What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

QB Russell Wilson, PIT (10 Viewers)

Not a big Wilson fan however...

-This sucks for the Seattle fan base unless they have soured completely on Wilson. You don't even really get a send off or one last season to say good bye and thanks for the memories. This is a guy that despite my criticisms is on everyone's 1st ballot HoF if I read the room correctly around here.

:mellow:

-This sucks for the Seattle fan base unless they have soured completely on Wilson. You don't even really get a send off or one last season to say good bye and thanks for the memories. This is a guy that despite my criticisms is on everyone's 1st ballot HoF if I read the room correctly around here.

Never said that was my POV, I downplayed his abilities for a long long time, hard to argue about Russ when he was in a Seattle uniform
Good try GM

Be careful what you wish for PIT fans. - signed Broncos fans and Russ' former teammates/coaches
yeah, how dare they get excited for an upgrade at one of the most important positions on the field
Not if he destroys the locker room for a third team
At anything other than a 1-year vet minimum contract, Russ is almost certainly a terrible signing.

But this is as low risk as it gets. They could cut him in training camp because TJ Watt doesn't like the way he dresses and it doesn't matter.

Never said that was my POV, I downplayed his abilities for a long long time, hard to argue about Russ when he was in a Seattle uniform
Good try GM

I was just looking back to when he signed with Denver and this post of your made me chuckle. I don't think there's a person alive who thinks he's a 1st ballot HOF now. It is INCREDIBLY hard to make the NFL HOF and he's not close, IMO. He'll need another SB win at least to get consideration.

We'll see. Wilson is the 21st highest rated QB based on PFR HOL Monitor Score. Everyone ranked above him is either in or will be in with the only two guys that would spark much discussion being Matt Ryan and Philip Rivers. There are 8 guys rated lower than him already in (plus Eli). Wilson probably isn't a first-ballot lock, but I suspect he will get in.

Be careful what you wish for PIT fans. - signed Broncos fans and Russ' former teammates/coaches
I am not sure that many Steelers fans were wishing for Wilson or think he is an elite QB. He should be an upgrade from Pickett, is signed for league minimum, and can be cut at any point if need be with minimal hit against the cap.

There really isn't much downside in the move and the team can use their draft and cap space on other areas of need for at least one year.

No, that's not clear at all, for reasons already stated
You imagine he doesn't care about money. That's your reason. FInd a fact, and send it over.

He got the best deal he could: One year minimum.
?? He's betting on himself. He's making 40+ million this year.
By taking a one year deal for basically no money counting on Pittsburgh's cap, it gives them (and Russ) the best chance for success, and he can sign a deal next year.

The Steelers got him basically free, but you think he absolutely could not have gotten any guaranteed money for 2025?? Like, not even a couple million?
Yeesh

We'll see. Wilson is the 21st highest rated QB based on PFR HOL Monitor Score. Everyone ranked above him is either in or will be in with the only two guys that would spark much discussion being Matt Ryan and Philip Rivers. There are 8 guys rated lower than him already in (plus Eli). Wilson probably isn't a first-ballot lock, but I suspect he will get in.

The 8 guys rated below him played in a much different era for QBs than he has played in. Voters know that. I also think that with only 1 SB win, it's not enough to offset some of the other knocks against him and his 2022 season will be judged harshly by the voters. Rightfully so, he stunk.

He's also going to be eligible around the same time frame as Aaron Rodgers who will be a 1st ballot HOF. And, to your point, the Matt Ryans, Eli Mannings and Philip Rivers will continue to get nominations which could hurt Wilson. Matt Stafford too might stand in his way.

The average HOFm score for QBs is 108. Wilson is at 88.37 AND TRENDING THE WRONG WAY. I suppose a career resurgence is possible, but going up against Baltimore and Cleveland 4 times.....yeah, good luck, Russ. And, about Ryan and Rivers, they have scores of 106 and 98 respectively. Wilson DOES have the SB and another close loss (which he caused by throwing the pick).

I don't see it for Russ. I FOR SURE don't see 1st ballot.

Wilson is at 88.37 AND TRENDING THE WRONG WAY
IMO, there are too many HOFers. There are several that I never would have inducted into my HOF, so I am in no rush for Russ to get in. That being said, I don't believe HOF Monitor Score ebbs and flows and goes up and down. I believe it's a compilation of points based on a formula . . . meaning that a player accumulates points and does not lose them with poor play. Points are awarded based on things like individual honors and awards, championships, and career totals. Even a mediocre Wilson will continue to accumulate more points the longer he plays. If he plays a couple more seasons, he will likely pass the 4 guys in front of him on the HOF Monitor Score list. Even with a losing record with the Broncos, he still has a .614 career winning percentage as a starter. I don't think he really needs to do much more other than play another 2-3 years . . . and he might not even need that to get in.

IMO, there are too many HOFers. There are several that I never would have inducted into my HOF, so I am in no rush for Russ to get in. That being said, I don't believe HOF Monitor Score ebbs and flows and goes up and down. I believe it's a compilation of points based on a formula . . . meaning that a player accumulates points and does not lose them with poor play. Points are awarded based on things like individual honors and awards, championships, and career totals. Even a mediocre Wilson will continue to accumulate more points the longer he plays. If he plays a couple more seasons, he will likely pass the 4 guys in front of him on the HOF Monitor Score list. Even with a losing record with the Broncos, he still has a .614 career winning percentage as a starter. I don't think he really needs to do much more other than play another 2-3 years . . . and he might not even need that to get in.

Interesting. I was not familiar with this score until today, but I find it odd that Wilson could have 2-3 more dismal years and it won't impact his score? That's dumb. You have to take the good with the bad, which is PROBABLY going to be an issue for Eli next year.

They take only 5 modern era candidates. That's not a lot of spots for a lot of really good eligible players and it's creating a logjam that's only going to get more congested. Antonio Gates, Reggie Wayne, Torry Holt just to name a few.....they're waiting to get in. You think Russ leapfrogs them? I don't buy it; not unless he finds a way to recreate the magic under an OC who just got fired for failing to utilize some of the best young talent in the NFL.

Last edited:
yeah, how dare they get excited for an upgrade at one of the most important positions on the field
Not if he destroys the locker room for a third team

Cutting him and his $1.2MM salary isn't a big deal. Not like this team has won a playoff game since 2016. It is 100% worth the gamble, especially given that Pickett just is a bust.

Good, cheap gamble for Pitt. I thought for sure Wilson would be getting at least some new money. Likely just kicking the can down the road on QB for another year but they are drafting too late and its super expensive to trade up.

No, that's not clear at all, for reasons already stated
You imagine he doesn't care about money. That's your reason. FInd a fact, and send it over.

He got the best deal he could: One year minimum.
?? He's betting on himself. He's making 40+ million this year.
By taking a one year deal for basically no money counting on Pittsburgh's cap, it gives them (and Russ) the best chance for success, and he can sign a deal next year.

The Steelers got him basically free, but you think he absolutely could not have gotten any guaranteed money for 2025?? Like, not even a couple million?
Yeesh

I agree with this. He’s easily worth a backup pay of $10MM next year so he didn’t like whatever 25 offers were and said I’ll be back next spring to take the bags.

Interesting. I was not familiar with this score until today, but I find it odd that Wilson could have 2-3 more dismal years and it won't impact his score? That's dumb. You have to take the good with the bad, which is PROBABLY going to be an issue for Eli next year.

They take only 5 modern era candidates. That's not a lot of spots for a lot of really good eligible players and it's creating a logjam that's only going to get more congested. Antonio Gates, Reggie Wayne, Torry Holt just to name a few.....they're waiting to get in. You think Russ leapfrogs them? I don't buy it; not unless he finds a way to recreate the magic under an OC who just got fired for failing to utilize some of the best young talent in the NFL.

Look at it like this.
  • In the past 6 HOF classes, only 1 QB has been inducted - Peyton in the class of 2021.
  • We should expect Eli, Brees, and Roethlisberger to each get in within 1-2 years of becoming eligible in the classes of 2025, 2026, and 2027, respectively.
  • Brady will be a first ballot inductee in the class of 2028.
  • We should expect Rodgers to get in first ballot whenever he retires... that means class of 2030 or later.
  • IMO Rivers will get in, but who knows how long it will take after he becomes eligible in the class of 2026.
So for the classes of 2018 to 2030 to 2032 or so -- 13-15 classes -- that is no more than 7 QBs who stand to be inducted, assuming Rivers makes it during that window. If he doesn't, 6 in 13-15 classes. In the golden era of QB play.

Then Wilson will likely become eligible sometime around the class of 2033 or later. Then it will be a number of years before the likes of Mahomes, Jackson, Allen, et al. will become eligible. IMO the timing makes it more likely Wilson will make it. The only QB I didn't name above who might contend for a non-senior spot in a similar timeframe as Wilson would be Stafford (assuming Ryan is out), but Wilson is more worthy than Stafford.

As of today, Wilson's resume includes (all statistics regular season only unless otherwise noted):
  • 2020 Walter Payton MOY
  • 3 top 4 finishes in OPOY
  • 2nd team All Pro in 2019
  • 9 Pro Bowls
  • #5 in consecutive games started (QBs only)
  • #19 in career passes completed
  • #20 in career passes attempted
  • #20 in career completion percentage
  • #19 in career passing yards
  • #14 in career YPA
  • #14 in career total offense
  • #134 in career rushing yards (all positions)
  • #3 in career rushing yards (QBs only)
  • #3 in career rushing yards, postseason (QBs only)
  • #5 in career yards per rushing attempt (all positions)
  • #13 in career TD passes
  • #15 in career TD percentage
  • #8 in career interception percentage
  • #4 in career NFL passer rating
  • #10 in career game winning drives
  • #9 in career comebacks
  • Made 2 Super Bowls, won 1
Some of those rate stats will probably come down, but the accumulated stats will go up. IMO it's a pretty impressive resume, all things considered. I also think the 5 year waiting period helps a guy like Wilson, as I think his negatives are more likely to fade over that time than his positives.

Look at it like this.
  • In the past 6 HOF classes, only 1 QB has been inducted - Peyton in the class of 2021.
  • We should expect Eli, Brees, and Roethlisberger to each get in within 1-2 years of becoming eligible in the classes of 2025, 2026, and 2027, respectively.
  • We should expect Rodgers to get in first ballot whenever he retires... that means class of 2030 or later.
  • IMO Rivers will get in, but who knows how long it will take after he becomes eligible in the class of 2026.
So for the classes of 2018 to 2030 to 2032 or so -- 13-15 classes -- that is no more than 7 QBs who stand to be inducted, assuming Rivers makes it during that window. If he doesn't, 6 in 13-15 classes. In the golden era of QB play.

Then Wilson will likely become eligible sometime around the class of 2033 or later. Then it will be a number of years before the likes of Mahomes, Jackson, Allen, et al. will become eligible. IMO the timing makes it more likely Wilson will make it. The only QB I didn't name above who might contend for a non-senior spot in a similar timeframe as Wilson would be Stafford (assuming Ryan is out), but Wilson is more worthy than Stafford.

As of today, Wilson's resume includes (all statistics regular season only unless otherwise noted):
  • 2020 Walter Payton MOY
  • 9 Pro Bowls
  • #14 in career YPA
  • #9 in career comebacks
Some of those rate stats will probably come down, but the accumulated stats will go up. IMO it's a pretty impressive resume, all things considered. I also think the 5 year waiting period helps a guy like Wilson, as I think his negatives are more likely to fade over that time than his positives.
Forget stats for a minute. How many years was he even the best player on his own team? When he WAS the best player….how successful was the team?

Look at it like this.

• 2020 Walter Payton MOY
  • 9 Pro Bowls
  • #14 in career YPA
  • #9 in career comebacks
Forget stats for a minute. How many years was he even the best player on his own team? When he WAS the best player….how successful was the team?

How many years was Eli the best player on his own team? Seems like a question HOF voters rarely (if ever) ask themselves.

Look at it like this.

• 2020 Walter Payton MOY
  • 9 Pro Bowls
  • #14 in career YPA
  • #9 in career comebacks

How many years was Eli the best player on his own team? Seems like a question HOF voters rarely (if ever) ask themselves.
I don’t think Eli belongs in the HOF either

With regards to the Hall of Fame, I think the narrative works against Wilson at this point more than any stats work in his favor. I think he needs a resurgence and a return to be really good/great again to give himself a real chance. Fair or not, I think many are now forgetting just how good he really was for close to a decade in Seattle, plus many foolishly think that he was just along for the ride when they won the Super Bowl (the Legion of Boom gets most of the credit). Even when talking about their offense, Marshawn Lynch seemingly gets more credit for it than Wilson. I don't think he's getting in without somewhat of a return to form.

Is Russell having second thoughts? He had to know in advance, right?

I doubt it.

When Russ signed he figured he had to “compete” with Kenny? So now he “competes” with Fields right?

In either scenario Pickett/Fields only play if Russ gets hurt, Russ stinks, or Steelers feel they’re out of it.

IMO nothing changes for Russ.

Justin Fields will clearly be the guy at some point this season. No doubt there will controversy out of the gate. I can't see the Steeler fans being patient watching Russ go three and out when they have a much more dynamic option on the bench.

I guess it’s possible but this is coming from a Pittsburgh reporter.

WHICH Pittsburgh reporter? If it's Dulac, he basically reports whatever the team tells him to. The team could tell him to report the sky was green, and he'd do it.

None of that matters anyway, really. As Steelers fans are well aware, Mike Tomlin is Mike Tomlin. Wilson's signing is a total "Tomlin" move. He's done this before: Former megastar, veteran QB needs an opportunity to "reboot"/extend his career, in hopes he catches lightning in a bottle. It didn't work with Vick (and was a touch different since they still had a productive (but oft injured) Ben at the time), but that was certainly the hope. All local honks back then basically confirmed that Tomlin was the heavy, heavy impetus behind that signing, not Kevin Colbert.

In Coach T/the Steelers' minds, it probably amounts to nothing more than this: "We want a playoff win. Now." If Wilson pops and gets them one and then leaves, the team benefits (comp picks, etc) and has Fields (whom Tomlin has an absolute "lust" for) to turn to in a year. If Wilson sucks, same outcome. If Wilson pops and gets them a playoff win and they decide to retain him for the remainder of his career, they have an asset in Fields that they could move for other assets if they chose to. I am not saying I agree with any of this. I am merely stating I think this is where THEY are coming from.

The only way Fields plays more than 50% of the snaps this season, in my mind at least, is due to a Russ injury. They'll give up less compensation if he doesn't, so they have a motivation to limit his playing time baked into the scenario already. He's probably going to get some packages in the RZ/etc, but if Russ stays healthy? Fields remains #2. Tomlin looked like a ****ing butcher's dog the day they had the presser to announce they signed Russ. He wants Wilson to start this year, make no mistake.

Last edited:
ounts to nothing more than this: "We want a playoff win. Now." If Wilson pops and gets them one and then leaves, the team benefits (comp picks, etc) and has Fields (whom Tomlin has an absolute "lust" for) to turn to in a year. If Wilson sucks, same outcome. If Wilson pops and gets them a playoff win and they decide to retain him for the remainder of his career, they have an asset in Fields that they could move for other assets if they chose to. I am not saying I agree with any of this. I am merely stating I think this is where THEY are coming from.
The Steelers aren't going to pick up Fields' $25mm 5th year option, because that would limit their future flexibility vis-a-vis Wilson. So both Fields and Wilson will be free agents in 2025.

If Wilson "pops and gets a playoff win and the Steelers decide to retain him," then there is no way Fields stays. He's young and will leave for greener pastures. He won't be "an asset the Steelers can move for other assets."

Assuming no injuries and decent on-field performance, whichever QB finishes 2024 as the starter will get a new contract for 2025 and beyond.

The other guy is gone because he won't want to sign a contract to be a backup with the same team that just benched him.

Last edited:
Russ is now the back up in Pittsburgh
From what I read Fields has been told he will be the backup. Of course if Wilson is bad, Fields will get a chance.
With every 2nd QB signed so far this statement has come out by the team. It’s a canned PR thing, and I believe it’s meaningless.
I guess it’s possible but this is coming from a Pittsburgh reporter.
It's also coming from Tomlin's mouth.

If Wilson "pops and gets a playoff win and the Steelers decide to retain him,"
This is a real possibility and the worst thing that could happen for the Steelers. The Steelers won a decent amount of games last year with terrible QB's. They will certainly win games this year as well. If I'm a Steelers fan I would hope to commit to Fields long term or neither of these guy's.

If Wilson "pops and gets a playoff win and the Steelers decide to retain him," then there is no way Fields stays. He's young and will leave for greener pastures. He won't be "an asset the Steelers can move for other assets."

This is accurate, as I forgot about JFs contract. Its early here.

The rest i'll stand by. Tomlin wants Russ starting in '24 if he's not hurt.

And yeah, come 2025 only one guy is on the team, clearly. Likely Fields, since I dont think their offense is getting them the playoff win Rooney covets regardless of who the QB is.

Users who are viewing this thread