What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

QB Kenny Pickett, PHI (1 Viewer)

Here are my thoughts on Pickett from a Steelers season ticket holder.

- A high majority of Steelers fans are obviously Pitt fans.
- Pickett wouldn't even be on this roster (at least not in the first round) if the Steelers hadn't whiffed on Dan Marino 40 years ago. Yeah, they're still living that PR nightmare because... Yinzers.
- Trubisky really didn't play badly. He was probably better than Ben was last year. But, Pitt.
- The crowd lost their collective minds when Pickett got in. That was the most productive thing that he did.

This is the most important thing. I saw it all preseason and I saw it again on Sunday.

Pickett locks onto his primary receiver as soon as the ball is snapped. If he's open, he throws it. If he's not open, he either tucks and runs, or throws it anyway. In four games now, he has never looked off a receiver once. Go look at the film.

If you pick him up to use this year, that's a huge mistake. He could be a dynasty gem in future years, but lets face it - he's already on someone's roster. Let someone else waste the roster spot.

- Pickett wouldn't even be on this roster (at least not in the first round) if the Steelers hadn't whiffed on Dan Marino 40 years ago. Yeah, they're still living that PR nightmare because... Yinzers.
- Trubisky really didn't play badly. He was probably better than Ben was last year. But, Pitt.
- The crowd lost their collective minds when Pickett got in. That was the most productive thing that he did.

This is the most important thing. I saw it all preseason and I saw it again on Sunday.

Pickett locks onto his primary receiver as soon as the ball is snapped. If he's open, he throws it. If he's not open, he either tucks and runs, or throws it anyway. In four games now, he has never looked off a receiver once. Go look at the film.

If you pick him up to use this year, that's a huge mistake. He could be a dynasty gem in future years, but lets face it - he's already on someone's roster. Let someone else waste the roster spot.
Having watched Pickett for (seemingly 8) years in college, I think you're right that he does lock onto receivers. That said, he had the likes of Jordan Addison to throw to at Pitt, so it's not too surprising.

He's got a high football IQ with good mobility and an OK arm - seems like with the right pieces around him, he could become a decent NFL QB. Fantasy wise, I don't think the system will ever ask him to be a gunslinger, so he may be turn out to be a better NFL QB than a fantasy one.

He are my thoughts on your thoughts as a fellow Steelers season ticket holder:

1. I root for Pitt cause I was born and raised in Pittsburgh but I'm not a huge fan either. I went to school in Ohio so not a Pitt, Penn State or WVU so have none of that bias
2. I don't believe what the Steelers did 40 years had anything at all to do with Pickett being on the team. In retrospect it was an obvious mistake not to draft Marino but at the time the Steelers had Terry Bradshaw, Cliff Stout and Mark Malone on the roster. They needed a pass rusher and Gabe Rivera was looking good before his accident.
3. Trubisky wasn't awful but he wasn't good either. He was tentative and missing wide open receivers and was not taking advantage of his mobility which was the whole purpose of signing him. Say what you want about Ben last season but he managed to pull games out when we needed them. Trubisky was just not capable of doing that.
4. Obviously Pickett is the fan favorite but Trubisky was given the starting job and it was up to him to keep it. He lost the job fair and square.

Your criticism on Pickett may be valid but it is pretty much true of all rookie QBs. We'll see how quickly he matures now that he will be taking first team snaps.

2 positives I saw on that final drive:

Int's aside, he can hit his target in a pressure situation while Trubisky crumbled. That throw to Pickens to set up the hail mary was on point. Mitch would've sailed that one.

Hail Mary was accurate and where it needed to be. It was another int, but the WRs at least had a chance.

Seems like something to build on.

2 of this kid's picks were flat out attributable to his OWN WIDE OUTS .
He really didn't look bad at all.
The ones that think he looked "bad" didn't actually watch the game unfold.

I'm certainly not writing him in as the next Brady, but a LOT of this simply shouldn't be blamed on him, just because there were some picks.

He's liable to have growing pains for sure, adjusting to the NFL...........but he looks more than capable to me, at least at this point.

I own him precisely nowhere, and I don't play dynasty, but if I did I think some potential is there.

:bowtie:
First game action of his career so way too early to make any definitive calls but this is way off. Trubisky's INT was flat out attributable to his own WR, those two from Pickett were flat out bad passes and/or decisions.

Not a Steelers or Pitt fan but this was one of the main criticisms of Hurts last year. He's much improved in year 2 as a starter.

I'm certainly not writing him in as the next Brady, but a LOT of this simply shouldn't be blamed on him, just because there were some picks.

He's liable to have growing pains for sure, adjusting to the NFL...........but he looks more than capable to me, at least at this point.

I own him precisely nowhere, and I don't play dynasty, but if I did I think some potential is there.

First game action of his career so way too early to make any definitive calls but this is way off. Trubisky's INT was flat out attributable to his own WR, those two from Pickett were flat out bad passes and/or decisions.
Trubisky's int was tipped by a defender before it got to Johnson (at least according to Johnson), so no, it's not the WR's fault. Pickett's passes were obviously bad: you can't expect a guy to catch a pass that hits him in both hands.

Trubisky's int was tipped by a defender before it got to Johnson (at least according to Johnson), so no, it's not the WR's fault. Pickett's passes were obviously bad: you can't expect a guy to catch a pass that hits him in both hands.
:lmao:

Diantae "butterfingers" Johnson claims it was tipped, and while it's possible, it still went right through his hands and almost hit him in the facemask. That one was far more the fault of the WR than any of Pickett's. The first was essentially a jump ball that he underthrew into double coverage. Yes, it could have been caught, but it wasn't a good pass. The 2nd he threw a long pass to the sidelines after backpedaling which was high, best case scenario it would have been a 1 yd. gain on 2nd and 15 right on the edge of FG range, it was a very poor decision (and the announcer said as much). For crying out loud he admitted that he was trying to throw the ball away (higher), and that's somehow Muth's fault that he got his fingertips on it? The hail mary, which I didn't blame him for, was a little too deep. He certainly shares blame (at a minimum) in his picks, they weren't "flat out attributable to his own wide outs".

There's plenty to be excited about, but let's not pretend that he doesn't deserve any of the blame.

Diantae "butterfingers" Johnson claims it was tipped, and while it's possible, it still went right through his hands and almost hit him in the facemask. That one was far more the fault of the WR than any of Pickett's. The first was essentially a jump ball that he underthrew into double coverage. Yes, it could have been caught, but it wasn't a good pass. The 2nd he threw a long pass to the sidelines after backpedaling which was high, best case scenario it would have been a 1 yd. gain on 2nd and 15 right on the edge of FG range, it was a very poor decision (and the announcer said as much). For crying out loud he admitted that he was trying to throw the ball away (higher), and that's somehow Muth's fault that he got his fingertips on it? The hail mary, which I didn't blame him for, was a little too deep. He certainly shares blame (at a minimum) in his picks, they weren't "flat out attributable to his own wide outs".

There's plenty to be excited about, but let's not pretend that he doesn't deserve any of the blame.

It was his first quarter of playing NFL football, without taking any 1st team snaps in practice and playing from behind but you are right: he deserves blame for failing to to bail out Trubisky.

Not a Steelers or Pitt fan but this was one of the main criticisms of Hurts last year. He's much improved in year 2 as a starter.
That's going to be a growing pain for almost any young QB. It takes a year or two for the game to slow down, them to really get the system (which is why young QB's that get 4 different coaches their first 4 years are frequently doomed). Usually by Year 3 you'll have a good idea of what they're going to be in the NFL (which is why no one should be shocked at Trubisky).

It was his first quarter of playing NFL football, without taking any 1st team snaps in practice and playing from behind but you are right: he deserves blame for failing to to bail out Trubisky.
Rabid fanboys crack me up. It's literally the first thing I wrote- "First game action of his career so way too early to make any definitive calls". I just completely disagree that his INT's were "flat out attributable to his own wide outs". For the record so does he, but no skin off my nose, you guys do you.

Rabid fanboys crack me up. It's literally the first thing I wrote- "First game action of his career so way too early to make any definitive calls". I just completely disagree that his INT's were "flat out attributable to his own wide outs". For the record so does he, but no skin off my nose, you guys do you.
I guess Claypool is one of us rabid fanboys, because he walked off the field saying "that's on me, I should have caught it".

I admit to being a Steelers fanboy but not so much Pickett and in fact was against the pick if you care to look back in this thread. It just seemed to me that you were pretty harsh on Pickett while going very easy on Trubisky.

I have nothing against Trubisky and was rooting for him to do well but the bottom line is that had he been effective then Pickett would still be a backup.

I guess Claypool is one of us rabid fanboys, because he walked off the field saying "that's on me, I should have caught it".
It can be both- it was a bad pass that could have been caught so shared blame. I guess you want to ignore the press conference where Pickett took full responsibility for the turnovers.

Are you related to him or something? It's okay to admit he made a few mistakes in his first ever NFL action. It would be far more unusual if he didn't. :lol:

I admit to being a Steelers fanboy but not so much Pickett and in fact was against the pick if you care to look back in this thread. It just seemed to me that you were pretty harsh on Pickett while going very easy on Trubisky.

I have nothing against Trubisky and was rooting for him to do well but the bottom line is that had he been effective then Pickett would still be a backup.
I think you need to re-read my posts. All I did initially is disagree with one poster who said that 2 of his picks were flat out attributable to his own wide outs. The only reason I brought up the Trubisky one is because I thought maybe he mis-remembered since his INT seemed much more attributable to his WR, it was a good pass that went right through his hands.

Trubisky stinks, it was smart to make the switch, and overall it was a decent audition for him. Like I said, plenty to be excited about, but he certainly wasn't flawless, nor should he be expected to be.

It can be both- it was a bad pass that could have been caught so shared blame. I guess you want to ignore the press conference where Pickett took full responsibility for the turnovers.

Are you related to him or something? It's okay to admit he made a few mistakes in his first ever NFL action. It would be far more unusual if he didn't. :lol:
When was the last time a QB (let alone a rookie QB playing his first game) walked into a press conference and said "If m WRs could catch the ball, those passes wouldn't have been intercepted"? Of course, he's going to take the blame and say he needs to do better. Was Pickett perfect? No, of course not. Was he better than Trubisky? Only by 75% or so.

I just find it hilarious that the guy who claims Trubisky's pick was the WR's fault still claims that the ball a WR says he should have caught was the QB's fault. Are you dating Trubisky or something?

When was the last time a QB (let alone a rookie QB playing his first game) walked into a press conference and said "If m WRs could catch the ball, those passes wouldn't have been intercepted"? Of course, he's going to take the blame and say he needs to do better. Was Pickett perfect? No, of course not. Was he better than Trubisky? Only by 75% or so.

I just find it hilarious that the guy who claims Trubisky's pick was the WR's fault still claims that the ball a WR says he should have caught was the QB's fault. Are you dating Trubisky or something?
If you would stop foaming at the mouth for a minute, take a breath and actually read what I wrote, maybe it would help. I already explained why I even mentioned Trubisky, while also saying that he stinks and it was smart to make the switch. Stop with the strawman comparing the two QBs, this is simply a discussion on whether Pickett deserves at least some blame for his INTs, or were they "flat out attributable to his own WRs"?

If you watched his press conference (guessing you didn't), you see where he clearly said that he was trying to throw the ball away on the one to Muth but didn't get it high enough. But because he jumped up and got his finger tips on it, you want to blame him and say he should have caught it? Again, you do you.

Sometimes I think some here just want to argue for the sake of argument.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UvLikkaBwzw

The 1st pick, which is roughly at 15 seconds in..........Claypool looks like he had both hands on this ball. Now, admittedly it looks like a defender might have hit Claypool's hands or the ball from behind (can't see at this angle), but it looks as though Claypool had both hands on the ball.
Was it a great pass, LOL of course not. We can definitely say this ball was picked.....? Yes. But his own wide out looks to have had both hands on the ball. These guys are professionals, they get paid millions of dollars to catch the ball, at a high level. Get both (offensive wide outs) hands on the ball and the INTs shouldn't generally* be happening. Period, end of story. Sure it could have been a better pass, but thats irrelevant.

The second pick, is at roughly 3:56. Not the best ball placement (pass), however, get ready for this. FREIERMUTH HAD BOTH HANDS ON THE BALL ALSO.
The throw was high, and Freiermuth was obviously extended straight up in an effort to catch it.

So here we have 2 INTs, and seemingly a few here want to put the blame straight on Pickett. :lol:

I really don't think there's any need to discuss the Hail Mary pick, as they are mostly a "chuck it up and hope for the best" scenario.

The 1st pick, which is roughly at 15 seconds in..........Claypool looks like he had both hands on this ball. Now, admittedly it looks like a defender might have hit Claypool's hands or the ball from behind (can't see at this angle), but it looks as though Claypool had both hands on the ball.
Was it a great pass, LOL of course not. We can definitely say this ball was picked.....? Yes. But his own wide out looks to have had both hands on the ball. These guys are professionals, they get paid millions of dollars to catch the ball, at a high level. Get both (offensive wide outs) hands on the ball and the INTs shouldn't generally* be happening. Period, end of story. Sure it could have been a better pass, but thats irrelevant.

The second pick, is at roughly 3:56. Not the best ball placement (pass), however, get ready for this. FREIERMUTH HAD BOTH HANDS ON THE BALL ALSO.
The throw was high, and Freiermuth was obviously extended straight up in an effort to catch it.

So here we have 2 INTs, and seemingly a few here want to put the blame straight on Pickett. :lol:

I really don't think there's any need to discuss the Hail Mary pick, as they are mostly a "chuck it up and hope for the best" scenario.
Already saw the plays multiple times, which is why I made my posts. Pickett is also a professional who gets paid millions of dollars to throw the ball, and those weren't good throws, as you admit. Hence, those INTs weren't "flat out attributable to his OWN WIDE OUTS" as you stated.

Not a single person has even hinted that the blame should be put straight on Pickett so you can drop the bs strawman. YOU are the one who put it straight on the WIDE OUTS, and if you think the 2nd one in particular was completely on Muth (a TE, by the way) because he got a couple of finger tips on a poorly thrown pass, well we'll just agree to disagree. If you think Pickett does deserve at least some blame for it, then we agree (as does Pickett himself). If you would have just said that in the first place I never would have replied.

PFF grades: Kenny Pickett's numbers show promise despite mistakes, small sample size

Excerpt:

Kenny Pickett (71.6 passing grade) and Mitch Trubisky (62.8 passing grade) — It’s hard to judge the rookie quarterback against his veteran counterpart analytically, given the small sample size we’re working with. He played one half against the New York Jets in his NFL debut on Sunday, so it’s not much. That said, he did post the Steelers quarterbacks’ second-best passing grade of the season, trailing only Trubisky’s strong grade against Cleveland in Week 3. This despite three interceptions, including one on the penultimate Steelers drive that led to the Jets’ go-ahead touchdown. PFF, at least, does not fault him for the mistakes, grading none of his passes Sunday as turnover-worthy. Rather, the scouts seem to like that he averaged 9.2 yards per attempt — a big upgrade on Trubisky’s 5.6 — and looked for receivers further downfield. His average depth of target Sunday was 13.2 yards while Trubisky sits at 10.1 for the season. Again, it’s early. But should those trends continue, there will be a lot to like about what the rookie brings to this struggling unit.

Already saw the plays multiple times, which is why I made my posts. Pickett is also a professional who gets paid millions of dollars to throw the ball, and those weren't good throws, as you admit. Hence, those INTs weren't "flat out attributable to his OWN WIDE OUTS" as you stated.

Not a single person has even hinted that the blame should be put straight on Pickett so you can drop the bs strawman. YOU are the one who put it straight on the WIDE OUTS, and if you think the 2nd one in particular was completely on Muth (a TE, by the way) because he got a couple of finger tips on a poorly thrown pass, well we'll just agree to disagree. If you think Pickett does deserve at least some blame for it, then we agree (as does Pickett himself). If you would have just said that in the first place I never would have replied.
Apparently you just want to ***** and argue rather than say anything constructive. (lol @ BS strawman) I can spend my time here discussing other things fruitfully.
You are now blocked.

Every QB decision I've made this season has been terrible, but I don't care, rolling with Pickett tomorrow.

The other options are pretty much all young QB's with bad matchups on the road. Zach Wilson, Lawrence. Danny DImes (some may not agree with that one, but it's just hard for me to imagine it going very well on the road in BAL).

So, I'm going with the young QB with a bad matchup that's at least playing at home. The kid looks pretty good so far, and he's certainly going to need to throw.

And maybe, just maybe, in the year of Geno, he'll be inspired to follow in 2013 Geno's footsteps and shock the world.

Every QB decision I've made this season has been terrible, but I don't care, rolling with Pickett tomorrow.

The other options are pretty much all young QB's with bad matchups on the road. Zach Wilson, Lawrence. Danny DImes (some may not agree with that one, but it's just hard for me to imagine it going very well on the road in BAL).

So, I'm going with the young QB with a bad matchup that's at least playing at home. The kid looks pretty good so far, and he's certainly going to need to throw.

And maybe, just maybe, in the year of Geno, he'll be inspired to follow in 2013 Geno's footsteps and shock the world.
The Steelers are going into this game with half of their defensive starters out of the game. The Bucs are going to score so Pickett is going to have to throw a ton and will include some scrambles.

If he doesn’t turn the ball over he could have a pretty decent fantasy game

Last edited:
I just picked him up for next week during Allen's bye week. I figured Miami will also be a high scoring game, but without a defense as good as Tampa's. Watching today expecting next week he'll do about 25% better than today.

I hope he ends up working out for Pittsburgh. You guys had it made at QB for a long while, it's sucked watching y'all struggle. I say this as a Washington fan who is way too familiar with this particular struggle.

Steelers head coach Mike Tomlin said Kenny Pickett will start in Week 7 if he clears the league's concussion protocol.​

Pickett will be a full participant in practice this week, per Tomlin. It's just a matter of clearing the concussion protocol before Pittsburgh's Monday night game against Miami. Before exiting Week 6 with a head injury, Pickett completed 11-of-18 passes for 67 yards and a touchdown, rushing twice for 16 yards. Pickett would have great streaming appeal against the Dolphins in what could be a shootout between two beatable defenses. Mitch Trubisky, who played well in Week 6, would draw the start if Pickett can't clear the protocol.
RELATED:
SOURCE: Gerry Dulac on Twitter
Oct 18, 2022, 12:09 PM ET

Kenny Pickett completed 32-of-44 passes for 257 yards, one touchdown, and three interceptions in the Steelers' 16-10, Week 7 loss to the Dolphins, adding 20 yards on three carries.​

The final pick of the evening came on the last possession of the game as the Steelers marched the field in the two-minute drill. Down six, Pickett tossed a badly under-thrown and wobbly ball to the front corner of the end zone, which Noah Igbinoghene picked off via an acrobatic, toe-tapping grab to ice the game. It wasn't all bad for the rookie signal caller, who made multiple nice throws to his supporting cast throughout the game. His two favorite targets continued to be tight end Pat Freiermuth and rookie wide receiver George Pickens, the latter of whom was the recipient of Pickett's lone touchdown pass of the game. The processing and decision-making will need to improve quickly as the Steelers prepare for a trip to Philadelphia to take on the league's last remaining undefeated team in Week 8.
Oct 24, 2022, 12:10 AM ET

Kenny Pickett completed 18-of-30 attempts for 199 yards in the Steelers' 20-10 Week 10 win against the Saints, adding eight rushes for 51 yards and a touchdown.​

It was a classic "mid-off" between Pickett and Andy Dalton, both of whom were terrible throughout. Pickett absorbed six sacks against one of the NFL's most toothless pass rushes because he stood like a statue in the pocket instead of scrambling or throwing the ball away. He saved his fantasy day with his rushing production. Pickett struggled with an ankle injury in the second half, his limp curiously becoming more pronounced after poor throws to Steelers pass catchers. Pickett said after the game he hurt the ankle that he had surgically repaired in college. That he didn't leave the game probably means Pickett will be back under center in Week 11 against the Bengals. He's strictly a superflex option.
Nov 13, 2022, 4:52 PM ET

2022 NFL season, Week 12: What We Learned from Steelers' win over Colts on Monday

Excerpt:

1. Kenny Pickett is starting to figure it out. The rookie isn't lighting up the stat sheet, nor is he compiling a highlight reel for the ages, but with each week, Pickett is taking positive steps toward becoming a quality NFL quarterback. He completed 20 of 28 passes for 174 yards and a passer rating of 87.5, but it wasn't about the numbers Monday night. Pickett looked composed, decisive and made the plays necessary to keep scoring drives going. What was most impressive was how Pickett navigated the pocket, escaped when necessary, and consistently found targets downfield for important completions. It's not as if he's playing behind a steel wall -- Yannick Ngakoue had a short outburst of sacks that exposed Pittsburgh's inconsistencies up front -- but Pickett's mobility and athleticism are precisely what a young quarterback needs to overcome a lack of reliable protection. Again, his numbers aren't gaudy and won't win any awards, but those who watched the game Monday night will likely agree: Pickett went out and won the game (with the help of a number of teammates).

Game manager, pretty much what he is.

All they want is him to not suck so they have a chance to win. He is not winning anything

I think he looked good last night...making progress and showed some decent athleticism...will allow the Steelers to concentrate on other positions this offseason.

On another note, the evaluation of rookie/young QBs seems to be getting very aggressive by some and immediate expectations seem to be getting a little out-of-hand.

Kenny Pickett completed 16-of-28 passes for 197 yards and a touchdown in the Steelers' Week 13 win over Atlanta.​

The touchdown was the second for Pickett in the last four games. Pickett could have had another score, but Diontae Johnson dropped a TD in the end-zone. Through eight starts, Pickett has still yet to have a multi-TD game and he's been held under 200 yards in four of the last five weeks. The Steelers (5-7) will look to keep their playoff hopes alive for a division matchup with the Ravens in Week 14.
Dec 4, 2022, 4:03 PM ET

Kenny Pickett has entered the NFL's concussion protocol.​

Pickett has suffered two brain injuries in the past eight weeks. Against the Ravens in Week 14, Pickett was slammed to the ground and appeared woozy coming off the field. He did not return. Mitch Trubisky stepped in and threw for 276 yards, a touchdown, and three ugly picks. Trubisky would get the nod this week against the Panthers if Pickett can't clear the league's protocol by Saturday.
SOURCE: Gerry Dulac on Twitter
Dec 13, 2022, 12:12 PM ET

If Kenny can't go, it will be interesting who starts.. Word is Trubisky, but way Tomlin has talked they would like to see Mason also.

Users who are viewing this thread