What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

QB Desmond Ridder, ARZ (1 Viewer)

Raving.

Expected.

Every rookie QB looked like a shiny new toy in shorts at rookie camp.

I think Feliepe Franks is a fun project player and going to be interesting when hitting is allowed in camp. He's athletic and can make some nice throws. Beat him out rook. It's doable and a good challenge to shine as an athlete as well as QB who must cut down on mistakes.

Mariota rarely makes mistakes in practice (Google if ya want for stories), leads well albeit a bit quiet, and is an athlete so he's a great next challenge for the rookie.

I really like the steps or challenges in place for the rookie to overcome

Sports Illustrated's Daniel Flick believes "it seems like a matter of when, not if" Falcons QB Desmond Ridder gets to start.

Coach Arthur Smith didn't rule out Ridder earning the starting job in April's post-draft press conference. The rookie hasn't done anything to change that since OTAs. The Falcons are selling Marcus Mariota, who hasn't started since 2019, as a bridge to Ridder, the third-winningest quarterback in college history. Mariota owns a 29-32 record in seven seasons, was benched his only year with Smith in Tennessee, and has never played a full season in his career. Mariota's Smith ties have him ahead of Ridder entering training camp, but if Ridder outplays Mariota this preseason, he'll have a chance to start Week 1.

RELATED: 

Marcus Mariota

SOURCE: Sports Illustrated

Jun 11, 2022, 11:07 AM ET

Two days....me totally paraphrasing because I don't feel like watching the videos again and it was a total setup-

Marcus is way ahead of others at QB, videos of him shared by team website, quotes about how he's such a good boy, Arthur discusses how he wants it more and came with the attitude he was hoping he'd have.

Day two-

Ridder can make the throws, all the throws, and can make plays with his feet but what's most impressive is his intellect; not just smart but football smart. Been around and seen a lot of rookie QBs and he's light years ahead of where they were mentally. 

What about Marcus? Didn't he go through camp not throwing an interception? (He did late)

Ridder is processing fast. He reads the shift and calls out the adjustments and ....I'm really impressed with how he's picking up the offense and adjusting to the speed of the game.

Team website shares Ridder videos of nice plays

Arthur must absolutely completely want a QB competition.

The number of INTs is not close and Marcus is way ahead. Marcus WRs mentioned are always the ones and most days Ridder's are either not mentioned or not the ones.

The two classy QBs comment on how well the other is doing which doesn't help but I can hear Marcus' influence in Ridder. 

One day on Sirrius, they had Ridder showing his athleticism and making plays all over the field. Marcus seemed flat, made the throws but didn't run didn't roll out, not sure what was with Marcus that day.

Tate was quoted saying they were almost the same player.

If Ridder is getting backup work, Arthur can't hide it during camo with so many open practices. If he is the 1b then he must have plenty of passes to Pitts and London and even the backfield must include Patterson.

Still still still....it's really interesting how he's setting up this camp battle.

I’d be fascinated to go back through training camps for every team that’s drafted a potential QB of the future and see if any coach has ever said, “he’s nowhere near as smart or capable as we thought. People should be mocking us with derisive scorn over our talent evaluation process.”

Like what did GMs/OCs say about Drunkenmauler, Leaf or others at OTAs? 

I’m not saying Riddler isn’t all that and a bag of chips, but I have a hard time reading tea leaves over fluffy stuff like this, this early. 

Training camp ~> preseason will be a much better barometer of who’s where and whether Riddler has a chance to start.

I’m sure everyone in the falcons org would love to see it. But I’m also not surprised to hear any of them say they won’t “rule it out”. It’s such a noncommittal throw away statement. 

‘tis the season. 

Last edited by a moderator:
Brent Sobleski@brentsobleski

The Atlanta #Falcons landed B/R's QB1 in this year's third round. It came a surprise, particularly to the young man. The Falcons need to take advantage of the fortuitous turn and see exactly what Desmond Ridder can do sooner rather than later.

Rookie Desmond Ridder Must Start For Atlanta Falcons During the 2022 Campaign

...with only Marcus Mariota standing in Ridder's way, the Falcons should give Ridder every chance to emerge as the starter ...

...An NFL playbook hasn't been an insurmountable task for the Falcons rookie, though. Instead, he's adapted rather well from a mental standpoint...

..."I talked to a team who interviewed Ridder, who said that he had a plan outlined for how he was gonna beat out a veteran in a training camp setting and become a starter in this league Year 1," ...

-------------------------------------------------------------------------

Go to the link for the rest of the read.

The Athletic's Josh Kendall writes that "it sure sounds like third-round draft pick Desmond Ridder is going to make a competition" out of quarterback at training camp.

Arthur Smith has been impressed and complimentary of Ridder in OTAs and minicamp, and while we already knew that Ridder would likely be starting at some point, this could be a Russell Wilson-esque situation where he wins the job before anyone thought he would. "It won’t be surprising if Ridder takes over [Marcus] Mariota’s starting job at some point this season," Kendall writes. 

RELATED: 

Marcus Mariota

SOURCE: The Athletic

Jun 21, 2022, 4:17 PM ET

Falcons signed rookie QB Desmond Ridder to a four-year, $5.36 million contract. 

Ridder was one of the last 2022 rookies to come to terms with his team, just as Falcons rookies report to training camp. Ridder would have to have a tremendous camp to overtake presumed starter Marcus Mariota, who has a history with Atlanta head coach Arthur Smith, though The Athletic's Josh Kendall said in June that it "sure sounds like" Ridder is going to make Mariota compete for the Week 1 gig. Ridder will play at some point in what will likely be another lost season for the woeful Falcons. He's worth drafting late in superflex leagues this summer. 

RELATED: 

Marcus Mariota

SOURCE: Field Yates on Twitter 

Jul 19, 2022, 12:24 PM ET

Still think he's the most NFL ready QB.
I was ready to jump on him like the other rookies but...there wasn't much to complain of. Very impressive how he was under control and composed while the line is awful in your first NFL game.
The Falcons have a ton of WRs it seemed.
I like seeing the ol Lion making a comeback and Auden working off rust.

Ridder looked a lot like college. I'm anxious to see him against more 1s. Could definitely say he should be capable of beating backups.

Mariota looked good and the similarity in their games and running the offense was evident. Arthur's system on display.

Now they need the WRs to trust and be ready more. A lot of tight windows and the WR failed. Tons of routes did not involve getting their body in position too, just reaching.

Hesse looks like he'll stick which I wondered about. He's a future coach gem. Played QB and DL in college and then Vrabel switched him between DE and TE. I bet he's there to be a smart viewer for Pitts in the film room.

Batson is not fully back from injury. That little bugger is shockingly quick and he looked pretty ordinary. If he shows any quickness I bet he makes the team or is veteran signed, cut, signed all year. He's too quick so on a third down later in the season, he either eats up a top CB that should be covering a top WR or beats an injury fillin. Arthur learned this with Taywan Taylor years ago. It's a simple predictable trick. It doesn't matter if Batson gets ten catches on the year- it's who isn't covering a top target

Falcons QB Desmond Ridder completed 14-of-21 passes for 185 yards, one touchdown and two interceptions in Saturday's preseason game against the Jaguars.​

Playing against mostly backups, Ridder saw his first start of the preseason for Atlanta. On his first, Ridder faced pressure up the middle and immediately threw an interception to Jacksonville's Daniel Thomas. He would rebound later in the first quarter when he capped a 73-yard drive with a two-yard touchdown pass to rookie running back Tyler Allgeier in what would be his only touchdown pass of the day. Ridder now looks to take his place as Marcus Mariota's backup to start the season but will likely see the field at some point this season. He's nothing more than a dynasty stash heading into Week 1 against the Saints.
Aug 27, 2022, 6:08 PM ET

The Atlanta Journal Constitution’s Mark Bradley believes “we’ll probably see a lot” of rookie QB Desmond Ridder this year.​

The Falcons opened Week 1 with Marcus Mariota, who threw for 215 yards and rushed for 72 yards and a touchdown in a loss to New Orleans. Atlanta’s post-Ryan offense has looked quarterback friendly, with Mariota's 12 carries in Week 1 a glimpse at Ridder’s upside if/when they make the move to him. With no guaranteed money in 2023, Mariota’s leash is short if he’s not winning. How many losses it takes and whether the Falcons think they can flip the season with Ridder, the third-winningest quarterback in college history, is the question. A Week 2 matchup with the Rams has the Falcons (0-1) facing consecutive losses to start the year.
SOURCE: Atlanta Journal Constitution
Sep 16, 2022, 7:14 PM ET

NFL Network's Ian Rapoport reports the Falcons will start Desmond Ridder in Week 15 against the Saints.​

With the Falcons on a bye this week, Ridder will have some extra time to prepare for his first career start. Head coach Arthur Smith left open the possibility of Ridder starting after the team's Week 13 loss to the Steelers and now appears to have made the switch. Through the first 13 games of the season, quarterback Marcus Mariota has led the Falcons to a 5-8 record; throwing for 2,219 yards, 15 touchdowns and nine interceptions while rushing for another 84-438-4. The Falcons selected Ridder in the third round of this year's draft after he compiled over 10,000 passing yards and 80 touchdowns during his career at Cincinnati. Ridder will be on the fantasy radar as a low-end QB2 when he suits up in Week 15.
RELATED:
SOURCE: Ian Rapoport on Twitter
Dec 8, 2022, 10:40 AM ET

For those that watched him in college, how is Ridder's accuracy - seems to be the biggest knock on Mariota.

For those that watched him in college, how is Ridder's accuracy - seems to be the biggest knock on Mariota.
I'll reference Dane Bruglers draft guide when I forget about a player who need to find out this kind of info and he put that in his weakness category, saying he sails some throws and will hot and cold on accuracy and needs to be more precise with putting the ball in optimal area for his receivers to catch it.

What I do recall is that the biggest knock on him, or at least what I found most negative, was that he holds onto the ball to long which for me is one of my most disliked traits in a QB, most especially if I'm hoping that QB can help his receivers achieve production.

But mama said never sleep on the fantasy upside of a QB who runs a 4.52 40 so I picked him up in a few places last night.

Mariota was dreadful to watch vs Steelers, and I'm sure the final nail in the coffin. Wide open WRs, and with time, he was still wildly inaccurate in a very winnable game.

Ridder deserves a shot, and this is a great time to make the switch. Hope the kid does well.

I remember his Senior Bowl practices not going well and he left if memory serves. I never did find out the true reason for that.

Edited: I believe that was Alec Pierce, not Ridder. Oops.

Last edited:
Desmond Ridder as a potential preemptive pickup for SF leagues.
I did actually find him on the wire in one SF league about 3 or 4 weeks ago. He is on 0% of my SF wires right now but if he is on any other SF wires this week, I would imagine he goes for close to 100% FAAB by someone. Which is why it would have been nicer a week or two ago.
I can't say I watched him in college but I did do a bit of a look into him this offseason, watched a fair amount of film and wrote a small piece on him. His accuracy was dramatically better his last season and I think it was 2nd or 3rd in this class despite the narrative. IIRC what I found is that he actually had more % of incompletions on short passes but was elite on stuff beyond x yards, maybe 6? One thing that really caught my attention in the film in a big way, and I wasn't looking for it or expecting it, was how good Alec Pierce and Ridder worked together. Pierce really stood out to me as particularly good and the thing was IMHO they had a chemistry that allowed for Pierce to improvise and/or for Ridder to throw him open. Pierce is an athletic specimen and is great not good at blocking out defenders at the catch point. We have seen this translate at the NFL level. As this relates to Ridder and his accuracy, what I saw on film was a QB that can run, has a winning attitude and rocket arm, and has the ability to throw WRs open. Can he read defenses and all the rest of it? IDK. Rooting for him though. And I have him stashed in a lot of spots.

There are obviously lots of questions but IMO the accuracy narrative is dramatically overblown. I think he has a chance to explode at the end of the season here and win the job. It is too bad Pitts is out but I do hope he targets London and the WRs heavily. But I doubt Smith goes that route. The playcalling there is atrocious and I do fear it will set Ridder up to fail (this season). I'm hoping his talent wins out. Guess you could say I'm a believer.

I remember his Senior Bowl practices not going well and he left if memory serves. I never did find out the true reason for that.
I don't recall his practice participation or how he fared but he played in the game, threw 2 TD's.
I believe that was Alec Pierce, not Ridder, sorry about that.

"Ridder had a stellar senior season for the Bearcats as a four-year starter. He threw for 3,334 yards with 30 TDs and a 65% completion percentage, with only 8 INTs. He is second in this draft class in accuracy of throws over five air yards. He had 2,180 rushing yards over his four years along with 28 rushing TDs. He also posted a 44-6 record as a starter during that time.

Ridder’s elite athleticism shows up everywhere on film. He has a very strong arm and throws really good-looking spirals. In his 2021 highlights below, he hits his first read an awful lot, but that may or may not be a bad thing given the level of competition. He shows remarkable chemistry with his main receiving weapon, Alec Pierce. He shows he can hit tight windows in these highlights, as well as putting the ball in places only his receiver can make the play.

At the combine, Ridder checked in with an impressive 40-yard dash time of 4.52. He had a 36” vertical and 10’7” broad jump, the 2nd highest ever by a QB. All three scores were the highest among QBs in this 2022 class. This led to an overall relative size-adjusted athletic score of 9.8 out of 10 which is the 18th best for QBs since 1987 out of 831 prospects. He was also seen throwing a 70-yard pass at his pro day and has tremendous arm strength."

Good stuff @barackdhouse and @menobrown :thumbup:

It's going to be hard to trust him right off the bat being thrown to the wolves - the first matchup against the Saints in New Orleans won't be an easy one.

That said, as a London owner, I'm cautiously optimistic - the passing floor was so low with Mariota that it's hard to imagine getting any lower. And as mentioned above, we really only care about fantasy stats, so hopefully his rushing ability should provide some decent floor.

My predraft take on Ridder, was that he was a smart, mobile (though not used as a runner as much as he should have been), good decision maker, who was somewhat inaccurate, and mostly beat up on bad teams. That said, I thought he should have been drafted higher.

I can't believe it took this long. I was super high on Riddell pre-draft. He was the only 2022 QB I would have taken 1st round. Great arm strength, elite speed, and elite between the ears.

That being said. It worries me that it took this long to go to him. Atlanta has played pretty well, so many they just didn't want to rock the boat, but he should be an instant upgrade at QB.

Gets an extra week to practice with starters. Happy for this, bigly. I took him in a keeper league SFlex, and got Fields, but would really love to have 2 QBs going into the draft next year, where everyone keeps 2 QBs. I hope he flashes some stuff in his 4 games this year.

I think this is a mistake if Ridder is the future. If it's questionable and they may want a QB in the draft, then maybe.
Big fan of Ridder and still shocked he fell in the draft.
Right now though the Falcons are at this awesome point that a young team needs to be at. The fight they have, the effort....how are they in every game with that roster?
Next year they have a truckload of picks and cap space and it is all setup beautifully for them to assemble a top team.
I'd be terrified of wrecking any team attitude by a rookie throwing three INTs and losing by 20 points each week.
I'd let him roll all offseason with the A team and take over.
That's the reasonable guy above.
The FF person draft predictor side.....I hope Ridder rocks and makes everyone else wonder why he fell in the draft

Mariota to IR.
Woodside (thank you so much!) taken off Titans PS. 3-4 years, one single pass, poor preseason and AAF production but somehow the Titans kept hanging onto him.
Franks probably backs up Ridder. He's gimmicky but they do clearly like and appreciate him.
Anderson would be fun but unlikely.

Parker Hesse was a solid QB recruit and although he signed to be a QB in college, he switched to LB and DL. Titans moved him to TE and he developed into a fine player in Atlanta. Everyone has always said his football intelligence is through the roof. It was cool to hear on the radio how Hesse has been doing a sort of quiz session with Ridder during the bye.
They were saying Ridder is more than ready and has performed well in practice. Not sure if there's doubt or Ridder is just a champ covering all bases going over things w Hesse. Interesting nonetheless.

For superflex/2 QB leagues, is anyone actually starting Ridder next week in his NFL first start?

I don't have the stones to do it, but it's very tempting over Carr, who after that horrendous performance last Thursday night now has to face the Pats.

Users who are viewing this thread