What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

QB Geno Smith, SEA (1 Viewer)

ShaHBucks

Footballguy
That might be a compliment with the way he has played since november. He's not even average at anything.

Att: 49

Comp: 104

comp%: 47%

ypg: 106.6

TD: 0

IN: 8

Last edited by a moderator:
That might be a compliment with the way he has played since november. He's not even average at anything.

Yeesh.

I'm just thinking of all the people that wanted the Eagles to take this guy #4 overall.

to be fair gabbert was #10 overall right? Geno was a 2nd round pick... geno has excellent mobility yet the jets seem to run zero read option type plays

to be fair gabbert was #10 overall right? Geno was a 2nd round pick... geno has excellent mobility yet the jets seem to run zero read option type plays
Read option is not the answer. Gadget plays, sure, but coordinators adjusted and he'd get teed up when he's out of the pocket.

Maybe for a different topic but I wonder if the league will ever go back to giving rookie QBs a year or two to acclimate before starting. Realize he wasn't the incumbent coming in, but still, seems like he really has no chance.

To be fair, the Jets have the worst skill position players in the NFL. I don't think it's close, either. I'm not saying Geno is blameless, but it's hard to play QB in this league when you have a bunch of #4 WR's and a pair of mediocre RB's.

I think it is a but premature to call him Gabbert. However, if I owned him in a dynasty league and I had to cut him or a guy like Da'rick Rodgers, or Kelce, Franklin. I am cutting Smith

only if they didn't throw Sanchez to the Lions during the pre-season and get him hurt... atleast then they would have another option

Anyone remember how bad Eli was as a rookie? NY is an unforgiving place for a rookie QB.

That's because the read option is old news and doesn't work anymore. An NFL QB needs to be able to drop back, read coverages and find open WRs. Looking at the #1, seeing he isn't open and taking off and running ain't cutting it anywhere.

His WRs blow and probably are one of the worst crews around but so did Oakland's until a drop back passer was inserted.

Maybe for a different topic but I wonder if the league will ever go back to giving rookie QBs a year or two to acclimate before starting. Realize he wasn't the incumbent coming in, but still, seems like he really has no chance.
I think there will be some one who will try it going forward. They will need a patient owner though. Too many busts like Ponder, Gabbert, locker that get destroyed early on and have to try and salvage a career when they could have benefited from some seasoning under an apprenticeship.

To be fair, the Jets have the worst skill position players in the NFL. I don't think it's close, either. I'm not saying Geno is blameless, but it's hard to play QB in this league when you have a bunch of #4 WR's and a pair of mediocre RB's.
very good point. Think of the difference of Brady with and without gronk. If you have no difference makers it makes things very difficult.

very good point. Think of the difference of Brady with and without gronk. If you have no difference makers it makes things very difficult.
Geno's last 5 games he's avg 2 ppg. I feel bad for anyone with season tickets. RIP fireman Ed

Geno's last 5 games he's avg 2 ppg. I feel bad for anyone with season tickets. RIP fireman Ed
no question he's been bad. all i'm saying is he's getting no help.

I think everyone touched on the all the key points. Which is why I question the purpose of this thread. To say Geno isn't a potential franchise QB? In reality there are only about 10 QBs any team wants to build around these days.

He is a 2nd round rookie who plays on a team with by far the worst skill position players in the NFL. BY FAR. Geno has a lot of growing to do. He was thrown on the fire and had his ups and downs. Like any Rookie QB, you get the good with the bad.

I'm not a JETS fan, or a Geno fan, but people really need to work on their expectation management. The stats quoted are meaningless.

I think everyone touched on the all the key points. Which is why I question the purpose of this thread. To say Geno isn't a potential franchise QB? In reality there are only about 10 QBs any team wants to build around these days.

He is a 2nd round rookie who plays on a team with by far the worst skill position players in the NFL. BY FAR. Geno has a lot of growing to do. He was thrown on the fire and had his ups and downs. Like any Rookie QB, you get the good with the bad.

I'm not a JETS fan, or a Geno fan, but people really need to work on their expectation management. The stats quoted are meaningless.
So not throwing a TD in over a month is meaningless?

The biggest difference between Gabbert and Geno is that Gabbert was afraid to throw downfield. In 2011,Gabbert's average passed traveled just 7.8 yards downfield, 27th in the league. It was 7.9 last year, 28th in the league.

Geno's average pass is 9.8 yards downfield, #1 in the league. They're very different types of quarterbacks. I think if Geno had a good line and good receivers, he could play well in a vertical offense. I don't think the same of Gabbert.

Not fair to grade Geno or anybody on a team as devoid of offensive talent as the Jets.Rex is COY for getting 5 wins out of this crew

Agreed. There was another thread about this in the preseason and I think the Jets do have the worst talent level on offense even below the Jags and Raiders. How many of their starters would start for another team?

Why not post his stats from the entire season. Cherry picking his worst stretch.Att: 179

Comp: 327

Comp%: 54.7

YPG: 188

TD: 11 (3 Rush)

INT: 8

LarryAllen said:

Why not post his stats from the entire season. Cherry picking his worst stretch.Att: 179

Still horrible numbers.

Not saying he is good or anything, cause he isn't (at least not now), but good grief it sure doesn't help to throw to nothing but ridiculous trash.

These are the kind of numbers a bad QB puts up when he has the worst targets in football.

As a Browns fan I know me some bad quarterbacking. I think there is a prtty good chance Geno is better whan Weeden, but weeden has had some decent games because he occasionally throws a so-so pass to a guy who happily takes it 70 yards to the house for him.

He needs more recievers <_<
That won't make a difference. I expect them to draft one of the top WRs in this years draft. Gotta feel sorry for that guy. This guy sucks and sucks bad.

However, currently he is the best QB in New York. Word has it though that the Giants are finally going to fire KillDrive.

The biggest difference between Gabbert and Geno is that Gabbert was afraid to throw downfield. In 2011,Gabbert's average passed traveled just 7.8 yards downfield, 27th in the league. It was 7.9 last year, 28th in the league.

Geno's average pass is 9.8 yards downfield, #1 in the league. They're very different types of quarterbacks. I think if Geno had a good line and good receivers, he could play well in a vertical offense. I don't think the same of Gabbert.
I'd say one of the biggest problems for Smith and this offense is that Hill has turned into such a bust. He doesn't even have Shorts & Blackmon like Gabbert did. He lost Keller, who was always digging Sanchez out of trouble. Finally, Smith could have well used a couple years on the bench learning, instead he gets thrown into the Meadowlands fire.

However for FF the Gabbert comparison is apt because the point is you want to start the DST that is playing him - though I will always point out the Jets appear to be much better at home than they are on the road

Still horrible numbers.
Both sets of numbers make no sense. Completions > Attempts?

Not even Joe Montana di that.

I'd say one of the biggest problems for Smith and this offense is that Hill has turned into such a bust. He doesn't even have Shorts & Blackmon like Gabbert did. He lost Keller, who was always digging Sanchez out of trouble. Finally, Smith could have well used a couple years on the bench learning, instead he gets thrown into the Meadowlands fire.

However for FF the Gabbert comparison is apt because the point is you want to start the DST that is playing him - though I will always point out the Jets appear to be much better at home than they are on the road
To be fair, Gabbert as a rookie walked into a terrible situation also. He was suddenly thrust into the starting role when they unexpectedly cut Leftwich. He had a bad OL and his WR his rookie year were Mike Thomas, Jarrett Dillard, and Jason Hill. Shorts was a special teamer who only caught 2 passes.

Just for kicks...

QB A's Rookie Season (10 games):

-- 53.3 Completion Percentage (201/377)

-- 2267 yards (6.0 YPA)

-- 13 TDs

-- 20 INTs

QB B's Rookie Season (14 games):

-- 55.3 Completion Percentage (210/380)

-- 2642 yards (7.0 YPA)

-- 10 TDs

-- 21 INTs

Second one is obviously Geno since it's his thread. But while Geno has been throwing to Steven Hill, David Nelson, the ghost of Kellen Winslow, Jeremy Kerley for part of the time, and Santonio Holmes for part of the time, QB A was throwing to Kevin Smith, Maurice Morris, Bryant Johnson, Brandon Pettigrew, and some dude named Calvin Johnson.

Geno's getting hammered for the INTs, and he should - he's making way too many mistakes. But he's got NO ONE to throw the ball to... and it's not like they're supporting him with a power run game that he's hiding behind. Stafford threw only 1 less pick than Geno has in 4 fewer games (over the same number of pass attempts - roughly) his rookie season, and there's no doubt his receiving corps was vastly superior. Should also be noted Geno's added nearly 3X the rushing yards Stafford brought to the table.

I think the Jets would be pretty happy if Geno turned out to be Matthew Stafford... way too early to close the book on the kid.

I think that it is too early to declare him the next Gabbert; however, it is clear that he will need to compete for the starting QB job in 2014:

Rotoworld:

One longtime NFL personnel man told ESPN New York he thinks Geno Smith's body is "too soft," and questioned Smith's passion for football.
"Does he love football or does he like football?" the talent evaluator asked rhetorically. "I don't think you just hand him the job," CBS' Rich Gannon added. "I think you make it a competitive situation. They have to get better at that position. They need more depth and talent there, and I anticipate that will happen this offseason." GM John Idzik has declined to commit to Geno as his 2014 starter, which is telling after Idzik made Smith the 39th overall pick in his first ever draft. Expect the Jets to pursue veteran competition as Gannon suggested, perhaps free agent Michael Vick or Matt Schaub once he's cut by Houston.

Source: ESPN New York
Coach Rex Ryan said Geno Smith came a "million miles" in his rookie season.

"There are very few players that grew as much as Geno did," Ryan said. "He had to come a million miles… and he did. You saw our team ascending and I think part of that is the way Geno played." Smith finished his up-and-down rookie campaign on a high note, posting QB ratings of 91.7 and 83.9 in Weeks 16 and 17 respectively. However, as much praise as Ryan heaped on Smith, the coach wouldn't commit to Smith as his 2014 starter. "We’ll see who’s on our roster before we make that decision," Ryan said. Smith will likely face competition this summer, but we'd expect him to be the Week 1 starter, barring injury.

Jan 31 - 1:01 PM

Source: New York Daily News
Jets GM John Idzik declined to commit to Geno Smith as his 2014 starting quarterback.

Smith started all 16 games as a rookie, averaging just 190.3 passing yards per day while throwing 21 interceptions with four lost fumbles and 12 touchdowns. The Jets aren't just going to hand him the gig for next season. "We're all excited about having Geno as part of the Jets but we will always look to improve every position in any manner we can ... We'll look at quarterbacks, yes we'll look at quarterbacks," said Idzik. The New York Daily News expects Smith to compete with a draft pick or free agent acquisition in training camp. Mark Sanchez is expected to be released.

Jan 1 - 10:54 AM

Source: New York Daily News

He made some progress last year but he needs to make more this year. Give him the reigns but have a solid backup plan if he regresses. I'm not sure Vick or Schaub would want to go to the Jets as i think they'd want to go someplace where they have a bit better chance to start next year, not to mention their offensive weapons are among the weakest in the league.

He made some progress last year but he needs to make more this year. Give him the reigns but have a solid backup plan if he regresses. I'm not sure Vick or Schaub would want to go to the Jets as i think they'd want to go someplace where they have a bit better chance to start next year, not to mention their offensive weapons are among the weakest in the league.
Maybe Vick could want to play for Marty Mornhinweg again??

Maybe Vick could want to play for Marty Mornhinweg again??
Maybe, but Vick has made it clear he wants to start. He may end up with the Jets but only if noone else will give him a better opportunity.

Rotoworld:

Geno Smith is working out with former NFL QB Chris Weinke this offseason.
Smith also worked out with Weinke in the run up to last year's Combine. Weinke tutored Cam Newton in 2011. It's only notable in that Smith appears to be taking every step in trying to improve on his shaky rookie campaign. It's possible the Jets will push Smith with a veteran free agent or draft pick, but he's the heavy favorite to be under center in Week 1.

Source: ESPN New York

I am not a huge Geno fan (I think he will likely top out around where Sanchez was), but it is tough to judge him when he has nothing to work with. Sanchez tossed 26 TDs in 2011 with Keller, Holmes and Plax (still no great shakes which is why I don't believe the story is done on Sanchez); Smith had Kerley (average at best slot guy) and Stephen Hill (non-developing version of Plax), and Cumberland/Winslow. The pass-catching situation is so bad, it is reminiscent of the days before Jacksonville had Mike Thomas/Blackmon/Shorts. If you did a 12 team FF draft that was 20 rounds, not one Jet pass catcher would be selected.

This is why I think they need to be aggressive in FA and get a WR or two. I really don't care if they pick up two #2s and try to make it work, but they need something in order to fairly judge Smith. Even going WR in the 1st is not enough...they can't afford to wait or else by the time drafted WRs develop, they will have lost the prime of Mangold and Brick.

Rotoworld:

Jets coach Rex Ryan offered support for beleaguered second-year QB Geno Smith at the NFL Scouting Combine.

Rex stated he believes Geno is "going in the right direction," citing some late-season passer rating stats and the Jets' stretch-run won-loss record. Smith's rookie year was mostly a mega-disappointment, finishing with a 12:21 TD-to-INT ratio and pathetic 5.3 adjusted yards-per-attempt average. Jets GM John Idzik has been openly noncommittal on Smith as the team's 2014 starter.

Source: Manish Mehta on Twitter

With the except of his awful November, Geno wasn't that bad. But November was horrendous:

Code:
        Split 	Value 	G 	W 	L 	T 	Cmp 	Att 	Cmp% 	Yds 	TD 	Int 	Rate 	Y/A 	AY/A 	A/G 	Y/G 	Att 	Yds 	Y/A 	TD 	A/G 	Y/G 	Rec 	Yds 	Y/R 	TD 	R/G 	Y/G 	TD 	PtsMonth 	September 	4 	2 	2 	0 	78 	136 	57.35% 	1090 	4 	8 	68.6 	8.01 	5.96 	34.0 	272.5 	16 	85 	5.31 	1 	4.0 	21.3 	0 	0 		0 	0.0 	0.0 	1 	6	October 	4 	2 	2 	0 	72 	117 	61.54% 	792 	4 	5 	75.2 	6.77 	5.53 	29.3 	198.0 	14 	69 	4.93 	1 	3.5 	17.3 	0 	0 		0 	0.0 	0.0 	1 	6	November 	3 	1 	2 	0 	25 	64 	39.06% 	345 	0 	5 	24.5 	5.39 	1.88 	21.3 	115.0 	10 	24 	2.40 	1 	3.3 	8.0 	1 	13 	13.00 	0 	0.3 	4.3 	1 	6	December 	5 	3 	2 	0 	72 	126 	57.14% 	819 	4 	3 	77.4 	6.50 	6.06 	25.2 	163.8 	32 	188 	5.88 	3 	6.4 	37.6 	0 	0 		0 	0.0 	0.0 	3 	18

With the except of his awful October, Geno wasn't that bad. But October was horrendous:

Split Value G W L T Cmp Att Cmp% Yds TD Int Rate Y/A AY/A A/G Y/G Att Yds Y/A TD A/G Y/G Rec Yds Y/R TD R/G Y/G TD PtsMonth September 4 2 2 0 78 136 57.35% 1090 4 8 68.6 8.01 5.96 34.0 272.5 16 85 5.31 1 4.0 21.3 0 0 0 0.0 0.0 1 6 October 4 2 2 0 72 117 61.54% 792 4 5 75.2 6.77 5.53 29.3 198.0 14 69 4.93 1 3.5 17.3 0 0 0 0.0 0.0 1 6 November 3 1 2 0 25 64 39.06% 345 0 5 24.5 5.39 1.88 21.3 115.0 10 24 2.40 1 3.3 8.0 1 13 13.00 0 0.3 4.3 1 6 December 5 3 2 0 72 126 57.14% 819 4 3 77.4 6.50 6.06 25.2 163.8 32 188 5.88 3 6.4 37.6 0 0 0 0.0 0.0 3 18
November you mean?

<< Insert overlay of injuries to Kerley and Holmes>>

I'd bet Geno is significantly better next year if the Jets add an Eric Decker and Marquise Lee combo, hypothetically.

WVU homer here

Geno is so different than Sanchez. Geno will work and work and work. There will be no question about his commitment to getting better. This wont guarantee squat, but he wants to be better.

Will Geno be the QB the JEts need him to be? I think so, but see my opening statement.

In college he ran a lot of safe slants, shovel passes and bubble screens like Gabbert did. As a rookie his AY/A was 5.3. I don't see how he becomes a verticle threat, dissecting def downfield all of a sudden.

Users who are viewing this thread