What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

QB Justin Fields, PIT (2 Viewers)

Not much good news about the Bears offense coming out of camp so far. This is really feeling like an 'avoid' situation.
I love Fields as a player but he arguably has the worst o-line and worst receivers in the league. He's been set up to fail. Hopefully he can rise above it but it's not an easy pat

The Justin Herbert owner in the 16 team league where I took over a team is interested in dealing him.

Fields is my QB2, and I’m very tempted to offer him fields, a wide receiver, and my 2023 1st round pick for Herbert to see if he bites.

My trepidation is that it Fields turns out to be the real deal, I would essentially be giving away a first round pick and a competent wide receiver for questionable future gain.

It’s just so hard to judge Felds’ value, and determine the velocity at which he might improve, as well as the team around him (as you suggest).

Like, once the Bears get through a painful 2022, can, and do we trust the them to surround Fields with talent?

Like you, I love the player, but hate the situation.
I play in a SF league so I am generally skewed in favor of QBs but there is nothing questionable about locking in a guy who can easily finish as the #1 QB in fantasy any given season for the next 5-10 years.

The only QB I don't give up for Herbert is Josh Allen.

The ROI on Fields is so cloudy right now. The current staff didn't draft him and the Bears have done nothing to add talent to the offense this year. Fields career may be turning into a Greek tragedy in real time.
So you’re saying I should make the offer & see what happens?
I would definitely want Herbert over him but it depends on what you have to give up. I would love to get Fields as a QB2 with QB1 upside. If Tebow can be a top 10 fantasy QB I see no reason other than health that Fields can't get there with his physical skill set. The O Line should be slightly improved but they will most likely have way below average WR output which will will be good for his running, the TE and the RB catching passes out of the backfield.

Not much good news about the Bears offense coming out of camp so far. This is really feeling like an 'avoid' situation.
I love Fields as a player but he arguably has the worst o-line and worst receivers in the league. He's been set up to fail. Hopefully he can rise above it but it's not an easy pat

The Justin Herbert owner in the 16 team league where I took over a team is interested in dealing him.

Fields is my QB2, and I’m very tempted to offer him fields, a wide receiver, and my 2023 1st round pick for Herbert to see if he bites.

My trepidation is that it Fields turns out to be the real deal, I would essentially be giving away a first round pick and a competent wide receiver for questionable future gain.

It’s just so hard to judge Felds’ value, and determine the velocity at which he might improve, as well as the team around him (as you suggest).

Like, once the Bears get through a painful 2022, can, and do we trust the them to surround Fields with talent?

I play in a SF league so I am generally skewed in favor of QBs but there is nothing questionable about locking in a guy who can easily finish as the #1 QB in fantasy any given season for the next 5-10 years.

The ROI on Fields is so cloudy right now. The current staff didn't draft him and the Bears have done nothing to add talent to the offense this year. Fields career may be turning into a Greek tragedy in real time.
I would definitely want Herbert over him but it depends on what you have to give up. I would love to get Fields as a QB2 with QB1 upside. If Tebow can be a top 10 fantasy QB I see no reason other than health that Fields can't get there with his physical skill set. The O Line should be slightly improved but they will most likely have way below average WR output which will will be good for his running, the TE and the RB catching passes out of the backfield.
It would be substantial. 2023 1st, Fields, one of my starting WR (Aiyuk or D. Smith) , maybe more.

The fear of course would be seeing fields then blow up into a top 12 FF QB, and I’d have given up all that for a marginal upgrade.

The upside is if Fields flames out, but that’s seeming unlikely per recent reporting. Some have recently suggested they’re seeing a Josh Allen-type arc. And I have to believe the Bears will improve the talent around him next season when they have cap space.

For now I’m holding. It’s a tricky dilemma - I’m not even sure the owner would go for such a package, and I’d hate to give up my ‘23 1st.

It would be substantial. 2023 1st, Fields, one of my starting WR (Aiyuk or D. Smith) , maybe more.

The fear of course would be seeing fields then blow up into a top 12 FF QB, and I’d have given up all that for a marginal upgrade.

The upside is if Fields flames out, but that’s seeming unlikely per recent reporting. Some have recently suggested they’re seeing a Josh Allen-type arc. And I have to believe the Bears will improve the talent around him next season when they have cap space.

For now I’m holding. It’s a tricky dilemma - I’m not even sure the owner would go for such a package, and I’d hate to give up my ‘23 1st.
Bears front office hasn't shown they are willing to put players in a position to succeed. Granted it's a different GM now but I know plenty of Bears fans that have zero confidence in management to do the right thing.

I know plenty of Bears fans that have zero confidence in management
100% of Bears fans have had zero confidence in management for decades. Pretty hard to take our self-hate seriously. I can't scream loud enough that the new coaching staff represents by far and away the best decision to put the players in a position to succeed. Going from incompetence to "something else" is a major step forward. Bear Goggles on!!

Herbert had a really bad blitz pickup that got Fields in bad trouble on one play (it was probably the worst highlight on ESPN, etc., where Fields tried to run forward and then kind of ran into his own guy and fell for maybe a 2 yard loss). Wasn't that Herbert misread it he just whiffed badly and the guy blew right past him. He had a very decent blitz pickup on another. I'm not super stoked about what I've seen so far from him or the OL.

Fields really does look better to me, and my ray of hope is that once they start pulling out some of the RPO stuff (I assume come week 1) it will open things up. They will need to be effective running the ball to slow down the pass rush. Some teams can set up the run by using the pass, but I don't think this is going to be one of them. They need to tire defenses down and/or make them account for the RPO. We'll see.

Looks like another tough season for Justin. I really like the talent but you can not complete passes laying on your back.
2 of their top O lineman were out last night. The line should be improved if they stay healthy - if not than I 100% agree with you. Herbert almost got Fields killed when he completely whiffed on a block on the opening drive which kind of opened the floodgates.

Herbert had a really bad blitz pickup that got Fields in bad trouble on one play (it was probably the worst highlight on ESPN, etc., where Fields tried to run forward and then kind of ran into his own guy and fell for maybe a 2 yard loss). Wasn't that Herbert misread it he just whiffed badly and the guy blew right past him. He had a very decent blitz pickup on another. I'm not super stoked about what I've seen so far from him or the OL.

Fields really does look better to me, and my ray of hope is that once they start pulling out some of the RPO stuff (I assume come week 1) it will open things up. They will need to be effective running the ball to slow down the pass rush. Some teams can set up the run by using the pass, but I don't think this is going to be one of them. They need to tire defenses down and/or make them account for the RPO. We'll see.
I think we were posting our replies at the same time :)

Justin Fields completed 8-of-17 passes for 121 yards, two touchdowns and an interception in the Bears' 19-10, Week 1 win over the 49ers, adding 11 carries for 28 additional yards.

There was a lot going on here, to put it mildly. With the field playing like a Churchill Downs that had been watered down for 72 straight hours, Fields entered the second half a ridiculous 3-of-9 for 19 yards. That included his pick, a pass that went to a part of the field with many 49ers and zero Bears. Then Fields managed to put his big arm and creativity to use, first on a 51-yard touchdown strike in the third quarter. The sophomore spun out of pressure, reversed fields, then crossed fields to a wide-open Dante Pettis on the broken play. For touchdown No. 2, Fields hit Equanimeous St. Brown in stride in the red zone for an 18-yard score. Those big plays more than salvaged Fields' day for the Bears and at least made him competitive in fantasy leagues. With softer defenses and better weather on tap, Fields will continue to be a QB2 streamer with QB1 upside. Chicago visits Green Bay in Week 2.
- NBCSportsEDGE

Justin Fields completed 7-of-11 passes for 70 yards and an interception in Chicago's 27-10, Week 2 loss to the Packers, adding eight carries for 20 yards and a touchdown.​

Fields hit Equanimeous St. Brown for 30 yards on the game's opening drive, making up almost half of his total passing yardage. He took three sacks and didn't remotely fool the Packers on a few running plays. He also had two near-touchdowns on Chicago's penultimate drive of the game, coming up just short of the pylon on third down and appearing to get the ball over the goal line in an "inconclusive enough to NFL refs to change the call" sort of way on fourth down. Fields has 191 passing yards in two games. Maybe the Texans in Week 3 will change things to some extent -- the Packers and 49ers are tough defenses -- but he's a risky superflex start given how little the Bears seem to want to pass the ball.
Sep 18, 2022, 11:40 PM ET

1. Never get involved in a land war in Asia.
2. Never draft an Ohio State quarterback.

Ohio State QBs in the NFL​

Art Schlichter
Mike Tomczak
Tom Tupa
Kent Graham
Kent Graham
Bobby Hoying
Joe Germaine
Craig Krenzel
Troy Smith
Terrelle Pryor
Cardale Jones
Dwayne Haskins
Justin Fields

It just boggles my mind how you can pass for 70 yards in a game you lost by 17. He doesn’t have 200 passing yards in two games combined.

1. Never get involved in a land war in Asia.
2. Never draft an Ohio State quarterback.

Ohio State QBs in the NFL​

Art Schlichter
Mike Tomczak
Tom Tupa
Kent Graham
Kent Graham
Bobby Hoying
Joe Germaine
Craig Krenzel
Troy Smith
Terrelle Pryor
Cardale Jones
Dwayne Haskins
Justin Fields
They all look great when they are surrounded by 4 and 5 star recruits in college.

It just boggles my mind how you can pass for 70 yards in a game you lost by 17. He doesn’t have 200 passing yards in two games combined.

At OSU Fields had 3 NFL WRs and an NFL RB playing against weaker teams as OSU was loaded. The WRs at OSU were always open with plenty of separation, add in the running game and Fields running himself and the college game was slower and easy for him.

The NFL defenses are faster,the windows are smaller and your first option is not always open. It is a different game that takes time to adjust to. Right now with a young QB you just look for game to game improvement with decision making and hope he develops.

Last edited:
I could be wrong but it looks like he struggles with reads and timing. Great pocket presence and awareness and can make all the throws, but 11 attempts shows the coaches aren't comfortable with the passing attack.

So are we not drafting Stroud? He looks different than most of those past QBs on the list, but is he being elevated due to a system?

I’m not sure we can judge Fields behind a horrible o-line and the worst collection of pass catchers in the league by far. Darnell Mooney as a team’s top WR is an absolute joke. This kid has no chance at all.

I’m not sure we can judge Fields behind a horrible o-line and the worst collection of pass catchers in the league by far. Darnell Mooney as a team’s top WR is an absolute joke. This kid has no chance at all.
Not quite as bad as when the had Devin Hester as their #1 WR but they are definitely pretty bad! Mooney would be a great #2 WR but is not cut out to be a #1

Fun facts through 2 games:

33 QBs have more pass attempts than Justin Fields

Cooper Kupp has more targets than Fields has attempts.

This guy is hurting CJ Stroud’s draft stock
Well, when's the last time an Ohio State QB has done anything at the next level?

Google "greatest tOSU Quarterbacks all-time" says:

Troy Smith
Art Schlichter
Bobby Hoying
Terrelle Pryor
Joe Germaine
Craig Krenzel
Mike Tomczak
Rex Kern
Braxton Miller
Les Horvath
Steve Bellisari
Greg Frey
Justin Zwick
Todd Boeckman
Kirk Herbstreit
Stanley Jackson
Tom Tupa
Kent Graham
Chic Harley

Wow. How could they leave off Joe Sparma (474 total yards v Michigan AND a World Series Champion) and Cornelius Greene (31-2-1)?

So are we not drafting Stroud? He looks different than most of those past QBs on the list, but is he being elevated due to a system?
I was just watching this game again on Monday and suddenly thought "wow, that is a HUGE pocket with no one around him" and immediately wondered how that would affect a transition to the NFL. He's never going to see that lack of pressure on a Sunday so we're going to have to watch closely how he responds. Our line was awful last year, has been for a couple years now, so I think he's probably already figured that out but I don't recall watching critically. I don't own Stroud in my devy league so really am just now starting to pay close attention to this.

This isn't to say it's an OSU QB or Fields thing though - Fields was fantastic against pressure in college (which he got a ton of because our line got DOMINATED way too often). He did a great job of moving around, buying time and creating throwing angles and then making good throws. He doesn't look like that guy right now.

I was just watching this game again on Monday and suddenly thought "wow, that is a HUGE pocket with no one around him" and immediately wondered how that would affect a transition to the NFL. He's never going to see that lack of pressure on a Sunday so we're going to have to watch closely how he responds. Our line was awful last year, has been for a couple years now, so I think he's probably already figured that out but I don't recall watching critically. I don't own Stroud in my devy league so really am just now starting to pay close attention to this.

This isn't to say it's an OSU QB or Fields thing though - Fields was fantastic against pressure in college (which he got a ton of because our line got DOMINATED way too often). He did a great job of moving around, buying time and creating throwing angles and then making good throws. He doesn't look like that guy right now.
It can be a OSU OL thing also, they just dominate the other teams.

The point was that the OL hasn't been good for a long time. They aren't doing the QB any favors like they did in the Barrett/Haskins days. If Fields or Stroud fails it won't be because they are used to sitting in the pocket unmolested for 9 seconds at a time.

Justin Fields completed 8-of-17 passes for 106 yards and two interceptions in Chicago's 23-20, Week 3 win over the Texans, adding 8 carries for 47 yards.

29 of the rushing yards came on one first-quarter scramble. The Bears do not trust their quarterback to throw the ball, simply speaking. They had three timeouts and 30 seconds left on the clock after converting a first down at the end of the second half and didn't use any of them. Fields' interceptions were both ghastly balls over the middle that were picked by deep safety Jalen Pitre. Even with a bad Giants defense up in Week 4, Fields is barely worth touching as a superflex option.

- NBCSportsEDGE

Users who are viewing this thread