What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

QB Justin Fields, PIT (3 Viewers)

Real bummer. I had a very good team that was weak at QB and I added Fields, started him the last 3 weeks Took my team from very good to the best in the league. Was a nice bonus but looks like the dream is over. I can't trust that they will let him loose again all year.

if they sit him through the bye, he'll come back to 2 tough matchups against philly and buffalo. would be hard to start him straight away if you have a decent option

Dislocated shoulder is probably good news, that's an injury that can certainly be played through, and if that is the only issue, I'd be surprised if he missed the Jets game.
I guess it can be played through, although can’t imagine it would be a smart thing to do for a guy who relies on his legs so much. You know defenses are going to key on that shoulder. Not like the playoffs are in reach and they have a bye in week 14. Wouldn’t surprise me at all if they let him rest through the bye.
I think you want him on the field, just to evaluate the team. Yeah, you probably don't have him running 20 times a game, but dislocated shoulder is often an issue of pain tolerance, and his is very high, he played through multiple broken ribs at Ohio St.

Dalvin Cook has been playing through a dislocated shoulder basically all year, it can certainly be done, and done effectively.

I would think maybe go from a 60-40 run/pass split to close to 50-50, but I think it'd be an upset if he sat out, or stopped running completely.

What worries me long-term about Fields when compared to a guy like Hurts, is that Fields has yet to develop a real passing game. You can't go on forever like that or you'll get hurt.
Really no way of assessing his development as a passer with the lack of WR talent on the Bears. I’d imagine Field’s would look ok passing if he was still throwing to Olave and Wilson.
That just seems like an excuse to cover up the fact that he can't really pass. The NFL is entirely different from college.

while I agree a good WR helps, a good QB can still pass regardless if his WR's aren't blue chip players. And I wouldn't consider Darnell Mooney a bad WR - he certainly has the goods.

What worries me long-term about Fields when compared to a guy like Hurts, is that Fields has yet to develop a real passing game. You can't go on forever like that or you'll get hurt.
Hurts hadn't really developed one at this point either.
Right. It was a worry for him at the time as well, but he had some good coaching and figured it out. As a Bears fan, I hope Fields does the same. He's progressed in his second year. I hope it continues, once he actually gets an OL.

Really no way of assessing his development as a passer with the lack of WR talent on the Bears. I’d imagine Field’s would look ok passing if he was still throwing to Olave and Wilson.
We'll definitely know a lot more by next season.

That just seems like an excuse to cover up the fact that he can't really pass. The NFL is entirely different from college.

while I agree a good WR helps, a good QB can still pass regardless if his WR's aren't blue chip players. And I wouldn't consider Darnell Mooney a bad WR - he certainly has the goods.
The Bears have probably the worst OL in the league and the worst group of WRs to go with it, and they were still putting up points. I'm willing to see how next season goes. Bears have far and away the most cap space in the league and a lot of draft picks.

Dislocated shoulder is probably good news, that's an injury that can certainly be played through, and if that is the only issue, I'd be surprised if he missed the Jets game.
I guess it can be played through, although can’t imagine it would be a smart thing to do for a guy who relies on his legs so much. You know defenses are going to key on that shoulder. Not like the playoffs are in reach and they have a bye in week 14. Wouldn’t surprise me at all if they let him rest through the bye.
I think you want him on the field, just to evaluate the team. Yeah, you probably don't have him running 20 times a game, but dislocated shoulder is often an issue of pain tolerance, and his is very high, he played through multiple broken ribs at Ohio St.

Dalvin Cook has been playing through a dislocated shoulder basically all year, it can certainly be done, and done effectively.

I would think maybe go from a 60-40 run/pass split to close to 50-50, but I think it'd be an upset if he sat out, or stopped running completely.
Not gonna happen. Bears have nothing to play for and they have another two years to see if he's the guy. No reason to risk further injury with a terrible OL and no one to throw to.

Are you all serious?
End of year?
FUDGE!!!

I had to release Watson so i could keep Fields 2 weeks ago as he was rising
Still have a QB1 but man have my rosters taken hit after hit, I can't get thru a week without a major injury right now
I mean that was from one of the rotoworld updates which aren't written the best but they used that verbage.

This run Fields has been on is like all-time fantasy great so we had to know it was going to regress a bit.

Did anybody see when the injury occurred? Was this sustained taking a sack, or via scramble or designed run? Thanks in advance..

Not gonna happen. Bears have nothing to play for and they have another two years to see if he's the guy. No reason to risk further injury with a terrible OL and no one to throw to.
I don't think they need the 2 years. He's the guy.

if they sit him through the bye, he'll come back to 2 tough matchups against philly and buffalo. would be hard to start him straight away if you have a decent option
Brissett just dropped 324/3 on the Bills.
that's fair but fields hasn't thrown for more than 208 this whole season. only thrown 3 tds once. if he comes back and they're conservative with runs for him, his ceiling would be capped

that's fair but fields hasn't thrown for more than 208 this whole season. only thrown 3 tds once. if he comes back and they're conservative with runs for him, his ceiling would be capped
Yeah fair points for sure. I am just bummed to see it. I’ve been rocked by the injury bug the last month.

Such a bummer

Would be pretty stupid to play him so I'm expecting he sits til the bye
If it's a dislocated shoulder, the bye is irrelevant. It's not going to heal in 2-3 weeks. It's also not likely to get worse, it's a pain tolerance thing.

His status this Sunday isn't gonna be that different than it would be in 3 weeks.

I know I'm probably spamming the thread a bit, but he's probably getting a shot, and maybe a brace or something, and playing Sunday, and probably not altering his game all that much.

Some of the posts here are eerily similar to what was said about Jalen Hurts regularly during his first two seasons. And now look. Health and coaching permitting, I think Fields is a very similar player with a similar path to success.
Really hope so

The Bears have probably the worst OL in the league and the worst group of WRs to go with it, and they were still putting up points. I'm willing to see how next season goes. Bears have far and away the most cap space in the league and a lot of draft picks.

I don't know, the Rams have one of the worst OLines too but Cooper Kupp was still getting his from Stafford. I don't consider Mooney as good as Kupp, but he ain't no slouch either.

I just think that Fields has had 2 years to show the goods and all he's really shown - like all other running QBs - is that he'll call his number far more than anyone else's, which is a standard move for QBs who can't really pass.

I'm jaded against running QBs, though. They never work out for the most part. They offer a few years of FF glory but when injuries and NFL Defenses catch up with them - and they ALWAYS do - and they are FORCED to pass, then they are exposed as QB frauds, IMO.

Last edited:

I don't know, the Rams have one of the worst OLines too but Cooper Kupp was still getting his from Stafford. I don't consider Mooney as good as Kupp, but he ain't no slouch either.

I just think that Fields has had 2 years to show the goods and all he's really shown - like all other running QBs - is that he'll call his number far more than anyone else's, which is a standard move for QBs who can't really pass.

I'm jaded against running QBs, though. They never work out for the most part. They offer a few years of FF glory but when injuries and NFL Defenses catch up with them and they are FORCED to pass, then they are exposed as QB frauds, IMO.
Understood. We'll know a lot more by this time next year. I'd say last year was a lost year, and he's shown some growth this year. He'll have to continue to grow or he'll end up like all the rest.

Grabbed him last week , i had the 4 WW and nobody took him before me . Thats insane

I also grabbed Tua just before he came off IR

Im trying to move Tua for someone decent but honestly i wont be heartbroken if i cant, hes a great back up
Fields rushing TD yesterday when he looked like he was surrounded and sacked , then got away and barreled into 2 defenders to score ....all i can say is WOW.

He does make me a bit nervous , thats a recipe for injury , hence keeping Tua around
Aaaaaand IN goes Tua

Some of the posts here are eerily similar to what was said about Jalen Hurts regularly during his first two seasons. And now look. Health and coaching permitting, I think Fields is a very similar player with a similar path to success.
The Bears will need to surround him with a ton of talent like the Eagles have Hurts. Killer OL and a ton of receiving weapons. Bears have neither yet.

The Bears will need to surround him with a ton of talent like the Eagles have Hurts. Killer OL and a ton of receiving weapons. Bears have neither yet.
I'm not sure they are as far away as some may think. The OL is decent right now, and has 3 starters in their 1st or 2nd season (Jenkins, Borom, Jones) all of whom have improved as the season has gone on. Whitehair is a very solid interior player who can play G or C.

Kmet is a solid TE, I think they are fine with him starting. I think Mooney is a solid #2 WR, and Claypool should be a solid big slot guy.

I think one OL starter, and most importantly, a true #1 WR and this offense is set.

I'm not sure they are as far away as some may think. The OL is decent right now, and has 3 starters in their 1st or 2nd season (Jenkins, Borom, Jones) all of whom have improved as the season has gone on. Whitehair is a very solid interior player who can play G or C.

Kmet is a solid TE, I think they are fine with him starting. I think Mooney is a solid #2 WR, and Claypool should be a solid big slot guy.

I think one OL starter, and most importantly, a true #1 WR and this offense is set.
They've given up 40 sacks this year, easily the worst in the league.

This is far from the truth. The Giants are much worse at WR. Carolina, Detroit, Chiefs, Packers, Titans are all in the same boat as well.

Its not EASILY the worst in the league, they aren't even alone at 40, Indy has given up 40 as well. Rams, Bengals, and Broncos are at 35, 34, and 33, and have all played 1 fewer game than Chi/Ind.

Anyway, that's more about Fields than the OL. His playmaking ability often leads to sacks, just like Wilson's always did. Watson had this problem in Houston too. Its not just a running QB thing either, its often, great pocket passers who refuse to cut their losses on plays too, like Burrow or prime Big Ben. In fact, sacks are more often than not a QB stat. OL is responsible for pressures, but its on the QB to recognize and react to prevent sacks. That's a big reason why a lot QB's with bad OL's still weren't sacked often. Rivers immediately comes to mind.

Bears are 2nd in the NFL in yards per carry. OL certainly deserves some credit for that. Honestly, I'd very much argue the Bears have a top-10 OL in the NFL, but I've found that pretty much every fan base thinks their teams OL is worse than it is, other than maybe Philly.

Its not EASILY the worst in the league, they aren't even alone at 40, Indy has given up 40 as well. Rams, Bengals, and Broncos are at 35, 34, and 33, and have all played 1 fewer game than Chi/Ind.

Anyway, that's more about Fields than the OL. His playmaking ability often leads to sacks, just like Wilson's always did. Watson had this problem in Houston too. Its not just a running QB thing either, its often, great pocket passers who refuse to cut their losses on plays too, like Burrow or prime Big Ben. In fact, sacks are more often than not a QB stat. OL is responsible for pressures, but its on the QB to recognize and react to prevent sacks. That's a big reason why a lot QB's with bad OL's still weren't sacked often. Rivers immediately comes to mind.

Bears are 2nd in the NFL in yards per carry. OL certainly deserves some credit for that. Honestly, I'd very much argue the Bears have a top-10 OL in the NFL, but I've found that pretty much every fan base thinks their teams OL is worse than it is, other than maybe Philly.
I guess we are about to find out if the OL is any good, or if the QB was just running for his life

This is far from the truth. The Giants are much worse at WR. Carolina, Detroit, Chiefs, Packers, Titans are all in the same boat as well.
Not far at all. Anyone thinking the Bears have a decent group of WRs is reaching for reasons to doubt Fields. And their OL is pitiful. Not sure how anyone could think they are one or two starts away on offense. Not even close. I'm not yet sold on Fields, but I'd like to see him with a better OL and a good group of WRs. Fields needs to start showing he can stay in the pocket and not depend on his legs as much.

They're so far behind in their own division it makes absolutely no sense to push Fields back into playing earlier than he's ready. So far he's shown enough to make them think that he could be the guy, so they should protect him. However, he still needs all the reps he can get to continue to develop as a passer so I don't think this is a "shut him down for 2022" type situation, they'll want to see as much of him as they can. But he's shown enough promise that they'd be insane to risk him if he's not healthy.

RGTHREE2.0?

What are the Bears doing here? Seriously! Running this guy every play isn't winning you games. Running this guy every play isn't helping him develop as a passer. Running this guy every play isn't helping Mooney and Claypool develop. Running this guy every play is breaking him down physically and at this point risking serious injury.

He's a freakish talent. We know. We get it. He's got a rare competitive fire. We know. He's not an NFL QB yet, he needs work. His legs can open huge passing lanes. Help him see that.

You're out of the playoffs, protect this guy! Help him develop! At this point, I have a really bad feeling about Justin's future in the league.

RGTHREE2.0?

What are the Bears doing here? Seriously! Running this guy every play isn't winning you games. Running this guy every play isn't helping him develop as a passer. Running this guy every play isn't helping Mooney and Claypool develop. Running this guy every play is breaking him down physically and at this point risking serious injury.

He's a freakish talent. We know. We get it. He's got a rare competitive fire. We know. He's not an NFL QB yet, he needs work. His legs can open huge passing lanes. Help him see that.

You're out of the playoffs, protect this guy! Help him develop! At this point, I have a really bad feeling about Justin's future in the league.
Hyperbole aside, designed QB runs have really helped Justin develop. He has started going through his progressions instead of 1 read and scramble. I like his chances of progressing into a Russ Wilson style QB who can run but normally opts to pass as opposed to the RG3 kind of guy who had trouble making progressions and used his legs as a crutch often.

RGTHREE2.0?

Hyperbole aside, designed QB runs have really helped Justin develop. He has started going through his progressions instead of 1 read and scramble. I like his chances of progressing into a Russ Wilson style QB who can run but normally opts to pass as opposed to the RG3 kind of guy who had trouble making progressions and used his legs as a crutch often.
I really like Fields, but the difference between him and Russ or even Lamar (even RGIII) is that these guys were competent QBs from the start. Good decisions and relatively accurate. Saying RGIII couldn't make reads or used his legs as a crutch is revisionist history. Pre/post injury he was a different player. Initially, RGIII was also loads more accurate on every throw than Fields has been. RGIII's legs helped open things up for the pass, and after he slowed down and his legs weren't a threat, he became pedestrian. Anyway, I see a whole lot more Cam Newton in Fields than I do Russ or Lamar.

Russ and Lamar developed into something more, Lamar especially. And maybe that's partly due to the system, maybe not. All I'll say is that running him so much in a losing effort against Atlanta to the point where he needs to be carted off the field helps no one.

Justin Fields (shoulder) was cleared to practice Wednesday.​

Bears head coach Matt Eberflus on Monday described Fields as "day to day" following a shoulder injury he sustained in Week 11 against the Falcons. Fields was also seen grabbing him hamstring late in the game against Atlanta. That Fields can log a limited Wednesday session is good news for his Week 12 availability against the Jets. "If he's ready to play, he's going to play," Eberflus told reporters Wednesday. He leads all quarterbacks in rushing, averaging 75.8 yards on the ground per game. Fields is on pace for nearly 1,300 rushing yards. Fantasy managers have to start Fields if he suits up against the Jets.
SOURCE: Jonathan Jones on Twitter
Nov 23, 2022, 12:42 PM ET

Bears head coach Matt Eberflus on Monday described Fields as "day to day" following a shoulder injury he sustained in Week 11 against the Falcons. Fields was also seen grabbing him hamstring late in the game against Atlanta. That Fields can log a limited Wednesday session is good news for his Week 12 availability against the Jets. "If he's ready to play, he's going to play," Eberflus told reporters Wednesday. He leads all quarterbacks in rushing, averaging 75.8 yards on the ground per game. Fields is on pace for nearly 1,300 rushing yards. Fantasy managers have to start Fields if he suits up against the Jets.
cleared for a walk through

It’s a start.

It’s a start.
He's playing and he'll continue to be studly. Perhaps 50 yards rushing, a rush TD, 200 yards and 2 more TD's. I think us Fields owners who start him would love to get 20 points this week, which is above current projection numbers.

Justin Fields said he suffered a separated shoulder with a partially torn ligament and called it "basically an AC joint" injury.​

Fields took part in the team's walkthrough, but his comments after practice didn't paint a pretty picture. He said he was dealing with pain while handing the ball off and on the follow-through of his throws during Wednesday's practice. Fields added that if the Bears' game was on Wednesday, he would not be able to play. It sounds like he will truly be questionable for Week 12, though it would make sense for the Bears to simply sit him for a week to heal. Trevor Siemian would draw the start if Fields is held out.
SOURCE: Courtney Cronin on Twitter
Nov 23, 2022, 2:35 PM ET

Justin Fields said he suffered a separated shoulder with a partially torn ligament and called it "basically an AC joint" injury.​

Fields took part in the team's walkthrough, but his comments after practice didn't paint a pretty picture. He said he was dealing with pain while handing the ball off and on the follow-through of his throws during Wednesday's practice. Fields added that if the Bears' game was on Wednesday, he would not be able to play. It sounds like he will truly be questionable for Week 12, though it would make sense for the Bears to simply sit him for a week to heal. Trevor Siemian would draw the start if Fields is held out.
SOURCE: Courtney Cronin on Twitter
Nov 23, 2022, 2:35 PM ET
Yep

It’s a start.
He's playing and he'll continue to be studly. Perhaps 50 yards rushing, a rush TD, 200 yards and 2 more TD's. I think us Fields owners who start him would love to get 20 points this week, which is above current projection numbers.

Wish I was that optimistic. Maybe reports start trending even better tmrw and Friday.

The matchup is not at all good. That D is nails and now they may actually have an offense with non Z. Wilson QB. Could see a complete NYJ roll. I'd be petrified if I was a CHI Bears fan.

It’s a start.

Wish I was that optimistic. Maybe reports start trending even better tmrw and Friday.

The matchup is not at all good. That D is nails and now they may actually have an offense with non Z. Wilson QB. Could see a complete NYJ roll. I'd be petrified if I was a CHI Bears fan.
Jets do give up big plays in the run game.

It’s a start.
Highly, highly doubt he’s playing based on his own quote.

I can’t see Chicago taking any risks whatsoever with Fields considering their current position in the standings and his future importance to the franchise. I have to admit I picked up the Jets defense this week (just want Fields to let the turkey digest properly this week and then be fine for Week 13).

Users who are viewing this thread