What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

QB Sam Howell, SEA (1 Viewer)

Brent Sobleski
@brentsobleski

For Washington, a logical move. Team is not going back to Wentz. Heinicke is limited and a pending FA. Commanders aren't in a great position to draft a top prospect with 16th pick. And Howell does present some upside. Build around him. See what he's got. Might strike gold.
If Anthony Richardson shows well in the draft process and is available to the Commanders, even if there is the need to bring him along slowly, his traits are so high that he cannot be passed on in the middle of round 1.

Again, that’s a big if, but Richardson, at least from a traits perspective, has everything a modern QB needs. He certainly is raw and will need a fair amount of polishing, but if he has the maturity needed and shows to be receptive to coaching, he has an upside Howell just doesn’t posses.

Agree with this...also gives you two chances between Howell and Richardson to try to figure out the position without having to trade picks or give out big $.

Brent Sobleski
@brentsobleski

For Washington, a logical move. Team is not going back to Wentz. Heinicke is limited and a pending FA. Commanders aren't in a great position to draft a top prospect with 16th pick. And Howell does present some upside. Build around him. See what he's got. Might strike gold.
If Anthony Richardson shows well in the draft process and is available to the Commanders, even if there is the need to bring him along slowly, his traits are so high that he cannot be passed on in the middle of round 1.

Again, that’s a big if, but Richardson, at least from a traits perspective, has everything a modern QB needs. He certainly is raw and will need a fair amount of polishing, but if he has the maturity needed and shows to be receptive to coaching, he has an upside Howell just doesn’t posses.
if I were a Commanders fan I would hope like hell not.

I'm hoping for one of the top 2 rated O lineman.

Yup. OL would probably be the best choice. I'd honestly be ok if Mayer is there too. All though it might be better to trade down and theoretically could still get him some picks later. But I think he looks like the real deal. I'm not going anywhere near Richardson or Levis with a 1st round pick. MAYBE a 2nd for Levis. I'm not even sure I'd be ok with my team using a 2nd on Richardson. The risk is too big, and while he's got traits, he's never show the ability to keep it together and and his efficiency is just, not good. There's been way too many 1st round QB busts the past 5 years or so. After Stround and Young, I'd much rather use that 1st round pick elsewhere.

Taking an Oline much more important and a much better pick than taking the risk on a QB unnecessarily. They put a good Oline in front of Howell, he'll be terrific. No reason he should have fell to the 5th last years draft, but then, that whole draft was screwy with the QB situation. But he should have been the 1st QB off the board. It's crazy 2 years leading up to the draft, he's being talked about as the number 1 pick, then he has a less good season, not even a bad season, and suddenly he's falling out of the top 4 rounds. So bogus.

Howell is legit, and I have no more faith in guys like Richardson than I do Howell. Actually, in Richardson's case, way less. And sure, Richardson got the traits that if he hits he'll offer a lot of skill, but I don't like his chances. We've seen a ton of QB prospects bust out the past 5 years and I think that has a lot to do with why teams were hesitant to invest early in QBs. Not sure we will see that same thing happen this year, but I could see Richardson and Levis not being taken in the 1st. I do think Texans are pretty much guaranteed to take one of Stroud or Young. And the Colts the other. After that, it's a crapshoot.
I think Howell was way underrated because of his drop in the daft and slightly less good pre-draft season. And the tools are all there. I honestly don't think Richardson or Levis could offer more, just in terms of all around ability. Sure maybe Richardson does some things better, more athletic, size and all that. But if Howell throws 5 yards shorter in the long run, so what? He's got a great arm. He can get the ball to anywhere he needs to on the field, with immense heat and accuracy. Richardson might have more power, but it just isn't necessary. And as far as running the ball, same deal. Maybe Richardson is better, but Howell is pretty fantastic at it. And in the long run, I just am not at all optimistic Richardson will succeed. I don't even think he's close to efficient enough. I've seen some compare him, in terms of draft class, to Josh Allen. And while there are similarities, I just don't think Richardson is close to as good a prospect as Allen was.

Either way, I would MUCH rather have Howell and a top OL or Mayer, than Richardson and Howell. Gotta make a choice . If they spent 1st round draft capital on a QB, it would pretty much mean Howell is out. And right now, it seems they want Howell in. So I think there is zero chance they spend a 1st round pick on a QB. Or even a 2nd. MAYBE they take a flier on a 4th or 5th round QB. I actually like Hooker nearly as much as Levi and I think he might be a safer pick than Richardson even. If it weren't for his injury at least. But maybe WC can get someone like Hooker or McKee between the 3-5. But that's the earliest I think this team should waste capital on a QB. Because I really have a good feeling about Howell. He just looked poised, has a rocket arm and can get around the field with his feet. And he's accurate. They got an absolute steal when he fell to them in the 5th. Absolute steal.

Last edited:
Seems premature but it will indeed be very interesting to see who ends up there as OC. Lot of receiving talent there.
I'm not saying I want them to do it, but if they drafted Mayer in the 1st, what a receiving core they would have, along with 2 RBs that can catch it too. I'd argue top 5-10 in the entire league with all those weapons.
Yup. Mayer or an OL. And I think Howell and Dotson are going to become BFFs soon enough.

But he should have been the 1st QB off the board. It's crazy 2 years leading up to the draft, he's being talked about as the number 1 pick, then he has a less good season, not even a bad season, and suddenly he's falling out of the top 4 rounds.
I’m not a big college guy, but I do recall Howell being talked about as the potential #1
overall pick. Did he have that bad of a season to drop that much in the draft?

Scouts/GMs often whiff, but has to be some concern why all teams passed 4+ times on him. Going forward, he’s going to have to hit early, because with little draft capital invested in him, he can be easily replaced.

Did he have that bad of a season to drop that much in the draft?
He lost a decent amount of talent around him to the NFL going into his last season, and his numbers suffered.

I was still shocked that the Panthers took Corral ahead of him. Everyone who watched ACC football knew Howell was a top QB and a fierce competitor. For the pro team in the same state to pass on him confused a lot of folks. Rhule's legacy on QB choices is going to haunt that franchise for a while.

He lost a decent amount of talent around him to the NFL going into his last season, and his numbers suffered.

I was still shocked that the Panthers took Corral ahead of him. Everyone who watched ACC football knew Howell was a top QB and a fierce competitor. For the pro team in the same state to pass on him confused a lot of folks. Rhule's legacy on QB choices is going to haunt that franchise for a while.
Thanks - good insight. There’s a lot to like about Howell from that last game, but unfortunately it was just that. While the team seems to be saying to prospective OCs that it’s Howell’s job to lose, I can’t imagine he won’t have significant competition with little investment in him. Said competition and who the new OC is will be interesting developments in assessing Howell’s future value.

Thanks - good insight. There’s a lot to like about Howell from that last game, but unfortunately it was just that. While the team seems to be saying to prospective OCs that it’s Howell’s job to lose, I can’t imagine he won’t have significant competition with little investment in him. Said competition and who the new OC is will be interesting developments in assessing Howell’s future value.

It is an odd situation...Rivera appears to be gong with him but he is an HC on thin ice and there will be new Ownership so results in 2023 are going to be important if Rivera is to keep his job...Howell is a 5th round pick, not a top 10 pick so not sure how long of a leash he will have should he start off the year slow and you have two veteran alternatives on the bench in Wentz and Heinicke...first step is to get thru the draft and FA without adding another quality rookie or veteran for obvious reasons...it does appear that is the direction they are heading in right now but this is the WFT we are talking about so who knows...I think anyone who grabbed Howell in SF or 2 QB leagues has their fingers crossed because the pathway to him becoming a legit starter is there, but there is still a long way to go until you can be comfortable with that.

Howell is a 5th round pick, not a top 10 pick so not sure how long of a leash he will have should he start off the year slow and you have two veteran alternatives on the bench in Wentz and Heinicke
Sounds like Wentz will be a cap casualty and IIRC Heinecke is an UFA. If both leave, that could be bad for Howell with the cupboard bare. If Heinecke is retained though, that could be good for Sam.

Howell is a 5th round pick, not a top 10 pick so not sure how long of a leash he will have should he start off the year slow and you have two veteran alternatives on the bench in Wentz and Heinicke
Sounds like Wentz will be a cap casualty and IIRC Heinecke is an UFA. If both leave, that could be bad for Howell with the cupboard bare. If Heinecke is retained though, that could be good for Sam.

Agreed...those two are not long-term solutions so they would only be viable if Howell flops...if they both leave than they have to bring in another quality QB...Howell has potential but there is no way they can go into next year without having other options, that could be a disaster...it's one of those the devil you know is better than the devil you don't know situations.

But he should have been the 1st QB off the board. It's crazy 2 years leading up to the draft, he's being talked about as the number 1 pick, then he has a less good season, not even a bad season, and suddenly he's falling out of the top 4 rounds.
I’m not a big college guy, but I do recall Howell being talked about as the potential #1

Scouts/GMs often whiff, but has to be some concern why all teams passed 4+ times on him. Going forward, he’s going to have to hit early, because with little draft capital invested in him, he can be easily replaced.
The entire offense went into a funk after losing Javonte Williams, Michael Carter, Dyami Brown, and Dazz Newsome to the Draft. Sammy just had a down year after lighting up the ACC for the first 2 years.

Last edited:

Yeah that was disappointing. I'm from North Carolina but have always been a lukewarm Panthers fan. I was ready to order my #7 jersey, and become a proper Panthers fan.

The entire offense went into a funk after losing Javonte Williams, Michael Carter, Dyami Brown, and Dazz Newsome to the Draft. Sammy just had a bad year after lighting up the ACC for the first 2 years.

That makes sense but there has to be other reasons (and I don’t pretend to know them) why he slid to the 5th in a QB starved league…you look at Levis and he had issues this year and his value actually appears to be climbing…Lock is another one who’s value took a big hit but he still went in the second round…it just seems so odd that he lasted till the 5th when you see guys like Kellen Mond taken in the 3rd or Ian Book or Jacob Eason in the 4th.

The entire offense went into a funk after losing Javonte Williams, Michael Carter, Dyami Brown, and Dazz Newsome to the Draft. Sammy just had a bad year after lighting up the ACC for the first 2 years.
Yup. I wouldn't even call it 'bad", it was just less good than his previous 2 years. He actually did a really good job with al the problems they were having, he still was productive. Just compared to the previous two seasons, it scared a lot of people obviously.

If we go by any normal year, I think all of Ridder, Howell, Pickett and Willis would have been 1st round picks. And maybe Corral. But all those guys are MILES better than the regular level of QB taken in these rounds like Mond, Book, Ryan Finley, Eason, Texans got lucky with Mills, etc... It's not even close. And Howell puts them all to shame. Yea for sure.

They said things about Howell falling about decision making and it having something to do with his meeting with teams, but I still couldn't get a clear reason, at least not one that made sense. I think the 2022 draft was a reaction to all the failed, 1st/2nd round QBs over the past like 10 years or so. 2020 class actually mostly worked out well thus far. But other years, no as much. Guys lauded as the next best, and sure things, or just worth a 1st round pick, Dwayne Haskins, Baker Mayfield, Darnold, Rosen, Z. Wilson; Wentz. Jordan Love (ok technically not a bust yet I guess), Trubisky (Obviously not worth 2nd overall pick taken before DWatson AND Mahomes), Kizer, Paxton Lynch, Christian Hackenberg etc... So 2022 seemed like some sort of OVERcorrection.

I'm very curious to see how teams react to last years draft, this year. Stroud and Young will go early, but the rest, I'm not sure. All though I could definitely see teams reaching for Richardson, Levis and McKee. And then someone's going to get a steal drafting Hooker late, who will prob fall due to his injury.

In the end though, I think both Washington and Atlanta got HUGE steals with Howell and Ridder. And now they won't have to invest in a QB in this draft class which both teams likely would have and really its like getting a free 1st round pick. Which is good because I think Commanders/Hawks avoided that really have a bad feeling about Young, like a Baker Mayfield feeling. The only 2 QBs in this upcoming class I'd feel comfortable with are Stround and Levi, and then I think a couple of guys who will go later like Hooker and McKee who could have real good value if they aren't reached on. I know i"m in the minority on that though and people absolutely love Young. And the talent is there sure. But he's not only short, he's also very slight, and slight and short QB's aren't so often effective. QB's at 5'11 are usually at least strong and dense, like Kyler, Wilson, otherwise there's a good chance he won't last very long. And Richardson forget it. Where Washington picks, they prob would have ended up with Richardson or Levis, and man I think they avoided a bullet there with Richardson at least. Plus I like Howell better than Levis anyway.

Last edited:
So what are his main short comings or negatives- processing, accuracy? Great mobility with arm strength, Fields light with less running but better accuracy??

Yup. I wouldn't even call it 'bad", it was just less good than his previous 2 years. He actually did a really good job with al the problems they were having, he still was productive. Just compared to the previous two seasons, it scared a lot of people obviously.

If we go by any normal year, I think all of Ridder, Howell, Pickett and Willis would have been 1st round picks. And maybe Corral. But all those guys are MILES better than the regular level of QB taken in these rounds like Mond, Book, Ryan Finley, Eason, Texans got lucky with Mills, etc... It's not even close. And Howell puts them all to shame. Yea for sure.

They said things about Howell falling about decision making and it having something to do with his meeting with teams, but I still couldn't get a clear reason, at least not one that made sense. I think the 2022 draft was a reaction to all the failed, 1st/2nd round QBs over the past like 10 years or so. 2020 class actually mostly worked out well thus far. But other years, no as much. Guys lauded as the next best, and sure things, or just worth a 1st round pick, Dwayne Haskins, Baker Mayfield, Darnold, Rosen, Z. Wilson; Wentz. Jordan Love (ok technically not a bust yet I guess), Trubisky (Obviously not worth 2nd overall pick taken before DWatson AND Mahomes), Kizer, Paxton Lynch, Christian Hackenberg etc... So 2022 seemed like some sort of OVERcorrection.

I'm very curious to see how teams react to last years draft, this year. Stroud and Young will go early, but the rest, I'm not sure. All though I could definitely see teams reaching for Richardson, Levis and McKee. And then someone's going to get a steal drafting Hooker late, who will prob fall due to his injury.

In the end though, I think both Washington and Atlanta got HUGE steals with Howell and Ridder. And now they won't have to invest in a QB in this draft class which both teams likely would have and really its like getting a free 1st round pick. Which is good because I think Commanders/Hawks avoided that really have a bad feeling about Young, like a Baker Mayfield feeling. The only 2 QBs in this upcoming class I'd feel comfortable with are Stround and Levi, and then I think a couple of guys who will go later like Hooker and McKee who could have real good value if they aren't reached on. I know i"m in the minority on that though and people absolutely love Young. And the talent is there sure. But he's not only short, he's also very slight, and slight and short QB's aren't so often effective. QB's at 5'11 are usually at least strong and dense, like Kyler, Wilson, otherwise there's a good chance he won't last very long. And Richardson forget it. Where Washington picks, they prob would have ended up with Richardson or Levis, and man I think they avoided a bullet there with Richardson at least. Plus I like Howell better than Levis anyway.
Good stuff.

Purdy is the new poster child of late round QBs that can emerge, although that can mainly be chalked up to the amazing 49ers infrastructure. Problem is that most teams invest so heavily in the QB position that it’s difficult for late round guys to show out unless due to injuries ahead of them.

I've stated I would draft a QB every year until I found one. No matter what team I was. And WAS does not assuredly have one. I would not trade picks to do it though. So at some point in this draft or post draft WAS should snag one.

Now if they aren't assuredly getting one better than Howell (and there is no proof ANY of them are including Stroud and Young), then better to wait until later picks and snag a QB like DTR, Martinez, etc. That type of player and develop them. Use the early picks on OL, LB, TE, and LB.

I think Rivera's job security after this year is a big impact item. So I expect him to make a play on Carr. Of course they will say Howell is the starter because nobody else is under contract, and even if Heinicke comes back he's the backup.

Frankly I'm surprised Howell wasn't drafted earlier. He's got an arm. He played in a pro style offense. He produced in college. It's weird how some guys height hurts their draft stock , but others like Bryce Young it is overlooked. I don't think scouts are very consistent in their evaluations. That line from Moneyball always comes up in my mind "People are overlooked for a variety of biased reasons and perceived flaws. Age, appearance, personality.". So true in all aspects of life.

I've stated I would draft a QB every year until I found one. No matter what team I was. And WAS does not assuredly have one. I would not trade picks to do it though. So at some point in this draft or post draft WAS should snag one.

Now if they aren't assuredly getting one better than Howell (and there is no proof ANY of them are including Stroud and Young), then better to wait until later picks and snag a QB like DTR, Martinez, etc. That type of player and develop them. Use the early picks on OL, LB, TE, and LB.

I think Rivera's job security after this year is a big impact item. So I expect him to make a play on Carr. Of course they will say Howell is the starter because nobody else is under contract, and even if Heinicke comes back he's the backup.

Frankly I'm surprised Howell wasn't drafted earlier. He's got an arm. He played in a pro style offense. He produced in college. It's weird how some guys height hurts their draft stock , but others like Bryce Young it is overlooked. I don't think scouts are very consistent in their evaluations. That line from Moneyball always comes up in my mind "People are overlooked for a variety of biased reasons and perceived flaws. Age, appearance, personality.". So true in all aspects of life.
Even if he turns out to be nothing much, that was one of the most egregious drops in draft history.

So what are his main short comings or negatives- processing, accuracy? Great mobility with arm strength, Fields light with less running but better accuracy??
I believe his height. That was the biggest knock against him coming out.

I believe so. He might not be the sharpest tool in the shed, and might have needed more time to really get the playbook down. But it definitely wasn't his physical tools, which are all there, and his field vision is quite good. But with an entire offseason now, and another training camp and preseason, he should be well equipped headed into next season.

I believe so. He might not be the sharpest tool in the shed, and might have needed more time to really get the playbook down. But it definitely wasn't his physical tools, which are all there, and his field vision is quite good. But with an entire offseason now, and another training camp and preseason, he should be well equipped headed into next season.
There must be something we cannot see that caused the fall, like you said the physical tools are there. Maybe he interviewed poorly or is a bit of an odd duck. Either way it will come down to how much patience Washington has with him. He could have a Daniel Jones type trajectory…but will he get four seasons to develop? That is rare for a franchise to provide especially with a coach whose seat is warming up. Howell will need to play well right away to keep the dream alive IMO. But based on his abilities I still am perplexed on how he lasted until the 5th but am rooting for him as he seems like a player who could be fun to watch.

From his NFL draft profile:

Overview
Stocky, three-year starter who plays with admirable confidence despite inconsistencies in important areas as a passer. Howell attacks the field working from deep to short when he's allowed. He's not a classic full-field reader at this point but has pocket poise and mobility to potentially develop in that area in the future. He muscles throws, hindering his accuracy on drive throws but has adequate arm strength and can expedite off-platform throws. Howell doesn't throw with nearly enough timing or ball placement, which forces wideouts into the boundaries or to break stride, limiting their YAC potential. He flashed impressive dual-threat talent in 2021, which should work in his favor. The 2021 tape was bumpy but his makeup is really good and improvement is likely with better pieces around him. Howell isn't wired for or suited to a ball-control passing attack and might need a vertical passing scheme capable of creating explosive plays in order to succeed.

NFL Comparison
Chase Daniel

That is not a flattering overview, despite the fact that this profile projected him as a round 2 pick. That description is what was evident on film. If he didn't interview well and/or came across as not being as intelligent as some QBs, I could easily see that combination dropping him into the later rounds.

Commanders HC Ron Rivera said QB Sam Howell "will start out as QB1" heading into the offseason.​

This will be fun to revisit after free agency and the draft have concluded. Entering what looks like a true make-or-break season, Rivera can ill-afford a fourth-straight sub .500 season with the Commanders, who could soon find themselves under new ownership. Rivera has reportedly told offensive coordinator candidates that Howell will "likely" be the starter in 2023, but the team should have some money to play with after the inevitable release of Carson Wentz. Rivera did note that the team hopes to bring in a veteran to help with Howell's growth, but they seem to be set on him leading the way this season -- at least for now. Once touted as a potential first round pick, Howell slipped all the way to the fifth-round of last year's draft, and didn't see any action until the final week of the season.
SOURCE: Profootballtalk on NBCSports.com
Feb 8, 2023, 5:04 PM ET

Bienemy coming aboard as OC seems like a positive for Howell if he does win the job.
Yep. Quick hitters, screens and jet sweeps to Terry and Dotson. Use Gibson and Samuel in interesting ways. Dalton Kincaid perhaps?
Sam has a canon, they are going to throw deep too, you can count on that. That was a big part of KC's offense with Hill for years, and Washington has very fast WRs would can get deep and make contested catches.

Bienemy coming aboard as OC seems like a positive for Howell if he does win the job.
Yep. Quick hitters, screens and jet sweeps to Terry and Dotson. Use Gibson and Samuel in interesting ways. Dalton Kincaid perhaps?
Sam has a canon, they are going to throw deep too, you can count on that. That was a big part of KC's offense with Hill for years, and Washington has very fast WRs would can get deep and make contested catches.

Oh for sure. Just saying they will add all those wrinkles.

From a fantasy standpoint, his rushing upside is what intrigues me more. He’ll need that to be fantasy viable.

We have one of the most likable offenses in the league (as far as how these young men conduct themselves, interview, etc.) We really couldn't ask for better young men than Sam, Terry, Jahad, Curtis, Antonio and Brad. They all seem very hard working, humble, no drama type of players who want and loved to be coached.

Will be interesting to see who else they are bringing in...Howell is intriguing, and I am sure they would love him to run away with it, but Rivera's job is on thin ice so you gotta believe there will be a very solid plan B.

Last edited:
Very impressed with Howell's comments. From what I've read, it seems like maturity concerns were a factor in Howell dropping so far in the draft. Certainly doesn't appear to be an issue from that article.

As a rival college fan, my impression of him in college was that he was arrogant and cocky, which might have contributed to maturity concerns. Good for him if he has improved in that area.

Very impressed with Howell's comments. From what I've read, it seems like maturity concerns were a factor in Howell dropping so far in the draft. Certainly doesn't appear to be an issue from that article.

As a rival college fan, my impression of him in college was that he was arrogant and cocky, which might have contributed to maturity concerns. Good for him if he has improved in that area.
Sitting for 17 weeks behind Wentz and Heinicke should be humbling for anyone.

Maybe he also got a little full of himself leading into his last college season, many mentioned him as the QB1 entering that year.

Commanders head coach Ron Rivera said Sam Howell is "not our starter" but will begin the offseason as the team's No. 1 quarterback.​

Confusing, we know. Fresh off releasing Carson Wentz, Washington will look to add at least one veteran quarterback to compete with Howell, who won a Week 18 start against Dallas while completing 11 of 19 attempts for 169 yards, one touchdown, and one interception. Howell, a mobile QB who often used his speed at North Carolina, will have every chance to start the season under center for the Commanders. He'll have some fantasy appeal in superflex formats.
SOURCE: Ralph Vacchiano on Twitter
Feb 28, 2023, 12:28 PM ET

Commanders head coach Ron Rivera said if a veteran quarterback beats out Sam Howell for the Week 1 starting job, "so be it."

It's the latest sign that Rivera and the Commanders are not sold on Howell as the team's locked-in starter. Rivera in February said Howell is "not our starter" and reiterated that Washington would bring in at least one veteran signal caller to compete with the second-year quarterback out of North Carolina. Prominent free agent quarterbacks this offseason include Jimmy Garropolo, Jacoby Brissett, Andy Dalton, and Gardner Minshew. It's clear Howell, who started in a Week 18 win last season, will have to earn the starting gig for Washington. Rivera also said the team would be open to former starter Taylor Heinicke returning to Washington in 2023.
RELATED:
SOURCE: NBCSportsEdge.com
Mar 8, 2023 at 10:41 AM ET

I mentioned this in the free agency thread, but Heinicke was just signed by Atlanta.

Howell is the last man standing and all the viable FAs are starting to get signed. Unless the Commanders bring in a Dalton or Minshew type, have a trade in mind, or move up in the draft, looks like Howell is getting the keys to the castle despite what Rivera has stated.

There's still a few guys available but it's looking more and more like he's going to get a shot.

Mayfield, Bridgewater, Dalton. Let's be honest, if Howell is going to be worth anything he should be beating these sorts of guys outright to the starting job.
Agree - those guys are "break glass in case of emergency" types that a team just hopes can hold down the fort until their permanent QB comes in. And if it's not Howell, then someone else next year.

There's still a few guys available but it's looking more and more like he's going to get a shot.

Mayfield, Bridgewater, Dalton. Let's be honest, if Howell is going to be worth anything he should be beating these sorts of guys outright to the starting job.

Agreed...that is best case scenario...the thing I keep going back to is that Ron Rivera's job has to be on the line it will take some serious b**** to roll with Howell this year and not have a very viable plan B...anyone who has Howell in SF or 2-QB is on pins and needles as this has a chance to be a real nice score that probably came very cheap with almost no expectations.

I think Howell's upside and ceiling is much higher than most people realize. He can run, he's got a cannon, and he put up big numbers at UNC when he had great talent around him. And he slapped Dallas around like a red headed step child last game of the year. He's going to be fine. :)

I think Howell's upside and ceiling is much higher than most people realize. He can run, he's got a cannon, and he put up big numbers at UNC when he had great talent around him. And he slapped Dallas around like a red headed step child last game of the year. He's going to be fine. :)
He's got some good weapons around him now, for sure. The big question is whether he's got it between the ears, and it's hard to know off one game. Rivera and Co. did themselves a disservice by not starting him earlier last year and have a larger body of work to assess, but it was somewhat understandable given that they were in the playoff hunt and probably didn't want to throw Howell to the wolves right away in that environment.

Users who are viewing this thread