What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

QB Kenny Pickett, PHI (1 Viewer)

Steelers coach Mike Tomlin said No. 20 overall pick Kenny Pickett "certainly has a chance" to start Week 1. 

Free Mitchell Trubisky. In all seriousness, it would be shocking if Pickett was not given a chance to start considering the Steelers felt he was worth a first-round pick. Tomlin said Pickett is "ready made" and "hopefully that's an asset to him." At this point, Pickett is probably the favorite to start Week 1. 

RELATED: 

Mitchell Trubisky

SOURCE: Ian Rapoport on Twitter

Apr 30, 2022, 5:05 PM ET

Steelers general manager Kevin Colbert said any concern about Kenny Pickett's hand size was negated by watching his ball handling at Pitt. 

“Honestly, I never paid attention to that,” Colbert said. “We look at the results. We watch Kenny play in our environment. ... Can he throw the football? Absolutely. Did he have an excessive fumble rate? No, he didn’t. We just judge it on how he played.” Colbert previously said the Steelers don't get "hung up on all the analytical measurements" when evaluating players, made clear by their first-round selection of Pickett. Some teams expressed concern about Pickett's small hands and his 39 fumbles in his tenure as Pitt's starter. Pickett will likely compete with Mitchell Trubisky for the Steelers' Week 1 starting job. 

SOURCE: ProFootballTalk.com 

May 5, 2022, 8:51 AM ET

I don't think Pickett will see the field until October and perhaps longer if Trubisky can hold the fort down. The longer he holds a clipboard and learns the offense and can absorb on the sidelines what is unfolding the better IMHO. I have high hopes for Pickett and Pittsburgh was a good landing spot, good strong front office and coaching staff around him, they likely won't allow him to fail. 

But I think those that play FF should be patient and not expect a lot Week 1. 

I don't think Pickett will see the field until October and perhaps longer if Trubisky can hold the fort down. The longer he holds a clipboard and learns the offense and can absorb on the sidelines what is unfolding the better IMHO. I have high hopes for Pickett and Pittsburgh was a good landing spot, good strong front office and coaching staff around him, they likely won't allow him to fail. 

But I think those that play FF should be patient and not expect a lot Week 1. 
But are his hands big enough to hold an NFL size clipboard?

The first thing that screams at you in seeing Kenny Pickett on the field at rookie minicamp is cool and composed
Oh man, the first reports aren't about how great he looks, his big arm, how his natural athleticism shines.  Nope.

The first reports are 'he looks cool and composed' lol.  Oh boy, this will be fun, lol.

Poor pass blocking doesn't help any QB but he brings limitations.

Kenny Pickett Is a Risk NFL Team's Shouldn't Take Early in 2022 NFL Draft

Ian@NFLFilmStudy

Good and bad. He creates false pressure for himself way too often. Happy feet in the pocket. Does deliver a strike at least.

Ian@NFLFilmStudy

Probably my biggest issue with Pickett is he's a 5th-year QB who doesn't see the field well. Gets stuck on a minimal gain when his top WR was always going to have leverage

... his dependence on short routes shows an inability to recognize pre- and post-snap defensive alignments. He loves to extend plays and usually rolls to his right, with 53 of his 66 out-of-pocket attempts in 2021 coming from the right of the pocket. But this crutch can't continue, as NFL defenses will simply roll coverages and bring an extra pass-rusher to the strong side of the field to restrict his greatest strength.

... Once his primary read isn't open, Pickett often panics and runs into pressure or breaks the offensive flow. 

... Asking him to hit tight windows and isolated routes outside the numbers will expose a weaker arm and lack of anticipation.

...  , the only way for Pickett to overcome his inability to reliably throw off-platform is to master his pre-snap reads. However, he struggles to attack downfield windows when his receivers don't outright win their one-on-one route against man coverage

... a virtual non-factor in 3rd-and-long situations. Of his 39 pass attempts on third and fourth down and 10 or more yards, only 18 went beyond the markers. Only 10 of those 18 attempts were catchable. A journeyman such as Teddy Bridgewater has the same limitations and restricts what an offense can achieve in key moments.

Ian@NFLFilmStudy

For the bad, and again there's plenty in this game. He struggles to make these tough angled throws. Lacks the natural accuracy to wing this one like top QBs can

... There couldn't be a worse fit in this year's draft for Pickett than Carolina or Pittsburgh considering their poor pass blocking and vertical receiving threats.

Bracie Smathers said:
Oh man, the first reports aren't about how great he looks, his big arm, how his natural athleticism shines.  Nope.

The first reports are 'he looks cool and composed' lol.  Oh boy, this will be fun, lol.
Hmmm, so two weeks ago, the knock on him was that he was too quick to panic and creates false pressure on himself.  Now, the reports say that he's cool and collected, so it becomes: "sure, he's cool and collected, but they didn't rave about his arm."  Face it, this guy will never  be Baker Mayfield.

Bracie Smathers said:

Do these reports mean anything at all though? 

The report that matters is if he can beat out Lil Mitchy for the starting job. 
The report that really matters is if he CAN'T beat out Mitchy for the starting job at some point this season.

Only a handful of 1st round QBs didn't get at least one start their rookie season over the past three decades, two of them sat behind HOF QBs in Green Bay. 

Trubisky isn't a HOF QB.

Pickett will be named the starter at 'some point' this year.  

Offensive rookie of the year odds +500. As much as I like Pickett, I'm not placing that bet.
QBs get all the love and he might be the only rookie QB starting.

I wouldn’t touch the bet either, but if the WRs disappoint and PIT has a winning season…

Acrobat7 said:
QBs get all the love and he might be the only rookie QB starting.

I wouldn’t touch the bet either, but if the WRs disappoint and PIT has a winning season…

For MVP you are right about QBs, for OROY, not so much. Go and look at the winners, it's RB/WR a lot more than you think

Kenny Pickett’s QB Coach Compares Athleticism To Dak Prescott: ‘He Can Move, And He’s Gonna Have To Move’
Kent Lee Platte@MathBomb

For a guy many didn't think was very athletic (which is silly, IMO), Kenny Pickett's closest athletic comp is Deshaun Watson. #Steelers #RAS

LINK RAS Pickett / Watson

For comparison's sake, here's another RAS score to put things into context:

LINK - Context

Last edited by a moderator:
The Athletic's Mark Kaboly reports that Steelers QB Kenny Pickett worked exclusively with the third-string offense in OTAs and minicamp.

Pickett's time with the third-string offense bolsters reports that Mitchell Trubisky has a clear lead for the Week 1 starting job. Kaboly writes, "Unless Trubisky gets hurt or plays terribly in camp and the preseason, it’s difficult to imagine a scenario where he doesn’t start the season as the No. 1." Fantasy managers can be forgiven for being initially skeptical that the Steelers would slow play a 24-year-old whose top trait was supposedly being pro-ready, but it does appear highly unlikely that Pickett will begin the year as the starter. How soon the rookie plays will likely come down to whether Mike Tomlin can eke out wins with Trubisky under center.

RELATED: 

Mitchell Trubisky

SOURCE: The Athletic

Jun 27, 2022, 9:39 AM ET

Andrew Fillipponi@ThePoniExpress

If Kenny Pickett reminds another QB guru of Joe Burrow. And Pickett plays for a team with a better coach, better front office, better support staff, better organization. Then it stands to reason Pickett will be better than Joe Burrow. You feel me?

I've been saying the whole time he reminds me of Burrow. What's the big deal? One can compare them without saying Pickett will be just as good. Tbf, he will probably be better.

1 Move Every NFL Team Should Make Before the 2022 Season Begins

Pittsburgh Steelers: Immediately Name Kenny Pickett Starter

The Pittsburgh Steelers drafted Kenny Pickett, who turns 24 before the start of the regular season, with the 20th overall pick in this year's draft. However, they plan to open the campaign with Mitch Trubisky behind center. The idea borders on nonsensical.

The Steelers spent all offseason searching for their franchise quarterback. They closely evaluated all of their available options in the draft and settled on Pickett. Internally, the team viewed him as the most pro-ready of the bunch.

"It's almost like he spent his rookie NFL season at the college level and really mastered it," former Steelers general manager Kevin Colbert, who selected Pickett before retiring, said during an interview on Pittsburgh's 105.9 The X (h/t ESPN's Brooke Pryor).

"Coach [Pat] Narduzzi and coach [Mark] Whipple provided him an opportunity to take that step in a pro schematic. And it is easier to project those types of players and those schematics to our level. It's not that the others that play in a more college-type offense can't do it—it's just more guesswork."

Let's be done with the farcical, "He needs to earn the spot." Contracts and draft status often dictate roster decisions. Pickett will be the Steelers' starting quarterback and should be from the start of training camp to get as many quality reps as possible in preparation for the 2022 campaign.

Pickett is clearly the guy. The only question I see is whether the coaches think his development will be quicker/better long term by starting Game 1  or by watching someone else face the tough situations from the sidelines for 2 or 3 or 5 games. Where he is and coaching philosophy will dictate which course. I think some coaches strongly favor one approach and some the other. Tomlin?  :shrug:

Sigh. You can replace clearly with seems to be if that reads more accurately to you. The distance by which Pinkett leads the probability competition wasn't my point. 

Sigh. You can replace clearly with seems to be if that reads more accurately to you. The distance by which Pinkett leads the probability competition wasn't my point. 
I'd be shocked if T'bisky wasn't starting opening week and would merely be surprised if he didn't start the whole season (health depending) -- I guess we'll see.

Steelers 2022 Training Camp Recap, Day 4: Kenny Pickett finally gets his “shot”

...On Saturday, Mitch Trubisky continued to struggle, Mason Rudolph was average, ... a new quarterback... in the drill... Kenny Pickett.

Brooke Pryor@bepryor

Mitch Trubisky, meanwhile, went 0/4 for the second day in a row on 7 shots. Rudolph went 1/2, first throw — on a free play — got tipped LOS and Donovan Stiner made what looked like a diving INT, but ball popped out of his hands and Connor Heyward grabbed it for a TD.

Pickett was given one repetition in the drill, and he made the most of it. ..

Charles Palla@ChazPalla

Steelers receiver Tyler Vaughn pulls in a Kenny Pickett pass for a touchdown...

All but a handful of QBs taken in the first round have NOT started their rookie seasons at some point and one of them, Aarron Rodgers had a HOF QB keeping him on the bench so IMHO its a matter of time before Pickett gets his shot to start this year.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
ESPN predicts Kenny Pickett takes over Steelers QB job
...ESPN believes the most likely scenario is Pickett either takes over late this season or more likely get the starting job next spring. Whether or not Pickett starts this season could be dependent on how well the Steelers are playing. If Pittsburgh get off to a slow start and are struggling at the bye week, Pittsburgh could be looking to make a move.

All but a handful of QBs taken in the first round have NOT started their rookie seasons at some point and one of them, Aarron Rodgers had a HOF QB keeping him on the bench so IMHO its a matter of time before Pickett gets his shot to start this year.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
ESPN predicts Kenny Pickett takes over Steelers QB job
...ESPN believes the most likely scenario is Pickett either takes over late this season or more likely get the starting job next spring. Whether or not Pickett starts this season could be dependent on how well the Steelers are playing. If Pittsburgh get off to a slow start and are struggling at the bye week, Pittsburgh could be looking to make a move.
He will start if they are eliminated from playoff competition. Given Tomlin's history, that means I doubt he starts this year

Looked pretty good last night as did all of the Steelers' QBs but I definitely liked what I saw from Pickett.
Not going to start right away which isn't a bad thing at all. He's landed at a quality organization and has a bright future.

Brent Sobleski
@brentsobleski

Seriously, can we stop the charade that Kenny Pickett needs to earn the starting spot in Pittsburgh? Yes, his performance is against backups. But he'll be 24 by start of season. Only 1st-round QB. Previous Steelers GM said he was the most pro ready. Obvious where this is going.
--------------------------------------------------
Pittsburgh Steelers
@Steelers
@kennypickett10
's best plays from Preseason Week 1

LINK

Users who are viewing this thread