What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

WR Quentin Johnston, LAC (1 Viewer)

greenmountaingoat

Footballguy
Quentin Johnston, WR, TCU- 6'-4", 212 (shown as low as 193 some places but he looks more like the 212 listed in others)

2020- 8 games 22 for 487 yds and 2 TDs (two rushing TDs there too)

2021- 8 games 33 634 yds and 6 TDs

https://www.dynastynerds.com/devy-profile-quentin-johnston-wr-tcu/

https://www.nfldraftbuzz.com/Player/news/Quentin-Johnston-WR-TCU

https://www.profootballnetwork.com/quentin-johnston-wr-tcu-nfl-draft-scouting-report-2023/

https://www.risendraft.com/features-articles/quentin-johnston

It'll be interesting to see if his 22 stats match the devy community's enthusiasm/ his potential.

Last edited by a moderator:
My shotgun take on him while reviewing highlights for my dev draft was that he's reminiscent of past top 50 picks like Sidney Rice and Justin Hunter. That's sort of a backhanded compliment because those two guys went very high in the NFL draft, but also basically flopped as pros. Hunter had some very compelling athletic traits and was a straight-line monster with stride length and leaping ability that put any corner to shame. He was an elite level track athlete in the jumps. On the football field he had a long frame and could really get vertical.

I think part of Hunter's issue (apart from being thin with a lack of bulk) was that his long stride length made it difficult for him to operate in tight windows. He had great vertical speed, but was a lot less adept at generating separation on the full route tree than he was at just running in a straight line. That can be a problem in the NFL. I tend to gravitate towards WRs who have great quickness out of their route breaks because I think that's one of the most vital qualities for the position. If a player lacks that quality, it may not matter how fast he is vertically because he'll be too limited to stay on the field.

That would be my fear with Johnson. He's athletic, but he plays the game in big windows, whereas a lot of the NFL is about what happens in the phone booth. I'll go back and look at him again after the actual NFL draft, but my initial instinct was that he may be overdrafted based on athletic traits that he might not be able to access consistently in a way that creates production. The negative comparisons would be people like Hunter, Rice, Robert Meachem, and Hakeem Butler. The positive comparisons would be people like Calvin, DK, and Gordon. It's not impossible for a tall WR with a long stride to hit in a big way, but there's a strong bust potential here IMO.

Brent Sobleski
@brentsobleski

When I watch Quentin Johnston, I can't help but think of AJ Green at Georgia.
----------------------
Brent Sobleski
@brentsobleski

TCU's Quentin Johnston is a potential top-10 draft pick as a prototypical X-receiver, but I fully expect teammate Derius Davis to provide at least big play today. Dude is explosive, as a receiver and returner.

That 76-yard TD crosser is going to lock in his stock as a 1st round draft selection. He didn’t do a whole lot before that but that’s the “one game changing play” over a competition that Johnston is known for producing.

I am super-bothered by what a non-factor he was before that play. His only other big catch was a busted coverage where the DBs forgot about him. Duggan’s accuracy is highly questionable so it’s hard to know how much that affects Johnston’s production. He will be a polarizing player as we lead up to the draft.

That 76-yard TD crosser is going to lock in his stock as a 1st round draft selection. He didn’t do a whole lot before that but that’s the “one game changing play” over a competition that Johnston is known for producing.

I am super-bothered by what a non-factor he was before that play. His only other big catch was a busted coverage where the DBs forgot about him. Duggan’s accuracy is highly questionable so it’s hard to know how much that affects Johnston’s production. He will be a polarizing player as we lead up to the draft.
Same can be said about his college career prior to this year.

He’s got that prototypical size / speed you want from an alpha WR, but why didn’t he do anything in 2020 or 2021?

I’m not saying he isn’t for real, but I’ve seen quite a few folks expressing this very concern.

It’ll be interesting to see what the NFL thinks of him on draft day.

Weaknesses​

Gaining Separation​

As I mentioned earlier, Johnston is good at gaining leverage off the snap against soft coverage. But I believe that he needs to improve on his ability to separate at the top of routes. Although he has good acceleration off the snap, his top speed is often matched by opposing DBs. This makes it difficult for him to get open deep down the field. I also found that although he is a physical route runner, he is adequate at getting off the line quickly against press coverage. This sometimes completely takes him out of plays because he is not yet where he needs to be.

Run Blocking​

Given that Johnston has tremendous size, many people would believe that he is a solid blocker. Unfortunately, that is not the case in many circumstances. I should note that he is not a bad blocker, he just struggles at dominating players at the point of attack. He often wins when he is blocking smaller corners because he can overpower them. But I would not rely on his blocking ability when lined up opposite a bigger corner or a linebacker. Once he gets to the NFL, this will likely no longer be a big liability. This is because he will be shown how to use his size to his advantage.

Limited Route Tree​

Although Quentin Johnston is a tremendous athlete and gifted route runner, he is limited on the routes he can run. While at TCU, he has run only a certain number of routes, and this has made me question his ability. He is very effective when running short and intermediate routes due to his ability to pocket defenders. But I would like to see more of what he could do when running a variety of routes deep down the field. Once he goes through the pre-draft process, he will likely have to run a variety of routes to prove his worth. If he can prove that he is effective in all routes, then this will no longer be a weakness.

Taken from this report quentin-johnston-scouting-report

Garret Burrows a college football and draft writer says

"I would argue outside of having good hands, obviously, the two most important traits of a receiver are a good route tree and being able to create separation. Johnston has a dangerously limited route tree and struggles to create separation. He has good strength and a solid frame, but he won’t go up against Big-12 defensive backs in the NFL. He also runs incredibly upright. It’s not often you see him really sink his hips in cuts."

Yes, these are things that can be learned, I am aware. But I would much rather have an already polished receiver who I don’t have to wait around to figure it out."

Full article here Spoiler-It's about him being way over rated

I see with the way the games changing i think a team that wants to emulate what SF is doing will have him graded higher than he should be. Minus the injury Jaxson Smith-Ngiba is a better prospect in a normal receivers room

I like him, but I do believe he’s overrated. He’s that classic size/X-type WR everyone falls in love with hoping for the next Alshon Jeffery.

The last game exposed him quite a bit - he couldn’t get any separation on short-intermediate routes, to the point that he was barely targeted.

if he’s just a deep threat, that’s not going to translate to the NFL.

Hate to read too much into one game, but that was arguably close to NFL-level competition. In such a blowout I would have expected a massive line from Johnston. Instead it was kind of a wet fart of a game for him.

I've got 4-5-6 in my draft and I desperately want him to go before I pick.

Feel like I'll be compelled to take him, but he's just not for me at all. Not a fan.

I like him, but I do believe he’s overrated. He’s that classic size/X-type WR everyone falls in love with hoping for the next Alshon Jeffery.

The last game exposed him quite a bit - he couldn’t get any separation on short-intermediate routes, to the point that he was barely targeted.

Hate to read too much into one game, but that was arguably close to NFL-level competition. In such a blowout I would have expected a massive line from Johnston. Instead it was kind of a wet fart of a game for him.

If he is the next Alshon Jeffery, the Dynasty Owners who invest a high pick in him will not be happy.

No doubt the Championship game against Georgia was a disappointment, but I don't think Johnston falls out of the tier 1 of receivers for me. Johnston (and TCU, for that matter) is who we thought he was. I currently have him as my WR3, behind Jaxon Smith-Njigba and Jordan Addison. Johnston has arguably the highest potential ceiling of this receiver class. He isn't going to win with his route running, but Johnston's physical skills alone make him an enticing prospect, and I believe he can be coached up on his deficiencies.

If he is the next Alshon Jeffery, the Dynasty Owners who invest a high pick in him will not be happy.

Perhaps that was a hastily made comp.

Perhaps that was a hastily made comp.

I get it though...he had all the tools, had a few good years and had a big name...then when you look at his stats you say "is that all he did?"

Weaknesses​

Gaining Separation​

As I mentioned earlier, Johnston is good at gaining leverage off the snap against soft coverage. But I believe that he needs to improve on his ability to separate at the top of routes. Although he has good acceleration off the snap, his top speed is often matched by opposing DBs. This makes it difficult for him to get open deep down the field. I also found that although he is a physical route runner, he is adequate at getting off the line quickly against press coverage. This sometimes completely takes him out of plays because he is not yet where he needs to be.

Run Blocking​

Given that Johnston has tremendous size, many people would believe that he is a solid blocker. Unfortunately, that is not the case in many circumstances. I should note that he is not a bad blocker, he just struggles at dominating players at the point of attack. He often wins when he is blocking smaller corners because he can overpower them. But I would not rely on his blocking ability when lined up opposite a bigger corner or a linebacker. Once he gets to the NFL, this will likely no longer be a big liability. This is because he will be shown how to use his size to his advantage.

Limited Route Tree​

Although Quentin Johnston is a tremendous athlete and gifted route runner, he is limited on the routes he can run. While at TCU, he has run only a certain number of routes, and this has made me question his ability. He is very effective when running short and intermediate routes due to his ability to pocket defenders. But I would like to see more of what he could do when running a variety of routes deep down the field. Once he goes through the pre-draft process, he will likely have to run a variety of routes to prove his worth. If he can prove that he is effective in all routes, then this will no longer be a weakness.

"I would argue outside of having good hands, obviously, the two most important traits of a receiver are a good route tree and being able to create separation. Johnston has a dangerously limited route tree and struggles to create separation. He has good strength and a solid frame, but he won’t go up against Big-12 defensive backs in the NFL. He also runs incredibly upright. It’s not often you see him really sink his hips in cuts."

Yes, these are things that can be learned, I am aware. But I would much rather have an already polished receiver who I don’t have to wait around to figure it out."

I see with the way the games changing i think a team that wants to emulate what SF is doing will have him graded higher than he should be. Minus the injury Jaxson Smith-Ngiba is a better prospect in a normal receivers room
That sounds a like Pickens in the draft process last year (except maybe the blocking- Pickens is a pretty enthusiastic blocker).
Johnston is at least good after the catch, unlike Pickens.
I'm probably going to fall for him and take him somewhere, but he's more raw than you'd usually like out of a top 2-3 wr in a class.

Weaknesses​

Gaining Separation​

Run Blocking​

Limited Route Tree​

That sounds a like Pickens in the draft process last year (except maybe the blocking- Pickens is a pretty enthusiastic blocker).
Johnston is at least good after the catch, unlike Pickens.
I'm probably going to fall for him and take him somewhere, but he's more raw than you'd usually like out of a top 2-3 wr in a class.
I would much prefer downs, or taking a chance on Keyshawn Boutte. Or waiting, and grabbing a guy like flowers. I like all of those guys more than Quentin Johnston.

Separation is very important. But I think something gets lost in the discussion when it gets framed as "good route runner vs bad route runner". Big receivers have some built in separation from their length and catch radius. So the route running bar they need to clear to be successful is lower for them.

Great route running while being smaller gets you open a lot. Pretty good route running while being a physical mismatch also gets you open a lot. Size has been overrated in the past for WRs and there's some swinging to the other side going on lately. But being big and athletic is still very helpful for WRs.

Obviously, everyone from TCU had a wet fart game. But I agree with you that he is overrated. I don't say that based on the championship game alone. I watched all or part of at least 9 games this year. You see someone who has what appears to be all the measurables, but for whatever reason it often just doesn't show up on the field. He does have some big play potential witch helps raise his stock, but it hasn't shown up against top competition. For the record, I also think Duggan is overrated (not from a heart and guts perspective, but in terms of arm talent) so that may be a factor in his less than dominant on field performance.

Obviously, everyone from TCU had a wet fart game. But I agree with you that he is overrated. I don't say that based on the championship game alone. I watched all or part of at least 9 games this year. You see someone who has what appears to be all the measurables, but for whatever reason it often just doesn't show up on the field. He does have some big play potential witch helps raise his stock, but it hasn't shown up against top competition. For the record, I also think Duggan is overrated (not from a heart and guts perspective, but in terms of arm talent) so that may be a factor in his less than dominant on field performance.
Oh, I agree. I’ve said in other posts it wasn’t just about the 1 game.

Similar to why I believe people shouldn’t just scout the helmet with Stroud, people shouldn’t only scout the physical traits of Johnston.

Dude can’t separate & his route running isn’t great. He has the physical tools to be a prototypical X WR, but his body of work leaves a lot to be desired.

Highlight reel is impressive - it loses a lot of luster when one watches whole games.

No doubt the Championship game against Georgia was a disappointment, but I don't think Johnston falls out of the tier 1 of receivers for me. Johnston (and TCU, for that matter) is who we thought he was. I currently have him as my WR3, behind Jaxon Smith-Njigba and Jordan Addison. Johnston has arguably the highest potential ceiling of this receiver class. He isn't going to win with his route running, but Johnston's physical skills alone make him an enticing prospect, and I believe he can be coached up on his deficiencies.
i think addison is the biggest gamble of the three

His size is a concern, both height & weight.

Great speed and separation though - he could be a very good WR, but I don’t see him as a WR1 anywhere.

He’s another dude I think will be drafted before guys like Downs, Boutte, & Flowers (and a couple others) but will not be as successful in the NFL.

Landing spot will have a lot to do with that, as always.

I didn't follow him much this year, but his numbers with Williams/Riley have to be considered a bit disappointing given the hype, right?

I've got 4-5-6 in my draft and I desperately want him to go before I pick.

Feel like I'll be compelled to take him, but he's just not for me at all. Not a fan.
I am in the same boat... I have 1, 7, 8, 9, 13 & 15 ... I need WR but QJ is not my primary target. Hoping either JSN/ Boutte/ Mayer are available for me.
The gave vs Georgia was very telling. I realize he was doubled but he is expected to be Top Tier WR and he did not show 2nd tier

Brent Sobleski
@brentsobleski

When I watch Quentin Johnston, I can't help but think of AJ Green at Georgia.
----------------------
Brent Sobleski
@brentsobleski

TCU's Quentin Johnston is a potential top-10 draft pick as a prototypical X-receiver, but I fully expect teammate Derius Davis to provide at least big play today. Dude is explosive, as a receiver and returner.
I see it too. AJ Green is a great upside comp. Some bust risk, but yeah this is a good thought. Pair him at 1.12 with Hou's new QB could be interesting.

Elite yac and physical ability, unrefined and kinda lazy looking route runner.
It sounds like Deebo Samuel coming out to me, or at least Kyle shannahan's description of deebo after they drafted him.
Landing with a good offensive coach that will use his strengths early without needing him to be super refined would help him produce while he gets better at routes. I'm still pretty intrigued, but landing spot will be important.

Not saying Deebo as a physical comp, just saying that based on his strength after the catch and not great route running acumen coming in. I think my physical comp is still George Pickens with better YAC ability.

Last edited:
NFL
NFL Rookie Watch @NFLRookieWatxh
ESPN’s Todd McShay said that he believes “if any WR goes in the top-10” it would be Quentin Johnston.

The TCU WR led the team in receptions, receiving yards, and receiving TD’s this past season 👀

PFF College @PFF_College
Quentin Johnston: 18 catches of 25+ yards last season

Led all players💥

Elite yac and physical ability, unrefined and kinda lazy looking route runner.
It sounds like Deebo Samuel coming out to me, or at least Kyle shannahan's description of deebo after they drafted him.
Landing with a good offensive coach that will use his strengths early without needing him to be super refined would help him produce while he gets better at routes. I'm still pretty intrigued, but landing spot will be important.
Yeah maybe a good way to think about him. He's bigger and faster, younger and more healthy as well. He's just so unrefined, makes me very nervous. Like you said landing spot will be key. If he lands on a team that will set him up with schemed plays then he could make a quick impact. If he gets one of these, "you have to run all the routes perfectly to get on the field" then it could be a tough road for him.

Special physical talent with lots of room to grow as a technician. In that way very similar to Burks even if their physical special-ness is quite different.

One of the things that stood out to me when I watched highlights was how when he's facing the QB he tends to juke the CB as he's catching the ball then explode upfield. A ton of his missed tackles seem to be of this variety. I haven't been studying WRs my whole life so I don't know how common this is. Without having done a deep dive I do wonder if his instincts are a double edged sword.

Users who are viewing this thread