What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

QB Trey Lance, DAL (1 Viewer)

If Brock is as healthy as they think he will be by the time the season starts, I don’t see how they can justify sitting him for six games just to give Lance a showcase.

I do. 4-6 games depending on how he is playing. If he plays well, his value goes way up. Worth it IMO.
The minute Lance's performance drops below what Purdy was giving them last year, they'd have a locker room revolt.
Well, then they can make a change
So if Lance throws 3 second half picks in a week 1 loss, are they going back to Purdy or are they sticking with your 4-6 week plan? I guess I'm not tracking.
Why not make your scenario 8 picks in the 2nd half?

Of course if he plays absolutely awful, they won't give him 4-6 games, but I don't expect that to happen and neither do you

Brock Purdy caught lightning in a bottle. He was the last pick in the draft. I need to see more before I anoint him the next Tom Brady.
Not to be rude, but i doubt anyone really cares what you need to see :wink:. Plus, haven't ever seen anyone anointing him the next Tom Brady. The comparisons are natural based on the way he played and his draft capital.

However, if you are REALLY interested in why Purdy has "it" and isn't just a flash, go to U-tube and input "Purdy incompletion against Seahawks". I couldn't get the link to work for some reason. Purdy rolls to his left, nothing there. Rolls to his right, fakes to get the one defender in the air and then throws sidearm under the 2nd defender to the only place in the corner of the end zone where the ball could be caught. Unfortunately Aiyuk didn't make the catch, so it was just another incompletion, but you can't teach that shiot.

In addition to his 113 passer rating in a not small sample size

If Brock is as healthy as they think he will be by the time the season starts, I don’t see how they can justify sitting him for six games just to give Lance a showcase.

I do. 4-6 games depending on how he is playing. If he plays well, his value goes way up. Worth it IMO.
The minute Lance's performance drops below what Purdy was giving them last year, they'd have a locker room revolt.
So if Lance throws 3 second half picks in a week 1 loss, are they going back to Purdy or are they sticking with your 4-6 week plan? I guess I'm not tracking.

Of course if he plays absolutely awful, they won't give him 4-6 games, but I don't expect that to happen and neither do you
I could make my scenario 1 pick and a 50% completion percentage in a loss, too. Contrary to your suggestion, I do not believe Lance would go out and play as well over the first 4-6 games as Purdy did in his starts last season. That's part of the problem with Lance - he's got a higher ceiling than Purdy but I think he's also got a ways to go to get to Purdy's floor. I wouldn't expect Lance to get there in the first few starts. And on a win-now roster, the team isn't going to just let Lance take his lumps and develop when they have a better option on the bench.

Per Lombardi:

YPA leaders on short passes (less than 10 air yards) in 2022:

Jimmy Garoppolo: 8.1*
Sam Darnold: 7.3*
Geno Smith: 7.2
Patrick Mahomes: 7.2
Jared Goff: 7.1
Jalen Hurts: 7.1
Brock Purdy: 7.1*

*Not enough attempts to technically qualify, but included for illustration.

Trey Lance, in his tiny sample, was at 6.1 YPA. SF didn't yet have CMC.

-------

Best completion percentages on PFF's record for intermediate (10-19 yards) passes, minimum 20% of qualifying attempts:

1. Brock Purdy (2022), 49ers: 80.4%
2. Kirk Cousins (2019), Vikings: 72.9%
3. Joe Burrow (2021), Bengals: 71.9%

Hmmmm....

I could make my scenario 1 pick and a 50% completion percentage in a loss, too. Contrary to your suggestion, I do not believe Lance would go out and play as well over the first 4-6 games as Purdy did in his starts last season. That's part of the problem with Lance - he's got a higher ceiling than Purdy but I think he's also got a ways to go to get to Purdy's floor. I wouldn't expect Lance to get there in the first few starts. And on a win-now roster, the team isn't going to just let Lance take his lumps and develop when they have a better option on the bench.
For the sake of accuracy, my suggestion was you don't really think Lance will be horrible. Maybe I'm wrong and you think he totally sucks :wink:

For the sake of accuracy, my suggestion was you don't really think Lance will be horrible. Maybe I'm wrong and you think he totally sucks :wink:
I’m optimistic on his talent but I do think he’s more than capable of having some awful games on his development path.

I’m optimistic on his talent but I do think he’s more than capable of having some awful games on his development path.

I'm with you. I think Lance needs way more work and the 49ers can't afford to give him that time on the way to hopefully a sb this year. I wouldn't be surprised to see Darnold if Purdy is delayed...

I expect Lance to look the best of all 3 of them by the end of camp if not by the first or second week when they jockey for position.
Just a gut reaction, nothing substantial to point at.
Will he start and maintain the QB spot all season? That I cannot answer just yet.

I expect Lance to look the best of all 3 of them by the end of camp if not by the first or second week when they jockey for position.
Just a gut reaction, nothing substantial to point at.
Will he start and maintain the QB spot all season? That I cannot answer just yet.

This is where I am. I'm not confident enough to plant that flag in dynasty and pursue Lance, in fact, I've done the opposite and traded away my only Lance share. However, I just have this feeling he emerges as the starter for SF.

I wouldn't be surprised to see Darnold if Purdy is delayed...
If Lance can't beat out Darnold then it's time to count your loses and get what you can for him now. They must know what they have by now.

I think they give lance a chance...they just can't take losses. It's not a time to let lance learn and grow. It's a time to win. his leash will be very short
49ers gonna win with Darnold? HAHAHAHAHAHAH

Good luck 49ers fans.....that will be maddening.

Good luck 49ers fans.....that will be maddening

Huh? Purdy could be ready week 1. If not, Lance or Darnold will start.

I have confidence in all 3. All a QB in the 49er offense has to do is make the layups and let the playmakers do their thing. SF plays the Steelers, Rams, Giants and Cardinals their first 4 games. Even if Purdy is out til week 4, a record of 3-0 or 2-1 going into the Cardinals game is likely no matter who is QB out of the gate.

If Lance can't beat out Darnold then it's time to count your loses and get what you can for him now. They must know what they have by now.

I think they give lance a chance...they just can't take losses. It's not a time to let lance learn and grow. It's a time to win. his leash will be very short

You don't think Shanahan can get reasonable performance out of a guy who went 4-2 with the Panthers last year?

You don't think Shanahan can get reasonable performance out of a guy who went 4-2 with the Panthers last year?
I would have zero faith in Darnold.....they should go with Lance if Purdy is not ready. That investment you made.....man. Talk about wasted capital.

I guess we will see how they look in the pre-season.....and I do not expect Purdy to be ready. UCL’s are very serious injuries and take time.

To me Lance has the highest ceiling and the biggest upside and he may legit win the job anyway. Or not.

We will find out.

Shanahan is a pretty good coach of QB's, but lets me honest, he hasn't really made anyone "Great" in SF. Jimmy G's stats are pretty pedestrian overall. Brock had a good 8 game stretch last year. Darnold has had 1 season so far where his comp % is above 60%. 49ers have some good weapons for sure, but expecting "anyone" to succeed in the Offense I think is a mistake, possibly proven by their lack of faith and success in Trey Lance to date.

Shanahan is a pretty good coach of QB's, but lets me honest, he hasn't really made anyone "Great" in SF. Jimmy G's stats are pretty pedestrian overall. Brock had a good 8 game stretch last year. Darnold has had 1 season so far where his comp % is above 60%. 49ers have some good weapons for sure, but expecting "anyone" to succeed in the Offense I think is a mistake, possibly proven by their lack of faith and success in Trey Lance to date.
To be fair, Jimmy was forced on Shanahan if you believe the rumors. It was Lynch who pushed for Garoppolo. Jimmy played well those last five games of 2017 when you consider who he was throwing the ball to and the total lack of talent on that offensive team. Never seemed to get back to that level after the ACL injury and yeah, he has been pretty pedestrian. Not really on Shanahan. Purdy came right in and ran the same offense way better than Jimmy with no prep time. Looking forward to how this plays out and hopefully Lance gets a real chance to win the job.

Shanahan was planning on making a play for Cousins after his FT was over (again if you believe the rumors, which I do in this case). That would have been better than the Jimmy experience

To be fair, Jimmy was forced on Shanahan if you believe the rumors. It was Lynch who pushed for Garoppolo. Jimmy played well those last five games of 2017 when you consider who he was throwing the ball to and the total lack of talent on that offensive team. Never seemed to get back to that level after the ACL injury and yeah, he has been pretty pedestrian. Not really on Shanahan. Purdy came right in and ran the same offense way better than Jimmy with no prep time. Looking forward to how this plays out and hopefully Lance gets a real chance to win the job.

Shanahan was planning on making a play for Cousins after his FT was over (again if you believe the rumors, which I do in this case). That would have been better than the Jimmy experience
Was Lance forced on him too? Being fair and all.

Shanahan couldnt care less about draft position. Hes NEVER favored draft position over production, just ask almost any 3rd round pick in his tenure. Hes savage when it comes to those decisions.

He will pick the guy who he thinks gives SF the best chance to win. If that means starting a 7th rounder and letting the #3 overall pick ride the pine, then thats what he will do.

Purdys success kind of cancels out rhe capital they gave for Lance because IF Purdy becomes the guy going forward, Lance not panning out doesnt set the franchise back like it would if Lance was a bust and they didnt have Purdy.

I see no reason Purdy doesnt hold onto the starting job once hes behind center, he seems to be the perfect QB for Shanahans system, and I think hes the smartest/most cerebral 49er QB since Steve Young. Im not saying hes Young 2.0 (yet), but his football IQ and ability to process and make decisions quickly is elite, and thats huge in Kyles system.

Lance has an uphill battle. We are about to find out if hes up to the challenge.

I’m so glad that I divorced myself from this mess. TLaw is just so much easier to count on than Lance / Purdy.

In the start up draft I’m in right now, team 1.14 took Lance in the fourth round and then had to take Purdy in the fifth.

Doesn’t seem like the best use of resources to me.

Last edited:

Well, as discussed multiple times, Lance was not expected to play much his rookie year due to age and lack of college experience. Then he got hurt early in game two last year and was out for the season. Not sure why this is so hard to understand. Hasn’t exactly had an opportunity to be “great” yet.

Well, as discussed multiple times, Lance was not expected to play much his rookie year due to age and lack of college experience. Then he got hurt early in game two last year and was out for the season. Not sure why this is so hard to understand. Hasn’t exactly had an opportunity to be “great” yet.
So in Summary
He never wanted Jimmy G, but it was forced on him and got marginal QB results. Also, injuries were a contributing factor to his marginal/pedestrian performance.
He wanted another player in Kirk Cousins, who has been under contract with the Vikings since 2018
He DID want Trey Lance, was not expected to start as a rookie at all but Lance showed so much progress into year 2, that they still kept Jimmy G around last year despite his aforementioned marginal performance, but injuries also were a factor holding Lance back.
Now we have a guy who was picked at the very last draft pick who is, by all accounts expected to start over Lance, unless, injuries stop that.

Sounds like a lot of excuse making for Shanahan, with one guy showing some promise, but its an 8 game sample.

I think I completely understand it.

So in Summary
He never wanted Jimmy G, but it was forced on him and got marginal QB results. Also, injuries were a contributing factor to his marginal/pedestrian performance.
He wanted another player in Kirk Cousins, who has been under contract with the Vikings since 2018
He DID want Trey Lance, was not expected to start as a rookie at all but Lance showed so much progress into year 2, that they still kept Jimmy G around last year despite his aforementioned marginal performance, but injuries also were a factor holding Lance back.
Now we have a guy who was picked at the very last draft pick who is, by all accounts expected to start over Lance, unless, injuries stop that.

Sounds like a lot of excuse making for Shanahan, with one guy showing some promise, but its an 8 game sample.

I think I completely understand it.
Well, they kept Jimmy last year because he took a massive pay cut and they didn’t have a strong backup (weren’t yet aware of Purdy’s awesomeness). By keeping him, they got a good backup and also a 3rd round comp pick. Not that hard to understand.

Kirk Cousins signed with Minnesota after his FT expired as I said. 49ers would have made a play for him had they not made the Garoppolo deal in 2017. Again, not that hard to understand.

Lance not expected to start his rookie year after 1 year of division 2. Again, not that hard to understand.

Shanahan doesn’t need any excuses. He took over a team with the worst roster in football (close with the Browns) and turned them into one of the best teams in the NFL by his 3rd season, without having a top flight QB like most of the other better teams. Again, not that hard to understand 🤷

Those saying Darnold > Lance need to be booted out of the thread. Imagine falling for clickbait media touting that, lol

I still think Lance starts the season as QB1. It'll be tough for him if Purdy recovers and is ready to play W1. I expect Lance to be the backup in that scenario. Purdy played too well not to have the keys to the car if healthy. It's not ideal for those who took him top 5 in Superflex drafts. Injuries suck.

Weird that you put “great” in quotes, a word that you will not find in my post you are responding to.

Those saying Darnold > Lance need to be booted out of the thread. Imagine falling for clickbait media touting that, lol

I still think Lance starts the season as QB1. It'll be tough for him if Purdy recovers and is ready to play W1. I expect Lance to be the backup in that scenario. Purdy played too well not to have the keys to the car if healthy. It's not ideal for those who took him top 5 in Superflex drafts. Injuries suck.
Darnold might be a better QB than Lance.

It’s on the spectrum of possibilities, and we really don’t know.

Having a big arm, being athletic, and being a hard worker are all good traits. But we still haven’t seen it translate to an NFL game.

Until we do, it’s really not unrealistic to suggest that Darnold is a better QB. In short stretches, we’ve seen him play with competence.

We can’t actually say that about Lance yet.

Just keeping it 💯, as the kids say.

Thhhhaaaannnnkkkk you.

Lance haters have a solid basis on him not having much experience at all playing the game. But that's all they have. He didn't really play his first year and his only full game during his second was in the pouring rain. We literally have no usable data on how he plays NFL football.

Having a big arm, being athletic, and being a hard worker are all good traits. But we still haven’t seen it translate to an NFL game.

Until we do, it’s really not unrealistic to suggest that Darnold is a better QB. In short stretches, we’ve seen him play with competence.

Darnold is a backup QB, no?

We know what Darnold is already. We don't know enough about Lance to throw Darnold out there over him. That seems like poor decision-making unless Lance has regressed from W2 last year.

We know what Darnold is already. We don't know enough about Lance to throw Darnold out there over him. That seems like poor decision-making unless Lance has regressed from W2 last year.
This is by far the best situation Darnold has ever been in. Hes never had a coaching staff this good/stable or the amount of weapons this team has.

I for one cant wait to see what hes got now that hes on a really good team and doesnt have the pressure of having to be "the guy"

There is no such thing as “proof by omission”

You can’t say Lance is better because we haven’t seen it.

It’s like saying Lance is a world class ballerina because we haven’t seen it.

Cmon.

Cmon.
I never said he's better. I said Lance is an unknown and we know what Darnold is.

Of course, Darnold would be better in this situation than his previous ones. That's saying more about the 49ers than it does him. He's a capable backup nothing more. There'd have been a list of teams vying for his services otherwise.

This is by far the best situation Darnold has ever been in. Hes never had a coaching staff this good/stable or the amount of weapons this team has.

I for one cant wait to see what hes got now that hes on a really good team and doesnt have the pressure of having to be "the guy"
Solid point.

Cmon.
I never said he's better. I said Lance is an unknown and we know what Darnold is.

Of course, Darnold would be better in this situation than his previous ones. That's saying more about the 49ers than it does him. He's a capable backup nothing more. There'd have been a list of teams vying for his services otherwise.
Right. We know right now that Darnold is better.

Until Lance plays better than Darnold, it seems we can definitively say that Darnold is a better QB.

Could Lance be better? Sure. But right now we don’t know that.

Solid point.

Cmon.

Until Lance plays better than Darnold, it seems we can definitively say that Darnold is a better QB.

And the 49ers can't go 0-4 to find out to start the season....Lance might set the world on fire but he might be what he should be...a guy that has a lot of growing to do to be an nfl qb

Solid point.

Cmon.

Darnold identifies as a dog.

Solid point.

Cmon.

And the 49ers can't go 0-4 to find out to start the season
....Lance might set the world on fire but he might be what he should be...a guy that has a lot of growing to do to be an nfl qb
Sorry, but this narrative is foolish

If Lance starts the season, it will be because Shanahan thinks he is the better option over Darnold or Purdy. If he does start the season, the 49ers are not going 0-4. Not with the team they have.

If Lance starts the season, it will be because Shanahan thinks he is the better option over Darnold or Purdy. If he does start the season, the 49ers are not going 0-4. Not with the team they have.
I would think if they went 0-2, and if it was because Lance wasn’t getting it done, Darnold would be given a shot, assuming Purdy wasn’t ready.

If Purdy is ready I don’t see how he doesn’t get his job back.

Users who are viewing this thread