What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

QB Trey Lance, DAL (2 Viewers)

I don't fault the young man. But that trade/draft pick has set my favorite team in sports back 5-10 years. Just a devastating set of decisions.

I don't fault the young man. But that trade/draft pick has set my favorite team in sports back 5-10 years. Just a devastating set of decisions.

We don't know that yet, the roster is loaded, the front office has salary cap wizards, and we seem to constantly hit on late round picks and UDFAs.

We might be ok

Really disappointed we didn't get to see what he could do this year. His coach calling runs is fine... running him up the middle over and over again is beyond dumb. Still think he would of had a good year if healthy.

Lance may eventually be a good QB, but the 49ers should have never traded three 1st round picks for him. They could have drafted Fields with their original 1st rounder. :thumbdown:

They had pick #12 overall, and Chicago took Fields at 11.

Also, they took good looks at both Fields and Lance, they liked what they saw more in Lance than Fields. It's easy to say coulda shoulda but it doesn't change anything.

There is no such thing as a 5 or more year setback in the NFL unless your team is run by Matt Millen. The league is designed to prevent it except in cases of extreme incompetence.
Settling on the wrong franchise QB is a guaranteed 3 year setback or longer depending on who you replace him with. It's a franchise destroyer. But in this case, the 49ers were smart to keep Jimmy G. So they will probably be ok.

Lance may eventually be a good QB, but the 49ers should have never traded three 1st round picks for him. They could have drafted Fields with their original 1st rounder. :thumbdown:

Also, they took good looks at both Fields and Lance, they liked what they saw more in Lance than Fields. It's easy to say coulda shoulda but it doesn't change anything.
Ah the old "either-or fallacy". The correct choice was neither.

Just read an FBG article by a guy -- who was watching the film of the game and has watched Lance before -- who says that Lance takes some solid hits because he doesn't slide very quickly and just runs through guys. I saw it in his highlights from North Dakota St. where I was like "Get down, man!" So I don't think the film watcher is far off.

What's my point? You may see Jimmy G by the fifth game, but not for benching reasons.

Also, my other point: Lance is going to be fine. Everything I've heard reported and everything I've seen is that he's a better QB than Jimmy G. The color commentators in the booth wince whenever Jimmy G plays. He's just not very good, Super Bowl appearance or not. (And since when did that mean anything? We can all agree Trent Dilfer was a pretty terrible QB, right?)
You were right after 2 weeks. Good call.

You're right about Fields but Lance still wasn't/isn't worth what the 49ers paid for him.

How do you go forward if you're Lynch and Shanny?
I don’t know. It’ll be 3 full seasons since this guy played more than a handful of snaps and that was at a lower level. Almost unprecedented if he succeeds at this point and that’s not even discussing the fact he’s not very good.

Sucks he got injured, have to feel bad for him, but it’s strange that it almost certainly makes the Niners the better team and now Shanny/Lynch don’t have a potential locker room revolt coming on.

I don’t know. It’ll be 3 full seasons since this guy played more than a handful of snaps and that was at a lower level. Almost unprecedented if he succeeds at this point and that’s not even discussing the fact he’s not very good.

Sucks he got injured, have to feel bad for him, but it’s strange that it almost certainly makes the Niners the better team and now Shanny/Lynch don’t have a potential locker room revolt coming on.

That is interesting, that it might actually benefit the team in 2022. The team is in a bind for sure. Will Lance be ready at the start of next season? I assume Jimmy will be gone, regardless of how he plays this season. That helps with cap space and maybe with avoiding locker room drama, but it also requires Lance to be able to be the QB1, which means both playing effectively and staying healthy.

I don't fault the young man. But that trade/draft pick has set my favorite team in sports back 5-10 years.
Did it though? With that collection of talent, if Jimmy can keep the mistakes down, this team can go far.

There is no such thing as a 5 or more year setback in the NFL unless your team is run by Matt Millen. The league is designed to prevent it except in cases of extreme incompetence.

Settling on the wrong franchise QB is a guaranteed 3 year setback or longer depending on who you replace him with. It's a franchise destroyer. But in this case, the 49ers were smart to keep Jimmy G. So they will probably be ok.

It's five years. Jim G has proved he can't win a SB. I would imagine the 49ers make the playoffs, and maybe go deep, with him at QB. They will not win a Championship. IF they let Lance take the reigns next year, he'll still be a year way from a year away. The trade up to draft Lance (and I think we all know they should have stood pat and taken Mac Jones and not given up draft capital) sets my favorite team back 5-10 years if the goal is a Super Bowl.

Per SF Chronicle several staff Members and Players have voiced with Trey Lance done they are a better team now with Jimmy G at QB. Maybe not much of anything but could be something

Per SF Chronicle several staff Members and Players have voiced with Trey Lance done they are a better team now with Jimmy G at QB. Maybe not much of anything but could be something

I'd like to see a link, I can't imagine any players saying that right now.

I am not saying Lance is Aaron Rodgers......how many meaningful snaps did Aaron play while waiting his turn behind Favre? Lance got injured. That is what happens in Football. He will be back next year and this is a set back sure.....but I think people just writing him off so quickly is foolish. They invested a #3 overall in him and They will go back to him next year. Jimmy G will be gone.

Jimmy is solid pro. Is he a guy who can a Super Bowl? Don’t know. Is he a guy with a long history of getting hurt too? Yup.

Way too much overreaction to a stunning early season injury on a guy no one has real deep tape on at the Pro level. It is still a wait and see for the 49ers and they will insert him back into the hot seat next season.

Andrew Luck to the white courtesy phone. Paging Andrew Luck, please pick up the white courtesy phone.

It's five years. Jim G has proved he can't win a SB.
That simply is not true.

I'm sorry for you team's loss, it truly sucks, but you're Chicken Littling the heck out of this thread.

No I'm not. I'm giving my honest opinion. You're welcome to yours as well, but I stand by mine.
The team the has been to two NFCCGs and a SB in the last three seasons and is almost entirely intact. The sky is not falling.

The Lance injury truly sucks for many reasons but the team is objectively more competitive this season, in a watered down NFC.

The season is young but after watching the Rams, Seahawks and Cardinals so far this season, the Niners look like the favorites in the West.

The Lance injury truly sucks for many reasons but the team is objectively more competitive this season, in a watered down NFC.
Agreed - I see no reason why Jimmy can't lead this team to the Super Bowl. The NFC looks pretty weak in comparison to the AFC. And if he got there, anything could happen in one game.

We all know that Jimmy is no world beater, but we've seen several times over the years that you don't need to be a top-tier dynamic QB if all the other pieces are in place.

Agreed - I see no reason why Jimmy can't lead this team to the Super Bowl. The NFC looks pretty weak in comparison to the AFC. And if he got there, anything could happen in one game.

We all know that Jimmy is no world beater, but we've seen several times over the years that you don't need to be a top-tier dynamic QB if all the other pieces are in place.
He's definitely not a world beater but he is a winner.

33-14 (70%)

That simply is not true.

I'm sorry for you team's loss, it truly sucks, but you're Chicken Littling the heck out of this thread.

No I'm not. I'm giving my honest opinion. You're welcome to yours as well, but I stand by mine.
The team the has been to two NFCCGs and a SB in the last three seasons and is almost entirely intact. The sky is not falling.

The season is young but after watching the Rams, Seahawks and Cardinals so far this season, the Niners look like the favorites in the West.

Agreed on all counts. But Jimmy has shown he falters on the biggest stages. I said he'll take them deep into the playoffs, but I do not believe he is good enough to get them over the hump. They are my favorite team - I HOPE I'm wrong. And if I am I'll admit I was. But ultimately the goal is to win Super Bowls. I believe the 49ers are set back years by their decision to trade up for Lance. That doesn't mean the sky is falling - they aren't going to bottom out. But they also aren't going to win a Super Bowl any time soon.

I am not saying Lance is Aaron Rodgers......how many meaningful snaps did Aaron play while waiting his turn behind Favre? Lance got injured. That is what happens in Football. He will be back next year and this is a set back sure.....but I think people just writing him off so quickly is foolish. They invested a #3 overall in him and They will go back to him next year. Jimmy G will be gone.

Jimmy is solid pro. Is he a guy who can a Super Bowl? Don’t know. Is he a guy with a long history of getting hurt too? Yup.

Way too much overreaction to a stunning early season injury on a guy no one has real deep tape on at the Pro level. It is still a wait and see for the 49ers and they will insert him back into the hot seat next season.
I agree, it's not fair to say his NFL career is over BUT he will be going into year 3 and they will know nothing about where he is at. Year 1 he could not unseat Jimmy G but we all thought that would make things much easier for him in Year 2. Many times when a QB has a year to watch and learn, I think of Steve McNair and how important it was that he had almost 2 years to study and learn under Chris Chandelier.

I wanted to like trey Lance and his NDSU pedigree, thought he was a diamond in the rough but it's going to take a lot more time for him. The broken ankle sets him back to the off season, personnel changes and hopefully the FO and Head Coach are not let go if San Fran does not make it. That said i think they win 10 games with Jimmy G and that should be enough. They might even challenge the Rams for the Division. I'm overlooking the Cards, sorry but I am not a believer.

Forget about him until training camp and he likely will be outside the Top 20 for FF QB rankings heading into the 2023 season.

That simply is not true.

Agreed on all counts. But Jimmy has shown he falters on the biggest stages. I said he'll take them deep into the playoffs, but I do not believe he is good enough to get them over the hump. They are my favorite team - I HOPE I'm wrong. And if I am I'll admit I was. But ultimately the goal is to win Super Bowls. I believe the 49ers are set back years by their decision to trade up for Lance. That doesn't mean the sky is falling - they aren't going to bottom out. But they also aren't going to win a Super Bowl any time soon.
Super Bowl starting QB
NFCC Starting QB Twice!
In the last 3 seasons?
Miami, Cleveland, the Jets and about 20 other teams will happily take this ineptitude at QB to make a deep run twice in the last 3 years.
I am not disparaging your comments in any way, most folks agree that Jimmy G only takes you so far and when you watch these Playoff games you can tell he is trying to manage vs leading.

Super Bowl starting QB
NFCC Starting QB Twice!
In the last 3 seasons?
Miami, Cleveland, the jets and about 20 other teams will happily take this ineptitude at QB to make a deep run twice in the last 3 years.
I am not disparaging your comments in any way, most folks agree that Jimmy G only takes you so far and when you watch these Playoff games you can tell he is trying to manage vs leading.
He also somehow managed to get to the NFCC without throwing a TD for 8 consecutive quarters. Maybe longer, I’d have to go back and check.

Credit where due: they shoulda won that Super Bowl - JimmyG wasn’t playing defensive secondary on 3rd & 27, up 2 scores with under 5 mins to play.

People blame him for missing Emmanuel Sanders on that 4th and 14 or whatever it was, but it never should have come to that. The defense 100% lost us that Super Bowl.

So listing some of those team-based things as accolades is a little off.

I agree with you that he has limitations.

That simply is not true.

Super Bowl starting QB
NFCC Starting QB Twice!
In the last 3 seasons?
Miami, Cleveland, the Jets and about 20 other teams will happily take this ineptitude at QB to make a deep run twice in the last 3 years.

Super Bowl starting QB
NFCC Starting QB Twice!
In the last 3 seasons?
Miami, Cleveland, the jets and about 20 other teams will happily take this ineptitude at QB to make a deep run twice in the last 3 years.
He also somehow managed to get to the NFCC without throwing a TD for 8 consecutive quarters. Maybe longer, I’d have to go back and check.

Credit where due: they shoulda won that Super Bowl - JimmyG wasn’t playing defensive secondary on 3rd & 27, up 2 scores with under 5 mins to play.

People blame him for missing Emmanuel Sanders on that 4th and 14 or whatever it was, but it never should have come to that. The defense 100% lost us that Super Bowl.

So listing some of those team-based things as accolades is a little off.

I agree with you that he has limitations.

Yes, and yes. Chaka calling me chicken little is more than a little irritating, but whatever. He's good enough to take them far. He's not good enough to take them far enough. That's my hypothesis, and I'm sticking to it. :D

I agree, it's not fair to say his NFL career is over BUT he will be going into year 3 and they will know nothing about where he is at. Year 1 he could not unseat Jimmy G but we all thought that would make things much easier for him in Year 2. Many times when a QB has a year to watch and learn, I think of Steve McNair and how important it was that he had almost 2 years to study and learn under Chris Chandelier.

I wanted to like trey Lance and his NDSU pedigree, thought he was a diamond in the rough but it's going to take a lot more time for him. The broken ankle sets him back to the off season, personnel changes and hopefully the FO and Head Coach are not let go if San Fran does not make it. That said i think they win 10 games with Jimmy G and that should be enough. They might even challenge the Rams for the Division. I'm overlooking the Cards, sorry but I am not a believer.

Forget about him until training camp and he likely will be outside the Top 20 for FF QB rankings heading into the 2023 season.
The team is also going to have to decide whether to double down and pick up his 5th year option with only one year of experience under his belt.

That simply is not true.

Their window is definitely smaller because of Lance, then again maybe not, the Rams made it work. They are absolutely in the hunt this season, getting through the NFC is hardly a stretch and then it's an "any given Sunday" situation.

Chin up, man.

33-14 (70%)
Joe Flacco was 44-20 (69%) earlier in his career. Was he a "winner" or was he just on a team that could win with (barely) a game manager at QB?

33-14 (70%)
Joe Flacco was 44-20 (69%) earlier in his career. Was he a "winner" or was he just on a team that could win with (barely) a game manager at QB?
Who cares? And it's kind of the point, he was good enough to QB a team to a Super Bowl win.

NFL Network's Tom Pelissero reports Trey Lance's season-ending ankle injury was, "not a compound fracture."​

Lance's season is still over, but the fact that he avoided a compound fracture is a bit of a silver lining. Pelissero compared Lance's injury to the ankle injury Dak Prescott suffered in 2020 and noted that, unlike Lance, Prescott did suffer a compound fracture, which only added to the severity of his injury. Assuming all goes well in the coming months, Lance should once again be the team's starter in 2023.
SOURCE: Tom Pelissero on Twitter
Sep 19, 2022, 1:12 PM ET

33-14 (70%)
Who cares? And it's kind of the point, he was good enough to QB a team to a Super Bowl win.
Lol. Really honest, engaging conversation. Clearly no point in further discussion.

You're right about Fields but Lance still wasn't/isn't worth what the 49ers paid for him.

Lance sat out his last year of college, did not play last season, injured this season. That will be almost 3 full years of play time lost. Next year will be like starting over for Lance.

Truth is he looked very raw and not very good in the two games he played.

Not a big Jimmy G fan but he gives the Niners a better chance to win.

Lance sat out his last year of college, did not play last season, injured this season. That will be almost 3 full years of play time lost. Next year will be like starting over for Lance.

Truth is he looked very raw and not very good in the two games he played.

Not a big Jimmy G fan but he gives the Niners a better chance to win.
I hate to agree with this, but I must. At least for the time being.

That simply is not true.

The best feature of this new board is that when you quote someone I have on ignore, it doesn't still show their message in your reply, like it did on the old board. Thanks new board!

How worried should the 49ers be about Jimmy's availability Guy has made it through 2/6 seasons in which he was a starter (and still missed games in one of those seasons).

How worried should the 49ers be about Jimmy's availability Guy has made it through 2/6 seasons in which he was a starter (and still missed games in one of those seasons).
Worried, but no team is going to be any good if they lose their top two QBs to injury. You can only control so much.

That simply is not true.

Super Bowl starting QB
NFCC Starting QB Twice!
In the last 3 seasons?
Mark Sanchez took the Jets to back-to-back AFCC games in his first two years in the league (not sure if anyone else can make that claim). Sometimes teams win in spite of their QB.

Mark Sanchez took the Jets to back-to-back AFCC games in his first two years in the league (not sure if anyone else can make that claim). Sometimes teams win in spite of their QB.
So, Jimmy Garoppolo is Mark Sanchez now?

The guy who's 33-14 with 68% completions, 5% TD rate, 2.6% INT rate, 8.3 y/a

Is the same as the guy who's 37-36, 57% completions, 3.7% TD rate, 3.8% INT rate, 6.6 y/a?

Garoppolo gets zero credit for his teams being 33-14 with him and 8-29 without him since 2017?

Is that really what were saying?

I mean, sure knock him for being injury prone but at the very least the dude knows how not to lose football games.

I don't fault the young man. But that trade/draft pick has set my favorite team in sports back 5-10 years.
Did it though? With that collection of talent, if Jimmy can keep the mistakes down, this team can go far.

It's five years. Jim G has proved he can't win a SB. I would imagine the 49ers make the playoffs, and maybe go deep, with him at QB. They will not win a Championship. IF they let Lance take the reigns next year, he'll still be a year way from a year away. The trade up to draft Lance (and I think we all know they should have stood pat and taken Mac Jones and not given up draft capital) sets my favorite team back 5-10 years if the goal is a Super Bowl.
The flip side of the argument is there wasn't a QB available to them in the draft or free agency at the time that was Championship caliber. I would argue that Jimmy G was probably their best option and I really like Mac Jones. I personally would have just kept Jimmy G and drafted Ja'Marr Chase. He was a sure thing, stone cold lock to be great.

The flip side of the argument is there wasn't a QB available to them in the draft or free agency at the time that was Championship caliber. I would argue that Jimmy G was probably their best option and I really like Mac Jones. I personally would have just kept Jimmy G and drafted Ja'Marr Chase. He was a sure thing, stone cold lock to be great.

True, but by this point they may have known Jones wasn't the answer, started on finding the next answer, and they'd still have all those picks to help them find it. Jimmy probably is their best answer, but that just reinforces the mistake the trade and pick of Lance was.

Users who are viewing this thread