What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

QB Skylar Thompson, MIA (1 Viewer)

Faust

MVP

Dolphins QB Skylar Thompson will start in Week 6 against the Vikings.​

Dolphins head coach Mike McDaniel said he "plans" to play Thompson, who is the last quarterback standing with Tua Tagovailoa and Teddy Bridgewater in the league's concussion protocol. Thompson was serviceable last week against the Jets, passing for 166 yards on 33 throws. Hardly a productive quarterback at Kansas State, Thompson over his final 13 collegiate games threw for 16 touchdowns and four interceptions, averaging 209.4 passing yards per game. Thompson, 25, completed a meager 62.3 percent of his passes in his five college seasons. He's little more than a superflex desperation option against the Vikings.
RELATED:
SOURCE: Cameron Wolfe on Twitter
Oct 12, 2022, 11:01 AM ET

3rd string Quarterback already and things are going exactly to plan for Coach McDaniel

-First, get the team, owner, front office, players, fans, concessions and media, get them all believing that you and your Ivy League NFL IQ are 100% committed to Tua.
*Check
-Next, wait for the right time when Tua will likely be injured to start the Skylar Thompson Project since we know you hand picked him in the 7th Rd, worried about other teams getting their hands on him and so you snatched him up late in the draft, 25 yr old Rookie QB and he blows up in the preseason and is all the rage at camp.
*Check
-Use any excuse to keep Teddy Bridgewater from taking the field and simply have him there as a back up QB for Skylar or Tua whenever he returns if he ever returns
*Check

-Astute Phinsfan
ICU Mike

Last edited:
Skylar also excelled in the practices before the preseason games. I think he's a decent backup QB, on the cheap until 2025. Is McDaniel better than Teddy? Unlikely, but we may get another sample this Sunday.

I’ve known a few girls named Skyler/Skylar, but no men. So before seeing any film or reading profiles I’m already dubious.

Waldman darling from before the preseason. Just based on college film. Just FYI and heads up.
It's probably dumb use of a roster spot for one week in a 1QB dynasty, but this, and the Dolphins receivers are why I scooped him up this week (will also be able to watch every throw if he starts against the Vikings). Not really sure where I'm expecting this to go, but at least it will be something to watch.

As I recall, Waldman actually identified Thompson as his #1 QB in the class on a film study or one of the podcasts. Not sure if he actually followed through on RSP, but that would be gutsy call if he did. Probably foolishness in a 1QB league, but I think this is a savvy scoop in superflex, if he was even available, just in case.

It's probably dumb use of a roster spot for one week in a 1QB dynasty, but this, and the Dolphins receivers are why I scooped him up this week (will also be able to watch every throw if he starts against the Vikings). Not really sure where I'm expecting this to go, but at least it will be something to watch.

As I recall, Waldman actually identified Thompson as his #1 QB in the class on a film study or one of the podcasts. Not sure if he actually followed through on RSP, but that would be gutsy call if he did. Probably foolishness in a 1QB league, but I think this is a savvy scoop in superflex, if he was even available, just in case.

I used a Zealots roster spot on him, which is a 1QB setup, but QBs are valuable in those leagues. I won't divulge what he was in the report, but he was certainly up there and enough to waste a spot on for me.

I used a Zealots roster spot on him, which is a 1QB setup, but QBs are valuable in those leagues. I won't divulge what he was in the report, but he was certainly up there and enough to waste a spot on for me.
Skylar was an auto-draft in the later rounds in all my QB premium leagues. It's not like Tua was cemented, new coach, and lots of weapons. I'll gamble and hope for the next Romo, or Dak. He made some great throws during the preseason.

Waldman is his own master. He isn't part of the hive and calls things as he sees them. I don't recall anyone being as high on Mahomes as he was (could argue similarly for Lamar). He's had his share of misses but mixes in lots of hits. I love me some RSP!

Dolphins coach Mike McDaniel said QB Skylar Thompson "exceeded expectations" in his debut against the Jets last week.​

Thompson will make his first career start Sunday after playing all but one snap in Week 5. The Dolphins could have forced the Vikings to prepare for both Thompson and Teddy Bridgewater (questionable, concussion), but made the surprising decision to announce Thompson as the starter, with the rookie taking all the first-team reps in practice this week. Miami could be without LT Terron Armstead (questionable, toe) in Week 6, but the matchup is playable for Thompson, with the Vikings allowing the 12th-highest EPA per dropback and over eight yards per attempt. Thompson had PFF's sixth-highest deep passing grade this preseason and accounted for 95 yards in DPI last week.
SOURCE: ESPN
Oct 14, 2022, 8:45 PM ET

Truth. I don't get all the Waldman hate around here. Jealousy maybe? He provides valuable info and is very detailed. He even called Toney being a walking injury waiting to happen. Perfection is not something anyone will ever achieve in scouting, but he does a pretty dang good job. There are so many other factors involved in a player's future that simply are unrelated to physical talent or college production you simply cannot see or predict. Work ethic and what guys will do once they have millions of dollars is unpredictable. So are a litany of other factors.

NFL scouts have just as many misses, or more, and they get to do multiple interviews and draft for team need influenced by team strengths and weaknesses. +1 for someone who enjoys the RSP. Sometimes I agree, sometimes I don't, ultimately fantasy decisions are yours lone, but it certainly opens my eyes to players I may sometimes miss looking at because of where they were drafted or where they played in college.

I'm interested in Skylar. It's obvious the team loves him. He goes out and beats Minny with a strong performance and Tua/Teddy may not see the field again. These are 3-0 grand slam swings. I'll bite.

He looked like he belongs to my eye. Miami seemed like they were on their way to beating this Vikes until Skylar went down. Unfortunate what happened, but I'll go on record saying we haven't seen the last of him this season. He could be the future.

Tua's playing style and size don't lend themselves to longevity and the organization clearly like Skylar. The biggest problem I see with Tua is he doesn't know how to protect himself. Talent for days, kind of like Carson Wentz in his early days at Philly, but an injury waiting to happen each and every snap.

One question, does anyone have information on exactly what Skylar's injury was? I saw the blood, but was it a break? Dislocation? Sprain? Just a cut? What?

I thought he looked good and that the offense moved better than it did with Teddy, aside from the penalities. Unfortunately, that's not going to be enough to keep him rostered in my 24-man 1QB league if Tua is back. Maybe a one week hold just to make sure Tua looks okay. I will pursue him aggressively on the WW if he gets any opportunity for sustained starts. Hopefully these box scores will keep the competition off his scent if / when that happens.

In a QB hungry superflex, I think he showed enough to stash.

He looked like he belongs to my eye. Miami seemed like they were on their way to beating this Vikes until Skylar went down. Unfortunate what happened, but I'll go on record saying we haven't seen the last of him this season. He could be the future.

Tua's playing style and size don't lend themselves to longevity and the organization clearly like Skylar. The biggest problem I see with Tua is he doesn't know how to protect himself. Talent for days, kind of like Carson Wentz in his early days at Philly, but an injury waiting to happen each and every snap.

One question, does anyone have information on exactly what Skylar's injury was? I saw the blood, but was it a break? Dislocation? Sprain? Just a cut? What?
so far nothing's been determined or put out other than the cut.

so far nothing's been determined or put out other than the cut.
It almost certainly had to be more than a cut. I kept trying to zoom in to see it but obviously couldn't see what was going on. It's not like he was playing bad, so they weren't looking for an excuse to get him out of there. The thumb isn't all that important in throwing the ball other than grip, so he could have thrown some tape over the cut or a glove and been OK I would think. I don't want to speculate too much because the possibilities are near endless, I'll just say I hope it's not something that keeps him out more than a week. I want to see more of him and I'm sure the team does as well. Tua's not long for this game unless he has an epiphany and suddenly learns how to protect himself. Learning how to fall and take contact is important in about any physical sport. Tua doesn't seem to have that skill or knowledge.

Dolphins QB Skylar Thompson will start in the Wild Card round against the Bills.​

Tua Tagovailoa remains in the NFL's concussion protocol and won't resume football activities this week. On Christmas Day, Tua sustained his second confirmed brain injury of the season. Dolphins head coach said there is no timeline for his return. Thompson has the unenviable task of facing an aggressive Buffalo defense at home in the Wild Card round. Thompson completed 32 of his 52 pass attempts in Week 17 and Week 18 at a meager 4.33 adjusted yards per attempt. McDaniel conceded Thompson is in a tough spot. "I'm not sure anyone really understands what he was able to accomplish [against the Jets in Week 18]," McDaniel said. "He's banking on reps that he's doing individually after practice." Thompson under center makes Miami pass catchers all but unplayable in this week's DFS contests.
RELATED:
SOURCE: Jeff Howe on Twitter
Jan 11, 2023, 11:41 AM ET

Skylar Thompson completed 18-of-45 passes for 220 yards, one touchdown, and two interceptions in the Dolphins' 34-31, Wild Card Round loss to the Bills.​

A seventh-round rookie, Thompson impressed the Dolphins in training camp and during the preseason, though he ultimately opened the year as Miami's third-string quarterback. He wouldn't stay inactive for long as both Tua Tagovailoa and Teddy Bridgwater would go down with injuries throughout the year. Thompson made his debut in Week 5, playing all but one snap of a blowout loss to the Jets. He suffered an injury of his own a week later but would resurface toward the end of the season, making his final regular season start in Week 18. He got his revenge on the Jets with a low-scoring win. Thompson finished the year with 534 passing yards, one touchdown, and three interceptions. He completed 57.1 percent of his passes at 5.1 yards per throw. Bridgewater is an impending free agent, so Thompson could find himself in the backup role next year. However, given Tua's injury history, the Dolphins could look for a better backup option after seeing Thompson struggle through his limited reps as a rookie.
Jan 15, 2023, 6:31 PM ET

15/22 157 yds and 3 TDs, zero interceptions
-Preseason darling 2 years in a row
-Started for Miami @ Buffalo in the Playoffs, 34-31 late 4th when the head coach poops the bed and turns 4th and 1 into 4th and 6...go re-watch :wink:
-All things considered I'd rather have the 7th Rd rookie next 2-3 years, others love Tua, all good but Miami does have a Plan B

Tua throws an interception on his 1st pass of the preseason and then compounds it by trying to make the tackle in a meaningless preseason game?
I'm sure Tua can make it through a 17 game schedule, no problem
Let's see where we are 2-3 months into the season
Mike White STINKS!!!

Users who are viewing this thread