What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

QB Malik Willis, TEN (1 Viewer)

NFL Network's Ian Rapoport reports the Seahawks "really like" Liberty QB Malik Willis.

Willis is the top quarterback still on the board for most draft pundits. Rapoport named a few other teams that have shown some interest in taking a quarterback. The Falcons were an unsurprising team he brought, but the Vikings, who he also mentioned, would be a bit of a shocker. Minnesota has the No. 34 pick and the Seahawks currently sit at No. 40. Willis has an incredible arm paired with rushing capabilities that are on par with Lamar Jackson. Though playing at Liberty didn't afford him many chances to face elite competition, getting a player with his upside in the second round will be a steal for whichever front office makes the move. 

RELATED: 

Seattle Seahawks

, Atlanta Falcons

, Minnesota Vikings

SOURCE: Ian Rapoport on Twitter

Apr 29, 2022, 5:10 PM ET

ESPN's Jeremy Fowler reports Liberty QB Malik Willis could be drafted in the first five picks of the second round.

The Athletic's Jeff Howe adds "several teams are trying to move up toward the top of the second round," with the expectation there could be a run on quarterbacks. Tampa has been getting calls for the No. 33 pick, with the Seahawks among the teams interested in moving up. Willis, Cincinnati's Desmond Ridder, UNC's Sam Howell, and Ole Miss QB Matt Corral all have a chance to be drafted early on Day 2.

SOURCE: ESPN

Apr 29, 2022, 6:25 PM ET

Titans selected Liberty QB Malik Willis with the No. 86 overall pick in the 2022 NFL Draft.  

Tennessee traded up to take Willis, who was widely rumored to be a top-10 selection before the draft. Willis (6’0/225) was among the most polarizing draft prospects during the season before putting on solid performances at the Senior Bowl, Combine, and his Pro Day. He finished out the 2021 season with a 61.1 completion percentage, 2,857 passing yards, 27 touchdowns, and 12 interceptions. Willis has received no shortage of praise for his mobility and Houdini-like elusiveness from defenders, but there are concerns about his ability as a thrower. He lacked touch on certain throws that required them throughout the season and had three games with three interceptions against very subpar secondaries. Throughout offseason showcases, however, Willis appeared to make strides in these areas, raising his draft stock. Granted he can stay steady as a passer, he’s going to have a relatively easy transition into the modern era of the NFL. Willis probably won't be in a true competition with Ryan Tannehill, but could certainly see playing time in short yardage and goal line situations, or if Tannehill struggles in 2022. 

RELATED: 

Ryan Tannehill

Apr 29, 2022, 10:35 PM ET

Stupid trade with no teams ahead needing QBs.

Dopey fans acting like he's a first rounder.

Draft folks that wrote he's a first round maybe top X pick but has decision making issues claiming they predicted he'd fall.

It's all kind of expected and needs to play out.

He's a third round QB, he's a third round QB....say it with me

I watched some tonight and had watched some a while ago. Ridder is a way better fit. Anywho, I'm not sure if it's such bad decision making as it is getting too excited and lacking composure. It's little kid like.

He didn't read the defense well for most of the game and suddenly is incapable. That's a gross exaggeration. F I were his coach, I would almost call a timeout if I saw him smiling and fist bumping. He's got that arrogant dopeyness that hits him and  it's just immature really.

Any team can break that arrogance out of a rookie, just gotta tread carefully not to wreck his confidence in the process.

JAG Justin Hunter was a perfectly bad example. Running deep routes when he's not part of the play and ...oh everything was just too much.

Oh and I don't see Vick and Lamar. McNabb? Young? Mariota? Gimme a lesser top athlete, he's not them

I think a team/coach/gm is signing your firing papers drafting this kid in the first.  Everything I have seen is he is miles away from getting up to speed and even then not sure if he can go from Libertys "elementary" offense to a complicated NFL one.    At the end of the day, when a team is in the playoffs its still a pocket passer league
another damn

First Impressions on Every Member of the Titans Draft Class Following Rookie Minicamp

Excerpt:

QB Malik Willis

I'm starting with Willis because he garnered the most attention over the weekend. Let's get this straight right out of the gate: Willis isn't in a competition with Ryan Tannehill right now, and he won't be breathing down his neck to win the starting job in training camp either. His mission at the start is to learn, and improve, as much as possible in his first days, weeks, and months on the job. But I'll say this after watching him two days: Willis is an intriguing guy, because of his arm and his legs, and he carries himself like a leader. Watching Willis, I liked how he interacted with his teammates, his attitude on the field, and how he handled his first presser. Over the two days, Willis was mostly accurate in the practices, and he even made a few 'Oh my' throws. He has a stronger arm that I expected, and he delivered the ball into tight spaces. Willis also threw a bad pick, some of his throws were behind his targets, he had some issues taking the snap, and his technique clearly needs work. But there's no doubt it's going to be fun to watch this guy develop.

Jim Wyatt @jwyattsports

50 seconds of @malikwillis from Friday’s @Titans minicamp.

https://twitter.com/jwyattsports/status/1525202113617330176?s=21

Last edited by a moderator:
ESPN's Turron Davenport projects rookie Malik Willis to open the season as the Titans' No. 3 quarterback.

This speaks volumes to how bad Willis looked at OTAs. Willis was never close to pushing Ryan Tannehill for a starting role and is behind Logan Woodside, a practice squad quarterback that was promoted to Tannehill's backup last year. The Titans are taking a long-term approach to developing Willis, making it unlikely he sees the field before 2023.

SOURCE: ESPN

Jun 24, 2022, 6:25 PM ET

It would be shocking if he was ready to be the primary backup this year. The role of the backup is completely different than what he can hopefully provide IF he hits potential. At best this year he’ll get in a few snaps as a gadget play. He’ll get fewer than 50 snaps this year unless the titans completely fall apart or Ryan and Logan both get injured. 

Think this is one of the 'editorial' updates where an inference is made based on really nothing at all.  Leading up to the draft, even optimistic scouting reports had Willis needing a redshirt year.  There was never any expectation of him 'pushing' Tannehill this off-season.  Having him as QB3 in 2022 always seemed to be the likeliest of outcomes.

Time for a thread title update.
Haven't heard any updates so I will be interested to see how he plays in his first NFL preseason game against a team like the Ravens who will blitz the rookie.
-------------------------------------------
Mike Herndon

@MikeMiracles

The Ravens present an interesting first opponent for Malik Willis. They’ve been known to throw a good mix of blitzes at QBs in the preseason, so it’ll be a good test for Willis in the critical areas of pre-snap/post-snap processing that’s been a big focus for him in camp.
-------------------------------------
Mike Herndon

Replying to
@MikeMiracles
While it would be fun to see some of the elusiveness and improvisation skills that make him such a potentially special prospect, I think the Titans will very much want him in the pocket and playing on schedule tomorrow night. Very excited to watch either way.

Malik Willis completed 6-of-11 passes for 107 yards in the Titans' preseason opener against the Ravens, adding five carries for 38 additional yards and a touchdown.​

Willis also took two sacks. Willis had fantasy Twitter aflutter with his 48-yard deep strike to Racey McMath and his winding, field-reversing seven-yard touchdown run, but coach Mike Vrabel spent most of his Willis post-game remarks lamenting Willis' poor timing and decision-making. Vrabel's words were a reality check, but the GIFs you will see on repeat the rest of the weekend do serve as a reminder of the third-rounder's genuine play-making ability. He is an exciting Dynasty league stash.
SOURCE: Jim Wyatt on Twitter
Aug 11, 2022, 11:21 PM ET

He made some bad decisions, especially the sack before the half, but you could see the playmaking abilities he possesses on some other plays, including his TD run, and a sidearm throw to his TE for a 1st down with a blitzer right in his face.

Many noted his incredible physical traits early in the process when he was mocked in the top-ten.
I was surprised he lasted so long and not surprised he flashed in the preseason.
I like the long-term potential. I got lucky when Josh Allen fell when people passed him over.
Malik leapt off the screen when I was looking into this year's QB class.
I could use a developmental QB, and he may fall in our rookie draft.

So Vrabel said after the game that they pulled WIllis for not pulling the trigger on this play. They wanted him to throw it, he didn't, they pulled him from th game.

I don't care that the the 3rd round rookie from Liberty was hesitant/messed up. That will happen, and it'll happen again. But I really liked the way the staff handled it. You don't throw the ball when it's there, you won't play. Great way to teach him that lesson after getting him some work. Honestly, he was probably due to come out soon anyway.
And with Tannehil there, he doesn't get rushed into action.

I really don't know much abou him, but this seems like favorable circumstances for a QB's development.

Baldinger: Malik Willis looked like the next coming of Lamar Jackson against Ravens

... “Watching Malik Willis start the other night, he’s so exciting it’s ridiculous,” Baldinger said (16:40 in player above). You saw him against the Ravers. I mean it looked like the next coming of Lamar. If it was flag football they couldn’t rip the flag off him. The arm is great. The ball just jumps out of his hand. He made one throw to Racey McMath – I mean what kind of receiver’s name is that, Racey McMath – 48 yards on a dime.”
He missed some throws and held the ball too long at times, as the guys mentioned, but “the talent is undeniable,” said Baldinger.
Willis went 6-for-11 for 107 yards through the air, but he was sacked twice. However, his real weapon is his legs. He ran for 38 yards on five carries, including a seven-yard touchdown run...

Baldinger: Malik Willis looked like the next coming of Lamar Jackson against Ravens

... “Watching Malik Willis start the other night, he’s so exciting it’s ridiculous,” Baldinger said (16:40 in player above). You saw him against the Ravers. I mean it looked like the next coming of Lamar. If it was flag football they couldn’t rip the flag off him. The arm is great. The ball just jumps out of his hand. He made one throw to Racey McMath – I mean what kind of receiver’s name is that, Racey McMath – 48 yards on a dime.”
He missed some throws and held the ball too long at times, as the guys mentioned, but “the talent is undeniable,” said Baldinger.
Willis went 6-for-11 for 107 yards through the air, but he was sacked twice. However, his real weapon is his legs. He ran for 38 yards on five carries, including a seven-yard touchdown run...
Baldy get a lil excited sometimes

Malik Willis completed 15-of-23 passes for 131 yards, one touchdown and an interception in Saturday's preseason finale against the Cardinals, adding four rushes for 79 additional yards.​

Willis did a little bit of everything, showing off his insane jets on a 50-yard run, uncorking some sidearm passes, and finding fellow rookie Treylon Burks for a touchdown. He also threw a tipped-ball INT and took some sacks he should not have. On the whole, the No. 86 overall pick finishes the preseason 28-of-51 (54.9 percent) for 318 yards (6.23 YPA), two scores and tonight's pick. He rushed 14 times for an eye-popping 159 yards (11.3 YPC). Despite his expected rawness coming out of small-school Liberty, Willis also flashed his play-making upside and seems like someone who will eventually get some regular season snaps, even if it's not in 2022.
Aug 28, 2022, 12:19 AM ET

Arm talent on display.
Also, we know he is weapon with his legs.
-----------------------------------------------------------
Malik Willis can do some crazy things
Mike Herndon
@MikeMiracles

Last night was probably our last significant look at Malik Willis until August 2023. How much he develops behind the scenes between now and then will be fascinating to see.
LINK to video
-------------------
Tennessee Titans
@Titans

Showing off that
@EAMaddenNFL
speed 1f4a8.png
@Titans_fans
LINK to video
================
Jim Nagy
@JimNagy_SB

Preseason is over and it’s clear Malik Willis’ game is going to translate. He’s doing same things to NFL defenses that he did at Liberty. League probably overthought that one.

Best thing to happen to Willis was getting drafted by the Titans...they have an excellent coach and an entrenched starter for now...will allow Willis to be developed correctly and with patience instead of being rushed a long which would hinder his development and kill his career.

Malik Willis is the No. 2 quarterback on the Titans depth chart.​

The rookie will start the season as Ryan Tannehill's backup following a solid preseason in which Willis completed 55 percent of his passes at 6.2 yards per attempt. He threw two touchdowns and a pick while rushing for 159 yards in three games. Though Titans head coach Mike Vrabel has been critical of Willis' decision making, the team had enough confidence in the raw rookie to release Logan Woodside and have Willis serve as the QB2. Tennessee's offense would change, probably dramatically, if Willis starts a game in 2022. He should certainly be rostered in superflex leagues, and would instantly be a QB1 candidate in one-quarterback leagues if Tannehill struggles with injuries or gets benched.
SOURCE: Cameron Wolfe on Twitter
Aug 30, 2022, 5:17 PM ET

Does Willis make starts this year? I guess it will depend on if/when Titans fall out of the playoff race. Could offer about 75% of the excitement of Trey Lance.

Malik Willis completed 1-of-4 passes for six yards in the Titans' 41-7, Week 2 loss against the Bills, adding four carries for 16 additional yards.​

With the game already out of hand, Tennessee looked to Willis to close things out late in the third quarter. The third-round rookie completed just one pass on the evening -- a six-yard completion to Robert Woods -- but kept things on the ground for most of the fourth quarter. Willis would lose a fumble on a read option run, only further highlighting the Titans' offensive struggles in this one. Don't confuse Willis' appearance for something it's not. Ryan Tannehill isn't losing his job to the rookie signal-caller anytime soon.
Sep 20, 2022, 12:48 AM ET

Titans are hosting the Raiders then on the road at the Colts and Commodores. It's not like the Colts and Commodores are world beaters, but not easy games on the road and there's a reasonable chance they start out at 0-5.

There does seem to be a path for Willis to get in there sooner rather than later.

meanwhile, mac Jones is starting for a top contender and Lance hasn’t done squat.
Imagine SF with chase right now.
(I know, it’s one year, things can very well change in another year or two)

Is there a Mac Jones in this draft?

Would Mac Jones be playing over Jimmy G if they were both in SF?

What really matters is how Lance and Mac look in a year or 2. I think most people acknowledged that Lance needed development.
If there is one, it’s probably the Steeler qb.

I guess it will depend on if/when Titans fall out of the playoff race.

In the AFC South, I'm not sure that's going to happen all that early in the season.
Not only that, the 0-2 start from LV and CIN may keep the Titans in the wild card hunt longer than expected. The defense has played poorly, and BUF is a special team. It's not all on Tannehill. His receiving group is not good.

Their bye week is week 7 - after the bye is the earliest Willis is likely to start and only if they think he's ready and Tannehill stinks and they're 1-6.

In the AFC South, I'm not sure that's going to happen all that early in the season.
Not only that, the 0-2 start from LV and CIN may keep the Titans in the wild card hunt longer than expected. The defense has played poorly, and BUF is a special team. It's not all on Tannehill. His receiving group is not good.

Their bye week is week 7 - after the bye is the earliest Willis is likely to start and only if they think he's ready and Tannehill stinks and they're 1-6.
Agree on week 7 at the earliest if they're at that losing stage then. That would give them two weeks to prepare Willis. Long way to go obviously...

Titans are hosting the Raiders then on the road at the Colts and Commodores. It's not like the Colts and Commodores are world beaters, but not easy games on the road and there's a reasonable chance they start out at 0-5.

There does seem to be a path for Willis to get in there sooner rather than later.
Fwiw, I’m completely okay with the titans just bottoming out this year. It would be great if Willis looks competent but I’m not counting on it. As unlikely as it seems, most fans would welcome another Young at QB.

Playoffs? You’re talking about playoffs?
It’s obviously early but I’d sure bet on a LV and cincy to get back in the hunt ahead of Tennessee. Then you have Miami looking good, you can virtually lock up at least one WC from the west, probably two.
I’d think it’s far better bet for the titans to win the division still than a WC seed.

its definitely not on Tannehill, but at some point they will want to see what Willis can do.

Users who are viewing this thread