What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

QB Zach Wilson, DEN (4 Viewers)

Twitter Docs saying torn ACL...but they've been wrong before.

I really can't stand these guys who look at a video from their couch and "diagnose" injuries. Seems easy to say "ACL," then if it's wrong, they just go, "Phew!" and if it's right, they go, "See? I told you."

They're not saying anything different than we are in here. When you watch it, it's typical of an ACL injury. We just hope it wasn't that severe.

I really can't stand these guys who look at a video from their couch and "diagnose" injuries. Seems easy to say "ACL," then if it's wrong, they just go, "Phew!" and if it's right, they go, "See? I told you."
PFD is pretty good at this stuff. I believe he actually publishes his accuracy rate. He was a long time team physician for the Chargers so he’s not just some rando watching on his couch.

They're not saying anything different than we are in here. When you watch it, it's typical of an ACL injury. We just hope it wasn't that severe.

Sports Injury Central

@SICscore

Breaking News
New York #Jets QB Zach Wilson suffered a torn ACL on this play when he planted his foot while attempting to cut upfield, according to our Pro Football Docs

I don't know, I think there's a difference between what we do here on a message board and tweeting out that "ZACH WILSON TORE HIS ACL (according to a doctor who watched the video)" to thousands of people, which then gets picked up and spread as fact. I think these sports doctors are valuable at providing context for injuries. I think they do a disservice when they purport to diagnose serious injuries by watching a video.

Sports Injury Central
@SICscore

Breaking News
New York #Jets QB Zach Wilson suffered a torn ACL on this play when he planted his foot while attempting to cut upfield, according to our Pro Football Docs

I don't know, I think there's a difference between what we do here on a message board and tweeting out that "ZACH WILSON TORE HIS ACL (according to a doctor who watched the video)" to thousands of people, which then gets picked up and spread as fact. I think these sports doctors are valuable at providing context for injuries. I think they do a disservice when they purport to diagnose serious injuries by watching a video.

Ah ok, gotcha. Yeah, I agree that's different.

Sports Injury Central
@SICscore

Breaking News

That specific doctor is usually correct tho.

Why was he even playing game 1 of the preseason? Sigh.
Hurts played.
Just saw that. And read he took a vicious late hit doing so. Neither should be playing. Sigh

I don't understand all of this wailing and gnashing of teeth over Josh Jacobs or anyone else playing football in the preseason. That's what the preseason is for, to play football and get actual game reps to develop chemistry, timing, etc. for the start of the regular season.

Hurts played.
Just saw that. And read he took a vicious late hit doing so. Neither should be playing. Sigh

I don't understand all of this wailing and gnashing of teeth over Josh Jacobs or anyone else playing football in the preseason. That's what the preseason is for, to play football and get actual game reps to develop chemistry, timing, etc. for the start of the regular season.
Sorry, no. The preseason games are meaningless.

In the past, the 3rd preseason game was considered “dress rehearsal” and starters would play 1-2 quarters.

The preseason is to determine who the final cuts are and who’s going to make the roster. Safe to say, both Hurts & Zach Wilson were going to make their respective rosters.

Now, that said, an ACL’s an ACL’s an ACL. If it’s gonna snap, it’s gonna snap. So in this case at least he’ll be back sooner:

But the preseason historically is not for starters. That’s why people made a big deal out of Jacobs - because it’s sends a message that he’s not a critical part of the raiders roster if they’re willing to risk him in game 1 of the preseason.

With the shorter preseason, coaches are more willing to take risks to get game-action reps. I get it. But I still think it’s a risk not worth taking.

Hurts played.
Mariotta and Goff started the game before as well. I think most teams start their starter for a series or 2 in the first game.
Yeah - it seems to be the trend with the shorter preseason schedule.

Like I just said, I still think it’s an unnecessary risk.

Hurts played.

In the past, the 3rd preseason game was considered “dress rehearsal” and starters would play 1-2 quarters.

The preseason is to determine who the final cuts are and who’s going to make the roster. Safe to say, both Hurts & Zach Wilson were going to make their respective rosters.

Now, that said, an ACL’s an ACL’s an ACL. If it’s gonna snap, it’s gonna snap. So in this case at least he’ll be back sooner:

But the preseason historically is not for starters. That’s why people made a big deal out of Jacobs - because it’s sends a message that he’s not a critical part of the raiders roster if they’re willing to risk him in game 1 of the preseason.

With the shorter preseason, coaches are more willing to take risks to get game-action reps. I get it. But I still think it’s a risk not worth taking.

I guess we'll agree to disagree.

Starters often play the first few series of downs in the first game if they're not established stars. Wilson is not. This is not a Jets malfunction. It's a knee malfunction.

Starters often play the first few series of downs in the first game if they're not established stars. Wilson is not. This is not a Jets malfunction. It's a knee malfunction.
Not blaming anyone - just saying my personal feelings on playing players in the preseason that you know will make the team.

Or at least simplifying the offense so he’s not out there scrambling.

But again, I’m old school. I remember when starters did’t play until the 3rd game & the 4th was scrub ball.

Not blaming anyone - just saying my personal feelings on playing players in the preseason that you know will make the team.

Or at least simplifying the offense so he’s not out there scrambling.

But again, I’m old school. I remember when starters did’t play until the 3rd game & the 4th was scrub ball.

Lol, old school is playing your players to get them ready for the season.

Salah says that the ACL is "supposed to be intact" but that doesn't necessarily mean anything until further tests. However, the trainers/doctors can usually tell in about 15 seconds, unless there's already swelling.

I'm on the side of playing Wilson was the right thing to do. This could have easily happened in practice too, it was non-contact after all.

Pretty much all players that aren't fully established stars should play in the preseason in my opinion. In the case of the Jets, that means everyone, in the case of say Green Bay, I'm fine with guys like Rodgers and Jones sitting.

Looking forward, I'm not sure Zach Wilson being out, isn't good news for the fantasy values of Jets skill players. Smallish sample size, but guys like Elijah Moore and Michael Carter were both more productive when he was out a year ago.

Hurts played.

Hard disagree with your take. Guys are going to get hurt whether it’s in practice, preseason, or during the season. You could argue not getting guys out there at full speed increases their risk of injury. And as a fan I don’t want to see half *** football the first month because they’re getting used to playing for real. This stuff is part of football.

Hurts played.

Hard disagree with your take. Guys are going to get hurt whether it’s in practice, preseason, or during the season. You could argue not getting guys out there at full speed increases their risk of injury. And as a fan I don’t want to see half *** football the first month because they’re getting used to playing for real. This stuff is part of football.
I’m just saying how it used to be, and how I feel about it. It’s a debate that’s gone on for years and will continue to go on for years.

I respect your take. My take is different.

I’d be surprised if we see any more meaningless play from significant starters the rest of this preseason at least.

Hurts played.
Didn't Lance play too?
Yep, so did Goff, Mariota, Watson, Lawrence, and D.Jones.
Like I said, since they shortened the preseason they started doing tbis.

Doesn’t mean I have to like it.

Hurts played.
Didn't Lance play too?

I think you're misremembering here HSG. The trend of not playing starters as a norm is less than a decade old. And, iirc, three preseason games only started last year.

Starters, even marquee players, which Wilson is not, often play the first series of preseason games. Two series if the first is a dud. That was a norm long before switching to three preseason games, which incentives playing your starters.

It was a freak accident but it doesn't mean he shouldn't have been out there.

Hurts played.
Didn't Lance play too?

I think you're misremembering here HSG. The trend of not playing starters as a norm is less than a decade old. And, iirc, three preseason games only started last year.

Starters, even marquee players, which Wilson is not, often play the first series of preseason games. Two series if the first is a dud. That was a norm long before switching to three preseason games, which incentives playing your starters.

It was a freak accident but it doesn't mean he shouldn't have been out there.
This is my recollection too, FWIW.

This really sucks for the Jets (if his injury turns out to be an ACL), but I don't think they did anything out of the norm here.

Users who are viewing this thread