What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

QB Kenny Pickett, PHI (1 Viewer)

Compressed plays for Trubisky and Pickett from last night. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JAcI-O3pW-8&t=162s
Pickett made some solid plays there, but I think the biggest takeaway from that video is the PIT o-line looks terrible.
All the pundits gave the Bears crap from letting James Daniels walk. Now we see why...

Can they take him back? He has been horrible in camp, and in pre season games.

The faster Pickett is starting, the better the Steelers will be. Simple as that. Probably a bit of a rebuilding year regardless, as the Steelers needed a ton of luck, and had basically every possible break go their way last year to get the #7 seed.

FWIW I think Tomlin is playing mind games. I think that Trubisky will start the first few games but it 'appears' as though it is 'kinda' up in the air right now.

---------------------
Chris Adamski

@C_AdamskiTrib
9m

Trubisky/media interaction-
M: You anticipate starting Sun?
MT: Ummm yes
M: Operating under assumption you're the reg-season starter?
MT: That sounds like a trick question. I don’t like the question. I can only assume that I'm going out to practice today...trying to get better
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Joe Starkey: Mike Tomlin wouldn’t start Kenny Pickett in the season opener ... or would he?

The Athletic's Mark Kaboly reports Kenny Pickett is making a "late push" for Steelers starting duties.​

Pickett has seen an uptick in first-team reps after turning in back-to-back excellent preseason performances, and QBs coach Mike Sullivan has been effusive in his praise. “The thing that stood out with Kenny from the games is that it hasn’t been too big for him,” Sullivan said. “Secondly, he has shown a knack, particularly in this second game, to have poise and anticipation. He made some throws with defenders right up in his face." Mitchell Trubisky, meanwhile, has underwhelmed anyone who has seen Steelers practice. Even if it's not Week 1, it's a matter of when, not if, Pickett replaces his veteran caretaker.
RELATED:
SOURCE: The Athletic
Aug 25, 2022, 3:47 PM ET

Trubisky/media interaction-
M: You anticipate starting Sun?
MT: Ummm yes
M: Operating under assumption you're the reg-season starter?
MT: That sounds like a trick question. I don’t like the question. I can only assume that I'm going out to practice today...trying to get better
I feel bad for these players having to deal with all this b.s. all the time from reporters. I know hes making millions of dollars and has a hot wife, but give the man a break.

Two drives by Trubisky; one pretty nice drop in long pass. But the offensive line is so bad. Hopefully Pickett is next.

Honestly though as somebody who wants long term success for the Steelers I don’t know if I really should want to see Pickett as the starting QB with this line.

Two drives by Trubisky; one pretty nice drop in long pass. But the offensive line is so bad. Hopefully Pickett is next.

Honestly though as somebody who wants long term success for the Steelers I don’t know if I really should want to see Pickett as the starting QB with this line.

How are you watching this?

It's on CBS here in Houston

Thanks. Got it now. Must be a national game. Tuned in too late for the starters, though. Bummer.

Well, Trubisky is still in there, huh? When's Kenny coming in?
They've played mostly starters the whole half. Dionte Johnson and TJ Watt have exited with injuries, not sure severity. I'd assume Pickett would get the nod after half...

The fact that Trubisky played the entire 1st half pretty much tells us that as of now there is no drama here. He’s the starter until further notice

Kenny Pickett completed 10-of-14 passes for 90 scoreless yards in Pittsburgh's 19-9 preseason win over the Lions.​

Pickett finishes the preseason with a total line of 29-of-36 for 261 yards and three touchdowns. If he hadn't fallen behind so far early in camp, perhaps that would have been enough to make a real run at the starting job. As it is, he didn't play much at all with the starters and only came on in the second half here. Pickett led drives that ended in two field-goal attempts before Mason Rudolph mopped up. Pickett will likely draw starts at some point this season. The only remaining question is "when?"
Aug 28, 2022, 7:54 PM ET

The good news is that Kenny Pickett has significantly reduced his average time to throw from a pre-draft average of 3.19 seconds down to only 2.31 seconds.
===========
Steelers Draft Kenny Pickett: Fantasy Football Outlook (2022)
...He does tend to go slowly through progressions and hold the ball too long, as evidenced by a 3.19-second average time to throw – ...
---------------------
Steelers Depot
@Steelersdepot

PFF: Steelers quarterback Kenny Pickett had an average time to throw of just 2.31 seconds — further proof that he's sped up his game at the NFL level. #Steelers #NFL
========================================
The bad news is that last year Ben Roethlisberger led the NFL in average time to throw at 2.25 seconds which would make Pickett .06 seconds longer than the NFL longest average time to throw last year.

Ben Roethlisberger average time to throw 2.25 seconds
Pickett will 'eventually' be starting this season so he will have to rely on his offensive line to provide him enough time.
That offensive line 'could' be a problem.
---------------------------------------------------------
Steelers’ awful offensive line should be flagged for holding Kenny Pickett back
The biggest threat to Kenny Pickett's future as the starting QB for the Pittsburgh Steelers is the porously poor offensive line right in front of him. This bargain-basement blocking unit is no better than last season -- and could be worse. At best, it will slow Pickett's progression as the eventual Steelers's starter. At worst, it could wreck his career with a serious injury. We delve into the climax of the QB battle and dig deeper as to why the Steelers didn't build a better foundation upfront to protect its young franchise quarterback...
===================================================
Go to the link above for the full read.

The good news is that Kenny Pickett has significantly reduced his average time to throw from a pre-draft average of 3.19 seconds down to only 2.31 seconds.
===========
...He does tend to go slowly through progressions and hold the ball too long, as evidenced by a 3.19-second average time to throw – ...
---------------------
Steelers Depot
@Steelersdepot

PFF: Steelers quarterback Kenny Pickett had an average time to throw of just 2.31 seconds — further proof that he's sped up his game at the NFL level. #Steelers #NFL
The bad news is that last year Ben Roethlisberger led the NFL in average time to throw at 2.25 seconds which would make Pickett .06 seconds longer than the NFL longest average time to throw last year.

Pickett will 'eventually' be starting this season so he will have to rely on his offensive line to provide him enough time.
The biggest threat to Kenny Pickett's future as the starting QB for the Pittsburgh Steelers is the porously poor offensive line right in front of him. This bargain-basement blocking unit is no better than last season -- and could be worse. At best, it will slow Pickett's progression as the eventual Steelers's starter. At worst, it could wreck his career with a serious injury. We delve into the climax of the QB battle and dig deeper as to why the Steelers didn't build a better foundation upfront to protect its young franchise quarterback...
I think Ben's release time was actually the fastest. Not the slowest. So KP is slightly slower, but still has a quick release. I was not a fan of the pick at the time, but he has impressed me. I would like to see more of his deep ball, but there are some great skill players here who can make plays after the catch and on the run.

Last edited:
I was at practice the one day and witnessed Tomlin scold Pickett about holding onto the ball.

I wonder, is this a matter of offensive philosophy now. Because Ben had the problem of taking sacks trying to get a big play for most of his career. Until recently that is, when the offense went to a quick passing scheme.

===========
---------------------
Steelers Depot
@Steelersdepot

I think Ben's release time was actually the fastest. Not the slowest. So KP is slightly slower, but still has a quick release. I was not a fan of the pick at the time, but he has impressed me. I would like to see more of his deep ball, but there are some great skill players here who can make plays after the catch and on the run.
Per this site, you are correct and a release time of 2.31 would have been the fastest in the league last year. Brady averaged 2.5.

I think Ben's release time was actually the fastest. Not the slowest. So KP is slightly slower, but still has a quick release.
Oops, yep you are right. The article doesn't allow cutting and pasting so I misread the second sentence where it says Ben had the 2nd lowest average depth of target at 7.1 yards which would explain why he got the ball out so quick.

Trubisky should start for several reasons.
  • He started as the #1 and didn't play poorly enough to lose the job and nobody played good enough to pass him.
  • It's easier to move from Trubisky to Pickett if the Steelers have a bad record, than starting Pickett and having to stick with him ( replacing Pickett with Trubisky would make zero sense).
  • Pickett looked great in preseason, starting Trubisky early allows him to continue growing/learning during the season rather than being thrown into the fray immediately.
  • The online is pretty bad, delaying Pickett's playing time give them a change to gel and get a bit better before he plays in the regular season.

Pickett will eventually get the chance to be the next "franchise QB" for the Steelers, but that chance should not start week 1 of 2022.

This is an old Tatum Bell motivation plan, Pickett will be starting by mid-October if not sooner.

Does Pittsburgh want to be picking top5 next year after they just invested a 1st into Kenny Pickett?

Fox Sports' Jay Glazer reports Steelers head coach Mike Tomlin plans to "sit Kenny Pickett all season long."​

Pickett's impressive preseason outings didn't change the calculus for Tomlin, who apparently wants to let the rookie learn about the NFL from the bench. Glazer's report indicates Tomlin would probably start Mason Rudolph over Pickett if Mitchell Trubisky misses time with injury or gets benched for poor play. If Tomlin is committed to Pickett riding the bench for all of 2022, the rookie QB is likely safe to drop even in superflex formats.
RELATED:

Fox Sports' Jay Glazer reports Steelers head coach Mike Tomlin plans to "sit Kenny Pickett all season long."​

Pickett's impressive preseason outings didn't change the calculus for Tomlin, who apparently wants to let the rookie learn about the NFL from the bench. Glazer's report indicates Tomlin would probably start Mason Rudolph over Pickett if Mitchell Trubisky misses time with injury or gets benched for poor play. If Tomlin is committed to Pickett riding the bench for all of 2022, the rookie QB is likely safe to drop even in superflex formats.
RELATED:
Won't happen. Mitch will get worse with each game and force his hand.

RELATED:
Won't happen. Mitch will get worse with each game and force his hand.
Yup the Steelers D looks to be dominant again. No way in hell Tomlin wastes this season by starting Trubisky all year.

As a headline says: He puts the 'pick' in Pickett.
Caused a loss to the JETS of all teams. Better luck in the future.

2 of this kid's picks were flat out attributable to his OWN WIDE OUTS .
He really didn't look bad at all.

The ones that think he looked "bad" didn't actually watch the game unfold.

I'm certainly not writing him in as the next Brady, but a LOT of this simply shouldn't be blamed on him, just because there were some picks.

He's liable to have growing pains for sure, adjusting to the NFL...........but he looks more than capable to me, at least at this point.

I own him precisely nowhere, and I don't play dynasty, but if I did I think some potential is there.

:bowtie:

Watched him all through college (Pitt dad) - I thought he would struggle with the NFL game, and he still might, but he’s always had a lot of moxie and good accuracy.

I think he’ll be just fine, but probably better as a game manager than an air it out passer. He may turn out to be a better NFL QB than a fantasy one, although he’s got good mobility as a floor.

Steelers plan to move forward with QB Kenny Pickett as their starting quarterback.​

Pickett made his NFL debut in the second half against the Jets on Sunday. It wasn't an ideal start for the rookie, who tossed three interceptions, but he showed some promising signs in terms of what he can bring to the offense. Pickett rushed for two short touchdowns, and none of his three interceptions were fully on him, with one being a desperation Hail Mary. Pickett showed a strong connection with rookie WR George Pickens. It's possible that Pickett's promotion will hurt Diontae Johnson's value if he's more focused on going downfield than Trubisky. However, Johnson has such a strong track record of earning targets that his initial connection with Pickett should not set off alarm bells. The move could be worse for Chase Claypool if Pickett and Pickens do indeed have a strong connection. Unlike last week, Pickett will now have a week of practice to prepare with the first-team offense before getting his first start against a very strong Bills defense.
RELATED:
SOURCE: Ian Rapoport on Twitter
Oct 3, 2022, 5:38 PM ET

Users who are viewing this thread