What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

QB Malik Willis, TEN (1 Viewer)

I thought of McNair too but Alcorn St. has over 50 players drafted in the NFL. And guys like Donald Driver were pretty good too. They even have more undrafted NFL players, than Liberty has drafted. And also 3 first round picks. Liberty is way behind. 
I’ve said it before, but the bigger thing imo is that he was recruited by a top school. Even made their team. And then transferred away because he wasn’t going to start over a player who probably doesn’t have much of an NFL career. Most transfers with the talent to play in the NFL go to other big programs. 

I’ve said it before, but the bigger thing imo is that he was recruited by a top school. Even made their team. And then transferred away because he wasn’t going to start over a player who probably doesn’t have much of an NFL career. Most transfers with the talent to play in the NFL go to other big programs. 
That's a really good point. I forgot that he was initially offered at Florida but wasn't that to be an RB and not a QB?

That's a really good point. I forgot that he was initially offered at Florida but wasn't that to be an RB and not a QB?
He was a backup QB at Auburn for two years. During the two years, he completed 11 of 14 passes for 69 yards with a touchdown and rushed for 309 yards and two touchdowns.

He was a backup QB at Auburn for two years. During the two years, he completed 11 of 14 passes for 69 yards with a touchdown and rushed for 309 yards and two touchdowns.
Sorry I was referring to McNair not Willis for FL. McNair could have went to Florida but they wanted him to play RB. 

I assume most of his detractors believe he is unlikely improve with coaching.  Either he can or can’t.  I could see him being like a young Matt Stafford relying on his incredible arm too much and often making bonehead decisions.   Can he progress faster or slower?  Even if that was the risk, don’t think 19 teams passing on him.  

I assume most of his detractors believe he is unlikely improve with coaching.  Either he can or can’t.  I could see him being like a young Matt Stafford relying on his incredible arm too much and often making bonehead decisions.   Can he progress faster or slower?  Even if that was the risk, don’t think 19 teams passing on him.  
I think a team/coach/gm is signing your firing papers drafting this kid in the first.  Everything I have seen is he is miles away from getting up to speed and even then not sure if he can go from Libertys "elementary" offense to a complicated NFL one.    At the end of the day, when a team is in the playoffs its still a pocket passer league

What in his history indicates an ability to improve with coaching?  He could not lead Auburn’s offense. The offense at Liberty was limited at best. He genuinely seems like a quality person with physical talent, but it would be really surprising to see him lead an NFL team to the playoffs, let alone a SB victory. 

Last edited by a moderator:
I don't consider myself a detractor but because of the strength of this QB class I expect him to get over drafted. That is a big deal BECAUSE I think Willis is the type of guy that could benefit from NFL coaching. Seems to me that he could really benefit from a Mahomes type situations where he sits his entire first year(except maybe the last game of the season) but because he's likely to be drafted early due to his high ceiling he'll be forced onto the field, probably by a non-playoff team which means he won't have a lot of talent around him to succeed. 

Can you name any others without the help of Google aside from Steve Young? Not being a smartass, just genuinely asking. I know I can’t. 

But the post I quoted also specifically mentioned QB’s that played against weaker opponents. Who was BYU’s toughest game in 2020? Coastal Carolina? 
Jim McMahon stuck out to me because it was always crazy to me that his personality came out of a Utah school.

The other was something Beck because there were a lot of different opinions about him going into his draft. If I remember correctly he had a horrendous career.

Bolt Backer is right on Josh Allen though.  Forgot about him.  Wyoming plays a better schedule than Liberty but it still isn's top tier.  And his HS recruiting ranking was not that high.
And just so you know I wasn't trying to be especially snarky there. Many of the pre draft assessment of Willis could have been pulled directly from the Josh Allen pre draft analysis. Successful.... at a small school. Trouble with consistent accuracy. Strong arm. Mobile. Ball security issues. Needs to improve decision making. They look different due to size but their success stylistically is kind of similar. If it's a copy cat league I can see people reaching for Willis bases solely on his possible ceiling. 

I have to be honest and admit I thought Allen was drafted too early at the time when he was selected #7 overall for many of the reasons I doubt Willis will be successful. 

I think a team/coach/gm is signing your firing papers drafting this kid in the first.  Everything I have seen is he is miles away from getting up to speed and even then not sure if he can go from Libertys "elementary" offense to a complicated NFL one.    At the end of the day, when a team is in the playoffs its still a pocket passer league
He needs to sit a year so he should be drafted by someone with a decent placeholder where he won't get rushed onto the field. This will also buy the coach/gm another year in case he can't get up to speed.

He needs to sit a year so he should be drafted by someone with a decent placeholder where he won't get rushed onto the field. This will also buy the coach/gm another year in case he can't get up to speed.
Don't you think the only way he sits through half the season is if he falls to pick #32 or something like that? 

I remember people discussing Teddy Bridgewater as a top ~10 pick that dropped that far and ultimately ended up very, very late in the first. But in his case I feel like there was a lot of momentum for him early in the process that dwindled as we got closer to the draft(a lot of nonsense about a glove if I remember correctly). In this case I feel like the drumbeat is getting louder and louder as we approach the draft. More of a Mayfield/Murray situation. I just can't imagine Willis making it to the middle of the first this year based on how many teams need QB.

CAR seems fairly likely to me and if he's drafted that high by a HC that needs someone to save his job he'll be the opening day starter imo. I also can't imagine the guys in SEA holding Willis off for very long even if he isn't playing especially well. Mariota in ATL could be a good place holder, though.

Several years ago, I remember being surprised by the number of starting quarterbacks at that time that were from the MAC. Not saying that the MAC is quite that small, but about the time Big Ben came into the league, I believe there were around 6-7. 

Several years ago, I remember being surprised by the number of starting quarterbacks at that time that were from the MAC. Not saying that the MAC is quite that small, but about the time Big Ben came into the league, I believe there were around 6-7. 
Ben Roethlisberger, Byron Leftwich, Chad Pennington. Seems like there were more. I’m going to have to look it up now. I’m sure there were more. 

Maybe not that many as I am looking. Charlie Frye, Charlie Batch, Bruce Gradkwoski, we’re floating around the NFL around that time. 

Anyway, I remember being surprised at the time. Quite a few for a relatively small conference. 

Can you give us a thumb-nail explanation of their arguments for discussion?

And when you mention Matt are you talking about Matt Waldman?
Waldman. Had to do with the ‘football instincts’ when things go awry. JA bad games he was still taking off and making football plays reflective of an attempt to continue an engagement and understanding of the overall field / playcall dynamic. Vs when Willis takes off, his mental process diverted to escape with athleticism, often directly into a worse rush situation, then if he escaped, having to look back upfield and re engage with the football play/ scheme. 

Hope I’m not murdering this lol.

If you substitute Texas Tech for Liberty in the above paragraph,  could you apply the same logic to Mahones. 

https://www.espn.com/nfl/draft2022/story/_/id/33145124/patrick-mahomes-evolving-nfl-draft-quarterback-evaluation-how-chiefs-qb-changed-way-todd-mcshay-scouts-position

Patrick Mahomes' tape in the lead-up to the 2017 NFL draft was scary. It was littered with off-balance passes, sidearm deliveries, leaning throws, backward drifts and lots of improvisation. His footwork was frantic; he didn't consistently step through to his target; and he looked more like shortstop hurling a baseball across the diamond on the move than a potential first-round franchise quarterback.

The narrative you describe that allows your GM to justify drafting an NFL ready Josh Rosen over the super athletic Lamar Jackson.   My starting point for drafting a QB is can he make all the NFL throws and can he keep a defense honest and go from there. 

If you substitute Texas Tech for Liberty in the above paragraph,  could you apply the same logic to Mahones. 

https://www.espn.com/nfl/draft2022/story/_/id/33145124/patrick-mahomes-evolving-nfl-draft-quarterback-evaluation-how-chiefs-qb-changed-way-todd-mcshay-scouts-position

The narrative you describe that allows your GM to justify drafting an NFL ready Josh Rosen over the super athletic Lamar Jackson.   My starting point for drafting a QB is can he make all the NFL throws and can he keep a defense honest and go from there. 
Honestly, If someone with Reid’s acumen goes after Willis, I’ll probably change my opinion of his potential.  Closest I see to that happening is Tomlin. Smith doesn’t have the same respect but it would be interesting to see if the falcons go after him when they have a really good shot at their choice next year.  Should be fun to see what happens. 

[Draft Sheets] Malik Willis, the arm of discord

... one of the strongest arms in the category. He is able to push the ball very far and complete passes for big wins. It’s not just about throwing 60-yard bombs. The 22-year-old creates impressive velocity with minimal effort. He throws with a crisp, quick release, and can place leather in tight windows. He is also able to change the angle of his arm in his mechanic in order to get around defenders, and has shown his ability to throw on the move. His natural strength will give him the ability to make all the throws that will be asked of him at the NFL level.

-----------------------------------------------

Matt Miller@nfldraftscout

Arm angle flex.

Bobby Stroupe @bobbystroupe

>>> LINK to vid

The question with Malik Willis has never been his arm talent or athleticism.  He is elite in those areas.  However, it remains to be seen if he can make pre-snap reads of cleverly-disguised NFL defenses, quickly get through his progressions, and deliver accurate strikes to his receivers.  The raw talent is certainly there, and Willis represents enormous upside, but it seems likely he will require a lot of coaching and an initial simplified offensive playbook.  Malik Willis would benefit from a redshirt rookie season, similar to Trey Lance and Patrick Mahomes.

MAC is no joke. The best WR of the last 10 years came from Central Michigan. The NFL sack leader last year is from Eastern Michigan. Corey Davis was the 5th overall pick out of Western Michigan. Eric Fisher was the 1.01 out of Central Michigan. Kareem Hunt is from Toledo.  Plus we some legends like Michael Turner, Antonio Gates, Greg Jennings, James Harrison, Jason Taylor, Randy Moss, Jack Lambert. 

That said, I saw Willis play EMU this year. He tore it up and would have done fine in the MAC. 

What in his history indicates an ability to improve with coaching?  He could not lead Auburn’s offense. The offense at Liberty was limited at best. He genuinely seems like a quality person with physical talent, but it would be really surprising to see him lead an NFL team to the playoffs, let alone a SB victory. 
The only point I can make in the favor of Willis here is to question the supporting cast around him. Was the talent around him good enough to run a more complex offense? Could he trust his OL to give him time? Did he have players who could get open, break tackles, etc?

Yeah this is tough to explain away. I think we have to assume Auburn's coaching staff missed the boat here. Their QB play has been bad the last couple years. The fact that Willis is going to be a first round pick in the draft is enough to say that the Auburn coaching staff totally botched their QB room by not building the offense around Willis. Liberty is a small program but HC Hugh Freeze is a very experienced football coach so I am sure he was able to sell the program. Plus, I did hear Willis say after things not working out at Auburn, the idea of playing pro football wasn't even on his radar. So there is a good chance he just chose Liberty because he liked Freeze or liked the campus or liked the religious aspect. 

ESPN's Jeremy Fowler reports that Malik Willis is "in the mix" for the Lions at No. 2 overall.

"They have not solidified what they're doing there yet," Fowler notes. "I believe Malik Willis is not totally off the table here, because they've worked on getting him in the building for a late pre-draft visit." Most NFL-connected evaluators have steadily moved down the quarterbacks down the pecking order as we've slid into April. Fowler posits that may just be setting us up for a draft night surprise. We'd be surprised if the Lions picked Willis at No. 2, though a trade probably can't be ruled out. 

RELATED: 

Detroit Lions

SOURCE: Jeremy Fowler on Twitter

Apr 17, 2022, 2:38 PM ET

NFL.com's Tom Pelissero reported that an NFC offensive coordinator believes that Liberty QB Malik Willis is a better prospect than both San Francisco QB Trey Lance and Chicago QB Justin Fields.

The 2021 draft class was loaded with quarterback talent that was widely considered great. Both Lance and Fields were consensus top-15 selections in the NFL Draft and were selected as such. Having Willis (6'1/215) ranked above both of them is an eyebrow-raiser because he is not nearly as refined in the technical elements of the game. Pelissero also noted that an AFC general manager said "I think people are a little short-sighted with that kid" which is a direct reference to his dominant athletic traits. This was alluding to both Josh Allen and Patrick Mahomes also had coming out as well. As the NFL continues to evolve, prioritizing dominant athletic traits looks closer to becoming the norm. 

SOURCE: Tom Pelissero

Apr 21, 2022, 9:38 PM ET

Liberty QB Malik Willis is the top quarterback on the consensus big board compiled by The Athletic's Arif Hasan.

The consensus big board compiles big boards from the best minds across the industry. Willis (6'1/215) isn't a surprise since he has the best traits of any quarterback in the class. He ranks six spots higher at 28 than Kenny Pickett at 34. Willis has elite-level upside with his dynamic arm and phenomenal athleticism and running ability. 

SOURCE: The Athletic

Apr 21, 2022, 10:58 PM ET

According to Wynnbet, Liberty QB Malik Willis is favored to be the first quarterback taken in the draft.

Ever since his performance at the Senior Bowl, Willis' (6'1/215) draft stock has soared higher than every drop of helium could take you. His dynamic mobility and huge arm have teams salivating to make him their franchise quarterback. There are at least four teams in the top 10 that could be looking for a quarterback in the draft, and Willis is ahead at -200 over Kenny Pickett +120

SOURCE: Wynnbet

Apr 24, 2022, 3:17 PM ET

Liberty QB Malik Willis has drawn many comparisons to Philadelphia Eagle's QB Jalen Hurts in regards to the system he needs to play in. 

Like most of Feldman's questions in his Draft Confidential, the questions are quite targeted. This time, Feldman asked about the concerns about the system Willis (6'1"/215) played in. Interestingly though, two coaches brought up Jalen Hurt's with no direct prompting. They both said you have to tailor you offense completely around Willis like the Eagles' had to with Hurts, which is not necessarily a good thing as the Eagles' offense was forced to be extremely basic due to Hurts' limitations. They do agree that Willis has rare arm talent and athleticism, but one said Hurts is probably the superior passer right now which is not a ringing endorsement. NBC Sports Edge's Thor Nystrom has also made the Hurts-Willis comparison in a positive light. He's said that if Hurts was successful in the NFL (he did lead the Eagles to a 9-8 record and a playoff spot when most had them as one of the worst teams in the NFL), how could Willis, who is more athletic and has a better arm, not be. 

SOURCE: Bruce Feldman on the Athletic

Apr 25, 2022, 2:55 PM ET

I think people are missing the boat with him. He has an elite arm and athletic ability and seems to be a good leader. Plays broke down at Liberty and he couldn’t make something out of them because of inferior talent around him. All of that scrambling around to make something happened was because his line broke down; he wasn’t playing behind Bama’s line. I think he’s the best QB in this draft by far. 

I think people are missing the boat with him. He has an elite arm and athletic ability and seems to be a good leader. Plays broke down at Liberty and he couldn’t make something out of them because of inferior talent around him. All of that scrambling around to make something happened was because his line broke down; he wasn’t playing behind Bama’s line. I think he’s the best QB in this draft by far. 
Agreed. Rich man's Jalen Hurts is a pretty valuable QB in my opinion.

The Athletic's Bruce Feldman reports an NFL quarterbacks coach believes Malik Willis would have one of the eight strongest throwing arms in the NFL.

Willis' arm strength has been compared to Josh Allen's in recent weeks. The quarterbacks coach said Willis' arm "is really strong. It’s legit strong, probably a top 8 in the NFL." An NFL scout told Feldman that Willis' occasional accuracy issues would resolve themselves the more he played against NFL competition. Willis in 2021 had the second highest completion rate over expected (CPOE) among the top-five QB prospects in the 2022 draft class; only Kenny Pickett's CPOE was higher. The quarterbacks coach said whichever team drafts Willis is going to have to change its offense to cater to his strengths, the way the Eagles did with Jalen Hurts in 2021. 

SOURCE: The Athletic 

Apr 26, 2022, 8:17 AM ET

"An NFL scout told Feldman that Willis' occasional accuracy issues would resolve themselves the more he played against NFL competition"

Cuz that usually happens?

For every Josh Allen there are probably 5 Jake Lockers.  Accuracy issues do not magically just get better with more play against better competition. 

Willis's  accuracy issues are real, and he is going to have a lot of work to do in that regard.  That does not mean that he cannot improve at the pro level, but acting like it's some foregone conclusion is wishful thinking(at best) or ignoring history(at worst).

Scouts and pundits need to stop comparing every athletic, inaccurate college QB to Josh Allen as the bankable/expected outcome. Josh Allen is an outlier,  not the norm.

WynnBET@WynnBET

The Pittsburgh Steelers are now the favorite to land Malik Willis in the #NFLDraft

LINK to betting chart showing odds
As soon as they signed Trubisky I thought that Willis was going to PItt.  My thoughts were they install a mobile QB friendly system and let Trubisky run the ship for a year while Willis learns and gets familiar with the offense.  Then he is ready to take over next year.  I didn't really see any other reason they signed Trubisky.

As soon as they signed Trubisky I thought that Willis was going to PItt.  My thoughts were they install a mobile QB friendly system and let Trubisky run the ship for a year while Willis learns and gets familiar with the offense.  Then he is ready to take over next year.  I didn't really see any other reason they signed Trubisky.
What if Detroit or Carolina takes Willis? 

I think people are missing the boat with him. He has an elite arm and athletic ability and seems to be a good leader. Plays broke down at Liberty and he couldn’t make something out of them because of inferior talent around him. All of that scrambling around to make something happened was because his line broke down; he wasn’t playing behind Bama’s line.  I think he’s the best QB in this draft by far. 
🤷 wasn’t behind Bama’s line but wasn’t playing against SEC corners and edge rushers. 

I’m actually hoping Pittsburgh takes him. That’s the only way I’d consider drafting him with the 1.04 (sf). 

I believe whomever selects Willis will have a unique player at QB who could be very successful at the NFL level. The question that will linger for a bit is, will the team that selects Willis take the time to prepare/train him properly (ala Mahomes in KC,) or will they throw him to the wolves?

According to DraftKings, Liberty's Malik Willis is favored to be the first quarterback taken off the board.

Willis' (6'1"/215) draft stock soared beyond anyone's imagination after his impressive showing at the Senior Bowl, and that continued at the Combine and his pro day. He's continually been projected to be the first quarterback taken and we've even seen him as the second overall pick. He has so much raw ability with his legs and arm that can make him a massive playmaker. There's some risk as he is not as polished as some of the prospects, but with time and progression, he could become special.

SOURCE: Julian Edlow

Apr 27, 2022, 9:43 PM ET

Dan Orlovsky@danorlovsky7

If you draft Malik Willis—THIS is the #1 thing you better attack and fix in his game…and it’s gonna take years of reps. #nfldraft #nfllive @minakimes

LINK to video

-----------------------------------------------------------------

3.19-second

He tends to go slowly through progressions and hold the ball too long, as evidenced by a 3.19-second average time to throw – the second-slowest in the draft class (Malik Willis, 3.33) Matt Corral (Ole Miss)

NBC Sports EDGE's Thor Nystrom has Liberty QB Malik Willis ranked as the No. 1 available player heading into Day 2.

Willis (6'1/215) entered the Thursday as the favorite to be the first quarterback taken by several sports books. By the end of the evening, Willis was not only the first quarterback taken, but he remained on the board throughout the duration of the first round. Still available as we head into Day 2 of the draft, Willis is certain to hear his name called at some point, with the question being when? Nystrom had Willis ranked as the No. 1 overall player heading into the draft, which could be a sign that his name will be called early on Friday.

SOURCE: NBC Sports EDGE

Apr 29, 2022, 12:32 PM ET

CBS Sports' Chris Trapasso mocked Liberty QB Malik Willis to the Seahawks with the 40th overall pick in the 2022 NFL Draft.

Willis (6'1/215) being mocked to the Seahawks was a popular pick throughout the pre-draft process. Of course, those mocks had Willis going to Seattle with the ninth overall pick, a far cry from the 40th overall selection he's receiving here. Assuming the Seahawks haven't actually bought in to Drew Lock as the franchise QB, Seattle selecting the quarterback with the most upside has the chance to turn in a Russell Wilson-like steal all over again.

SOURCE: CBS Sports

Apr 29, 2022, 1:48 PM ET

Liberty QB Malik Willis sits as the odds on favorite (+125) to be drafted 34th overall.

The Minnesota Vikings currently hold the 34th overall pick, but recently signed QB Kirk Cousins to a one-year extension earlier this offseason. The Vikings aren't committed to Cousins beyond 2023. Willis' well-documented fall out of the first round will likely end early on Day 2. A marriage to the Vikings could prove beneficial to his long-term outlook. It also shouldn't be ruled out that another team could trade up to select Willis at 34th overall.

SOURCE: PointsBet

Apr 29, 2022, 3:23 PM ET

Users who are viewing this thread