What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

QB Trey Lance, DAL (1 Viewer)

1 QB leagues

One league where I have Fields/ Lance, I traded for Purdy. Just makde sense. The idea that I have to roster Darnold as a fourth roster spot to make sure I have a single backup QB is just a world-class Shanahan situation. I won't do it. When I saw the news that it might be Darnold, I lold. Fantastic. Just the best.

The league I have TLaw/ Murray/Pickett I feel like I'm playing with house money. Part of why I adopted the team.

My third team had Murray/Mayfield and a pu-pu platter of backups, I swung a trade for Purdy then flipped him for Geno. I'd like rostering Purdy straight up over Lance by a long shot but the idea of counting on either one just seems like a recipe for pain.

If Lance starts the season, it will be because Shanahan thinks he is the better option over Darnold or Purdy. If he does start the season, the 49ers are not going 0-4. Not with the team they have.
I would think if they went 0-2, and if it was because Lance wasn’t getting it done, Darnold would be given a shot, assuming Purdy wasn’t ready.

If Purdy is ready I don’t see how he doesn’t get his job back.
I know you're a SF fan and had some shares of Lance so you're as burned out as I am..

But if Lance lights up camp and Purdy's arm takes longer to recover than expected or he's lost enough to where it's hard for him to do his job (not like he had a cannon to begin with so losing a little might actually make a difference) it's not inconceivable for Lance to win the game 1 nod and never look back. I don't think it's likely but it's not like the kid isn't talented. I'd put this as like a 20% chance.

I traded my single share of Lance for a 2024 2nd (start 1 QB) in a league where the Purdy owner was completely unresponsive. Felt pretty magnificent to be rid of the mystery box that is Lance.

In a different league (start 1 QB), I own Purdy and that team is both not competing and does not need QB help. I think it's likely I'll trade Purdy as well, but am waiting until he's back to starting to try to maximize value. And if Purdy never starts again, oh well, he was a waiver wire pickup anyway.

If Lance starts the season, it will be because Shanahan thinks he is the better option over Darnold or Purdy. If he does start the season, the 49ers are not going 0-4. Not with the team they have.
I would think if they went 0-2, and if it was because Lance wasn’t getting it done, Darnold would be given a shot, assuming Purdy wasn’t ready.

I know you're a SF fan and had some shares of Lance so you're as burned out as I am..

But if Lance lights up camp and Purdy's arm takes longer to recover than expected or he's lost enough to where it's hard for him to do his job (not like he had a cannon to begin with so losing a little might actually make a difference) it's not inconceivable for Lance to win the game 1 nod and never look back. I don't think it's likely but it's not like the kid isn't talented. I'd put this as like a 20% chance.
I never said it wasn’t.

But the fact remains that Darnold is a more experienced QB.

Lance physical gifts, work ethic, determination are all unquestioned.

I just don’t know if the dude can play football.

Not that Darnold is Tom Brady, but he’s seen enough game action and showed spurts of competence on otherwise incompetent teams.

As others have said, this would be the best situation Darnold has ever been in since he became a pro. It would not shock me in the slightest to see him beat out Lance for the “seat-warmer” job if Purdy isn’t ready.

I agree if Lance manages to beat out Darnold, that would be a significant development & all bets are off from there.

But the 49ers are all about winning football games. They’re gonna go with the dude who gives them the best chance to do that.

And right now it’s likely Darnold >> Lance

This is what i think...Lance of course starts (unless he looks terrible in the preseason) and then if he is the cause of a slow start over two games i suspect the leash gets pulled on him.

This is what i think...Lance of course starts (unless he looks terrible in the preseason) and then if he is the cause of a slow start over two games i suspect the leash gets pulled on him.
At the end of the day all Shanny & Co care about is winning.

Leashes will be extremely short. The only player who’s earned a longer leash is the one recovering from elbow surgery.

Lance / Darnold haven’t earned a thing.

Man...I had so many FFPC shares of Lance last season as I thought he was undervalued...that didn't work out well.
Same, he was my most drafted QB. Felt great about it, like he was my ace in the hole with respect to I did not sweat if I got a stud QB early because I felt like I could just get him a little later. Paired him with Aiyuk on a ton of teams as well and I think that was a budding connection. Losing him for the season was obviously tough but just the hole he put teams in with the week one monsoon game and early exit the next week. In a 12 week regular season where half the playoffs are determined by points it was tough being about 50'ish off the pace of a lot of teams after two weeks just at the QB position.

Still don't think we'd have been wrong if he had not gotten injured.

Man...I had so many FFPC shares of Lance last season as I thought he was undervalued...that didn't work out well.
Same, he was my most drafted QB. Felt great about it, like he was my ace in the hole with respect to I did not sweat if I got a stud QB early because I felt like I could just get him a little later. Paired him with Aiyuk on a ton of teams as well and I think that was a budding connection. Losing him for the season was obviously tough but just the hole he put teams in with the week one monsoon game and early exit the next week. In a 12 week regular season where half the playoffs are determined by points it was tough being about 50'ish off the pace of a lot of teams after two weeks just at the QB position.

Still don't think we'd have been wrong if he had not gotten injured.
Completely on point. He certainly isn't without potential value for this season. He is still a sneaky pick again amongst those in the know. We just have no idea if he gets the starting nod.

I was thinking of pursuing Lance via trade in my 1 QB dynasty league, but I already have Josh Allen and couldn't pass up on Anthony Richardson at 1.6 in the rookie draft last month.

I acquired Lance and the 2.10 for Freiermuth in a dynasty ppr non-te prem league. I only had Goff at QB. I thought, what the hell, do it in case Lance becomes something.
I just cannot believe that Darnold will beat out Lance in camp. Even if it's somewhat close the 49ers will go with Lance. Lance would lose alot of trade value and I still think Shanny gives him one more chance. Just my opinion.

I had Lance and Purdy. All indications were that Lance was going to be the starter so I traded Purdy and the 2023 4.09 for Russell Wilson. That's not looking like a very good trade anymore.

Lance will be QB3. Bottom line is the Lance plan got derailed by injuries and Purdy, and he may never be a starter in the NFL. It is what it is, time to move on and stop dwelling on the fact that it didn't work out.
I am not trying to hold you accountable for many many many posters who were all high on this kid and even after things got off to a rocky start were adamantly defending Lance, even after the season ending injury last year were still defending him...now we've moved on?

We're talking about Darnold and Purdy, I'm not sold on anybody playing QB for them right now. That injury looked bad in the playoffs and I would have to see Purdy clear some hurdles before I would start talking up '23 with him. Sam Darnold is in a Niners' uniform, let me jot that one down for my projections.

I side with @JohnnyU here that it might be premature to totally write this kid off.
You are one of the biggest Niners' fans I see on here although there might be others who claim that title but you're on the list.
I'm kind of shocked to see you throw in the towel already. A lot was given to acquire Lance, doesn't someone have to take the fall for that trade?
I guess 2 trips to the NFCC last 3 seasons, not many folks gonna lose their jobs over that track record.

The Niners are a big enigma for the average NFL fan, I scratch my head. They seem so close and yet so far at the same time, mostly just a QB away it seems.
🤷‍♂️

I just don't see Purdy looking back, which sucks for Lance, but this teams window might not be open for long and I don't see where you have time to evaluate Lance as a starter. To me, the draft capital they gave up for Lance doesn't even really matter because they got a starting QB at pick 262, which in a way, almost cancels out the need for Lance to pan out.

I'm not throwing in the towel on him, I just don't see when he's gonna get the chance to prove he can be a long term starter in the NFL. I believe Purdy is gonna take a step forward this season and will be the guy as long as he's healthy.

I just don't see Purdy looking back, which sucks for Lance, but this teams window might not be open for long and I don't see where you have time to evaluate Lance as a starter. To me, the draft capital they gave up for Lance doesn't even really matter because they got a starting QB at pick 262, which in a way, almost cancels out the need for Lance to pan out.

I'm not throwing in the towel on him, I just don't see when he's gonna get the chance to prove he can be a long term starter in the NFL. I believe Purdy is gonna take a step forward this season and will be the guy as long as he's healthy.

Some writers feel different than others, I tend to like anyone who rebukes Adam Snifter

Some writers feel different than others, I tend to like anyone who rebukes Adam Snifter
I disagree with that article, I don't think Purdy is being rushed at all, the normal recovery time of 6 months lines right up with the start of the season. Of course setbacks can hppen, but with no setbacks I believe he will be 100% for week 1, and there have been zero setbacks so far. Had he needed the reconstruction surgery I'd be worried, but it was a repair and the ligament should be stronger than it was pre injury.

Last edited:
To me, the draft capital they gave up for Lance doesn't even really matter because they got a starting QB at pick 262, which in a way, almost cancels out the need for Lance to pan out.
For good managers, draft capital wouldn’t matter anyway. If you make a mistake or “#### happens” professionals adjust to the new reality.

read Quit by Annie Duke for a better explanation.

He has to beat out Darnold.
If he's not what they're looking for and trade bait then he has to.
Articles and tweets and such that Darnold is better will wreck this guy's trade value and career outlook.
If necessary, have him run the first team week one of camp then take whatever offer they can get for him.
I'm sure they wanted a lot this off-season but...Darnold is going to wreck it

He has to beat out Darnold.
If he's not what they're looking for and trade bait then he has to.
Articles and tweets and such that Darnold is better will wreck this guy's trade value and career outlook.
If necessary, have him run the first team week one of camp then take whatever offer they can get for him.
I'm sure they wanted a lot this off-season but...Darnold is going to wreck it

I agree...so the fact that people are saying Darnold looks better is concerning

Reactions: Bri
I'd be shocked if Darnold started over Lance.
I wouldn’t.
Sam Darnold's stats since entering the league in 2018

2018 - 13 gm, 239/414 att, 17td/15int
2019 - 13, 273/441, 19/13
2020 - 12, 217/364, 9/11
2021 - 11, 243/406, 9/13
2022 - 6, 82/140, 7/3

Total - 55 gm, 59.7% cmp, 61td/55int (rushing is non-existent)

I'm curious, what about this stat line makes you more bullish on Darnold than Lance?

I wouldn’t.

2020 - 12, 217/364, 9/11
2021 - 11, 243/406, 9/13
2022 - 6, 82/140, 7/3

I'm curious, what about this stat line makes you more bullish on Darnold than Lance?
That Lance hasn’t done anything at all to show that he’s better.

It’s pretty simple really. Seems obvious even.

Darnold has shown flashes of competence stewarding an NFL offense.

Lance has shown nothing to date.

Last edited:
I wouldn’t.

2020 - 12, 217/364, 9/11
2021 - 11, 243/406, 9/13
2022 - 6, 82/140, 7/3

That Lance hasn’t done anything at all to show that he’s better.

It’s pretty simple really. Seems obvious even.

Darnold has shown flashes of competence stewarding an NFL offense.

Lance has shown nothing to date.
Right. They’re not necessarily looking for either to be the franchise QB. they need one to play a handful of games and be competent enough to win a few. Their first four games should only need a competent QB, weeks 5-8 get tougher.

This was the easiest bust call I've ever made in my scouting history.
There was absolutely NOTHING that even said to me that this guy should be taken in the first round, nevermind give up an insane ransom to move all the way up for.

Sometimes I'm mindboggled at what ppl who live and breath this game see. Esp when it's their profession.

Ya, injuries and such... But it's not even that to me. You look at the basics. Look at the "tape" (if you can find any, he started as many games as some of us have in a doggy doodoo conference).

Anyways... The kid seems nice. But they doomed him from day one heaping ALL that pressure on him.

IIRC, the Falcons were gonna take him at 4th overall if SF didn't take him.

So say what you want about Lance not being a first round talent, he 100% was gonna go in the first round.

Nobody on earth knows what's gonna happen or if he will ever be a starter. No FBGs, no NFL coaches, no reporters, nobody.

Let's wait and let it play out.

So say what you want about Lance not being a first round talent, he 100% was gonna go in the first round.

Nobody on earth knows what's gonna happen or if he will ever be a starter. No FBGs, no NFL coaches, no reporters, nobody.

Yeah, I mean I don’t disagree with this.

I was just responding to Darnold Vs Lance question.

Darnold is an experienced NFL QB & Lance is not.

As @-OZ- said - if they need someone to keep the seat warm for a few games, it’s going to be the player with experience who could possibly go .500 until Purdy gets back.

It’s kind of disastrous, since ideally they could feature Lance & build his trade value. But the ultimate goal is playoffs -> SB, so I doubt they sacrifice wins just to try to deal away Lance.

Lance could still eventually be good. Who knows at this point.

Last edited:

Yeah, I mean I don’t disagree with this.

I was just responding to Darnold Vs Lance question.

Darnold is an experienced NFL QB & Lance is not.

As @-OZ- said - if they need someone to keep the seat warm for a few games, it’s going to be the player with experience who could possibly go .500 until Purdy gets back.

It’s kind of disastrous, since ideally they could feature Lance & build his trade value. But the ultimate goal is playoffs -> SB, so I doubt they sacrifice wins just to deal away Lance.

Lance could still eventually be good. Who knows at this point.
My post wasn't directed your way, I just keep hearing people say he shouldn't have been taken in the first round, when there was zero chance he would have made it to the 2nd round.

Whether or not he should have been a first rounder we dont know, but if SF hadn't taken him, another team would have before pick 33. That's all I'm sayin.

2020 - 12, 217/364, 9/11
2021 - 11, 243/406, 9/13
2022 - 6, 82/140, 7/3

Darnold was a consensus first round pick and top 3 QB in his draft class while Lance was not.

Second, Darnold has never been in a situation like he's in now, he has the best coaches, weapons, and defense he's had since he got drafted. His head coaches before this season have been Todd Bowles, Adam Gase, Matt Rhule, and Steve Wilks. I think it's safe to say Shanahan and company is a HUGE upgrade over all of them.

Lastly, Darnold played pretty well last season in Carolina under Wilks (who is SF DC now) with a 4-2 record, 9 total TDs, 3 INTs, and a 92.6 rating. SF is hoping he can build on that stretch. I don't see a reason he can't if he gets playing time in San Fran.

Bottom line, I'd rather have Darnold as QB2 at this point over Lance.

There was absolutely NOTHING that even said to me that this guy should be taken in the first round, nevermind give up an insane ransom to move all the way up for.

Sometimes I'm mindboggled at what ppl who live and breath this game see. Esp when it's their profession.

Ya, injuries and such... But it's not even that to me. You look at the basics. Look at the "tape" (if you can find any, he started as many games as some of us have in a doggy doodoo conference).

Anyways... The kid seems nice. But they doomed him from day one heaping ALL that pressure on him.
Yeah, I had much the same thoughts but when SF took him I changed my mind enough to take him 1.02 in my SF dynasty. Over Jamar flippin Chase. :bag: Probably my worst “surely the pros know more than me” decision.

2020 - 12, 217/364, 9/11
2021 - 11, 243/406, 9/13
2022 - 6, 82/140, 7/3

Darnold was a consensus first round pick and top 3 QB in his draft class while Lance was not.

Second, Darnold has never been in a situation like he's in now, he has the best coaches, weapons, and defense he's had since he got drafted. His head coaches before this season have been Todd Bowles, Adam Gase, Matt Rhule, and Steve Wilks. I think it's safe to say Shanahan and company is a HUGE upgrade over all of them.

Lastly, Darnold played pretty well last season in Carolina under Wilks (who is SF DC now) with a 4-2 record, 9 total TDs, 3 INTs, and a 92.6 rating. SF is hoping he can build on that stretch. I don't see a reason he can't if he gets playing time in San Fran.

Bottom line, I'd rather have Darnold as QB2 at this point over Lance.
Yeah, Darnold is on a career backup trajectory for sure but he couldn't have ended up in a better position.

Lance's concern's are well documented but I think Purdy is hardly a lock to continue his late season success. Big time effort guy and an all-day-every-day work ethic but a full off-season of DCs studying his film and a significant injury to his already suspect arm will leave the door open to competition.

1QB leagues: 10000% droppable
redraft yes, dynasty no.
I mean dynasty of course. But I play in FFPC style leagues with only 16 keepers and 20 roster spots. A roster clogger in that kind of dynasty format.
I agree then. Might be better to mention that before making a blanket statement that he is automatically droppable, because FFPC style isn’t necessarily the norm.

redraft yes, dynasty no.
I mean dynasty of course. But I play in FFPC style leagues with only 16 keepers and 20 roster spots. A roster clogger in that kind of dynasty format.
I agree then. Might be better to mention that before making a blanket statement that he is automatically droppable, because FFPC style isn’t necessarily the norm.
Might be better for you to say “dynasty no…. in leagues with deeper benches”. Right? It cuts both ways.

just messing around. It’s a fairy tale football board. This is stuff is supposed to be fun…which rostering Lance is NOT.

It has been said already, Shanny doesn’t care about draft position. They have been on the Purdy train and continue to sing
redraft yes, dynasty no.
Might be better for you to say “dynasty no…. in leagues with deeper benches”. Right? It cuts both ways.

just messing around. It’s a fairy tale football board. This is stuff is supposed to be fun…which rostering Lance is NOT.
I cut him, but 1 QB - 12 team - 18 man rosters….so pretty easy choice. I was excited about Shanahan being able to build a QB from his lab but the setbacks Lance had early on cost him dearly. No guarantees he would have succeeded without them and certainly has time to improve, but at this juncture he is a headache on a shallow roster.

Yeah, I had much the same thoughts but when SF took him I changed my mind enough to take him 1.02 in my SF dynasty. Over Jamar flippin Chase. :bag: Probably my worst “surely the pros know more than me” decision.

Ts and Ps. That's a nasty one. I've never played superflex, but get how "overvalued" QBs are in it.

Ts and Ps. That's a nasty one. I've never played superflex, but get how "overvalued" QBs are in it.
I got over it and was able to win the SB last year but dang my team would look sweet with chase.

Users who are viewing this thread