What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

QB Jameis Winston, NO (4 Viewers)

Jameis Winston completed 29-of-44 passes for 335 yards and two touchdowns with eight rushing yards on two carries Sunday in the Buccaneers’ Week 9 loss to Seattle.

Winston absorbed two sacks for a loss of 16 yards. Famous Jameis came locked and loaded for Sunday's shootout, reaching deep into his bags of tricks in arguably his best performance of the season. It helps when you have two studs to lean on and Winston was certainly cognizant of those weapons, firing 19 completions worth 241 yards to the standout duo of Mike Evans (12-180-1) and Chris Godwin (7-61-0). Winston wasn't flawless—he committed a costly fumble in the fourth quarter and his deflected touchdown pass to Breshad Perriman probably should have been intercepted. But even with those slip-ups factored in, Sunday still represented a strong performance by the former Heisman winner who held his own in a showdown with future Hall of Famer Russell Wilson. Next up for Winston are the Cardinals, who just yielded four touchdowns to Jimmy Garoppolo in Week 9.

Nov 3, 2019, 7:50 PM ET

Really hate that he's probably not going to stay in Tampa and likely goes on to success with another franchise. 

The Bucs will end up with some dope like Dalton or Mariota and continue the suck.

Really hate that he's probably not going to stay in Tampa and likely goes on to success with another franchise. 

The Bucs will end up with some dope like Dalton or Mariota and continue the suck.
I have found myself wondering where he could be successful. This team and his game are built around him just slinging it.

I have found myself wondering where he could be successful. This team and his game are built around him just slinging it.
Watch him end up replacing some aging vet like Rivers or Big Ben. Actually the Steelers would probably be an excellent fit, even if Winston has to sit for a year.

Is Winston a good enough asset still, to be handed a job elsewhere, or is he likely to compete for a job?

You know, its funny in retrospect, but I remember Mike Mayock(I think, it was somebody doing the 2015 draft) saying he thought Winston would have been a better fit in Tennessee, and Mariota would have been a better fit in Tampa Bay, I think that was based on the coaching staffs at the time, but still a mildly interesting what if.

Last edited by a moderator:

He can't be successful with Arians, is there really any hope he could be successful elsewhere? 

He can't be successful with Arians, is there really any hope he could be successful elsewhere? 
Probably not.  I won't bag on him for his W/L record since it is hard to blame a QB for losing games 40-34 and 37-26, but the guy is an interception machine.  26 interceptions in the last season and a half (and that is with only starting 9 games last season), and that is with having one of the best WR corps in the NFL both last year and this year.  Imagine what his numbers would look like on a team with average wide receivers.  

Now that Jones has secured the starting RB spot, I need this guy to step his game up, hand the ball off to Jones 25-30 times and be happy with wins as a game manager.

He's a terrible NFL quarterback and a decent fantasy football quarterback. He's always been. I even have him on my team. 

He’s on pace for 4800 yards, 32 touchdowns and a mind-boggling 24 picks. However 8 of his 12 picks came in two extremely wretched games so he may not replicate that. Still, even a 1 INT per game average to end the year is 20 of them. Yikes. 

Jameis Winston completed 30-of-48 passes for 358 yards, one touchdown and two interceptions in the Bucs' 30-27, Week 10 win over the Cardinals, adding three carries for 40 additional yards.

Turnover-machine Winston also fumbled, but the Bucs managed to recover. Winston stood and delivered some nice throws, but his mistakes stood out more than his big plays. Winston ended the Bucs' opening drive with a pick where Cards DB Byron Murphy ran Chris Godwin's route for him. INT No. 2 was a stare down to Godwin. Winston also air mailed what could have been a 47-yard score to Breshad Perriman. His touchdown was a 10-yarder to O.J. Howard on a coverage bust. Winston has a tough Week 11 home date with a Saints defense that will be smarting from Sunday's inconceivable loss to the Falcons.
Enjoy the roller coaster.

I mean every qb can kind of say this, and he’s been really bad at times, but it sucks when he hits OJ Howard in stride and he attempts to go behind the back with it like he’s LeBron James on a fast break and the interception counts against Jameis. 

That said, it’s time for the Bucs to move on. But he’s not as bad as his numbers suggest. 

He throws to spots. If his receiver is there he looks great. If it’s changed and the route is cut off it’s picked. Evans, for as good as he is, is not a QB’s friend when it comes to picks. Or drops. Howard’s was a joke.

But Winston makes his mind up too early about where he’s going. Takes too many chances. Would think Arians could teach him. this coming from a guy who needs him in the playoffs 

He throws to spots. If his receiver is there he looks great. If it’s changed and the route is cut off it’s picked. Evans, for as good as he is, is not a QB’s friend when it comes to picks. Or drops. Howard’s was a joke.

But Winston makes his mind up too early about where he’s going. Takes too many chances. Would think Arians could teach him. this coming from a guy who needs him in the playoffs 
I too am riding my Winston train to the playoffs. As bad as he’s been, his floor is still there because he chucks it and gets a few rushing yards here and there to cover a pick or two.

They Have no one behind him so I doubt he’s benched, but I’m beginning to fear the mid game benching he comes out with another 3-4 pick game. 

I feel like he’s due for a 400 yard 4 TD game that we’ve all seen him have. Hoping he gets hot during fantasy playoffs if only out of sheer luck.

His schedule and weapons are nice. And their soft defense keeps him chucking it.

Jameis Winston completed 18-of-26 passes for 313 yards, three touchdowns, and two interceptions in the Bucs' Week 12 win over the Falcons.

This was a classic Winston performance, starting the game with two brutal interceptions before settling in. Winston wasn't under pressure often -- the Falcons defense regressed after two great games -- and Chris Godwin made the Atlanta secondary pay. It's important to separate "real life Winston" from "fantasy football Winston" because he is an every-week QB1 even when he's turning the ball over. Winston is averaging over 325 yards and two touchdowns in his last nine games. He faces a mediocre Jaguars defense next week.

Anyone catch the fact that he didn’t take the final kneel down snap because he was up near the stands taking selfies?  Keenum had to go into the game to do it for him.  What a *ucking as* clown. 

The poster states Keenum, so I’m wondering if he’s referring to Haskins.
Indeed, Haskins was busy taking a selfie when his team was supposed to be in victory formation, and his backup had to suffer the -1 rush yard.

Nice to see Haskins taking care of his fantasy managers like that.

Haskins or Winston?

Say What?

I’m not a big Winston fan, but he didn’t do that.  

The poster states Keenum, so I’m wondering if he’s referring to Haskins.

Indeed, Haskins was busy taking a selfie when his team was supposed to be in victory formation, and his backup had to suffer the -1 rush yard.

Nice to see Haskins taking care of his fantasy managers like that.
Yeah, somehow ended up in the wrong thread.  In my defense, it’s easy to see some striking similarities between Haskins and Winston.  🤷‍♂️

SayWhat? said:
Anyone catch the fact that he didn’t take the final kneel down snap because he was up near the stands taking selfies?  Keenum had to go into the game to do it for him.  What a *ucking as* clown. 
Similar QB?  Lol.  I guess all these QB's look alike to you?

SayWhat? said:
Don't

and he leads the league in INTs. If there was a stat for "awful decision INTs" Winston would probably set the nfl record
My point is what makes a "bad QB?"  He clearly has a penchant for turning it over.  No arguing that.  He also makes multiple "wow" throws every week.  The Bucs are 3rd in the NFL in points per game and 4th in the NFL in pass yards per game.  How do you call the QB who runs that offense "bad?"

But, they're 31st in points allowed.  If the defense shows up like they did yesterday they will win more than they lose because Jameis makes enough plays to cover up for the turnovers.  When they're getting scored on constantly he can't.      

My point is what makes a "bad QB?"  He clearly has a penchant for turning it over.  No arguing that.  He also makes multiple "wow" throws every week.  The Bucs are 3rd in the NFL in points per game and 4th in the NFL in pass yards per game.  How do you call the QB who runs that offense "bad?"
Against Carolina earlier this year, Winston had 5 INTs and a QBR of 6.4.  But hey, the Bucs scored 26 pts and he had 400 yards so he wasn't "bad".

He can compile all the stats in the world, but his QBR is currently 19th and his QB Rating is currently 28th.

But, they're 31st in points allowed.  If the defense shows up like they did yesterday they will win more than they lose because Jameis makes enough plays to cover up for the turnovers.  When they're getting scored on constantly he can't.      
He's not bad. He's worse than bad - he's tantalizingly talented yet hopelessly flawed.

You want to coach or manage the bad down to manageable levels but it isn't happening and I don't see any reason for optimism. You want him to break through his "glass ceiling" but unfortunately, he IS the glass ceiling.

Part of the reason they give up so many points is Jameis consistently puts the defense in a bad position.

Users who are viewing this thread