What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Qb position open in BAL (1 Viewer)

Red Herring

Footballguy
(Rotoworld) Ravens GM Ozzie Newsome talks to Kerry Collins' agent nearly every day. Impact: "Right now, the way I see it, I've got the job in the league," Newsome said. "There aren't any other teams left out there where you can say to an agent or 'Look, you can come in here and win the job.'" That explains why Newsome is taking his time, and says a lot about Kyle Boller's status.
Regardless of Collins signing or not, this is awful news for Boller owners. It looks like Newsome is set on bringing in another QB and I doubt he will bring in anyone that Boller could be out. Looks like Boller is headed to backup land. :bye:

I thought Boller started to show a little promise at the end of last season. If I were a Ravens fan, Kerry Collins would not excite me, at all.

The odds are slim, but the only veteran QB acquisitions that would make sense in Baltimore would be either Favre or McNair. That aside, maybe Baltimore should draft a QB on day one.

Honestly I watched Boller a lot toward the end of the year last year and I liked what I saw. His problem is confidence more than anything else and I think he gained some at the end of last year. I think if I'm the Ravens I want to see a continued evolution of Boller and the best way to do that is bring in someone that will push him. Anthony Wright certainly isn't gonna push him.

Collins also adds security and to tell you the truth where else would Collins sign? He thinks he has a legitimate chance at starting and the Ravens will tell him he can compete. I say now that Boller wins the job and has a nice season.

I was in the camp that thought he showed a lot of promise the last few games, which is why he was on my radar. Considering most can agree confidence is one of his biggest issues, saying his job is up for grabs can't help and, IMHO, shows a lack of concern for Boller from Ravens brass at this point.

It looks more to me like BAL has soured on him. I now see him as a backup for a couple years before he gets a chance elsewhere, at which point i think he becomes a viable fantasy QB, but not before.

Last edited by a moderator:
My understanding is the reason the Ravens haven't signed Collins is that they are waiting to see if McNair is released.

If McNair is released, the Ravens will make a push to sign him, if not Collins will receive a contract offer.

IMO he has moved up. They have not signed anyone. I thought they were going to move fast and get one the the top FA's. Collins at his age IMO wouldnt be a good move. They could always bring back A Wright...

Honestly I watched Boller a lot toward the end of the year last year and I liked what I saw. His problem is confidence more than anything else and I think he gained some at the end of last year. I think if I'm the Ravens I want to see a continued evolution of Boller and the best way to do that is bring in someone that will push him. Anthony Wright certainly isn't gonna push him.

Dr D,

What exactly did you like what you saw out of Boller? As a season ticket holder, I bear the guy no ill will as he seems like a heck of a nice kid that really does whatever he can to help the team (he is the Heinz Ward of QBs in terms of blocking - but that doesn't win you many games).

You are right in that his confidence is shot, which to a large extent you have to lay at Billick's feet for rushing him into the starting position, but as I see it, his problem is an inability to read and react. He does a solid job when the primary read is open, but when he has to make a second look, he is a deer in the headlights. And for those looking to blame the O-line, while that does contribute to his problems, he has looked plenty horrible even when he has had more than ample time to throw.

If the primary is covered, he is toast - can he overcome this - :confused:

i think boller could benifit from sometime on the bench... i for one am not impressed at all by him... he just looks so uncomfortable when he is on the feild and his throwing motion is odd to me. i don't care that the o-line wasn't very good david carr looks much better and he gets saked 8 times a game. i think baltimroe will also pick up a day 1 Qb in round maybe omar jacobs?

Cal Bear in 3 . . . 2 . . .
do u happen to be Chris Redman... if so please chime in more since Boller ran you out of Baltimore.
:yawn: If I was Chris Redman, I sucked worse than Boller, which is truly humiliating.

Now, back on point: Boller sucks. Discuss.

Dr D,What exactly did you like what you saw out of Boller? As a season ticket holder, I bear the guy no ill will as he seems like a heck of a nice kid that really does whatever he can to help the team (he is the Heinz Ward of QBs in terms of blocking - but that doesn't win you many games). You are right in that his confidence is shot, which to a large extent you have to lay at Billick's feet for rushing him into the starting position, but as I see it, his problem is an inability to read and react. He does a solid job when the primary read is open, but when he has to make a second look, he is a deer in the headlights. And for those looking to blame the O-line, while that does contribute to his problems, he has looked plenty horrible even when he has had more than ample time to throw. If the primary is covered, he is toast - can he overcome this - :confused:
Love the atmosphere there by the way. :thumbup: Boller looked like he connected with Clayton at the end of the year and he finally figured out that Todd Heap can pretty much catch anything thrown within reach. He tore Minnesota up and they were still playing for something, and he also showed me something against GB (although they were so bad and they will be bad again no matter what Packer fans say). I know a thing or two about football but I get feelings about certain players and I'm usually right. I have a very good feeling about Boller, that he has taken an important step in becoming an NFL QB. This stuff takes time, sometimes three or four years. Boller is ready and I think he'll have a fine year.

do u happen to be Chris Redman... if so please chime in more since Boller ran you out of Baltimore.
:yawn: If I was Chris Redman, I sucked worse than Boller, which is truly humiliating.

Now, back on point: Boller sucks. Discuss.
Are you Method Man's sidekick, Redman? :D
He's a smartass Redskin fan who hates Baltimore or really anything not Redskin related. Luckily he is a very knowledgeable fan with a good sense of humor because as we all know, no one like a Redskins fan.

:lmao: I was thinking exactly that. As I was reading through the posts I was waiting to see his reply, then I saw your post.Personally, I think Boller is a future HOFer. He's never thrown an interception in a playoff game. Never lost a playoff game. Clearly that makes him better than Brady, Manning, Favre, Montana, Young, Marino...

Don't get me wrong, I think Boller has the talent to be a good NFL QB, but he has been handled awfully and schooled worse since day 1. He was not a QB that should have started right away and needed a good veteran mentor. I think almost everyone has given up thinking Billick is some kind of offensive guru or genius at this point; Boller will continue to suck under his tutelage. Kyle needs to sit behind a solid vet with good mechanics and NFL IQ and learn what checking down means, and he will be fine. Which will never happen in BAL, IMO

ETA: I also believe he is the poster boy for NFL players who need a fresh start to revive a once promising career

Dr D,

What exactly did you like what you saw out of Boller? As a season ticket holder, I bear the guy no ill will as he seems like a heck of a nice kid that really does whatever he can to help the team (he is the Heinz Ward of QBs in terms of blocking - but that doesn't win you many games).

You are right in that his confidence is shot, which to a large extent you have to lay at Billick's feet for rushing him into the starting position, but as I see it, his problem is an inability to read and react. He does a solid job when the primary read is open, but when he has to make a second look, he is a deer in the headlights. And for those looking to blame the O-line, while that does contribute to his problems, he has looked plenty horrible even when he has had more than ample time to throw.

If the primary is covered, he is toast - can he overcome this - :confused:
Love the atmosphere there by the way. :thumbup: Boller looked like he connected with Clayton at the end of the year and he finally figured out that Todd Heap can pretty much catch anything thrown within reach. He tore Minnesota up and they were still playing for something, and he also showed me something against GB (although they were so bad and they will be bad again no matter what Packer fans say). I know a thing or two about football but I get feelings about certain players and I'm usually right. I have a very good feeling about Boller, that he has taken an important step in becoming an NFL QB.

This stuff takes time, sometimes three or four years. Boller is ready and I think he'll have a fine year.
Thanks for the commentary.

:lmao: I was thinking exactly that. As I was reading through the posts I was waiting to see his reply, then I saw your post.Personally, I think Boller is a future HOFer. He's never thrown an interception in a playoff game. Never lost a playoff game. Clearly that makes him better than Brady, Manning, Favre, Montana, Young, Marino...
Boller may not be the next Manning, but if Baltimore brings in a career 55% passer who is 11-30 over the past three years, it will not be to start.

Boller may not be the next Manning, but if Baltimore brings in a career 55% passer who is 11-30 over the past three years, it will not be to start.
I'm glad someone else on this forum isn't stupid.Since when has Kerry Collins ever been good? I realize Kyle Boller isn't great, but he's on the verge of being pretty good.

You can criticize Joey Harrington because he's a bad Quarterback with a great supporting cast and three pretty decent coaches.

You can't say the same for Boller, who has dealt with injuries to key players, and an overall lack of talent. He finally got that talent last year and then he got hurt.

He may not be a full-blown stud, but he'll be a QB1 next year, especially with that defense in such sharp decline.

Last edited:
I'm not a fan of Boller. He just hasn't shown me enough to make me feel he can be a good NFL QB in the NFL (he does throw far on one knee though). I also get the feeling that the Raven players don't believe in him. If the team doesn't have faith in their QB you have a very unhealthy situation like you have in Detroit with Joey Harrington. My guess is Ozzie knows this and wants to bring in someone that the players have confidence in. McNair could be that guy but I agree with others who think Collins isn't the answer.

I'm glad someone else on this forum isn't stupid.Since when has Kerry Collins ever been good? I realize Kyle Boller isn't great, but he's on the verge of being pretty good.

You can criticize Joey Harrington because he's a bad Quarterback with a great supporting cast and three pretty decent coaches.

You can't say the same for Boller, who has dealt with injuries to key players, and an overall lack of talent. He finally got that talent last year and then he got hurt.

He may not be a full-blown stud, but he'll be a QB1 next year, especially with that defense in such sharp decline.
Boller being 22-18, 55% passer in that offense impresses me less than Collins. At least Collins has proven he has the talent to be a very good NFL QB. I honestly don't like either in BAL, but as a Mason owner I would feel much better about having Collins behind center than Boller. McNair would be a huge upgrade (and make him worth keeping at his high price)

Boller being 22-18, 55% passer in that offense impresses me less than Collins. At least Collins has proven he has the talent to be a very good NFL QB. I honestly don't like either in BAL, but as a Mason owner I would feel much better about having Collins behind center than Boller. McNair would be a huge upgrade (and make him worth keeping at his high price)
Starting with and including the Pittsburgh win, Boller's last seven games he managed 1516 yards and 12 TD against 8 INT. If you annualize that, it's 3465 yards, 27 TD, 18 INT, 4 wins, 3 losses. Those are pretty good numbers for a 25-year-old QB. They are way better than the numbers Collins put up in his third year in the league (2124 yards, 12 TD, 21 INT). The expectations some people have had of Boller, starting as a rookie QB on a team with only one decent receiver (and him injured), have simply been too high. He looks a lot more like he's on the verge of a breakout than on the verge of getting run out of town. And Collins has shown nothing since the Clinton administration.

You can make the argument for McNair. He's a former league MVP and a difference maker. At this point in his career, it still would seem foolish to me to bring him in unless you think you're Super Bowl ready.

IMO he has moved up. They have not signed anyone. I thought they were going to move fast and get one the the top FA's. Collins at his age IMO wouldnt be a good move. They could always bring back A Wright...
That was my take on the situation as well.I think I remember reading right after the regular season concluded that BAL was going to bring in a vet to push Boller so this quote is of no surprise to me at the least. If McNair eventually ends up in BAL then he'll be the starter period, but if Collins is signed I don't think they'll pull Boller until he plays poorly in the regular season.

I'm still as convinced as so many others seem to be that he's going to be a failure. The guy is 25 y/o. People sure have a short leash with these young QB's.

The issue with Boller is pressure. He did have a few good games last year, but they were only after the Ravens were eliminated from the playoffs. I think the Collins signing would be great for Boller, give him a vet QB that has been to a SB should help quite a bit.

IIRC, Boller had a good couple of consecutive games last year, but then in the last game reverted back to his inconsistent self.

As others have said, I don't think Billick totally believes in him anymore and is looking for someone to push him.

IIRC, Boller had a good couple of consecutive games last year, but then in the last game reverted back to his inconsistent self.
He had 5 games in a row with at least 200 yards and a TD. Three of those games were three-TD games.

He had 5 games in a row with at least 200 yards and a TD. Three of those games were three-TD games.
First of all, no he didnt. 198yds is not > 200yds; he also had 0 TD in that same game. second, the same way we cant throw out long runs in evaluationg Rbs, you cant subjectively take a 5 game stretch (which was NOT that impressive anyway) and ignore the other 4 (5 actually) sub 200 yard games wherein he had a 1-7 TD-INT ratio. Face it: Boller's 2005 statline goes from horrible to almost average to horrible again. If you want to talk about potential, fine. Don't post blatantly false and easily disproved stats.

First of all, no he didnt. 198yds is not > 200yds; he also had 0 TD in that same game. second, the same way we cant throw out long runs in evaluationg Rbs, you cant subjectively take a 5 game stretch (which was NOT that impressive anyway) and ignore the other 4 (5 actually) sub 200 yard games wherein he had a 1-7 TD-INT ratio. Face it: Boller's 2005 statline goes from horrible to almost average to horrible again. If you want to talk about potential, fine. Don't post blatantly false and easily disproved stats.
Gee, I get credit for rushing yards and TDs, too. (He had 209 total yards and a rushing TD in the game where he had 198 passing yards). That five-game stretch was not "almost average"; Boller was a top-5 QB during that stretch, averaging 20.9 PPG by FBG scoring. He had exactly three poor statistical games in 2005: game 1 when he got injured, game 10 which was his first game back from injury, and game 17 which was against the #4 passing defense.

Consider also that in his first two years, he had just one game with more than two TDs; in less than 9 full games in 2005, he had three 3-TD games. He has clearly improved and shown the ability to produce at a high level; consistency will come with time.

Gee, I get credit for rushing yards and TDs, too. (He had 209 total yards and a rushing TD in the game where he had 198 passing yards). That five-game stretch was not "almost average"; Boller was a top-5 QB during that stretch, averaging 20.9 PPG by FBG scoring. He had exactly three poor statistical games in 2005: game 1 when he got injured, game 10 which was his first game back from injury, and game 17 which was against the #4 passing defense.

Consider also that in his first two years, he had just one game with more than two TDs; in less than 9 full games in 2005, he had three 3-TD games. He has clearly improved and shown the ability to produce at a high level; consistency will come with time.
Thats more than a little stretch but whatever.... Kerry Collins had great stretches and games last year, and I think we both can at least agree that Collins is not a good QB, no matter what we think of Boller. He had 2 good games, both against bad defenses. Again, you also continue to ignore the other 4-5 BAD games (depending on your POV). And quit with the outright BS. A quick check of the final who's hot list shows that Boller didn't crack the top 5 till week 17 when top guys like Manning weren't playing. Thats not a 5 game stretch. C'mon dud, this is a fun debate! don;t make it so easy! :P

Gee, I get credit for rushing yards and TDs, too. (He had 209 total yards and a rushing TD in the game where he had 198 passing yards).
Are you trying to suggest that Boller is enough of a scrambling threat that those rushing yards and TD were not a mere fluke? What's next? Are you going to give him credit for the penalty yardage his team gets when he draws defensive linemen offsides too? :loco:

And quit with the outright BS. A quick check of the final who's hot list shows that Boller didn't crack the top 5 till week 17 when top guys like Manning weren't playing. Thats not a 5 game stretch. C'mon dud, this is a fun debate! don;t make it so easy! :P
Boller was the #5 QB in fantasy points from weeks 12-16. That's a fact. Peyton Manning would have been ahead of Boller if he'd played the whole time, but still, that leaves Boller as #6 at worst over the time period. If you slice it as weeks 13-16 or 14-16, Boller was #4, and if you slice it as weeks 15-16 (fantasy playoffs), Boller was the #1 fantasy QB. (And the Ravens won both games). Starting in week 11, the Ravens won four games; one of those was against the Super Bowl champion Steelers, and in two of the others Boller engineered fourth-quarter scoring drives to put his team ahead. The fourth win was against the #1 pass defense in the league, and Boller put up 261 total yards and three TDs in a blowout.Obviously those are small sample sizes. But just as obviously, they represent a level of production that Boller had not shown in his career up to that point. Could it be a fluke? Possibly. Am I predicting that Boller will be a top-5 QB in 2006? Definitely not. But I think it's a lot more likely that those performances are a sign of a very young QB starting to come around, than that they were flukes.

I certainly think there's no way the Ravens will bring in a 12-year veteran with nothing but mediocre performances to his name to oust their young project who, at the very least, showed promise in the second half of the year.

I know a thing or two about football but I get feelings about certain players and I'm usually right.
:excited: :excited: :excited:
:bye: jwvdcwI guess you only use that name during the season when your Redskins are losing.
:confused:
Just kind of funny we haven't seen jwvdcw since Feb 1st and you joined Jan 31st and just jumped right in with the same kind of outrageous claims shtick. I guess we'll just have to wait and see.

Boller was the #5 QB in fantasy points from weeks 12-16. That's a fact. Peyton Manning would have been ahead of Boller if he'd played the whole time, but still, that leaves Boller as #6 at worst over the time period. If you slice it as weeks 13-16 or 14-16, Boller was #4, and if you slice it as weeks 15-16 (fantasy playoffs), Boller was the #1 fantasy QB. (And the Ravens won both games). Starting in week 11, the Ravens won four games; one of those was against the Super Bowl champion Steelers, and in two of the others Boller engineered fourth-quarter scoring drives to put his team ahead. The fourth win was against the #1 pass defense in the league, and Boller put up 261 total yards and three TDs in a blowout.

Obviously those are small sample sizes. But just as obviously, they represent a level of production that Boller had not shown in his career up to that point. Could it be a fluke? Possibly. Am I predicting that Boller will be a top-5 QB in 2006? Definitely not. But I think it's a lot more likely that those performances are a sign of a very young QB starting to come around, than that they were flukes.

I certainly think there's no way the Ravens will bring in a 12-year veteran with nothing but mediocre performances to his name to oust their young project who, at the very least, showed promise in the second half of the year.
:sigh: No, he wasn't. Week 12, Boller was #10. Week 13: #10. Week 14: #16. Week 15: #2. Week 16: #1. Both of those games were against horrible defenses, so yes, they were an abberation, not the norm. and before you try it again, that #1 pass defense was BS too: Min was the 22nd passing defense in the 2005 NFL.

You're just throwing #### out there trying to make me look it up, aren't you?

:sigh: No, he wasn't. Week 12, Boller was #10. Week 13: #10. Week 14: #16. Week 15: #2. Week 16: #1.

Both of those games were against horrible defenses, so yes, they were an abberation, not the norm. and before you try it again, that #1 pass defense was BS too: Min was the 22nd passing defense in the 2005 NFL.

You're just throwing #### out there trying to make me look it up, aren't you?
I'm measuring cumulative points. Go check out Data Dominator if you don't believe me.And it was Green Bay, not Minnesota, that was the #1 pass defense.

Thats more than a little stretch but whatever.... Kerry Collins had great stretches and games last year, and I think we both can at least agree that Collins is not a good QB, no matter what we think of Boller. He had 2 good games, both against bad defenses. Again, you also continue to ignore the other 4-5 BAD games (depending on your POV). And quit with the outright BS. A quick check of the final who's hot list shows that Boller didn't crack the top 5 till week 17 when top guys like Manning weren't playing. Thats not a 5 game stretch. C'mon dud, this is a fun debate! don;t make it so easy! :P
Kerry Collins is a former #5 pick(so we know he has tons of natural talent), he is a veteran, and he has taken a fairly average team all the way to the Super Bowl. Hes no super star, but hes not trash either.

I know a thing or two about football but I get feelings about certain players and I'm usually right.
:bye: jwvdcwI guess you only use that name during the season when your Redskins are losing.
Just kind of funny we haven't seen jwvdcw since Feb 1st and you joined Jan 31st and just jumped right in with the same kind of outrageous claims shtick. I guess we'll just have to wait and see.
Yeah, I know- I switched user names. I've told everyone that many times.What 'outrageous claims' have I made?

Yeah, I know- I switched user names. I've told everyone that many times.What 'outrageous claims' have I made?
The whole betting thread over there------------------------------------->.So when did you tell everyone?

:link:

I figured it out all on my own. :patownback:

Why is blooer on anyone's cheatsheet?
Fixed. And because every NFL player has value. If they should be drafted depends on scoring system, roster size, # of teams, etc.
fixed back to the way it should be because he is garbage and has no value in anything other than a 32 team FFL league, and if he is on your team, prepare for a horrid year.

Why is blooer on anyone's cheatsheet?
Fixed. And because every NFL player has value. If they should be drafted depends on scoring system, roster size, # of teams, etc.
fixed back to the way it should be because he is garbage and has no value in anything other than a 32 team FFL league, and if he is on your team, prepare for a horrid year.
care to explain what a "blooer" is then? link? anything?

Ever see that play where he is scrambling and the ball just falls out of his hand. Then later he proceeds to do the incredible by just heaving teh ball up for grabs while in FG range for an interception before the half and they pan over to Billick who has that dumbfounded look of 'we drafted this loser kyle blooer.'

Just to jog your memory. It was vs Denver: Boller threw for 251 yards but turned it over three times -- including two awfully thrown interceptions with the Ravens in scoring range.

:-)58) K.Boller pass intended for T.Heap INTERCEPTED by N.Ferguson at DEN 0. Touchback

This one had Sharpe laughing so hard he may have fallen out of his chair.6:08) K.Boller sacked at BLT 45 for 0 yards. FUMBLES, RECOVERED by DEN-D.Veal at BLT 46. D.Veal to BLT 46 for no gain (M.Clayton).

THAT is Kyle BLOOER.

:lmao:

The whole betting thread over there------------------------------------->.So when did you tell everyone?

:link:

I figured it out all on my own. :patownback:
Whats outrageous about the betting thing? I did it last year, 3 people took the bet, and a good time was had by all. Not sure what the problem with that is.I've stated many times who I am. Heres one:

http://forums.footballguys.com/forum/index...howtopic=223718

Ever see that play where he is scrambling and the ball just falls out of his hand. Then later he proceeds to do the incredible by just heaving teh ball up for grabs while in FG range for an interception before the half and they pan over to Billick who has that dumbfounded look of 'we drafted this loser kyle blooer.'

Just to jog your memory. It was vs Denver: Boller threw for 251 yards but turned it over three times -- including two awfully thrown interceptions with the Ravens in scoring range.

:-)58) K.Boller pass intended for T.Heap INTERCEPTED by N.Ferguson at DEN 0. Touchback

This one had Sharpe laughing so hard he may have fallen out of his chair.6:08) K.Boller sacked at BLT 45 for 0 yards. FUMBLES, RECOVERED by DEN-D.Veal at BLT 46. D.Veal to BLT 46 for no gain (M.Clayton).

THAT is Kyle BLOOER.

:lmao:
:confused: That still didn't explain what the word "blooer" means in any way, shape, or form.

:confused: That still didn't explain what the word "blooer" means in any way, shape, or form.
Be glad I don't have any administrative powers on this forum. You'd be long banned for abuse of logical fallacies.I can't believe you even buy your own arguments? Cal Bear has consistently ripped you apart and you just ignore him and choose to revert back to your holy reasoning.

Quit being a :hophead: and start being more :nerd: . If you aren't going to concede defeat, at least don't keep trying to cloud this thread with more extensive research on your faulty theses.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread