What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

QB Kenny Pickett, PHI (1 Viewer)

Kenny Pickett (concussion) was limited in Thursday's practice.​

The Steelers are preparing both Mason Rudolph and Mitch Trubisky to play in Week 15, which is probably a sign that they aren't seeing much improvement from Pickett so far. Never say never, but Pickett needs an optimistic report to get some positive momentum on the Friday injury report. He has not cleared protocol yet and should not be counted on to start in Week 15.
Dec 15, 2022, 2:47 PM ET

Steelers QB Kenny Pickett (concussion) will not play in Week 15 vs the Panthers.​

This was expected after Pickett was listed doubtful on the injury report. Mitch Trubisky will start in place of Pickett but will be on a short leash after splitting practice reps with Mason Rudolph this week. Pickett, who has two concussions this season, isn't a lock to return in Week 16.
SOURCE: steelers.com
Dec 17, 2022, 1:04 PM ET

Steelers head coach Mike Tomlin said QB Kenny Pickett (concussion) will start in Week 16.​

Pickett, who has suffered two brain injuries this season, sat out Week 15 after being diagnosed with a concussion the week before. His return is a positive development for Pat Freiermuth, who was not targeted by Mitch Trubisky in Week 15 but was targeted heavily by Pickett in recent weeks. Pickett profiles as a 12-team streaming option against a very beatable Raiders secondary.
RELATED:
SOURCE: Brooke Pryor on Twitter
Dec 20, 2022, 12:11 PM ET

Yes Kenny got off to a rough start but his progress was undeniable. He'll never be a DeShone Kizer but then not many are.

Steelers Depot View attachment 3397
@Steelersdepot
Kenny Pickett’s 6.2 yards per attempt and seven touchdowns on the 2022 season were good for just 33rd in the NFL in both categories. #Steelers #NFL
----------------------
Steelers Hot Takes
@hot_steelers
7 TD passes in almost 500 drop backs is the worst the NFL has seen in 10 years. Literally Kenny is 320th out of 320 QB seasons.
Pretty bad but I’m curious to see how those numbers will change with a new offensive coordinator. Oh wait.

Yes Kenny got off to a rough start but his progress was undeniable. He'll never be a DeShone Kizer but then not many are.
Kizer was drafted in 2017. The year the Browns went O-fer.
In his one and only season with the Browns as a rookie starting without any competition from the first game, he was throwing to such stalwarts as TE Seth DeValve 2nd in receptions that season with 33 for 395 yards, TE David Njoku was a rookie who finished 3rd with 32 for 386 yards, 4th that year was the Browns top WR in receptions year Ricardo Lewis with 27 receptions for 357 yards.
The player who finished at the top for the Browns in receptions that year was RB Duke Johnson with 74 for 693 yards.
Yet...
Kizer threw for more TDs than Pickett did his rookie season on less attempts, 476.
I don't know how Pickett will turn out, but he doesn't have Hue Jackson as his head coach and his receivers are much better and he's got a defense giving him field position and a chance.
If Pickett was a rookie shoved into the starting lineup from game-one as Kizer he'd be a footnote so don't go patting yerself on the butt about how great Pickett is compared to Kizer because you're comparing apples to kumquats. Nothing is comparable.

@Steelersdepot
Kenny Pickett’s 6.2 yards per attempt and seven touchdowns on the 2022 season were good for just 33rd in the NFL in both categories. #Steelers #NFL
----------------------
Steelers Hot Takes
@hot_steelers
7 TD passes in almost 500 drop backs is the worst the NFL has seen in 10 years. Literally Kenny is 320th out of 320 QB seasons.

He is such a mediocre player with a completely mediocre arm and average accuracy. Not exactly the best recipe for a starting QB for a team that likes to win. Plus he got like 2 concussions already this year I think, maybe 1, I forget. Either way, I don't see Pickett improving that much, he is just limited physically in terms of arm strength and accuracy. All though, he is a better rusher than I thought he'd be, he actually did well on the ground. But once teams start disrespecting his arm, I think they're going to make it way more difficult for him to run the ball.

There is absolutely no reason Pickett should have gone ahead of Ridder and Howell, and probably Willis too. That whole draft was bonkers. Howell to me is still clearly the best QB of that class and should have been a 1st rounder like he was supposed to be for the 2 years leading up to the draft. And Ridder's just got better tools and better decision making. I'm actually kind of at a loss, it really looks like Steelers took Pickett just because he played at Pitt and was a hometown hero so to speak. Worst reasons to select a player in the 1st round though lol.

But it wasn't just Pittsburgh. I think every other team passed on Ridder, and Willis and even more on Howell going in the 5th. And in reality, I prefer Howell at least and maybe Ridder, to Richardson, McKee, Hooker. And I prefer Howell to Levis even. Maybe not Ridder, but I don't think Ridder and Levis are that far apart, all though Ridder is a better runner probably. And really, I don't have a ton of faith in Bryce Young, just get Baker Mayfield/Manziel vibes, I have more faith in Howell becoming a legit starting Qb.

But Pickett to me was like a 2nd-3rd round talent at best. At least relative to where Ridder, Willis and Howell should have been taken. I actually traded Pickett away for a late 1st in a dynasty when he started to play a little better. Feel like he's such a hot potato and there's going to come a point where he MAYBE secures himself as a very safe low level QB2/3. Beginning of the season, when they were letting him throw more, he threw a ton of interceptions. 2nd half of the season though, he did a good job limiting interceptions, but they also limited his throwing opportunity. Basically just asking to hold the ball and maybe throw it like a couple dozen times. And if Friermouth wasn't there, I think things would have been SO much worse for him. Pickens is never going to achieve his potential with that kind of noodle arm behind center. But it's good for TE's at least. Well, often, throwing to TE is like their only safe option, because they stay short and are big targets lol.

I'm pretty sure in 2-3 seasons, if Pickett is still around, Steeler fans are going to be calling for a new QB, without a spaghetti arm. Hell, maybe they can get Zack Wilson from the Jets. Yea he was terrible, but the Jets ruin QBs. At least Wilson has like, high level ability. Pickett reminds me more of like Chad Pennington or Matt Cassel..... to me, spending a 1st round pick on a QB with that kind of limited upside is the biggest waste of a 1st round pick. Better off taking the gamble on a Willis or Howell who, if they do work out, at least would have all the tools.

Kizer was drafted in 2017. The year the Browns went O-fer.
In his one and only season with the Browns as a rookie starting without any competition from the first game, he was throwing to such stalwarts as TE Seth DeValve 2nd in receptions that season with 33 for 395 yards, TE David Njoku was a rookie who finished 3rd with 32 for 386 yards, 4th that year was the Browns top WR in receptions year Ricardo Lewis with 27 receptions for 357 yards.
The player who finished at the top for the Browns in receptions that year was RB Duke Johnson with 74 for 693 yards.
Yet...
Kizer threw for more TDs than Pickett did his rookie season on less attempts, 476.
I don't know how Pickett will turn out, but he doesn't have Hue Jackson as his head coach and his receivers are much better and he's got a defense giving him field position and a chance.
If Pickett was a rookie shoved into the starting lineup from game-one as Kizer he'd be a footnote so don't go patting yerself on the butt about how great Pickett is compared to Kizer because you're comparing apples to kumquats. Nothing is comparable.
It was a joke. Apparently not funny, but a joke nonetheless

If the league was redrafting today who could go higher, the first QB chosen in the draft or the last player chosen in the draft?
It depends on whether or not teams are able to see the enormous difference in talent surrounding both QBs. If Pickett were playing on San Fran, would they even miss a beat? I feel like he's a decent enough game manager and would be savvy enough to let his playmakers do their thing. With that said, Purdy has been damn impressive.

If the league was redrafting today who could go higher, the first QB chosen in the draft or the last player chosen in the draft?
It depends on whether or not teams are able to see the enormous difference in talent surrounding both QBs. If Pickett were playing on San Fran, would they even miss a beat? I feel like he's a decent enough game manager and would be savvy enough to let his playmakers do their thing. With that said, Purdy has been damn impressive.
100% agree with this. Pickett was really solid down the stretch, and that was with a pretty young middling offense. Its likely they keep getting better with more experience.

The Pickett/Purdy argument is interesting, SF would absolutely be fine if Pickett was the QB there, but I don't know that they'd be better. I do think both Pickett/Purdy look like good starters going forward to me.

@Steelersdepot
----------------------
Steelers Hot Takes
@hot_steelers

He is such a mediocre player with a completely mediocre arm and average accuracy. Not exactly the best recipe for a starting QB for a team that likes to win. Plus he got like 2 concussions already this year I think, maybe 1, I forget. Either way, I don't see Pickett improving that much, he is just limited physically in terms of arm strength and accuracy. All though, he is a better rusher than I thought he'd be, he actually did well on the ground. But once teams start disrespecting his arm, I think they're going to make it way more difficult for him to run the ball.

There is absolutely no reason Pickett should have gone ahead of Ridder and Howell, and probably Willis too. That whole draft was bonkers. Howell to me is still clearly the best QB of that class and should have been a 1st rounder like he was supposed to be for the 2 years leading up to the draft. And Ridder's just got better tools and better decision making. I'm actually kind of at a loss, it really looks like Steelers took Pickett just because he played at Pitt and was a hometown hero so to speak. Worst reasons to select a player in the 1st round though lol.

But it wasn't just Pittsburgh. I think every other team passed on Ridder, and Willis and even more on Howell going in the 5th. And in reality, I prefer Howell at least and maybe Ridder, to Richardson, McKee, Hooker. And I prefer Howell to Levis even. Maybe not Ridder, but I don't think Ridder and Levis are that far apart, all though Ridder is a better runner probably. And really, I don't have a ton of faith in Bryce Young, just get Baker Mayfield/Manziel vibes, I have more faith in Howell becoming a legit starting Qb.

But Pickett to me was like a 2nd-3rd round talent at best. At least relative to where Ridder, Willis and Howell should have been taken. I actually traded Pickett away for a late 1st in a dynasty when he started to play a little better. Feel like he's such a hot potato and there's going to come a point where he MAYBE secures himself as a very safe low level QB2/3. Beginning of the season, when they were letting him throw more, he threw a ton of interceptions. 2nd half of the season though, he did a good job limiting interceptions, but they also limited his throwing opportunity. Basically just asking to hold the ball and maybe throw it like a couple dozen times. And if Friermouth wasn't there, I think things would have been SO much worse for him. Pickens is never going to achieve his potential with that kind of noodle arm behind center. But it's good for TE's at least. Well, often, throwing to TE is like their only safe option, because they stay short and are big targets lol.

I'm pretty sure in 2-3 seasons, if Pickett is still around, Steeler fans are going to be calling for a new QB, without a spaghetti arm. Hell, maybe they can get Zack Wilson from the Jets. Yea he was terrible, but the Jets ruin QBs. At least Wilson has like, high level ability. Pickett reminds me more of like Chad Pennington or Matt Cassel..... to me, spending a 1st round pick on a QB with that kind of limited upside is the biggest waste of a 1st round pick. Better off taking the gamble on a Willis or Howell who, if they do work out, at least would have all the tools.
Not sure what Howell has done to deserve so much love. Then you say Zach Wilson has HIGH level ability??? He got benched behind Mike White AND Joe freakin Flacco. Is your whole post just schtick?

@Steelersdepot
----------------------
Steelers Hot Takes
@hot_steelers

Not sure what Howell has done to deserve so much love. Then you say Zach Wilson has HIGH level ability??? He got benched behind Mike White AND Joe freakin Flacco. Is your whole post just schtick?

Well, I THINK Howell will be very successful based on his ability and traits, and all be it minimal performance, in preseason and then week 18, and of course what he did in college. And he has the high end physical skills and tools, that if he were to put it together, he could genuinely be a QB 1 in fantasy. Pickett, even if he puts it all together, will likely never be a QB1 in fantasy. And Howell, in his short stint, he has shown that he does indeed have all the top end physical tools to be a QB1 in the NFL and fantasy. Whether he is consistent and can manage games long term, is another question. But in terms of fantasy, generally the type of young QB worth investing in. Especially when they could be gotten for beans basically.

And yes, Zach Wilson is supremely talented, he has abilities few other QB prospects have, the comparisons to Mahomes were not based on nothing, but that doesn't mean he has it together or can put it together, mentally at least or within the scheme and framework that the Jets have provided him with. Jets seem to have a habit of ruining talented QB's lately, or allowing them to ruin themselves, I am not sure which. But that can't take away anything from Wilson's quite impressive physical abilities and vision normally, but not necessarily decision making or fit within a the scheme. Obviously, there are areas that Wilson needs work. From a fantasy perspective, I'd be more inclined taking a risk on a player like that. Similar to how many are high on Anthony Richardson because of his tools. All though, Richardson has a long way to go and has never shown the capacity to put it completely together or make good decisions in college, so I am more suspect that he can in the NFL.

Pickett on the other hand, clearly has the mental aspect of the game down. But unfortunately, his tools are a bit lacking, which limits his upside. He will have to be that classic "game manager", which in fantasy can be useful but isn't usually the variety of QB most owners will covet. And the type that usually do not turn into fantasy QB1s. Plus, if the team isn't winning, a game manager lacking in physical tools generally won't last long, or they will eventually get replaced when opportunity to add a higher ceiling QB arises. It's not that I have anything against Pickett. But in terms of fantasy, he's not the type of QB I'd depend on more than as a backup, QB2/3. And lacking in arm strength and ability to get the ball to WR's in tight spaces, is unfortunately, one of the worst negatives a QB can have, in fantasy or the NFL. And that deficiency must be overcome in other ways. As I don't think Pickett will get stronger in arm strength or precision. While those traits can be developed a bit, they are more usually there or not there. Or let's say, he can only likely improve so much in those areas, still having subpar arm strength when all is said and done. And the more he throws those wobbly balls, the more interceptions are likely and the less completions are likely. Which is why he looked much better the less the team threw the ball.

Some can make that work, at least for a time, like say Matt Cassel. Others, like Chad Pennington, just don't offer enough elsewhere to be worth the bother. In Pickett's case, he at least has the mental attributes to stay on the field for lack of a better option. Or someone like Drew Brees, who didn't have the strongest arm, but who's timing and precision were terrific. I am not sure Pickett has that high level timing or can develop such precision. And I do think his arm, at the end of the day, is worse than Brees' also. More in line with Pennington honestly.

From an NFL perspective it's a bit different of course, a game manager can still win games if the team around him does the rest of the work and he manages the game well, can even win a Superbowl. But the QB himself in those situations usually can't be depended on to make big plays or rely on their arm. Which for a QB, is usually pretty important, and much more so in fantasy.
But his concussions aren't a sign of optimism either. And generally, with limited potential, teams will be less willing to stick with a QB than they would with a QB with a high ceiling.

Last edited:
Has the moxy and it factor

Unfortunately, no arm to speak of. A lot of wobbly balls. Didn't Manziel have moxy and it factor? Baker Mayfield? Both had a better arm I think. What Pickett does have ahead of those two, is better decision making and vision. For sure. In the right situation, I think he can be that "game manager", Matt Cassel type. Just not expecting him to win any games with his arm, or make any Favre like comebacks shooting bombs down the field. Or frankly, even fitting balls into tight spaces. They'll have to limit his throwing, and keep it to mostly short yardage passing, as they started to 2nd half of the season, when he looked much better. He's lucky to have Friermuth around. TE might be the most important receiver for the way he's going to have to play. And he'll need RB's that can catch the ball also and probably a dependable slot guy. Taller, alpha type receivers too, who can go up and get the ball. I am sure they will be ok crafting a scheme around him, if they don't push him to do much beyond his ability. That'll probably be key to his success or failure.

Last edited:
Others, like Chad Pennington, just don't offer enough elsewhere to be worth the bother.

Pennington didn't have a whole lot of arm strength but was passable until he injured his throwing shoulder twice. Then the whole thing went down the drain for him. They couldn't get him back up to snuff.

I wouldn't fall in love with arm strength as a barometer of NFL success -- there are guys that have enough arm strength and no chance of being successful in the NFL -- but your point is noted. Guys without enough arm strength get schemed out of the NFL or into backup roles (hello, Gardner Minshew) all the time. I've watched a bunch of guys fail over the past ten years because the defense shrunk the field and made them throw deep and outside the numbers.

Now, that said, I don't have a valuable insight into Pickett's arm strength other than it looked better than Pennington's even when Pennington was okay. So there will be throws Pickett might not be able to make, but he's probably not disqualified from becoming a system QB or game manager, as you point out. But I think you're looking for fantasy QB1s. I'm just looking for a QB for the NFL, and there are worse things than being a game manager or system QB.

Also, your Zach Wilson take is interesting, but being a Jets fan, I don't see how he rekindles his career anywhere but away from NY. The hounds were out for him, and he was worse than Daniel Jones was. That's a little too much to bear for such a young guy from a background and with a personality that doesn't scream he's able to handle adversity. You're going to have to wait a few years on Wilson unless somebody pays a pretty penny in terms of draft capital, another unlikely event. In other words, I think you're sort of off in your assessment of who to hold out hope for and who to ditch, even for fantasy. Wilson was having tons of trouble completing the easiest of passes this year, and that wasn't the system or the Jets. It was him, the yips, and his teammates, who had seen enough.

Steelers Depot
@Steelersdepot
ESPN's Mike Clay thinks Kenny Pickett will have a breakout season this year. “Kenny Pickett will be a fantasy sweetheart in 2023. … He is primed for a big leap." #Steelers #NFL
I am a Steelers fan. I would love that to be true, but I can't even see a path for this. I really don't think he is very good and Canada's offense is terrible. Most rookies progress a lot in their 2nd year, but he was so far away from being fantasy relevant.

Steelers Depot
@Steelersdepot
ESPN's Mike Clay thinks Kenny Pickett will have a breakout season this year. “Kenny Pickett will be a fantasy sweetheart in 2023. … He is primed for a big leap." #Steelers #NFL
I am a Steelers fan. I would love that to be true, but I can't even see a path for this. I really don't think he is very good and Canada's offense is terrible. Most rookies progress a lot in their 2nd year, but he was so far away from being fantasy relevant.
I am a Steelers fan and was anti-drafting Pickett. But we did see some progress from him and the O towards the end of the season. Maybe the continuity, improvements on the line, a fully healthy Najee and WRs corps, along with Pickens in Y2 will make a difference for Pickett and the redzone O.

Regardless of what anyone feels about Pickett as a player, Matt Canada's offense is categorically terrible. Zero innovation coupled with blind "run, run pass" stubborness.

Unless Kenny goes rouge and starts calling his own plays, I just can't envision that horizontal, Straw Hat offense making anyone a "fantasy sweetheart."

Steelers Depot
@Steelersdepot
I am a Steelers fan and was anti-drafting Pickett. But we did see some progress from him and the O towards the end of the season. Maybe the continuity, improvements on the line, a fully healthy Najee and WRs corps, along with Pickens in Y2 will make a difference for Pickett and the redzone O.
I am not really sure we did. I do think Harris ran a bit better, but mostly the team couldn't score and then had a couple of late scores in the 2 minute offense.

Steelers Depot
@Steelersdepot
I am not really sure we did. I do think Harris ran a bit better, but mostly the team couldn't score and then had a couple of late scores in the 2 minute offense.

I thought he looked better out there. We have to hope that Canada will call better plays that use the team strengths . . . .

Was Canada always this bland or did he water down the concepts in order to cater to a rookie QB? Serious question, I don't know Canada's history.

FTR, I like what I saw from Pickett last year and thought he did look better as the season wore on.

Was Canada always this bland or did he water down the concepts in order to cater to a rookie QB? Serious question, I don't know Canada's history.

FTR, I like what I saw from Pickett last year and thought he did look better as the season wore on.
He was brought in because he was supposedly innovative and used a lot of formations and motion to create mismatches. But he hasn’t really shown that

Lots of positive Kenny P press this offseason, He bulked up some too and will be using a new helmet. With a better o-line, and hopefully better play-calling, perhaps he/we sneak up on folks.

CB Patrick Peterson believes Steelers' success will 'come down to how well Kenny (Pickett) can play'
...Peterson didn't hesitate to heap pressure aplenty onto the second-year signal-caller's shoulders.
..." Peterson told Jim Rome this week. "Now it's going to all fall on him ...
...we have all the pieces that we need on defense," ...
...We have talent across the board on the offensive side of the ball. I believe the front office did a great job of getting what we needed in the draft ...
...You know it's all going to come down to how well Kenny can play and can he put the ball where it needs to go."...

CB Patrick Peterson believes Steelers' success will 'come down to how well Kenny (Pickett) can play'
...Peterson didn't hesitate to heap pressure aplenty onto the second-year signal-caller's shoulders.
..." Peterson told Jim Rome this week. "Now it's going to all fall on him ...
...we have all the pieces that we need on defense," ...
...We have talent across the board on the offensive side of the ball. I believe the front office did a great job of getting what we needed in the draft ...
...You know it's all going to come down to how well Kenny can play and can he put the ball where it needs to go."...
This is all true, but Canada is still a barrier

If this guy is half as good as advertised, I may have to load up on Steelers in FF. Everyone seems discounted from last year's play

As previously mentioned, Pickett's play in '22 isn't the majority of the issue that's discounting Steelers skill position guys. It's Matt Canada. He runs a horizontal offense in a vertical offense era, plus is tuuurrible at game planning/playcalling.

Couple that with the apparent continued pipe dream of Tomlin's that in the modern NFL you can win consistently against the best teams with just a great defense and strong running game (which they presently don't even have), then on offense most Steelers' players are probably "priced" pretty much where they should be (for the moment at least).

As previously mentioned, Pickett's play in '22 isn't the majority of the issue that's discounting Steelers skill position guys. It's Matt Canada. He runs a horizontal offense in a vertical offense era, plus is tuuurrible at game planning/playcalling.

Couple that with the apparent continued pipe dream of Tomlin's that in the modern NFL you can win consistently against the best teams with just a great defense and strong running game (which they presently don't even have), then on offense most Steelers' players are probably "priced" pretty much where they should be (for the moment at least).
DJ is underpriced.

If this guy is half as good as advertised, I may have to load up on Steelers in FF. Everyone seems discounted from last year's play
Sure, the OC may be a barrier but I agree with you. Pickett is a good QB and has weapons. The D is good but not dominant so the O will be forced to throw the ball more than Tomlin and Canada want in a strong division.

Reactions: Bri

Users who are viewing this thread