What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

QB Justin Fields, PIT (2 Viewers)

JUSTIN FIELDS QB, CHICAGO BEARS

OverTheCap.com's Jason Fitzgerald believes the Bears are implementing a "complete tear down" in hopes of rebuilding in 2023. 

“This is a complete tear down,” Fitzgerald told The Athletic. “They sent away about $75 million in contracts this year, whether it was signings or trades or whatever it was. They just gutted the roster. You look at the types of players they brought in. It’s just low-cost, piece things together for a year.” Chicago has spent this offseason cleaning up the mess left by the previous regime, which made a host of baffling signings without much thought of the future. The 2022 season could be another frustrating one for sophomore QB Justin Fields. The Bears head into 2022 with one of the NFL's worst wide receiver groups headlined by Darnell Mooney and Byron Pringle. It's not all doom and gloom for the Bears, however. Fitzgerald said the team should have "one of the better salary cap positions in the league" in 2023. Fitzgerald added "it's gonna suck this year" for Bears fans. 

RELATED: 

Matt Eberflus

SOURCE: The Athletic 

Apr 11, 2022, 11:32 AM ET

Sports Illustrated's Connor Orr believes Justin Fields is in an "impossible position to succeed" in 2022. 

Orr said Fields "is going to take snaps under center in 2022 surrounded by what is on paper one of the NFL’s worst rosters" -- an undeniable assessment after the Bears hemorrhaged talented players in free agency and did nothing to improve the team (Orr credited general manager Ryan Poles for building future draft capital this spring). Orr is very much in line with salary cap expert Jason Fitzgerald, who recently said Chicago is in "complete tear down" mode with an eye toward 2023 and 2024 following Matt Nagy's catastrophic tenure as head coach. Fields will head into the 2022 season with Darnell Mooney -- a solid receiver, but far from elite -- as his unquestioned No. 1 wideout. Fields in 2021 struggled mightily in Nagy's uncreative offense, ranking 37th in adjusted completion rate -- just ahead of Mike Glennon -- and 22nd in yards per attempt. Fields' expected points added (EPA) per drop back was lower than every quarterback besides Zach Wilson. In 2022, Fields will have to improve despite the Bears getting markedly worse this offseason. He might not be long for the franchise if he struggles again this year. Hopefully, new head coach Matt Eberflus and his staff will better utilize Fields' outstanding mobility in 2022. 

SOURCE: SI.com 

Apr 15, 2022, 11:24 AM ET

Watching that video, it really stands out how little help Fields had last season, and is a little scary considering they haven't upgraded anywhere, and on paper look worse at WR and OL, after losing Robinson and Daniels. 
It makes me wonder if the new regime has already decided that he isn't their guy, so they are good with throwing him out there with very little support.

Hopefully they still manage to put some upgrades around him.

It makes me wonder if the new regime has already decided that he isn't their guy, so they are good with throwing him out there with very little support.

Hopefully they still manage to put some upgrades around him.
If they've decided that, then they were already horrible hires. Fields is the most important thing on the Bears right now and going forward. 

If they've decided that, then they were already horrible hires. Fields is the most important thing on the Bears right now and going forward. 
I agree. They wouldn't be the first horrible hires by the Bears though. I'm not saying that's the case. I will say that I have been disappointed in the lack of effort in putting talent around him.

For now, I will assume that they have a plan and are working at it.

Having been a Bears fan for 40 years, I am somewhat used to being underwhelmed. 

Chicken or egg question. Since Fields was throwing to 3 future first round picks in 2020, was it the WRs that helped the QB or the QB who helped the WRs? Seems like a similar situation to Tua because Tua had 4 future first round WRs he was throwing to, and now there are doubts about Tua's long term prospects. Does Fields have the same questions if he is disappointing this year?

Chicken or egg question. Since Fields was throwing to 3 future first round picks in 2020, was it the WRs that helped the QB or the QB who helped the WRs? Seems like a similar situation to Tua because Tua had 4 future first round WRs he was throwing to, and now there are doubts about Tua's long term prospects. Does Fields have the same questions if he is disappointing this year?
He's currently got Mooney and not much else to throw to at the moment, so it would be hard for him to put up numbers this year, even if he gets a coach who isn't actively trying to get him killed every play. 

I’m not big on qbs from power teams for this reason.  They just have so much more talent then the opponent, it’s hard to evaluate them.    The biggest break for Mahomes is the Bears wanted Trubisky.  They just have no concept on how to develop a qb.

Can’t recall the last time a team did so little to bolster weapons around their franchise QB. Unless Fields proves all the detractors wrong, the team is going to have yet another year determining whether he’s the answer.

Bears general manager Ryan Poles said the team is "all in" on Justin Fields. 

"I believe in Justin, the staff believes in Justin," Poles added. His comments come amid questions about the organization's commitment to their 2021 first round selection. The Bears, in the midst of a total teardown following the disastrous Matt Nagy era, haven't added much pass-catching help for Fields as he enters his sophomore season. ESPN's Courtney Cronin reports Poles and the team's front office "ran countless simulations to see what their draft might yield" -- simulations that showed the team should add defensive players. Poles said in a recent interviewthat he'd know by 2025 whether his 2022 draft decisions panned out. Chicago added wideout Velus Jones -- who turns 25 soon -- in the third round. Jones profiles as a special teams player and perhaps a WR3 or WR4 option in the Bears offense. Fields will go into his all-important second season with Darnell Mooney and Byron Pringle as his top two receivers. In March, The Athletic's Kevin Fishbain said the Bears "might have to consider the possibility that [Justin Fields] isn’t the guy" if he struggles in 2022. Hopefully the team will give Fields a pass if he struggles without much help on offense this season. 

SOURCE: Jeremy Layton on Twitter 

May 6, 2022, 10:43 AM ET

Seems like they are setting him up for failure so they can draft a qb high next year. They have to say they're all in on him.  Huge qb class coming out next year. 

Last edited by a moderator:
Seems like they are setting him up for failure so they can draft a qb high next year. They have to say they're all in on him.  Huge qb class coming out next year. 
Boy, if that is the case, then Poles was one of the worst GM hires in history. 

Fields should be the centerpiece of the roster. He's more important/valuable than anyone else in Chicago, player, coach , or GM. 

Might be a minority opinion, but Bryce Young is probably the only QB in the 2023 class I'd take over Fields. 

Fields should be the centerpiece of the roster. He's more important/valuable than anyone else in Chicago, player, coach , or GM. 

Might be a minority opinion, but Bryce Young is probably the only QB in the 2023 class I'd take over Fields. 
He sure hasn't put anything around him to support him. 

He sure hasn't put anything around him to support him. 
I agree, I just don't them not being committed to Fields for at least 2 more seasons. It'd be a complete waste of resources to address QB next year, pretty much regardless of how Fields does. 

A quality QB class next year, likely means trading down to acquire more picks, if the season goes as poorly as some think it may. 

I agree, I just don't them not being committed to Fields for at least 2 more seasons. It'd be a complete waste of resources to address QB next year, pretty much regardless of how Fields does. 

A quality QB class next year, likely means trading down to acquire more picks, if the season goes as poorly as some think it may. 
Very good point. Could net a ton of picks with a top 5 pick next year 

100% not the case.  Poles is getting the Bears out from under the cap hell made by Ryan Pace this year and addressing the OL as well as a pitiful DB room.  Signing a big name WR free agent makes no sense right now. 

I expect an up and down learning year from Fields and a top 1/3 draft pick in 2023.  Enough ups to prove he's a top half starter in the league and enough downs to give some good learning experience.  In 23, I fully expect Poles to go after the WR position in the draft and free agency in an effort to compete in 24-25 BEFORE the renewal of Field's rookie contract.

He's currently got Mooney and not much else to throw to at the moment, so it would be hard for him to put up numbers this year, even if he gets a coach who isn't actively trying to get him killed every play. 
QB's make receivers much more than WR make QB though.  If Fields is the real deal he'll get more out of the WR's than Hopkins could out of the mess they had prior to Kyler for example.  No doubt they need to get better talent, but an elite QB (not sure he's that yet?) raises everyone else's play.  He's also able to lift the OL a bit with his mobility.  He did a good job at OSU moving around and making more opportunities. 

Someone above said he had more time in college to throw and survey and that's true, but nearly all of it was from Fields being patient and mobile.  The OL was not good when he was there.  But Fields did a great job sliding around and keeping his eyes downfield.  OSU has a long history of mobile QB and guys like Prior and Braxton Miller were killers with their feet but the real assassins were the Troy Smiths and Justin Fields that used their legs as a threat but stayed patient and looked downfield while they moved.  Lots of throwing lanes open up when DB's all of a sudden have to change the angle the ball might come from or get caught looking to close in on the running QB.

Fields reminded me of Aaron Rodgers (mobility/patience, not overall talent yet) in that he slides around, decides if something is there, and if not tucks it and runs.  In college he spent a lot of time dancing and scanning, way more than he'll be able to in the NFL, but you can't blame him when he's throwing to Garrett Wilson, Chris Olave, Jamieson Williams, Jeremy Ruckert, heck Austin Mack and KJ Hill were very good college WR too - why wouldn't you stand there all day and just wait that out?  I expect he'll tuck it and run a little earlier and more often because the DL in the NFL are just too fast and too good. 

That is going to be how he survives this rebuild and why I think he'll come out just fine.  He's got a lot of experience in how to hang around, see what happens, and get out of dodge when necessary.  He'll just need to speed up the clock in the bigs.

Courtney Cronin @CourtneyRCronin

Matt Eberflus' assessment of Justin Fields on Day 2 of minicamp: "Really nice day today. Really nice. Made a lot of nice passes in all parts of the field. His timing was really good and it was a good day for him."

Yesterday Eberflus talked about Fields' ability to respond
https://twitter.com/courtneyrcronin/status/1537164227898658819?s=21

Courtney Cronin @CourtneyRCronin

from bad plays/bad series/bad moments, and it's an encouraging sign that Fields put together a solid day of practice after an up-and-down outing Day 1 of minicamp.
https://twitter.com/courtneyrcronin/status/1537164228901076993?s=21

ESPN's Jeremey Fowler reports the Bears are encouraged by Justin Fields' improved mechanics, including a quicker release. 

Fowler said Chicago coaches have noticed an improvement in Fields' accuracy in throwing "on the move" too. "The Bears are excited for offensive coordinator Luke Getsy's system, which should give Fields more space to operate," Fowler added. Fields' long, wind-up throwing motion was widely criticized in the lead up to the 2021 NFL Draft, and his slow release was evident throughout his rookie season starts. Fields was wildly inaccurate through much of his rookie campaign, finishing the season with the league's sixth worst completion rate over expected. He was solid on downfield throws: Only 11 quarterbacks had a higher completion rate on attempts of more than 20 yards. Fields' main fantasy appeal (in what should be an atrocious Chicago offense) lies in his rushing ability. The uber-athletic QB should be a priority later-round selection because he offers tremendous rushing upside. 

SOURCE: ESPN.com 

Jun 20, 2022, 10:15 AM ET

I don't think it can be overstated how vanilla and predictable the Bears offense was under Nagy. I realize the OL gets a lot of blame and likely for good reason(s), but I just really don't think you can evaluate what they did when they played in an environment where everybody watching knew what was coming and the DL *had* to be able to see it, too. They didn't call hardly any designed runs for Fields last year and it was only after Nagy was impressed by Fields ability that he started adding more in.

Pffft. One of the first things the new regime did IIRC is start putting in RPO stuff. I'm not saying their OL is going to improve by leaps and bounds but predictability would crush a HOF quality line. I'm hoping to see a lot of improvement. I admit I saw some issues in Fields' technique last year as well and hope these reports of him improving his mechanics are reflective of a year 2 leap. Bear Goggles On!!

Last edited by a moderator:
Not much good news about the Bears offense coming out of camp so far. This is really feeling like an 'avoid' situation.

Not much good news about the Bears offense coming out of camp so far. This is really feeling like an 'avoid' situation.
I love Fields as a player but he arguably has the worst o-line and worst receivers in the league. He's been set up to fail. Hopefully he can rise above it but it's not an easy path.

I love Fields as a player but he arguably has the worst o-line and worst receivers in the league. He's been set up to fail. Hopefully he can rise above it but it's not an easy path.
He checks all the boxes for a modern NFL QB but I really worry that his career may fail at launch with so much upheaval around him. Hopefully Eberflus and co. can figure this out because I think Fields could be a lot of fun to watch.

Preston Williams might be the #5 or #6 WR in Miami. He could become the #2 in Chicago and would be cheap, like a 6th round pick.

I love Fields as a player but he arguably has the worst o-line and worst receivers in the league. He's been set up to fail. Hopefully he can rise above it but it's not an easy pat

The Justin Herbert owner in the 16 team league where I took over a team is interested in dealing him.

Fields is my QB2, and I’m very tempted to offer him fields, a wide receiver, and my 2023 1st round pick for Herbert to see if he bites.

My trepidation is that it Fields turns out to be the real deal, I would essentially be giving away a first round pick and a competent wide receiver for questionable future gain.

It’s just so hard to judge Felds’ value, and determine the velocity at which he might improve, as well as the team around him (as you suggest).

Like, once the Bears get through a painful 2022, can, and do we trust the them to surround Fields with talent?

Like you, I love the player, but hate the situation.

Preston Williams might be the #5 or #6 WR in Miami. He could become the #2 in Chicago and would be cheap, like a 6th round pick.
Anything would help but I don't think Preston Williams moves the needle much for Chicago's prospects in 2022.

I love Fields as a player but he arguably has the worst o-line and worst receivers in the league. He's been set up to fail. Hopefully he can rise above it but it's not an easy pat

The Justin Herbert owner in the 16 team league where I took over a team is interested in dealing him.

Fields is my QB2, and I’m very tempted to offer him fields, a wide receiver, and my 2023 1st round pick for Herbert to see if he bites.

My trepidation is that it Fields turns out to be the real deal, I would essentially be giving away a first round pick and a competent wide receiver for questionable future gain.

It’s just so hard to judge Felds’ value, and determine the velocity at which he might improve, as well as the team around him (as you suggest).

Like, once the Bears get through a painful 2022, can, and do we trust the them to surround Fields with talent?

I play in a SF league so I am generally skewed in favor of QBs but there is nothing questionable about locking in a guy who can easily finish as the #1 QB in fantasy any given season for the next 5-10 years.

The only QB I don't give up for Herbert is Josh Allen.

The ROI on Fields is so cloudy right now. The current staff didn't draft him and the Bears have done nothing to add talent to the offense this year. Fields career may be turning into a Greek tragedy in real time.

I play in a SF league so I am generally skewed in favor of QBs but there is nothing questionable about locking in a guy who can easily finish as the #1 QB in fantasy any given season for the next 5-10 years.

The ROI on Fields is so cloudy right now. The current staff didn't draft him and the Bears have done nothing to add talent to the offense this year. Fields career may be turning into a Greek tragedy in real time.
So you’re saying I should make the offer & see what happens?

I would but, like I said, my baseline logic comes from super-flex not one QB leagues.

I would but, like I said, my baseline logic comes from super-flex not one QB leagues.
This is superflex. 😃

Users who are viewing this thread