What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

QB Jimmy Garoppolo, LAR (2 Viewers)

NFL analyst Chris Simms believes one of Garoppolo's off-the-field flaws could be contributing to the lack of trade interest.

"He goes off the radar there all the time," Simms said Monday on "Pro Football Talk" with Mike Florio.

"I’m not going to name the player, but I was at an event and the player who is a long-standing player with the 49ers is like, ‘I can’t get the quarterback to call me back. I’ve called him every day for a month.’

"You hear it from everybody. I’ve heard it from ex-coaches who have moved on. It’s weird. The organization has reached out to him at times and explained things to him, and they can’t get ahold of him. To the point where they have had to drive to his house and knock on the door and be like, ‘Hello? Are you alive? Are you there?’ "

With Drew Lock and Geno Smith battling for the starting quarterback role in Seattle, one Seahawks fan made their feelings perfectly clear on national television: Bring in Jimmy G.

He ghosts the team that doesn't want him and had zero chance of seeing the playbook, let alone being on the roster by week one.

That feels like a slow news day click bait dump.

He ghosts the team that doesn't want him and had zero chance of seeing the playbook, let alone being on the roster by week one.

That feels like a slow news day click bait dump.
This is not the first off season it has happened though.

“I’ve said this before, you can’t have enough good quarterbacks and good football players,” York told Tim Kawakami on The TK Show. “I’m not going to get into roster discussions and what John (Lynch) and Kyle (Shanahan) want to do, but I will support them in sort of anything that they want to make this team as good as it can possibly be.

“I watched it with Joe [Montana] and Steve [Young] and I realize the salary cap is different today than having no salary cap. But we’ve said it before: We’re happy to keep Jimmy. We’re happy to have him on the roster. And if that’s the case, then that’s the case.”
Just a reminder this is a guy who compared Jim Tomsula to Steve Kerr:

“You look at the Golden State Warriors. They were the dumbest team in
the NBA for letting Mark Jackson go, who won the most games in the
franchise’s history. How could you be so dumb? They bring in Steve Kerr,
who has been around the game for a long period of time but has never
coached before. Kerr changes the culture, comes in with a different
perspective, and look what happens.”

The goal is obvious. York wants to dissuade potentially interested teams from thinking that they simply need to wait, and that Garoppolo eventually will be released.

To get him, you’ll have to trade for him. That’s the message.

Of course, that’s only part of the equation. Anyone who trades for Garoppolo must also work out a financial arrangement with him. No one will pay him $24.2 million, barring the kind of desperation that would flow from suddenly losing the starting quarterback for the season. Thus, he’ll need to accept less in order to facilitate a trade.

Jed is basically repeating what he said a couple of months ago, with the same comparison to the Joe Montana and Steve Young situation, a time he likes to reflect on even though he was just a little kid and still in Youngstown, Ohio. The Garoppolo trade is on John Lynch's plate, why York would meddle in it while embroiled with the city of Santa Clara over the stadium authority and the city itself could be Jed just blabbing again (there is a Drunk Jed meme out there but that's due to his Twitter) to Tim Kawakami, who like most Bay Area sports media personalities and writers are now posting content on their own blogs and YouTube channels.

To the comments above about doing Jimmy dirty, it does seem like the Niners want to wait until the last minute to cut Jimmy so that it would be hard for him to get acclimated to another team before the season starts.

To the comments above about doing Jimmy dirty, it does seem like the Niners want to wait until the last minute to cut Jimmy so that it would be hard for him to get acclimated to another team before the season starts.

It's not really dirty, I mean, if they release him, he's free to go wherever he wants. So while it will prevent him from catching on with a new team sooner, it's not like he'd be starting wherever he goes, at least not right away, even if he were traded today or a 2 weeks ago.

If you want a list of players done dirty by their team, we will have a long one before we get to this guy.

That might actually be a cool thread.

It's not really dirty, I mean, if they release him, he's free to go wherever he wants. So while it will prevent him from catching on with a new team sooner, it's not like he'd be starting wherever he goes, at least not right away, even if he were traded today or a 2 weeks ago.
Agreed, although if the Niners dumped him several weeks ago before camp, he might have had a shot to win the starting job in a weak QB room (Seattle being the obvious one). Which is why they likely didn’t give him a chance to go to a divisional rival that early.

At the end of the day though, it’s a business.

NFL insider Jordan Schultz reports 49ers general manager John Lynch would "prefer" not to trade Jimmy Garoppolo to the Seahawks.​

San Francisco would clear $25.5 million in salary cap space if Garopplo is released by Tuesday's trade deadline. The team has struggled to find a trade partner willing to absorb Jimmy G's massive salary. Lynch and the 49ers don't seem keen on dealing Garoppolo to the Seahawks, who face the 49ers in Week 2. Garoppolo would instantly be Seattle's best quarterback option if a deal comes to fruition.
RELATED:
SOURCE: Jordan Schultz on Twitter
Aug 29, 2022, 11:55 AM ET

Honestly makes the most sense. As a Lance owner I’m not thrilled. As a Niners fan I completely get it.

Glad he was willing to restructure.

YOu have to think his agent knows there's not a 15 million dollar payday out there, so they punt, and choose their situation after the season.

Seems pretty reasonable knowing that Kirk Cousins got $35 M for basically a one year extension (fully guaranteed with a no trade clause).

Not at all the outcome I was expecting. bananas.

They basically signed him as a $6.5 million backup QB. That seems like… a lot.
I'm pretty shocked by the signing to be honest. Obviously there was zero trade partner and the league was playing chicken with them and waiting for him to be cut.

From a football and financial perspective I get it and it makes sense for both sides for sure.

I just don't know how that will affect the QB room, Lances confidence, etc.

Well, if Trey fails, we know what we've got in Jimmy, I just hope Kyle doesn't have Trey on too short of a leash knowing he has Jimmy....Trey needs to go through his growing pains.

But it's not the worst thing in the world to have a backup who has been to a SB and NFCCG.

How does this effect Brock Purdy's chances of making the team?
Badly.

I believe Sudfeld will be cut & Purdy will go to the practice squad. Sudfeld looked terrible in the preseason.

I believe this signing is more an indictment on the backups than on Lance. Lance is the future.

Well, if Trey fails, we know what we've got in Jimmy, I just hope Kyle doesn't have Trey on too short of a leash knowing he has Jimmy....Trey needs to go through his growing pains.

That's my worry. This feels worrisome for Lance. This isn't a rebuilding team and I have to think they have less patience now with a proven guy like Garoppolo there.

Good business deal for Niners. They free up a ton of cap space and now have a quality back-up if Trey misses time. I'm sure they weren't overly confident in Sudfeld or Purdy.

Of course they could still trade him now that his contract is more reasonable. He would have to approve the trade, but possible that could be worked out. Watched part of the Browns/Dolphins game. Brissett is brutal. I just don't see how the Browns can throw their season away starting him for 11 games. Makes too much sense for them to trade for Garoppolo and now that they know he won't be released, maybe it will happen

If he stays all season, SF will get a comp pick at least

On my dynasty 1qb team I’m not particularly worried. Lance flopping hurts either way. In redraft, however I think the 0% chance of him losing the job for a few weeks is now greater than zero. Not more than 25% but it’s something. Lance needs to be more consistent with the short throws. At least now Jimmy can focus on his actual role as a backup.

Well, if Trey fails, we know what we've got in Jimmy
yes, an "Oh no, don't throw it THERE!!!" at least once a game.

That's my worry. This feels worrisome for Lance. This isn't a rebuilding team and I have to think they have less patience now with a proven guy like Garoppolo there.

I think more along the lines of "If Trey gets hurt, we're ok-ish." CAN NOT pull Trey if he struggles for a few games. Would destroy his confidence, and essentially pull the plug on declaring all the draft capital they gave up to get him dead. CAN NOT.

Come to Miami
Tua is already as good as Garappolo, with a tad more upside. They're similar in that they don't perform well when the pocket breaks down. Jimmy had a great oline, multiple weapons, great coach and he was still only average in 2021. Tua had a bad oline, subpar weapons and coaching. Let's see what Tua does in 2022.

The SF oline got worse this year. Under pressure, Lance > Garoppolo.

Well, if Trey fails, we know what we've got in Jimmy
yes, an "Oh no, don't throw it THERE!!!" at least once a game.

I think more along the lines of "If Trey gets hurt, we're ok-ish." CAN NOT pull Trey if he struggles for a few games. Would destroy his confidence, and essentially pull the plug on declaring all the draft capital they gave up to get him dead. CAN NOT.
If JimmyG is starting and Lance isn’t hurt, Shanny & Lynch will be fired.

Depends on how bad he is.

This team is ready to win. Players and fans won't stand for sacrificing a season just so not to hurt Lance's feelings if it comes to that.

This team is ready to win. Players and fans won't stand for sacrificing a season just so not to hurt Lance's feelings if it comes to that.
Oh sure, if he’s putrid - but he’s going to get a fair shake for a few games. I’d put the O/U at 6 games. If they’re .500 or better and he doesn’t stink out loud, he starts the 7th. If they’re 2-4 and the 4 L’s are on Lance’s shoulders? JimmyG will start,

Lance has a good first 2 games. At CHI, then home vs Seattle, the team Jimmy couldn't beat last year. He threw 3 picks in the 2 losses to Seattle. The problem with Jimmy is that the oline is much worse than in 2022.

Oh sure, if he’s putrid - but he’s going to get a fair shake for a few games. I’d put the O/U at 6 games. If they’re .500 or better and he doesn’t stink out loud, he starts the 7th. If they’re 2-4 and the 4 L’s are on Lance’s shoulders? JimmyG will start,
Sounds reasonable - and interestingly enough was the situation in reverse last year when Shanahan was about to bench Jimmy.

Come to Miami
Tua is already as good as Garappolo, with a tad more upside. They're similar in that they don't perform well when the pocket breaks down. Jimmy had a great oline, multiple weapons, great coach and he was still only average in 2021. Tua had a bad oline, subpar weapons and coaching. Let's see what Tua does in 2022.

The SF oline got worse this year. Under pressure, Lance > Garoppolo.
Lifelong Miami fan here... No, Tua is not IMO. He's not hot garbage, but he is closer to that vs being great. I hope Tua puts it together. I am rooting for him to be the man.

Dan Graziano @DanGrazianoESPN

Jimmy G move by the Niners obviously is interesting, but I wouldn't take it as a sign that they're hedging on Lance. What it actually does is extend their window to trade Jimmy through the end of October (trade deadline), by which time perhaps the market will be stronger.

Niners also save significant cap space here, and Jimmy's salary is very affordable backup QB money.

No-trade clause gives him some say in where he goes if/when they do decide to deal him.

No-franchise clause covers him in case he goes somewhere and plays great.

Jimmy G move by the Niners obviously is interesting, but I wouldn't take it as a sign that they're hedging on Lance. What it actually does is extend their window to trade Jimmy through the end of October (trade deadline), by which time perhaps the market will be stronger.

Niners also save significant cap space here, and Jimmy's salary is very affordable backup QB money.

No-trade clause gives him some say in where he goes if/when they do decide to deal him.

No-franchise clause covers him in case he goes somewhere and plays great.
That makes sense too, but I’ll maintain what I said a few weeks ago. Having a good backup QB here makes sense. These professionals should be able to handle any of the pressure if Lance struggles (which I think he will, at least somewhat). The only times this becomes a hot mess are if Lance plays horribly or gets hurt and then Jimmy wins his starts. By the trade deadline, they’ll have some idea how Lance actually plays.

They didn't want to give Jimmy away to Seattle, plain and simple. It's the only team that would have wanted him right now.

Teams can no longer wait on a release, which had hurt his trade value. Now, he's on a very affordable salary with a contract in place for 2022, and SF can wait to see if a team pops up that needs a QB before the trade deadline Nov 1st.

Pretty good business decision IMO.

This may be what ends up happening, but I maintain they should not pull Lance regardless. The kid has started what, 14 actual games TOTAL since high school? He needs the reps, and needs to be given the leash to throw picks and learn on the job. If he's pulled 6 games into the season and never gets the job back, it's a franchise obliterating move.

This may be what ends up happening, but I maintain they should not pull Lance regardless. The kid has started what, 14 actual games TOTAL since high school? He needs the reps, and needs to be given the leash to throw picks and learn on the job. If he's pulled 6 games into the season and never gets the job back, it's a franchise obliterating move.

Again, it's all relative and depends on how "bad" he is. I'm certain they will not sacrifice a chance for making the playoffs to avoid hurting Lance's feelings. Nor should they. But they also can't pull him the first bad game he has. It's a balance.

And for sure, it'll never be a straight up hook. It'll be a "questionable" shoulder issue that they "want to be careful with".

Especially a player as popular and proven as Garoppolo ready to save the day.

It's one of the more interesting situations I think this year. It's not that often when a hot young unproven QB is handed an excellent team. Should be fascinating.

And for sure, it'll never be a straight up hook. It'll be a "questionable" shoulder issue that they "want to be careful with".
My question is what happens if it's a legitimate injury - sprained [insert body part here] and misses a game. JimmyG comes on and plays like his usual self...22/36, 260 yards, 1 TD, 1 "omg what was THAT" interception...but they win.

Does Lance get Wally Pipp'd?

Are people forgetting how good the 49er defense is? Every projection I see has them near the top. The offense isn't gonna need to score a lot of points to win. As long as Lance isn't horrible, this team will win a lot of games.

I think Jimmy only sees action if Lance gets hurt.

Dont forget, the 49ers started 3-5 last year, and Kyle decided to NOT change QBs. Now, the situation is much different going into this season since the guy coming off the bench isnt a rookie, and has lots of playoff experience, but Kyle isn't a flip flopper when it comes to QBs. He hand picked Lance and he's gonna let him play through his growing pains IMO, especially knowing he has a championship quality defense that will keep them in (and sometimes take over) games.

Again, it's all relative and depends on how "bad" he is. I'm certain they will not sacrifice a chance for making the playoffs to avoid hurting Lance's feelings. Nor should they. But they also can't pull him the first bad game he has. It's a balance.

Especially a player as popular and proven as Garoppolo ready to save the day.

It's one of the more interesting situations I think this year. It's not that often when a hot young unproven QB is handed an excellent team. Should be fascinating.

I get what you're saying. I'm just trying to point out it's not even about hurting his feelings. It's about stunting his growth and admitting defeat on the biggest trade in the franchise's recent history after a handful of starts. But yes, if they go 1-5 and he's playing like Josh Rosen, Jimmy's playing. You're right, it is relative.

Users who are viewing this thread