What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

QB Jameis Winston, NO (7 Viewers)

LionOfGosforth said:
Same boat, Garropolo injured, Fitz/Winston merry go round. Picked up Mayfield, not bad but inconsistent Got so sick of it, I traded for Wentz and he cost me a win this week too by scoring ZERO. So jealous of those in my league with set and forget QBs like Mahomes and Brees.
are you me?

literally same exact play by play except im in a 2 qb league and have wilson as well. Lost Garap, rode fitz till he crashed, added Bake, wasn’t getting enough so ponied up for Wentz. Back to fitz over wilson last two weeks- no throwing FAAB @ Winston to have 3 solid QBs hopefully although after last week, I’m worried about wentzWentz

Mahomes owner, picked up Jameis for Week 12. He's at home and has a get-right spot vs. a shaky secondary. If he can get protection he's got a shot at a decent game.

are you me?

literally same exact play by play except im in a 2 qb league and have wilson as well. Lost Garap, rode fitz till he crashed, added Bake, wasn’t getting enough so ponied up for Wentz. Back to fitz over wilson last two weeks- no throwing FAAB @ Winston to have 3 solid QBs hopefully although after last week, I’m worried about wentzWentz
That's pretty weird lol! Well now we both have a decision this week. Wentz, Winston or Mayfield? Figure Mayfield's upside aint huge so i'm picking between the other two. Wentz, who already lit up the Giants once but coming off the worst game imaginable, or Winston who has a decent shot at big numbers. I'm thinking Winston...not 100% yet. I suppose you could go Wilson, I don't have that option.

Last edited by a moderator:
That's pretty weird lol! Well now we both have a decision this week. Wentz, Winston or Mayfield? Figure Mayfield's upside aint huge so i'm picking between the other two. Wentz, who already lit up the Giants once but coming off the worst game imaginable, or Winston who has a decent shot at big numbers. I'm thinking Winston...not 100% yet. I suppose you could go Wilson, I don't have that option.
Yea, I need to pick 2 of the 3.

leaning Wentz and Wilson until I see it from jameis but then my gut says go with the two dudes who are gonna throw it 35+ in Wentz and Jameis.....

ahhhhh I’m sure I’ll pick wrong

The whole point of sunk costs is that you're not supposed to worry about them. If the Glazers have overcome the irrational attachment people typically have to them, they should be applauded.

But it will probably more be a case that the only way to recruit a top coach/GM is by promising them they will have the opportunity to develop their own QB.
Are we under the impression Tampa couldn't win with Winston at QB running this offense, or someone else's offense, if the defense wasn't somewhat improved?  They've lost 5 games where they scored 27+ points.  Certainly the QB play, especially turnovers, have contributed to some of those losses.  But, there are so many weapons here it seems silly to start over with a rookie QB or journeyman free agent just out of spite for Jameis.

They're only committed to him, technically, through next year anyway.  Re-tool the coach/schemes, and see if anything changes with a full off-season free of distractions.

Are we under the impression Tampa couldn't win with Winston at QB running this offense, or someone else's offense, if the defense wasn't somewhat improved?  They've lost 5 games where they scored 27+ points.  Certainly the QB play, especially turnovers, have contributed to some of those losses.  But, there are so many weapons here it seems silly to start over with a rookie QB or journeyman free agent just out of spite for Jameis.

They're only committed to him, technically, through next year anyway.  Re-tool the coach/schemes, and see if anything changes with a full off-season free of distractions.
My armchair assessment is that he is a broad spectrum of tremendous and horrendous and after 45 plus starts (?), there's not much sign of him expunging that "horrendous" from his game. The ability he has is obvious and enticing but the "awful" always overshadows it sooner or later. Tampa needs to consider that the time to attribute this to youth or inexperience or supporting cast may be past. There are "data points" of conventional wisdom that can be used to argue it's too early to give up on him but what if he just is what he is? I don't see a player right now that is going to put them on a play-off trajectory against QBs that are (generally speaking) far less prone to self-destruct. I'm not really factoring in the knucklehead part either because there are enough enduring issues on the field but if Tampa needs a "tie-breaker" for their decision-making process, he appears to be a knucklehead.

Jameis Winston completed 29-of-38 passes for 312 yards and two touchdowns in the Bucs' Week 12 win over the 49ers.

He added seven carries for 24 yards. Most importantly, Winston avoided turnovers in a high-efficiency effort, also taking just one sack and finding Adam Humphries (28 yards) and Cameron Brate (6) for scores. Winston's ups and downs have been maddeningly frustrating all year, but this is the kind of performance he is capable of when on his game. Winston will remain a high-upside QB1 play when Tampa Bay hosts a burnable Carolina defense next.
Again, Mahomes on Bye so I'm happy.

He's a streaky dude but can be quite effective from a FF standpoint. Glad to scoop him up this week since Watson has been relegated to QB2 status due to play calling.

He's basically auditioning for his career down the stretch here and with that defense, it sets up real well for a good finish.

Flawless game today, albeit against a pretty bad team. But, the Bucs are a pretty bad team.

Should be interesting to see how he does against the Panthers. 

How many more times will he be benched before the season ends? Oof
Fitz started 4 games and was benched.

Winston started 3 games and was benched.

Fitz started 3 games and was benched.

Winston has started 1 game so...... week 14 or 15?

In reality he will be fine if he continues to play this way (big if)...... be selective taking chances down the field, check down when necessary (TEs and RBs had 10 catches), be comfortable punting and playing the field position game.  Obviously all of that is easier to do when the defense is actually getting some stops.

Fitz started 4 games and was benched.

Winston started 3 games and was benched.

Fitz started 3 games and was benched.

Winston has started 1 game so...... week 14 or 15?

In reality he will be fine if he continues to play this way (big if)...... be selective taking chances down the field, check down when necessary (TEs and RBs had 10 catches), be comfortable punting and playing the field position game.  Obviously all of that is easier to do when the defense is actually getting some stops.
and that right there has been the general problem with Winston and Bucs quarterbacks in general. The defense has been so historically bad that they are usually come from behind Road. Well that's good for passing yards and there will be some touchdowns and when I called garbage time, and also lets defenses become more opportunities with pass-rush and leads to more turnovers as well. Somebody like Jameis who has such a winning competitive Street will still try to force the ball in an attempt to win the game compared to somebody like Derek Carr or throw the ball away on 4th down. so I think a lot of the knock on Jameis as a quarterback is due to bad defense play and improve next year or should he end up on another. You will see a very good quarterback.

This is much easier to do when the defense doesn't give up TD's on every single drive.  There have been many times where they get down so quickly it's impossible to establish a running game or play field position.  They have to push the ball down the field constantly, which leads to interceptions, sack fumbles, and negative plays. 

and that right there has been the general problem with Winston and Bucs quarterbacks in general. The defense has been so historically bad that they are usually come from behind Road. Well that's good for passing yards and there will be some touchdowns and when I called garbage time, and also lets defenses become more opportunities with pass-rush and leads to more turnovers as well. Somebody like Jameis who has such a winning competitive Street will still try to force the ball in an attempt to win the game compared to somebody like Derek Carr or throw the ball away on 4th down. so I think a lot of the knock on Jameis as a quarterback is due to bad defense play and improve next year or should he end up on another. You will see a very good quarterback.
So true.  Should have read your post before submitting mine.  Jameis takes the brunt of the criticism, but he wouldn't have to try to play hero if the team wasn't in such dire need of one all the time.

This is much easier to do when the defense doesn't give up TD's on every single drive.  There have been many times where they get down so quickly it's impossible to establish a running game or play field position.  They have to push the ball down the field constantly, which leads to interceptions, sack fumbles, and negative plays. 
To be fair to the TB defense, here are Winston's 7 turnovers in the Cincy and Cleveland games......

Vs Cincy
Game tied, TB defense forces turnover on downs.  Winston INT
Trailing by 7, Winston INT
Trailing by 11, TB defense forces punt.  Winston INT
Trailing by 11, TB defense forces punt.  Winston INT

Vs. Clevland
Leading by 14, TB defense forces punt.  Winston INT
Leading by 14, TB defense forces punt.  Winston fumble
Game tied, TB defense forces punt.  Winston INT

Another really good game. Multiple times today where he would have previously forced it but he just took the sack or scrambled away. 

Jameis Winston - QB -  Buccaneers

Speaking at Monday's season-ending presser, Bucs GM Jason Licht said Jameis Winston would remain the team's starting quarterback in 2019.

"He has done some amazing things," Licht said of Winston, who was both suspended and benched in 2018. "There’s a lot to like about Jamies and he’ll be here next year." Winston is still only 25 (next week), but he has made startlingly-little progress across four NFL seasons. He is still working from a high floor, however, and theoretically has a next step to take. Winston is only under contract through next year.

Source: Greg Auman on Twitter 

Dec 31 - 1:53 PM

Winston could still be very good.  He's really really young for a QB at this point in his career (24) and needs to mature, but the upside is definitely there.  It's hard to tell if coaching held him and the team back or not. 

The Bucs could look really, really stupid if and when they let Winston walk and he matures and thrives under good coaching. I'm guessing they would like to avoid that for multiple reasons. 

Winston could still be very good.  He's really really young for a QB at this point in his career (24) and needs to mature, but the upside is definitely there.  It's hard to tell if coaching held him and the team back or not. 

The Bucs could look really, really stupid if and when they let Winston walk and he matures and thrives under good coaching. I'm guessing they would like to avoid that for multiple reasons. 
He's not going to mature. 

His birth certificate says he's young but on the other hand, he's also been a starter from day one apart from the times he's been bench-ably bad. A couple consecutive games of "good Jameis" provides no comfort that "bad Jameis" won't suddenly reappear. He's a tremendous physical talent when he isn't throwing "what on earth did you see there?!?" type interceptions. Can you coach that out of him at this point? Colour me skeptical...

kittenmittens said:

People thought the same thing about Jay Cutler. "The right coach can fix him." I don't think you can fix what is wrong with Winston and that is between his ears. I would be interested in trying if he was a decent guy I could pull for but he's a scumbag on top of being a knucklehead.

Grahamburn said:
There's only one job opening with a QB better than Jameis, so I don't know what's so bad about that.
This is highly debatable - and definitely depends on whether one thinks Darnold and Mayfield build on their rookie seasons - and I’m actually some one that believes Winston still has potential. My guess however is most coaching candidates would favor being tied to Rodgers, Mayfield and Darnold over Winston at this point.

He's got 5 years of bad decisions on and off the field. He's gonna need a lot more than 5 games before I think about betting on him. 
That’s cool but I don’t care even a little bit what you do. I’m talking about the Bucs. 

Users who are viewing this thread