What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

QB Trey Lance, DAL (2 Viewers)

Quarterbacks coach Jeff Christensen told The Athletic's Matt Barrows that 49ers QB Trey Lance has made a "substantial jump" as a passer.​

Christensen is a private quarterbacks coach who has spent time with Lance for the majority of the offseason. Lance has worked not only with Christensen but Patrick Mahomes, another client of Christensen's, to improve his motion as a passer, and has reportedly benefitted from the offseason sessions. Christensen noted that through watching Mahomes, Lance began to improve on things he "wasn't quite doing" earlier in the offseason, but that he appears to have visually and mentally bought into the coach's teachings. The former No. 3 overall pick of the 2021 NFL Draft has appeared in just eight games through two seasons, starting two games last season before being sidelined with an ankle injury. While Brock Purdy figures to have the inside edge on the starting job after last year's performance, Purdy is recovering from a Tommy John surgery that could sideline him late into the offseason. Ideally, the 49ers would want to get a better look at Lance in live action before deciding to permanently move on from him. He'll have an opportunity to earn the starting job in training camp, but he's anything but a lock to open the year as the team's starter.
RELATED:
SOURCE: The Athletic
May 19, 2023, 5:53 PM ET

Arog and Mahomes are the first two QB's that come to mind. I know Steve Young backed up Montana for a while too.
Trey Lance could sit 5 years, he's nowhere near as talented.
Bold statement after the fact. No one knew how good those guys would be until, you know, they actually got on the field.

Those guys played a ton of qb in college however....lance hasn't seen game action in what 3-4 years now?

Arog and Mahomes are the first two QB's that come to mind. I know Steve Young backed up Montana for a while too.
Trey Lance could sit 5 years, he's nowhere near as talented.
Bold statement after the fact. No one knew how good those guys would be until, you know, they actually got on the field.

Those guys played a ton of qb in college however....lance hasn't seen game action in what 3-4 years now?
I have zero faith in Lance. He's Marcus Mariota light, and that's not good 😊

He saw game action in September of '22, less than a year ago. Didn't look that great though.
Yes he's seen what amounts to about 3-4 NFL games but, I've said this a few times in this thread so sorry to sound like broken record, but he's attempted a grand total of 409 passes in his high school, college and pro career combined and this time period goes all the way back to 2016. To put that in some perspective 18 QB's in the NFL attempted more passes then that last year.

His lack of experience trying to play QB at this level is almost unheard off. I don't see how he can continue to sit and worry he's already sat to long. I believe Kyle understands this and while he has his ego and Lance is a huge sunk cost I've been hopeful that he would do right by Lance and try to move him if he's not going to play. And that's what they might be doing.

I'll just say again I got a little down on Lance having a suitor when two QB needy teams with ties to him went in another direction. Could really even add the Dolphins to that list who signed Mike White.

Hold and see, because you’re not getting squat for him as of today.
What pick(s) would you give up for Lance in Superflex?
I don't play Superflex, but I have been learning a lot about it the last 6 months. I want to learn in case I want to play in one in the near future. As for your question, in SF, his owners still view him as 1st round value, but in reality it is 2nd round value IMO. It's probably best to try and buy during the draft when the Lance owner has his sights on a particular player in the 2nd round. For all you SF players don't make too much fun of me on that analysis.

He saw game action in September of '22, less than a year ago. Didn't look that great though.
In a monsoon
He actually made some really nice throws the first half and then the downpour started. The whole team fell apart in the 2nd half, so hard to put the blame on Lance. Got hurt in the first series of game 2, so a lost season.

He just turned 23. I wouldn't put much stock in the people that are trashing him. With only one year of college football and sitting out the Covid season, nobody, including the 49ers should have had high expectations for his rookie year. If they did, then that's on them. He played pretty well against the Texans in his last start in 2021.

Looking forward to seeing him in camp this year and hoping he gets to start the first 4-6 games to actually get a decent sample size

Looking forward to seeing him in camp this year and hoping he gets to start the first 4-6 games to actually get a decent sample size
If he only starts 4-6 games then that probably means that he wasn't that good. He needs to win the job in camp or week 1.
Or it could mean that Purdy is really good
I chalk tbis one up to the old “running from a bear” adage. You don’t have to outrun the bear. Ya just have to outrun your friend.

Purdy is good. I’m not sure he’s “what they expected Lance to be when they drafted him” good.

The article I saw today looks like it was commissioned by the Niners PR dept trying to bolster his trade value.

If he only starts 4-6 games then that probably means that he wasn't that good. He needs to win the job in camp or week 1.

The article I saw today looks like it was commissioned by the Niners PR dept trying to bolster his trade value.
I don’t think so. They aren’t trading Lance because his value is low and they don’t have a definite timeline for Purdy yet. No reason to trade him at this point.

The only way his trade value is bolstered is he begins the season and he plays well. If he plays like the guy they expected when they drafted him, they won’t want to trade him. Give him 4-6 games and see what he can do.

Give him 4-6 games and see what he can do.

The 49ers are competing for the NFC title from the jump. They're likely not in the business of giving a guy 4-6 entire games to see how he looks, three first-round picks or not. They went to Purdy out of desperation last year, after Lance and after Jimmy G. This year will be a lot different. They'll have three to choose from, and they will pick the guy that gives them the best chance to win out of the gate. I can't see them slowing their roll to develop a QB in that time period.

Depending on how you view Lance, they might be wise to do so, but I don't think they will. Doesn't seem up their alley.

I chalk tbis one up to the old “running from a bear” adage. You don’t have to outrun the bear. Ya just have to outrun your friend.

Purdy is good. I’m not sure he’s “what they expected Lance to be when they drafted him” good.

I agree with that. I wouldnt be opposed to the Vikings sending over a 3rd.

The 49ers are competing for the NFC title from the jump. They're likely not in the business of giving a guy 4-6 entire games to see how he looks,
This exactly. We're talking about the 49ers, not the Commanders. Hell, they don't even know what Purdy can do yet. All they know is that the team caught lightning in a bottle with Purdy at QB. He still has a 7th round skillset like where they drafted him. Was it a fluke, who knows?

The 49ers are competing for the NFC title from the jump. They're likely not in the business of giving a guy 4-6 entire games to see how he looks, three first-round picks or not. They went to Purdy out of desperation last year, after Lance and after Jimmy G. This year will be a lot different. They'll have three to choose from, and they will pick the guy that gives them the best chance to win out of the gate. I can't see them slowing their roll to develop a QB in that time period.

Depending on how you view Lance, they might be wise to do so, but I don't think they will. Doesn't seem up their alley.

This is correct

Especially given even the most hardcore of fans will admit the kid hasn't throw a ball in almost 4 years now and has extremely limited experience in the qb department. I don't know many people that can show up essentially having barely played football and play to an nfl speed and intelligence.

I wouldn't be surprised to see Darnold start.

Especially given even the most hardcore of fans will admit the kid hasn't throw a ball in almost 4 years now
and has extremely limited experience in the qb department.
Why do you keep saying this? He played less than a year ago. Agree he has very limited experience but he started the season last year.

Especially given even the most hardcore of fans will admit the kid hasn't throw a ball in almost 4 years now and has extremely limited experience in the qb department.
Why do you keep saying this? He played less than a year ago. Agree he has very limited experience but he started the season last year.
Because it fits his narrative even if not true. Lance also started 3 games in 2021.

Last edited:

The 49ers are a top 4 team according to Vegas odds anyway. They will win games even if Lance plays just OK.

They need to see what he can do over an extended period. Trading him for a “3rd rounder” before they do that would be foolish. Allen was called “garbage” early in his career. Hurts struggled early. Fields was horrible out of the gate. Let Lance play.

Of course you wouldn’t mind giving a “3rd”. Lol.

They need to see what he can do over an extended period.
Sadly, we may never get to see it, at least not in a 49er uniform.

I agree with a few here that the 49ers can't be going through more QB growing pains, their window isn't getting any bigger, and they have a QB that proved he can handle any situation and run the offense perfectly.

Brock has to be the starter, h's earned it. And I think they'll win a SB with him at QB if he stays healthy.

They need to see what he can do over an extended period.
Sadly, we may never get to see it, at least not in a 49er uniform.

I agree with a few here that the 49ers can't be going through more QB growing pains, their window isn't getting any bigger, and they have a QB that proved he can handle any situation and run the offense perfectly.

Brock has to be the starter, h's earned it. And I think they'll win a SB with him at QB if he stays healthy.
Brock is great and as a fan, I want the best guy to play.

BUT, this is a perfect time to showcase Lance and see what he can do. If he plays well, trade value shoots up tremendously or he wins the starting job outright. If he plays, so-so, they start the season 4-2. Not exactly a global killer. Plus, I don’t want to see them rush Purdy back. Make sure he’s 100 percent before he steps on the field.

He's not exactly done much to earn a higher trade value. Just because SF overpaid doesn't mean the rest of the league has to take into account their sunk costs. As others have pointed out he has a very thin playing resume. He's a complete crapshoot at this point. The Niners haven't exactly shown much faith in him either by consistently putting the message out there that Mr. Irrelevant coming off a bad injury is their starter and then going and getting Darnold. Should he go for more? Maybe. But he is still gamble. Make it a conditional pick or picks then based on his success.

If Brock is as healthy as they think he will be by the time the season starts, I don’t see how they can justify sitting him for six games just to give Lance a showcase.

This thread keeps going because this situation is so unique. Not only the part about a guy who still hasn’t shown if he can play QB at the NFL level or not, or that the franchise paid so much for a player with minimal experience….it’s all that combined with the fact that they’re a WINNING team. These kind of odd, seemingly desperate moves (paying so much for a player that is a “project”) is usually the kind of thing that desperate, doormat teams do, and when it doesn’t work out, it sinks their team for another half decade. In this case, the 9ers just seem to keep on rolling at a top team. It’s mind boggling.

If Brock is as healthy as they think he will be by the time the season starts, I don’t see how they can justify sitting him for six games just to give Lance a showcase.

I do. 4-6 games depending on how he is playing. If he plays well, his value goes way up. Worth it IMO.

He's not exactly done much to earn a higher trade value. Just because SF overpaid doesn't mean the rest of the league has to take into account their sunk costs. As others have pointed out he has a very thin playing resume. He's a complete crapshoot at this point. The Niners haven't exactly shown much faith in him either by consistently putting the message out there that Mr. Irrelevant coming off a bad injury is their starter and then going and getting Darnold. Should he go for more? Maybe. But he is still gamble. Make it a conditional pick or picks then based on his success.
He hasn’t done much but he also hasn’t had a chance to do much because of the injury last year.

I didn’t say other teams should pay more at this point but you also don’t know if they overpaid yet either. Again, young QBs, especially one drafted at age 20 need playing time to develop. The Justin Herbert immediate success is rare. But to trade him for a 3rd rounder would be stupid. Use him as a back-up this season.

A lot of the same things about Lance are posted over and over. It's to the point of bailing on the thread. Bye.
Yeah, that was kind of the point of my post above. If it were just an overpay for an unknown QB on a franchise known to be bottom of the barrel, this thread wouldn’t have as much legs imo. But it’s the fact that they keep winning despite a head scratching move that I think keeps people rehashing the topic so many times over.

A lot of the same things about Lance are posted over and over. It's to the point of bailing on the thread. Bye.
Agree. He’s had 4 starts (plus the one series in the game he broke his ankle) in his career and the narrative is “he hasn’t shown anything yet”.

It's obvious that he's not an NFL QB.
You said the same thing about Jalen Hurts....https://forums.thehuddle.com/topic/563720-trey-lance-better-late-than-never-kinda/?do=findComment&comment=4782101

This guy is the king of random knee jerk dart throws.

Enjoy.
Many, many people said that about Hurts. I would say that was the concensus.
Hurts, absolutely having no business in the NFL after one season of play; certainly was not the consensus of the football minded people I associate with.

A rough first year for sure....but not written off as many successful QBs struggle year 1.

If anything he was the consensus upside sleeper late QB pick going into 2022. For good reason.

Last edited:
You said the same thing about Jalen Hurts....https://forums.thehuddle.com/topic/563720-trey-lance-better-late-than-never-kinda/?do=findComment&comment=4782101

Enjoy.
Hurts skillset was never in question. He went to Alabama & Oklahoma. Lance went to BumbleFudge University and played 1 year??. They played against much different levels of competition. You can't compare

Enjoy.
Hurts skillset was never in question.
Lol...yesterday Hurts had no business in the NFL and today he has an unquestionable skillset.

Enjoy.
Lol...yesterday Hurts had no business in the NFL and today he has an unquestionable skillset.
He always had the skillset, he just sucked early on.

Enjoy.
I see you changed your name. Say hi to your little Liberal buddies in the other forum you lurk around in. Great crew there 🌈
:shrug:

He hasn’t done much but he also hasn’t had a chance to do much because of the injury last year.

I didn’t say other teams should pay more at this point but you also don’t know if they overpaid yet either. Again, young QBs, especially one drafted at age 20 need playing time to develop. The Justin Herbert immediate success is rare. But to trade him for a 3rd rounder would be stupid. Use him as a back-up this season.
I agree that he hasn't had a chance and I'm not saying that's fair for him. As a Vikings fan I'm just spit balling and saying I wouldn't mind a dart throw with him. It probably would take more than a three. I hope he succeeds. He might be Minnesota's best chance at a long term prospect if he can pan out because it's going to be hard to trade up into the very top of the draft the way Minnesota finishes year after year without tanking.

I do. 4-6 games depending on how he is playing. If he plays well, his value goes way up. Worth it IMO.
The minute Lance's performance drops below what Purdy was giving them last year, they'd have a locker room revolt.

The minute Lance's performance drops below what Purdy was giving them last year, they'd have a locker room revolt.
Well, then they can make a change

I'm not sure I understand this logic. Why would there be a locker room revolt if Lance's performance is below Purdy's?

Well, then they can make a change
So if Lance throws 3 second half picks in a week 1 loss, are they going back to Purdy or are they sticking with your 4-6 week plan? I guess I'm not tracking.

Users who are viewing this thread