What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

QB Jimmy Garoppolo, LAR (1 Viewer)

They didn't want to give Jimmy away to Seattle, plain and simple. It's the only team that would have wanted him right now.

Teams can no longer wait on a release, which had hurt his trade value. Now, he's on a very affordable salary with a contract in place for 2022, and SF can wait to see if a team pops up that needs a QB before the trade deadline Nov 1st.

Pretty good business decision IMO.
THIS!
No way they were letting him walk away without some compensation to a team they despise in their own division. This is all about business and not about a back up quarter back. Shanahan, drives me crazy. Smart move.

All of the sudden he's very tradeable. He goes from being unhealthy and overpaid to healthy and underpaid. The Panthers are kicking themselves.
except for his no-trade clause - that makes him pretty untradeable unless he waives it.
I have to imagine he'd waive the no-trade clause if a team came calling. If it's deciding between backing up or starting for the same $9 million, I'm sure he'd rather start. And then in 2023, he can find his own destination.

They didn't want to give Jimmy away to Seattle, plain and simple. It's the only team that would have wanted him right now.

Teams can no longer wait on a release, which had hurt his trade value. Now, he's on a very affordable salary with a contract in place for 2022, and SF can wait to see if a team pops up that needs a QB before the trade deadline Nov 1st.

Pretty good business decision IMO.
I agree with this. Good business decision. They ensure themselves a good backup to start the season as a reasonable price and they could still trade him should a good team get desperate due to injury (e.g. Colts) before November. And, for Garappolo, it's guaranteed money without being cut and the chance to still start for a SB caliber team. Seems like a win-win.

All of the sudden he's very tradeable. He goes from being unhealthy and overpaid to healthy and underpaid. The Panthers are kicking themselves.
except for his no-trade clause - that makes him pretty untradeable unless he waives it.
I have to imagine he'd waive the no-trade clause if a team came calling. If it's deciding between backing up or starting for the same $9 million, I'm sure he'd rather start. And then in 2023, he can find his own destination.
Yep, I get why Jimmy G wanted that in there. Gives him some control and, I assume like you, he waives it if a good team comes calling that he could start for.

I'm not sure really. I guess it depends on the team and situation. He has it in there for a reason.

I’m tired of rostering both Qbs (as a backup to Rodgers no less). Let’s pick one and declare he’s the guy this year.

Jimmy G is the better QB. It sucks for Lance, but SF is better with Jimmy G starting.
Right now, I would agree that Garoppolo is a better QB. However, we have seen how he performs in the big games and it's not been good enough to win a Super Bowl.
vs Min - 11-19-131 yards-1 TD-1 INT
vs GB - 6-8-77-0-0
vs KC - 20-31-219-1-2
vs DAL - 16-25-172-0-1
vs GB - 11-19-131-0-1
vs LAR - 16-30-232-2-1

Imo, the 49ers have made it to a Super Bowl and another NFC Championship with/in spite of Garoppolo and that's his ceiling. I was expecting some bumpy parts early this season with Lance but was hoping that after a full season of experience, he would've been ready to take the team where Garoppolo couldn't/can't, if not this season then in the near future. That's up in the air now.

Garoppolo is not someone I see being a Super Bowl winning QB without a dominant team supporting him. Have to hope that he catches lightning in a bottle and can change that narrative or the team is an irresistible force in the playoffs.

Should be on most wires. In a 2QB/Superflx league what percentage you all throwing down? Not sure there'll be another wire QB on that caliber this year.

Jimmy is getting no respect. He should be the 1st QB off the waiver wire in most leagues. 2 TDs last week and almost a 3rd. I'd rate him higher than Goff ROS.

Jimmy is getting no respect. He should be the 1st QB off the waiver wire in most leagues. 2 TDs last week and almost a 3rd. I'd rate him higher than Goff ROS.
Depends on if Shanahan does allow him to throw more intermediate passes and occassionally a deep throw. He's capable but almost everything is short and in the middle of the field.

In FF, I would rather have Goff. Lions D is bad and they will be chasing points

Jimmy Garoppolo completed 18-of-29 passes for 212 yards, one touchdown, and one interception in the 49ers 11-10, Week 3 loss to the Broncos.​

Garoppolo notably took a safety by stepping out of the back of his own end zone in the third quarter, something that had not been done since the days of Dan Orlovsky. It didn't look much better from there. The 49ers were bottled up by Denver clamping down on Deebo Samuel and George Kittle, and Garoppolo's lone touchdown pass was immediately decried on TV as offensive pass interference that created an easy path for Brandon Aiyuk to get in the end zone. Left to try to field a comeback down a single point, Garoppolo was picked off once and nearly took a second sack in his own end zone before a Jeff Wilson fumble ended up. Things don't get any easier for Garoppolo's banged up offensive line in Week 4, as the 49ers travel to meet Aaron Donald and the Rams. Garoppolo will be a fringe QB2.
Sep 25, 2022, 11:27 PM ET

He is who we thought he was.
Truer words were never spoken. Well, football wise anyway

Same shiot, different day. Defenses stack the middle of the field and bring pressure up the middle. 49ers have an excellent receiving group that is going to waste because they refuse to consistently throw intermediate routes, forget about deep routes. Deebo would have had a couple long, walk-in TDs if Jimmy could see him or throw even a somewhat accurate pass. Kittle should be a Mark Andrews type TE, but instead his line is usually 4/45 with the occassional blow up game. Plus, Jimmy is going to get Deebo killed with those throws into traffic.

Another great defensive effort wasted.

Al Sacco on Twitter:

In 15-plus seasons as OC or HC, Garoppolo is the only starting QB Shanahan’s had for more than 2 seasons.

Matt Schwab had best season of career in year 2

Matt Ryan had best season of career in year 2

RG III declined in year 2

Garoppolo, now in year 6, hasn’t progressed

Users who are viewing this thread