What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

QB Hendon Hooker, DET (1 Viewer)

Really hoping my first 6 picks go well enough that I can grab him at 13th overall. I don’t know he’ll make it to 25th by the time Draft SZN & known landing spot come around.

In his evaluation it’s difficult to get past his age, especially since he’ll need a developmental period.
I trust his development a little more than Richardson or Levis though. Feel like he is starting from a more advanced point, even if his physical tools aren’t equal.

I’m more concerned about the knock that he’s a 1/2 field QB.

The only player in NFL history who has been mocked to all 32 teams prior to the draft...will be very interesting to see how high he goes and to who...perfect addition to any team that does not have an upper-tier starter.
I feel like the Lions are the perfect landing spot. They have the picks in drafts positions to take him, they have Goff to keep the seat warm while he heals up & develops.

I’d personally love that, as many teams won’t be able to afford to wait while I’m in full rebuild and will happily throw an early 3rd at him.

The only player in NFL history who has been mocked to all 32 teams prior to the draft...will be very interesting to see how high he goes and to who...perfect addition to any team that does not have an upper-tier starter.
I feel like the Lions are the perfect landing spot. They have the picks in drafts positions to take him, they have Goff to keep the seat warm while he heals up & develops.

I’d personally love that, as many teams won’t be able to afford to wait while I’m in full rebuild and will happily throw an early 3rd at him.

I like Hooker but he is only 2 years younger than Goff. Hard to believe that Goff just turned 28, 1 year older than Mahomes. Hooker will probably miss most of next season, then it takes 1-2 years to learn the pro game he will be pushing 30.

I like Hooker but he is only 2 years younger than Goff. Hard to believe that Goff just turned 28, 1 year older than Mahomes. Hooker will probably miss most of next season, then it takes 1-2 years to learn the pro game he will be pushing 30.
Age isn’t as relevant as contract.

How/why is he so old?

How/why is he so old?
Because he was born 01/13/1998.

True but Goff is playing at a high level right now.

True but Goff is playing at a high level right now.

How/why is he so old?

Same with Bennett from Georgia. Might be 19 when they get to college, then red shirt or transfer, injury red shirt, covid year, then we have geezers playing college ball.

Who do see drafting him? I've seen mock drafts placing him anywhere from the 2nd to 4th round. He's too good to fall for most teams to take him as a backup. At 26 during next season, he seems too old to be drafted by some teams to sit for 2-3 years and learn.

He projects as a solid starter and probably would've been a 1st round pick without the ACL injury.

Tampa - Mature, win now roster with limited cap space. Baker on a one year deal. Trask is there. Not sold on Trask, but would they draft draft another QB in the 1st or 2nd round after spending a pick on him?

Tennessee - first team to meet with Hendon at the Senior Bowl and have a meeting scheduled. Tannehill in last year of contract, a new GM in a rebuild with the roster. RPO offense which seems to play to his strengths. Titans are projected as a bad team next year. Do they draft Hooker or tank for a shot at Caleb Williams or Drake Maye next year? Where does Malik Willis fit in?

Detroit - Up and coming team with two 2nd round picks who apparenty want to draft a backup for Goff. I've seen Hooker mocked to them at 55. Goff had a GREAT year last year and they're projected to win the division. Not sure why Lions aren't sold on him or worried about regression. They have a ton of weapons and may draft more.

Baltimore - No idea what will happen with Lamar Jackson and Tyler Huntley. Baltimore seems like the kind of team to recognize Hooker's value, but they're weak at wideout ( I assume they draft one high). Would they want Hooker in that running offense coming off the ACL tear? They currently don't have a 2nd round pick.

Minnesota - Cousins in last year of his contract. No 2nd round pick.

Dallas - like Hooker but just resigned Cooper Rush for two years.

He's not lasting until the third.

The way he is being spoken of, projected and, most importantly, the way rookie contracts are structured with the 5th year option for 1st rounders, by the time the draft rolls around teams will have to trade up to 22-32 overall to make sure they get him.

he seems too old to be drafted by some teams to sit for 2-3 years and learn.
The injury will limit him this year but he has 45 games of experience in college, 24 as a starter and has learned two offenses already. He should be one of the most game ready QBs coming out.
probably would've been a 1st round pick without the ACL injury.
💯
Tampa - Mature, win now roster with limited cap space.
I don't think TB is a win-now team at this point, they have front end talent but the cap is killing their depth across the board. They are win-now the same way the Rams were last season. This team isn't built to withstand the grind of a full season and next year will be a full rebuild.
Tennessee - first team to meet with Hendon at the Senior Bowl and have a meeting scheduled. Tannehill in last year of contract, a new GM in a rebuild with the roster. RPO offense which seems to play to his strengths
Interesting spot. Hooker can move but was he an RPO guy in college? In 24 starts with Tennessee he had near 70% accuracy, over 9 y/a and a staggering 58:5 TD to Int rate. I think this guy can run any offense.
Baltimore - Would they want Hooker in that running offense coming off the ACL tear? The
Another interesting landing spot, particularly if they work a trade of Lamar. They did change OCs so I wouldn't bank on the offense being nearly as run heavy this year.

As a Raider fan I would love to see them work some deals to move back into the late 1st round, or drop down from #7, and grab this guy.

Grop is solid but he isn't a long term solution and his contract reflects that fact. If he can stay healthy until mid/late November, big if considering his history, Hooker should be close to returning to the field.

Perfect guy to build around for 2024 and beyond.

System pumped him up. Not many tight window throws from him. Not saying he can't make them, but he didn't really have to.

McDaniels always seems to favor quick decision-making and reads from his QBs. Radiers are a possibility, guess I fugred they'd probably be more enamored with someone like Tanner McKee.

OHIO STATE QB C.J. STROUD IS NO. 1 PROSPECT ON CHRIS SIMMS’ 2023 NFL DRAFT QUARTERBACK RANKINGS, AVAILABLE NOW ON “CHRIS SIMMS UNBUTTONED” PODCAST

Excerpt:

No. 3: Hendon Hooker, Tennessee

“Why is this guy not getting more buzz? What is there not to like? … All I know is I saw a really good-looking, on the money, pocket passing quarterback who makes great decisions, and like C.J. Stroud, is way more athletic than people are giving him credit for. And where he might be even better than C.J. Stroud, and definitely better than Bryce Young, is his ability to see over the line and throw over the line…Totally unaffected by the pass rush. That’s where I give him tons of credit. Decision-making, that’s another one where I go it’s really off-the-charts good. The amount of NFL, high-level throws. I just mean in the pocket, 12-yard out route. In the pocket, trash around you, 15-yard in-cut…he does all of that. That’s where I loved Hendon Hooker. His motion is not my favorite. He’s a natural thrower of the football, but his motion is a little too vertical…There’s the ACL and the age thing, that’s the concern with Hendon Hooker. If you’re going off film, I don’t know how he’s not in the top quarterback conversation.”

System pumped him up. Not many tight window throws from him. Not saying he can't make them, but he didn't really have to.
Been reading up on Heupel's offense since your post and I see what you mean.

The constant super wide sets and super up-tempo are putting tons of pressure on college defenses and allowing a lot of separation for the receivers.

I don't think it's so gimmicky that his ability to read defenses has been compromised, the tempo may help a little, but that offense won't translate to the NFL and he will need to prove he can make tougher, tight window throws.

Users who are viewing this thread