Dallas to take the lead going into halftime at the SFO 18, he throws an unforgiveable INT right into the arms of Fred Warner. You can't do that! Elite QBs CANNOT make that mistake. Again, he's just careless with the football. And why run that play at all? 2nd and 2 at the SFO 18 with 1:24 left and you dial that play up? Inexcusable and why I've said repeatedly that Dallas is a poorly coached team (at least offensively). That's an insidious play call and it cost them. But Dak's the one who threw it and unfortunately, he's thrown a TON of perplexing INTs this year and most of them came against mediocre defenses. 2 against Houston, 2 against Jax, 2 against Tenn, 2 against NYG, 2 against GB. These aren't the best defenses in the NFL and it's a problem. A growing problem.

Sigh....25 f'n years of frustration for Cowboys' fans. At least we had the mid 90s.
I hear ya, I just think its variance static. Dak hasn't been INT prone in the past, and all his other numbers are pretty in-line with his career norms.

I felt the 1st INT was on Michael Gallup, who ran one of the laziest routes I've ever seen, and if he said he didn't know what the play was I'd believe him. Dak shouldn't have thrown it, but I don't see it as egregious. He expected his contested catch WR, to make an effort. That should have been an incompletion. The 2nd one was a force for sure. I think at that point he just didn't trust anyone other than Lamb to make a play and made a poor decision.

I'm not worried about Dak going down the Jamies Winston road in the slightest, but he's shown us he's never going to be an elite QB. That said, he's in that next tier of guys, and if Dallas decided to move on, 10-15 teams would happily trade 1st round picks for him.

Don Meredith
Craig Morton
Roger Staubach
Danny White
Troy Aikman
Tony Romo
Dak Prescott

2. Aikman- The most accurate passer I have ever seen. If given the time, just could pick apart a defense. If he played today, his raw passing talent would see him put up bug numbers. But, the 90s Cowboys teams were build on the run game, so he'll never show up on any all time statistical list. 3X Super Bowl champion. My only criticism is that Aikman needed the other component parts of the team to be at high levels of efficiency. Not exceptional improvisational skills. Nonetheless, he elevated during the playoffs, which in my book is a high value in ranking these players.

Aikman accurate? Career 61.5%. 165 TDs, 141 INTs. That's hideous with Emmitt causing Ds to load the box. Aikman was Trent Dilfer on a better offense. Airman's career rating is closer to Dilfer's than Daks, ditto his TD to INT ratio. I will admit than Aikman came up big in prime moments so maybe I'm under rating him, but let's see what he does vs. SF with a 2023 Zeke in the backfield.

Don Meredith
Craig Morton
Roger Staubach
Danny White
Troy Aikman
Tony Romo
Dak Prescott

Aikman accurate? Career 61.5%. 165 TDs, 141 INTs. That's hideous with Emmitt causing Ds to load the box. Aikman was Trent Dilfer on a better offense. Airman's career rating is closer to Dilfer's than Daks, ditto his TD to INT ratio. I will admit than Aikman came up big in prime moments so maybe I'm under rating him, but let's see what he does vs. SF with a 2023 Zeke in the backfield.

His career numbers are skewed by his disastrous rookie year where he took an absolute beating behind an OL of guys plucked from the UPS factory.

It took him 4 seasons to win a Super Bowl. How many did it take Elway or Manning? He was sensational when given the talent and coaching around him. That's why he was a first ballot Hall of Famer. He had a window of 4 seasons where he was the perfect pilot for a perfectly constructed team.

And then? It all fell apart, salary cap, poor coaching, awful drafting, injuries, concussions. But he's in the Hall of Fame for a reason and it's not his numbers. He was drafted 1.01 for a reason and it wasn't because of stats.

Comparing stats from 30 years ago to today is silly - the game has changed. Rules have changed. Aikman would be a great QB in any era. You may not think that, but the highly selective voters of the NFL HOF disagree with you.

Yeah, it's pretty dumb to compare passing numbers of QBs now to those from last century. Geno Smith just threw 30 TD passes, and the most Joe Montana every threw in a season was 30, so I guess that makes them equals, right? :lol:

Yeah, it's pretty dumb to compare passing numbers of QBs now to those from last century. Geno Smith just threw 30 TD passes, and the most Joe Montana every threw in a season was 30, so I guess that makes them equals, right? :lol:
Why didn't Montana throw more picks in that era?

Don Meredith
Craig Morton
Roger Staubach
Danny White
Troy Aikman
Tony Romo
Dak Prescott

His career numbers are skewed by his disastrous rookie year where he took an absolute beating behind an OL of guys plucked from the UPS factory.

It took him 4 seasons to win a Super Bowl. How many did it take Elway or Manning? He was sensational when given the talent and coaching around him. That's why he was a first ballot Hall of Famer. He had a window of 4 seasons where he was the perfect pilot for a perfectly constructed team.

And then? It all fell apart, salary cap, poor coaching, awful drafting, injuries, concussions. But he's in the Hall of Fame for a reason and it's not his numbers. He was drafted 1.01 for a reason and it wasn't because of stats.

Comparing stats from 30 years ago to today is silly - the game has changed. Rules have changed. Aikman would be a great QB in any era. You may not think that, but the highly selective voters of the NFL HOF disagree with you.

Goods points but I would counter on the last that Namath and Bradshaw don't really support your argument.

Airman played 12 years. In six of those year his total number of TDs - 2 was < his number of picks. He cracked 20 TDs once. Montana did it 6 times, Young 5 times, Staubach 3 times, White 4 times. Guys playing the era before him were hanging better numbers.

Don Meredith
Craig Morton
Roger Staubach
Danny White
Troy Aikman
Tony Romo
Dak Prescott

Dak
Romo
Stauback
Aikman
White
Meredith
Morton

You must be a Cowboy hater... and ranking based on who has delivered the most pleasure for you?
Yes and no.

Tried to look at it from the standpoint if Dak played with Emmitt running for 1700 and 6 other pro-bowlers with all day in the pocket what the result would look like. I'd also put Marino over Greise.

I'll admit I didn't put much thought into the last two as to me one is a broadcaster and the other the QB for the Broncos.

Curious, did yoy actually see all these QBs play, or are you just looking up stats?

Don Meredith
Craig Morton
Roger Staubach
Danny White
Troy Aikman
Tony Romo
Dak Prescott

Dak
Romo
Stauback
Aikman
White
Meredith
Morton

Yes and no.

Curious, did yoy actually see all these QBs play, or are you just looking up stats?
Dak
Romo
Stauback
Aikman
White
Meredith
Morton - with the Broncos

Not a Cowboy fan so I'm more stat based than influenced by wins. I understand though as I would rate Jim McMahon and Cam Newton a lot higher relative to other QBs on those teams than fans of other teams would.

The baseball HOF is (mostly) about stats. The football HOF is about narrative. Aikman was getting in regardless of what his actual stats were. Same will be true for Eli Manning.
Regardless, Aikman was a far better real-life QB than Dak. Dak often wilts under pressure, Aikman almost never did after his rookie year.

There is no way I'd rank Dak ahead of Troy, but I get thinking Aikman was overrated. I mean, that Dallas team was stacked beyond belief, and if you look at his last five seasons, once they weren't lapping the field when it came to talent and JJ was long gone, Aikman was pretty mediocre. He threw more interceptions than touchdowns in two of his last five seasons (even back then, that was a strike against you) and the team went 34-33 in games he started. To me, he was like the 90s version of Terry Bradshaw (good QB who was very fortunate to end up on a team loaded with Hall of Famers).

Regardless, Aikman was a far better real-life QB than Dak. Dak often wilts under pressure, Aikman almost never did after his rookie year.

I'm with you on this. Maybe not the case, but to me it feels like specific analysis on ball location, back-shoulder fades, and "throwing guys open" started with Aikman. That was right when the DB rules were tweaked and offenses really started to open it up.

I've got him neck and neck with Stauback.

Dak and Romo are the same QB to me. Good to very good, not great. Danny White maybe a cut above these guys.

Don Meredith was a MNF singer portrayed by Mac Davis in North Dallas Forty. Never saw him play.

Morton could barely stand when I saw him play in Denver. Never saw him with Dallas.

I'm with you on this. Maybe not the case, but to me it feels like specific analysis on ball location, back-shoulder fades, and "throwing guys open" started with Aikman. That was right when the DB rules were tweaked and offenses really started to open it up.

Dak and Romo are the same QB to me. Good to very good, not great. Danny White maybe a cut above these guys.

Don Meredith was a MNF singer portrayed by Mac Davis in North Dallas Forty. Never saw him play.

Morton could barely stand when I saw him play in Denver. Never saw him with Dallas.

My question is if Dak and Romo are on those Aikman teams behind Nate Newton and company (six pro-bowlers) with JJ leading the way instead of McCarthy and Garrett are we having a different conversation? When the team started to unravel Aikmen seemed to have the same or worse issues than Dak and all of a sudden wasn't clutch.

My question is if Dak and Romo are on those Aikman teams behind Nate Newton and company (six pro-bowlers) with JJ leading the way instead of McCarthy and Garrett are we having a different conversation? When the team started to unravel Aikmen seemed to have the same or worse issues than Dak and all of a sudden wasn't clutch.
Aikman unraveling would about where Romo/Dak rate to me.

Different era, but one thing that cannot be statified is that not all INTs are created equal. Some are simply "short punts", some are tipped balls, and then you've got your backbreakers - redzone INTs and *GULP* the pic-6!

Again, I can't confirm this with any data, but it just feels like Dak's INTs are killers. And I just don't recall that being the case with Aikman.

Also, some QBs (Alex Smith) for example have low INT numbers because they are overly (in a bad way) careful with the football.

Roethlisberger threw lots of pics, but he also appeared in 4X as many Super Bowls as Aaron Rogers... as a fan a prefer the former.

Aikman unraveling would about where Romo/Dak rate to me.

Different era, but one thing that cannot be statified is that not all INTs are created equal. Some are simply "short punts", some are tipped balls, and then you've got your backbreakers - redzone INTs and *GULP* the pic-6!

Again, I can't confirm this with any data, but it just feels like Dak's INTs are killers. And I just don't recall that being the case with Aikman.

Also, some QBs (Alex Smith) for example have low INT numbers because they are overly (in a bad way) careful with the football.

Roethlisberger threw lots of pics, but he also appeared in 4X as many Super Bowls as Aaron Rogers... as a fan a prefer the former.
I understand and respect what you and others are saying. As a fan (speaking of Dallas fans) of a team winning the Super Bowl(s), I can see where that category would be the most important over all others. I'm sure many Pittsburg fans would ranks Bradshaw very high relative to others.

Regarding your last statement and bolded...Rogers may have something in common with Dak but I just can't put my finger on it.

Cosell showed he made bad decisions he never makes and ....it looked like Tannehill in last year's playoffs.

It's possible to take an efficient guy like Tannehill and expect that was a brainfart and he'll be efficient.

The air it out guys like Dak don't usually get that forgiveness.
Jones can say what he wants but trading Dak for Carr would make things better instantly.

I expect Dak to get six months of flack the way Tannehill did so it's gonna be an ugly off-season otherwise.

Oh and someone to say his knee isn't OK or he isn't the same WR he was before injury because that was a big problem all year. If you can't get open with 732 guys covering CeeDee then maybe you're done in the league.
I'd have played tiny Turpin a ton more. He's a pain in the neck for defenses. Fastest CB needs to be in CeeDee so then who is left for the little dynamo? Now who is covering the #2?

Dak has had Witten and Schultz bail him out of a zillion bad situations. He will make more mistakes if they let the TE walk. That's inevitable- ya gotta give him his security blanket

Cowboys executive vice president Stephen Jones said the team will look to sign Dak Prescott to a contract extension.​

Prescott, 29, is signed through the 2026 season. Jones told reporters Wednesday that the team is committed to Prescott for the long term and would get an extension done this offseason. Entering his eighth NFL season, Prescott will have to learn a new offense after head coach Mike McCarthy parted ways with former OC Kellen Moore and will take over play-calling duties for Dallas in 2023.
SOURCE: Calvin Watkins on Twitter
Feb 1, 2023, 12:52 PM ET

Users who are viewing this thread