What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Questioning our existence and other :tinfoilhat: theories about our own reality (1 Viewer)

This really shouldn't be this hard people. The title of the damn thread is "Questioning our existence and other :tinfoilhat: theories about our own reality " I prefaced everything by saying it sounds crazy and these are just fun thoughts. This isn't concrete science. This isn't an attack on religion. This isn't an attack at all. 

LOL, I mean really. 
I am one of the more orthodox people around when it comes to faith, I think. Very similar to Jayrod.  I'm not at all threatened by and am fascinated by discussions like this, so I appreciate you bringing it up.  And thanks to all for some of the links...I'm about half way through the Schoch Rogan pod and thoroughly enjoying it.

If the only positive we get from Hancock is the introduction to Randall Carlson and the late John Anthony West then that’s a net positive. 
:thumbup:

My take: God exists and He/She has a sense of humor. Explains an awful lot. 
He got all the fear Me stuff out of the way in the Old Testament. He's the kinder, gentler dude in your neighborhood who takes cares of his neighbors when they need a hand, hands out full size candy bars at Halloween and invites strangers in for dinner at Thanksgiving.

Just so we're clear, I've been a believer for about a decade now. I still find all this stuff fascinating. I'm open minded enough to have room in my world for both because at the end of the day, I haven't heard a good answer for what happened before the Big Bang. We're getting closer but still not there. That's where God fills my void. Anyhow, not here to debate that at all just giving you a glimpse at where I'm coming from.

I prefaced what I said about evolution with “Ill start with things Im mostly convinced of, but not positive:”.

So if you’re just going to denounce me simply based on that, and then be closed minded about everything else then maybe this isn’t the thread for you. 

This is simply a fun discussion about ideas and theories that are outside the accepted norms. That’s it’s. I’m not teaching your or my kids this crazy stuff. 
So what are the big pieces of evidence you looked at that mostly convinced you evolution isn't real?

I'll have to dig something up. It's an offshoot of many-worlds, based on the Quantum Suicide thought experiment. Basically that of all the possible branching that could exist, your perception is on the track that leads to a certain destination. All the branches that leads to other outcomes, you don't experience and aren't in your history or your future. 
Hmmm...never thought about using that to discount evolution or natural selection. My not so educated stab at it would be that in the most grand sense if every possibility exists than there is no such thing as chance or the idea of "course of nature". However, the universe that we are currently in, randomness or chance or natural selection does very much exist. If you exist in the infinite, that means in the infinite you as a person have evolved into every adult version of yourself possible: drug addict, murderer, doctor, NFL coach, adult film director, married, single, divorced, gay, etc. So natural selection is meaningless because all possibilities have evolved and chance or fitness or genetic mutations were both meaningless and inevitable. However, that wouldn't convince most people to have the conviction to say nothing I choose to do or say matters because every possible version of me already exists. Because we live in this one particular universe and have to deal with the results directly. We can't escape to a different version of our self if we are unhappy with things(or if we can, we don't know how- maybe death?). 

I do think there is something to the idea of determinism. The idea that the choices we think we are making, we aren't actually making. We are experiencing what it is like to be us but we are not actually us. We are compelled to make certain decisions. I see this in how people often choose to do things so far against their best interest. People ask for advice and do the opposite anyway. People will make really massive decisions and often be totally unable to explain why.  Or they will make the decision first and then try to come up with reasons why after. 

Last edited by a moderator:
Where did I do this, cause that was not my intention? (So I can edit that post to be more clear)
Eh, it was just how you used "open mind" a few times.  I was probably just in a serious and grumpy mood after reading a bunch of anti-science (mostly anti-vax) stuff somewhere else.  Didn't mean to be the grouch in a thread intended for fun. Sorry about that.  (But still... evolution? :P

Since the universe is older and bigger than I can comprehend, I keep an open mind on possibilities in regards to our existence and the history of the Earth.   Sure, I wish I knew how it started and how humans came to be.  Just the bits of the history of the Earth that we do know is incredible and we don’t know much.  

Thinking about this stuff always makes me feel small and insignificant.   We are nothing in the grand scheme of things, as is the Earth and even our universe.  

Ilov80s said:
. If you exist in the infinite, that means in the infinite you as a person have evolved into every adult version of yourself possible: drug addict, murderer, doctor, NFL coach, adult film director, married, single, divorced, gay, etc.
Not only that, but you've lived those lives infinite times. You've done all of this before...

Last edited by a moderator:
What would be a rational reason for the CIA to holdback the truth about any ancient civilization?  Like why does it even matter?  

This is my same question to Flat Earthers -- what is the need to lie about the shape of the earth?

Not only that, but you've lived those lives infinite times. You've done all of this before...

One thing I really don't like about the many-worlds hypothesis is what it means for daily life. Every day you go out there and get killed by a drunk driver, your house gets crushed by a meteor from outer space, some random genetic mutation decides to ravage your organs, your dog spontaneously combusts, etc. All events of non-zero likelihood happen to you all the time. Every time you say goodbye to someone, it's the last time in one universe. Every time you go to sleep you die in bed in some universe. Every time you poop, a diseased rat climbs up the sewer pipe and bites your junk off in some universe. It's one thing to go through life accepting the one-in-a-billion odds that these things might happen, it's another to live life knowing they must happen to you. 
But the relief from that is above, NBD if your dog spontaneously combusts because the dog has done it a million times before and will just come back to do it again. 

Cool thread and thanks for all the links. Lots to go through :thumbup:  

I always try to keep and open mind to a lot of things that are being discussed, mostly because it is fun the speculate. But I do need more than triangles in the sky to be swayed. As someone else mentioned, with all of the cameras readily available on everyone's phones, we should be seeing more evidence than we are. 

I was raised Lutheran and although I believe there was a man named Jesus, I've always had a hard time believing in his divinity. For many years, I considered myself a Hopeful Agnostic but as I've gotten older I have become content with a Taoist mindset and feel that, unless a miracle happens, I will be happy to pursue the Way until my time on Earth is over. 

Book written in 1965 that has been HEAVILY Sanitized by the CIA Bizarre Secret Files Released on Lost Ancient Human Civilizations…

Why and how did the CIA stop this book....in 1965?

They scrubbed 80% of the book in 2013 and didnt re-release it until 2016. (It was only released at all due to the freedom of information act,)

Note: somebody reprinted the "complete book" not that long ago but all the CIA scrubbed pages are blank.
https://www.reddit.com/r/conspiracy/comments/b7imlc/the_adam_and_eve_story_the_story_of_cataclysms_by/ejtg2hu/

So, in summary, one copy of the 1965 book "The Adam and Eve Story" was included in a classified CIA file, along with some other papers. The book was published in multiple editions over the years and was widely available. It was never banned or classified. The declassified file from the CIA apparently includes the entire contents of the book. The book's author "Chan Thomas" is Chauncey P. Thomas, originally of Scarsdale, NY.

We were watching re-runs of Home Improvement last night and Wilson Wilson had a line that went something like this:

"My biggest concern is that we are all just characters in someone's dream and when they wake up, we will no longer exist" :oldunsure:  
That's a long ####### dream. 

oh man, came up with theory one time, that when you die, your memory doesn't, because it was made of electrical impulses and you can't create or destroy energy, so what happens when you die is that you relive your memory, having no memory of it happening before.  And it's a loop.  So when right now I could be experiencing this for the first time, or it's just one of the loops of my memory.  No way for me to tell.  Could be the 20th, or 1,907,095th time.  

oh man, came up with theory one time, that when you die, your memory doesn't, because it was made of electrical impulses and you can't create or destroy energy, so what happens when you die is that you relive your memory, having no memory of it happening before.  And it's a loop.  So when right now I could be experiencing this for the first time, or it's just one of the loops of my memory.  No way for me to tell.  Could be the 20th, or 1,907,095th time.  
And this explains deja vu.

Users who are viewing this thread