What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

QB Desmond Ridder, ARZ (1 Viewer)

Faust

MVP
Cincinnati senior QB Desmond Ridder declared for the NFL Draft on Friday.

This declaration came as no surprise considering Ridder (6'4/215) had already accepted an invite to the Senior Bowl. In a video he posted on his Twitter page, he thanked Cincinnati for everything and announced his intentions. He has already signed with an agent, making it 100% official. Ridder is currently a divisive prospect with some analysts having him as the top QB in the class with others casting major doubt about his NFL potential. All eyes will be on Ridder during the first week of February in Mobile, AL.

SOURCE: The Athletic

Jan 7, 2022, 9:57 PM ET

NBC Sports Edge analyst Tyler Forness says Cincinnati QB Desmond Ridder has struggled with his accuracy at the Tuesday Senior Bowl practice.

These Senior Bowl sessions are vital for Ridder (6'4/215) , since he is lodged in a very unsettled quarterback group and needs a strong showing to solidify his status as a first round quarterback. Multiple clips have been making the social media rounds that show Ridder either shorting running backs on dump-offs or missing Tyler Badie on a wide open wheel route by five yards. The dual-threat Bearcats signal caller will need to tighten up his game as the week continues if he wants to climb the quarterback rankings. For his part, ESPN's Matt Miller also thought Pickett and Strong both outperformed Ridder.

SOURCE: Tyler Forness on Twitter

Feb 1, 2022, 2:55 PM ET

Former Cincinnati QB Desmond Ridder is still in contention for the title of top quarterback prospect in the draft, according to Anthony Treash of PFF.

Ridder (6'4/215) had a rough first day at the Senior Bowl, redeeming himself in days 2 and 3, along with the game itself at the conclusion of the showcase. Ridder is one of many quarterbacks who are considered the potential QB1 in this year's draft with just how wide-open it is at the position. Treash notes this: "Ridder earned PFF passing grades of 75.4, 65.0 and 68.8 in his three years starting for the Bearcats before 2021. In 2020, he ranked in the 34th percentile in the FBS in deep passing grade, the 23rd percentile in uncatchable pass rate on 10-plus yard throws and the 18th percentile in true dropback passing grade."

SOURCE: Anthony Treash on PFF

Feb 10, 2022, 3:35 PM ET

PFF ranks Desmond Ridder as the No. 3 overall quarterback and being drafted in the first round.

Ridder's (6'4/215) projections have been all over the place as he's projected to go all the way up to a mid-first round pick to the early second-round. As a four-year starter in Cincinnati, he's one of the more experienced quarterbacks in this draft, and leading the Bearcats to become the first team from a group of five conference to make the College Football playoffs shows his excellent leadership. PFF has him as the last pick in the first round which the Lions received in the 2021 trade with Rams for Jared Goff. With this Young Detroit team and the second-year coach Dan Campbell doing very well by Lions standards, a new quarterback might be what they need to get to the next level.

SOURCE: PFF College

Feb 25, 2022, 6:24 PM ET

Last edited:
Normally I am not intrigued by QBs with accuracy question marks but this guy has caught my eye. Love his running ability and he seems to process the game well and make pretty quick/intelligent decisions. Accuracy and arm strength are not attractive weaknesses but I like pretty much everything else about his gameplay. I will be interested in where he lands and have some interest if it is a spot where I think he can be developed.

Seems like a Redzone Swiss-Army Knife that could be used and his arm strength at that range wouldn't be an issue but he has a long road to climb to be the guy taking snaps leading 80 yd drives in the NFL.  

Ridder gives me a bit of a Mariota vibe, but I think he's more NFL ready than Mariota was. Probably will go to a much better offense than the 2015 Titans who had Delanie Walker and nothing else. 

I like Ridder as a 1st rounder.

Last edited by a moderator:
Cincinnati QB Desmond Ridder jumped 10'7" in the broad jump at the combine on Thursday.

With this quarterback class, there are a lot of question marks. Ridder's (6'4/215) athleticism is not one of them. Ridder impressed with both of his jumps, but his broad jump put him in the 98th percentile of all quarterbacks that have tested at the combine. He chose not to run at the combine but will likely run at his pro day and secure great athletic testing

SOURCE: Marcus Mosher

Mar 3, 2022, 7:25 PM ET

Cincinnati QB Desmond Ridder ran a 4.49 second 40-yard dash at the combine on Thursday.

Ridder (6'4/215) solidified his position as a top-tier athlete at the quarterback position on Thursday at the combine. On his first attempt, he ran a 4.50 40 but followed it up minutes later by breaking the 4.5-second barrier. Ridder is on pace to be a top percentile athlete ever for the position. With a good workout throwing the football, Ridder could solidify his position in the first round.

SOURCE: NFL Draft

Mar 3, 2022, 8:16 PM ET

He is my clear QB 1 in this draft. He is an explosive athlete that can make a D really pay if they forget to account for him on any play. His accuracy has been talked about as an issue, but it is at least average and he has continued to improve throughout his career.  He really stands out between the ears though. I see much better reads and anticipation from him than any other QB in the class. I really want him in a Steelers uniform. 

He is my clear QB 1 in this draft. He is an explosive athlete that can make a D really pay if they forget to account for him on any play. His accuracy has been talked about as an issue, but it is at least average and he has continued to improve throughout his career.  He really stands out between the ears though. I see much better reads and anticipation from him than any other QB in the class. I really want him in a Steelers uniform. 
There’s been scuttle about the Titans drafting him but I think he’ll be gone by then. While he probably goes in the 2nd or 3rd most years, he’s a top 20 pick this year. Pittsburgh makes sense but I wouldn’t be shocked to see him in Denver. 

In a weak class I don’t disagree. I agree and like the way he processes the game. He will need to go to a team that will help him with mechanics and improve his accuracy. His arm strength is sub par but that is not an absolute dagger. Was hoping my Lions could snap him up in the 2nd but in this draft it will not happen.

I guess you didn't read the Senior Bowl reports?  He's undraftable in start 1qb leagues IMO.  I was high on him this time last year, but my opinion has changed after doing more research.

I guess you didn't read the Senior Bowl reports?  He's undraftable in start 1qb leagues IMO.  I was high on him this time last year, but my opinion has changed after doing more research.
I’m not sure I’d draft any of these guys in 1qb leagues unless it’s in the 4th round or later. Maybe Willis in the second if he goes to Pitt or Denver just for the possible, unlikely, upside. 

According to Pro Football Focus, Cincinnati QB Desmond Ridder stock is on the rise. 

The draft experts that thought Ridder (6'4/215) would be drafted in the second round might be changing their tune after a great showing at the combine. He was one of the most athletic quarterbacks at the combine, as he posted a QB-best 4.5 40-yard dash and 10-foot-7 broad jump. It's worth noting Malik Willis elected to not do any athletic testing. He's one of the more skilled quarterbacks in his class and the only one to make a College Football Playoff appearance so his credentials are there. His mobility wasn't on display like the others, but he proved he can use his legs if he needs to and we could now hear his name on April 28th.

SOURCE: PFF College

Mar 4, 2022, 8:56 PM ET

The Athletic's Joseph Person said the Panthers were "impressed" by Cincinnati QB Desmond Ridder at the NFL Combine. 

Carolina coaches were impressed by Ridder's speed (4.52 40 yard dash) and "his makeup and professionalism during their meeting," per Person. "That’s not to say the Panthers would take him at No. 6, but it’s worth keeping an eye on Ridder as the pre-draft process continues." The Panthers are locked in quarterback purgatory, owing Sam Darnold a whopping $18.85 million in 2022, a year after he proved to be backup material at best. The dual-threat Ridder could have a legit chance to start if the Panthers drafted him and Darnold once again struggled. He's widely expected to be a second-round pick. 

RELATED: 

Sam Darnold

, Carolina Panthers

SOURCE: The Athletic 

Mar 7, 2022, 8:39 AM ET

In an article from The Athletic's Bruce Feldman, Cincinnati QB Desmond Ridder received mixed reviews from scouts at the combine.

This quarterback class has had a lot of varying opinions and Ridder (6'4/205) is no exception. In Feldman's article on the combine, Ridder is viewed as a super mature guy but there are still concerns. One NFL assistant spoke about having concerns with his athleticism and accuracy. He didn't think that Ridder played fast, as he got caught by Tulsa's defensive ends in their game. The accuracy is also a concern, as he tends to sail the football. These are all things that will play a big factor in where he is selected in April.

SOURCE: Bruce Feldman

Mar 10, 2022, 11:42 PM ET

I can't believe the negative about this guy.

He's been a top ten QB for three of four years and the other year he was expected to be...just a down year, so he's been in the spotlight for a long time.

The others in each top ten are NFL QBs. He was comparable to all of them!

The NFL draft process makes special athletes better than they are and then this is an example of taking a sure thing and making him worse. Let's nitpick four years of tape and keep releasing sophomore mistake highlights. It's absurd.

I remember this was common many years ago and for a good long time with guys like Brees. Baker predraft fell from first pick to some saying third round and leading up to the draft, he settled around the end of the first. That's not where he was drafted but he got nitpicked so badly it seemed harsh. 

The other OU quarterbacks got nitpicked pretty rough too and I feel like we've re-entered the over criticizing of QBs that the NFL did from 80s til 00. 

They're all starting. I wish I could bark at an NFL GM- they're all starting and your darling Trubisky has done what?

I feel like this draft has two QBs, some projects, and there should be a massive run in the 7th and UDFAs. There's a huge amount of maybes in this group but only two sure things.

Is Ridder the next star. I don't know. He might be average to above average, maybe Tannehill or Carr like. That's an absolutely fine pick and a good get in the draft.

What if his head and leadership turns him into the next Montana? Or what if he is like Baker and turns a franchise around only to need to be replaced? Is either a problem really?

Sooo much overthinking with this guy. He's absolutely an NFL QB and there aren't many others in this class.

According to PFF College, Cincinnati QB Desmond Ridder was one of the best statistical quarterbacks in the G5.

Ridder (6'4/205) is the most seasoned and accomplished quarterback coming into the draft. He spent the last four years building Cincinnati into an elite football program that concluded with being the first team from a non-power conference to be selected to the College Football playoffs. It certainly helps when you're putting up the best numbers in the G5. According to PFF, since 2018 Ridder threw the second-most passing yards (10,223), passing touchdowns (87), and the most big time throws (82). His maturity and leadership are what have teams interested, but the tape shows some technical problems in his throwing motion and footwork that need to be addressed. Are teams willing to make that commitment for an early-round pick?

SOURCE: PFF College

Mar 11, 2022, 8:37 PM ET

According to PFF analyst Anthony Treash, Cincinnati QB Desmond Ridder "has been climbing up boards as of late."

After a fantastic athletic performance at the combine, it should be no surprise that Ridder (6'4/205) is rising up draft boards. While it was evident that he moved really well in the pocket, the output in athletic testing at the combine was a welcomed surprise. Once teams started to speak to him in-depth, it was also not a surprise, as his intelligence and decision-making was also littered throughout his tape. His range is still a fringe first-round pick but that could go up as the draft gets closer.

SOURCE: PFF Draft

Mar 15, 2022, 9:04 PM ET

Cincinnati QB Desmond Ridder says his level of experience and ability to lead the locker room is the best in the class.

Ridder (6'3"/211) is making a bid to sneak into the first round after a strong Senior Bowl and Combine performance, but he says it's his mental attributes that set him apart from the rest. He played all four years unlike many of his contemporaries who redshirted or sat multiple years behind others, and that experience has given him leadership and preparation better than anyone else. He also called out protections at Cincinnati, and was responsible for any changes or flips that needed to occur. Ridder has the arm and athleticism to make it for sure, but questions about his accuracy have been holding him back, which Ridder has been working on, starting with his footwork. Ridder did everything he could at the various draft showcases available to him, and in what is said to be a weaker QB class Ridder could really end up anywhere. 

SOURCE: Chrissy Froyd on The Draft Network

Mar 19, 2022, 4:43 PM ET

Cincinnati QB Desmond Ridder uncorked a 70-yard bullet at his Pro Day, showing off his immense arm strength. 

Falling in love with Pro Day throws without pads on are never a good idea, but boy is it impressive to look at. Malik Willis made waves with one of his, and now Desmond Ridder seems to have topped him with an absolute missile of his own. The distance is obviously impressive, but the pace of the ball was also quite amazing, with the receiver not needing to slow down at all to catch it. There weren't any questions about Ridder's arm strength anyways, but it's nearly impossible not to be impressed with this one. 

SOURCE: Mike Renner on Twitter

Mar 24, 2022, 3:58 PM ET

Bri said:
All the talk of the arms of the other QBs and here's this guy launching a 70 yard gem.
From what I've read he can't throw it in tight spaces and was never asked to in college.  He was exposed at the Senior Bowl.

From what I've read he can't throw it in tight spaces and was never asked to in college.  He was exposed at the Senior Bowl.
It's garbage.

Which Cincy WR is in the NFL? But they were blanketed by CBs that are.

They weren't even a top top team but he's getting them to bowl games.

This time of year is Marino and Bledsoe won't do well because they can't run, Dak and Wilson aren't complete QBs and...all that jazz. We're at that absurd point.

It's garbage.

This time of year is Marino and Bledsoe won't do well because they can't run, Dak and Wilson aren't complete QBs and...all that jazz. We're at that absurd point.
Sorry, but the Marino and Bledsoe examples were weak.  All I know is what's been reported about Ridder at the Senior Bowl and it wasn't good.  That doesn't mean he won't overcome it, but with the information we have right now he is a risky prospect.  I suppose you could say that about a lot of QB prospects, namely Malik Willis, who I also wouldn't target in a start 1QB league.

I did not know Vrabel's BFF was Cincy's coach.

Yes I think that makes him likely a Titan if available but only in the sense there's 8-10? likely picked by them in the first.

I think he'll go earlier and this will be non issue

Sorry, but the Marino and Bledsoe examples were weak.  All I know is what's been reported about Ridder at the Senior Bowl and it wasn't good.  That doesn't mean he won't overcome it, but with the information we have right now he is a risky prospect.  I suppose you could say that about a lot of QB prospects, namely Malik Willis, who I also wouldn't target in a start 1QB league.
What's risky? Relatively speaking?

Dotson for Penn State isn't a first rounder now.

Guys that have done it for years seem to have been nitpicked "to death" so draft folks rave about one year wonders. I prefer the 3-4 year starters and find them less risky

What's risky? Relatively speaking?

Dotson for Penn State isn't a first rounder now.

Guys that have done it for years seem to have been nitpicked "to death" so draft folks rave about one year wonders. I prefer the 3-4 year starters and find them less risky
Go ahead and draft him then.  I don’t think he can be accurate enough in tight windows, so I’ll pass.  I was interested in him two years ago in one devy league without having a lot of information on him at the time.  The Senior Bowl exposed him.  Not really anymore I can say on him.

Accuracy is certainly Ridder's biggest concern. He had a pretty low completion percentage, and that was in an easy conference. 

That said, I don't think the Senior Bowl "exposed" him. He's a decent prospect who has his share of flaws. I do think its possible he's a Jalen Hurts type in the NFL. 

It's garbage.

Alec Pierce is likely going to be a day 2 pick this year, so its not like Ridder had nobody at all. He had more than Willis for sure, and at least in 2021, more than Howell.

Cincinnati played Notre Dame and Alabama, and beyond that, mostly poor teams. I'm not sure Ridder faced many future NFL CBs. Marcus Jones of Houston maybe?

Go ahead and draft him then.  I don’t think he can be accurate enough in tight windows, so I’ll pass.  I was interested in him two years ago in one devy league without having a lot of information on him at the time.  The Senior Bowl exposed him.  Not really anymore I can say on him.
Fair enough. I get a little too excited this time of year too, not just the draft folks. 

It's a weak class, but I would take a shot on him over anyone else to be honest. Something about his game that makes you think ,"what if"? 

I like that he went to seek the help of Palmer as well. 

It's a weak class, but I would take a shot on him over anyone else to be honest. Something about his game that makes you think ,"what if"? 

I like that he went to seek the help of Palmer as well. 
I would definitely take a flyer on the guy based on where he's projected to be drafted.

As for the "not accurate in tight window" stuff..... sounds almost identical to the folks that thought Josh Allen was a 2nd round talent.

Seth Galina of Pro Football Focus considers Cincinnati quarterback Desmond Ridder to be the most refined quarterback available for the taking in the 2022 NFL Draft.

One is hard-pressed his year to find a list of quarterback rankings first through fifth that look the exact same with similar analysis. Hardly any two analysts can agree on who the best quarterbacks in this class are and with the same reasoning. Several different names have been listed as the best quarterback in the class, one of which is Ridder (6'3/211). Seth Galina of PFF recently put Ridder as the "most refined" quarterback in the class. "He's this year's most refined and technical draft-eligible QB from his pre-snap to post-snap processing, his dropback footwork and his pocket movement," he wrote.

Mar 29, 2022, 11:47 PM ET

Like him and would like to draft him in Dynasty, but it is so hard to tell about the entire class and where they will be NFL drafted and fantasy drafted.

Users who are viewing this thread