What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

QB Desmond Ridder, ARZ (1 Viewer)

For superflex/2 QB leagues, is anyone actually starting Ridder next week in his NFL first start?

I don't have the stones to do it, but it's very tempting over Carr, who after that horrendous performance last Thursday night now has to face the Pats.
Of course. Losing Jimmy G, Kyler and Lamar (and Huntley?) necessitates it. But I like him over Dalton, Carr and other options I still have.

For superflex/2 QB leagues, is anyone actually starting Ridder next week in his NFL first start?

I don't have the stones to do it, but it's very tempting over Carr, who after that horrendous performance last Thursday night now has to face the Pats.
Of course. Losing Jimmy G, Kyler and Lamar (and Huntley?) necessitates it. But I like him over Dalton, Carr and other options I still have.
Thanks. Ridder scares me in his first start on the road against a hostile Saints crowd, but I agree that he seems a bit more attractive than Carr and Dalton (the former I own, the latter I can pick up). Definitely a high risk/high reward pick IMO.

Thanks. Ridder scares me in his first start on the road against a hostile Saints crowd, but I agree that he seems a bit more attractive than Carr and Dalton (the former I own, the latter I can pick up). Definitely a high risk/high reward pick IMO.
I'm not expecting much but maybe he makes some plays with his feet. I would feel better if they had more weapons around him.

I'm not expecting much but maybe he makes some plays with his feet. I would feel better if they had more weapons around him.
Yeah, I figure he can get 4 points alone from his legs. Which is all that Carr gave last week :wall:

They're missing Pitts obviously, but I think with London, Patterson and even Zacchaeus, they're not the worst weapons.

Heck, I'm starting him in a one QB league were I've had the death touch this year for QB's. Started the year with Lance and Kyler. Lance goes down and I picked up Wentz. Wentz goes down and I picked up Ryan to fill in while Kyler had the hamstring. Then Ryan gets benched and I pick up Jimmy G. Jimmy G goes down and I pick up Ridder and finally Kyler going down leaves me with just Ridder.

So starting him, not by choice. Don't have a lot of expectations but feel like he can be as serviceable as Mariotta was and might even get lucky with the rushing but my death touch for Qb's does concern me a little and maybe should concern anyone else thinking of starting him.

I might over Carr. I traded him and was so glad to. He was a total pain in fantasy this year.
Arthur's consistently said they're getting after it and planning to win as replies to stripped down offense, take it easy on the rookie etc. I'd be surprised if it were a run 50 times and only pass when necessary type game.
Risky though, for sure.
Sorry man good luck with this decision

Desmond Ridder completed 13-of-26 passes for 97 yards in the Falcons' 21-18, Week 15 loss to the Saints, adding six rushes for 38 additional yards.​

There is no way to sugarcoat it: The No. 74 overall pick was awful in his NFL debut. Averaging 3.7 yards per attempt, Ridder was lucky to escape without multiple turnovers, including one would-be giveaway near the goal line that probably should have been a 100-yard pick six. He appeared to "complete" a second half pick, but the Saints' defender couldn't get both feet down in bounds. 18 of Ridder's rushing yards came on the final play of the game, where for some unknown reason he ran out of bounds instead of trying to lateral the ball. Understandably terrified of Ridder giving the ball away, the Falcons dialed up 39 rushes, gaining a strong 239 yards in the process. Expect the exact same approach in Week 16 against the Ravens. Ridder will not be a recommended streamer.
Dec 18, 2022, 4:21 PM ET

Desmond Ridder completed 19-of-26 attempts for 169 yards in the Falcons' 20-19, Week 17 win over the Cardinals.​

Ridder's pocket presence was comically awkward at times. However, he seemed so discombobulated that it seemed to throw off the defenders as well, and he was generally able to get out of trouble. Ridder showed a good connection with Drake London, who saw eight targets and a 31% target share. Patterson was also heavily targeted, matching London with eight. Arthur Smith appears slightly more willing to call passing plays for Ridder than he was for Marcus Mariota. The rookie is still off the fantasy radar but could help facilitate a decent outing for the offense against the Buccaneers in Week 18.
Jan 1, 2023, 4:49 PM ET

I never know how to take when a rookie QB does pretty well in a clearly stripped down offense.
100 yards to 150 yards has never made me think "nice game" when going over FF stats. Watching 100-150, I think they're barely passing.

So the Falcons could draft a top QB or they could think Ridder is their future. Does 100-150 yards indicate anything?

I'm trying to think Ridder lately but I'm mostly noticing Algiers has come a long way. He's improved so much as the season carried on.

I say that because I don't think Ridder is standing out and a team only gets so many chances at a high pick. I would draft any other position but NFL teams go to that QB well til they "hit" and I'm afraid Ridder hasn't done enough

He's getting zinged by Falcons fans as the reason they didn't make the playoffs and Brady did- petty but this is the petty time of year.
Their premise is the offense degraded as he learned and since the D improved, if you plug Mariota's offense's average points in, they win a few games.

I think he showed everything you could reasonably ask. If they were .500 or better and not able to take a high profile QB, no one would discuss changing the QB for 2023.

They could draft one or have the $ to sign for one. Arthur and the GM make or break their job with this decision so ....oof I just don't know.

Plug Carr in and spend all their picks on D and that could surely be a playoff team. Superbowl winner, idk with Carr but they'd be formidable.

It's really interesting when jobs are lined up with the QBs

He's getting zinged by Falcons fans as the reason they didn't make the playoffs and Brady did- petty but this is the petty time of year.
Their premise is the offense degraded as he learned and since the D improved, if you plug Mariota's offense's average points in, they win a few games.
Might also be a reflection of seeing what Purdy is doing with the Niners. Fans often don't want to believe that Purdy is among the exceptions and part of an incredible system for QBs, while most rookie QBs struggle at first. Ridder did show signs of improvement down the stretch - whether it's enough for management remains to be seen. Can't imagine thought that he won't be asked to earn it against some reasonably strong competition brought in.

Reactions: Bri

The Athletic's Josh Kendall writes it is unclear if the Falcons will stick with Desmond Ridder as their starting quarterback because "no one inside the building is talking."​

It's not exactly a ringing endorsement of Ridder's first four NFL starts that it is an open discussion. But the Falcons, picking eighth in the draft, don't appear likely to land a franchise quarterback without trading up. The Falcons continue to play things close to the vest under Arthur Smith, who is quoted as saying in the piece: “I know everybody wants to know everything right now, but there are a lot of moving parts to it. I don’t think it’s smart business strategy ever to give away what your plan is." We'd guess the Falcons will try to add veteran help at the position, but whether it is a challenger to Ridder or someone who outright is the starter is behind the Arthur Smith curtain.
SOURCE: The Athletic
Feb 2, 2023, 2:09 PM ET

It's as if the Falcons had a class that everyone attended where they praise Ridder and yet don't commit to whether they're drafting a QB or not. Everyone. Every interview.

Good interview w Zac Taylor about Ridder and Arthur Smith if you're interested. Taylor recruited Ridder in high school and was his OC in college and apparently the three of them are close now

Falcons coach Arthur Smith said he expects Desmond Ridder "to take the next step."

Not that it's a surprise based on Taylor Heinicke's comments to the media about being the best backup that he could be for Ridder, but Smith also said the plan going forward was for Ridder to be the starter. "I thought he made significant improvement from each start ... We expect him to make another leap this offseason ... We expect significant growth from him," Smith added. Smith also refused to talk about Lamar Jackson, saying "We are going to talk about our own players."
SOURCE: Falcons.com
Mar 28, 2023 at 1:23 PM ET

Notes, observations from Day 2 of Falcons mandatory minicamp

Ridder, Ridder, chicken dinner: Every day it seems head coach Arthur Smith is asked about Desmond Ridder. It makes sense why. He's QB1 after all. But on Wednesday afternoon Smith paid the young quarterback a compliment, pointing out Ridder's instincts and anticipation of knowing where his playmakers are. The head coach said this is something Ridder did well in Cincinnati but its different now that Ridder is in a meeting room with Smith with his mental capacity on full display.
Smith went on to say the Falcons have thrown a lot at Ridder this offseason, but even in that the head coach said there's been obvious mental improvement on top of the instincts Ridder already has. Ridder had a good spring, Smith said, and they're pleased with his progress as QB1.

Zareh Kantzabedian @ZKantzFF
Do not let one bad training camp pass lead to invalid generalization about a player.“Really, really good day for Desmond Ridder. In 7-on-7 and 11-on-11 work, Ridder was 8 of 9, including a perfect 5 of 5 during 7-on-7. His one completion was a ball thrown behind Kyle Pitts, but it’s not clear whether or not Pitts turned the wrong way or Ridder just threw it behind him.” Per
@mikerothstein

XM Sirius was there yesterday. Lot of good vibes and good talk of Ridder's progress from everyone they asked

Joint practice with Fins.
Ridder checked down, threw away and was sacked a bunch.
He hit some big throws later but the Fins defense gave him trouble.
The supposed great line stunk and then woke up some also.
Bijan stuffed a bunch then broke free too.

Sounds like a bad day but could be a rust day. See what tomorrow brings

Ridder did much better today.
They started out with Mack being a beast and getting into extra curricular garbage then a sack then a penalty for kicking someone and Arthur gave the Fins the ball. (No third or fourth down)
Ridder supposedly got on them and had a good day from them on.
Mack and "the other TE" were open a lot and Arthur praised his decision making. I know FF people hate this but if a D is all over Pitts it's the smart thing to do.
Also, second day in a row Patterson got carries after Bijan and made a catch as a WR before Algeier was even in the "game."

Falcons instilled a lot of motion and cadence stuff and rushing to the line early and with the false starts of yesterday out of their system, it was time for the Fins to struggle w all that.

Ridder took off running a couple times and surprised the Dolphins

It reads like just what Arthur probably wanted.

Desmond Ridder completed 15-of-18 passes for 115 yards and a touchdown in Atlanta’s Week 1 win over the Panthers.

Ridder took four sacks but was accurate with his throws, completing 83%. The second-year quarterback connected with rookie Bijan Robinson for the game’s opening touchdown and set up the go-ahead TD in the fourth quarter with a 34-yard dart to TE Kyle Pitts. Ridder quietly had a strong preseason and it carried over in a favorable Week 1 matchup. Ridder will take on the Packers’ secondary in Week 2.

Desmond Ridder completed 15-of-18 passes for 115 yards and a touchdown in Atlanta’s Week 1 win over the Panthers.

Ridder took four sacks but was accurate with his throws, completing 83%. The second-year quarterback connected with rookie Bijan Robinson for the game’s opening touchdown and set up the go-ahead TD in the fourth quarter with a 34-yard dart to TE Kyle Pitts. Ridder quietly had a strong preseason and it carried over in a favorable Week 1 matchup. Ridder will take on the Packers’ secondary in Week 2.
It was scintillating! 83% of 115 yards passing. This game was a disaster from a fantasy protective for the wrestling. London 1 pass attemp. This coach is not going to change his ideology. He is going to run the ball just like last year. Ugh...

The problem for London/Pitts owners is that Ridder won't be replaced if the team keeps winning, irrespective of how poor he is as a passer. Same situation last year in which Mariota kept his job longer than he should have because the team was hanging in there for a good chunk of the season.

He gonna keep running or is 10 carries last week a freak occurrence?
no idea about the falcons' plans, but interesting points from https://sidelionreport.com/posts/fa...ould-be-a-big-problem-for-the-lions-in-week-3

Among the defensive problems the Detroit Lions have had through two games, rushing yards allowed to quarterbacks has probably fallen down the list a little. But an easy residual of having just one sack thus far, and at times lacking discipline in rush lanes, is the opposing quarterback finding room to run.

In Week 1, Patrick Mahomes was the Chiefs' leading rusher with 45 yards on the ground. In Week 2, Seahawks quarterback Geno Smith had 20 rushing yards on three carries. Detroit has allowed the eighth-most rushing yards to quarterbacks through two games, after allowing the most rushing yards to quarterbacks (700) last year. Even skewed by two games against Justin Fields, that's a lot of production given up on the ground to quarterbacks last season.

big WR in London, a TE like Pitts (and Jonnu I guess) ... pass catching RB's Robinson/Algier ....

and he's thrown 62/99 for 612 yards, 2 TD's and 3 INT's before today and so far, he's thrown 2 INT's

just one of the worst starting QB's in the NFL ?

when will Heinicke start ?

Users who are viewing this thread