What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Raiders Interview Marinelli (1 Viewer)

wannabee

Footballguy
Raiders Interview Bucs Defensive Line Coach Marinelli

Oakland Talks to Third Candidate to Take Over for Fired Turner

By JANIE McCAULEY, AP

ALAMEDA, Calif. (Jan. 16) - The Oakland Raiders interviewed Tampa Bay Buccaneers defensive line coach Rod Marinelli on Monday, the third candidate brought in to discuss the team's coaching vacancy.

Marinelli just completed his 10th season as assistant head coach and D-line coach for the Bucs. His unit helped establish an NFL record with 69 straight games with at least one sack from 1999-2003.

Raiders owner Al Davis and his top personnel chief, Michael Lombardi, interviewed Kansas City Chiefs offensive coordinator Al Saunders last Wednesday as a potential successor to Norv Turner, fired Jan. 3 after consecutive losing seasons. The Raiders lost their final six games this season and failed to beat an AFC West opponent for the first time since Davis came aboard in 1963 to coach and eventually own the team.

Hall of Fame receiver James Lofton, the San Diego Chargers' receivers coach, interviewed at team headquarters Thursday. The 49-year-old Lofton, a native Californian elected to the Pro Football Hall of Fame in 2003, was the first minority candidate to meet with the Raiders.

Lofton played 17 NFL seasons, including 1987-88 for the Los Angeles Raiders.

Saunders, also interviewed by Davis when the Raiders hired Bill Callahan before the 2002 season, was an All-American defensive back at San Jose State and also attended Stanford. He served as an assistant head coach, quarterbacks coach and offensive coordinator at California from 1976-81. He is the type of offensive-minded coach Davis has preferred in the past.

Just like Saunders and Lofton, Marinelli has ties to California.

Marinelli, a 20-year college assistant and native of Southern California, joined the Bucs after serving as defensive line coach at USC in 1995 under John Robinson. Marinelli spent the 1992-94 seasons as assistant head coach and D-line coach at Arizona State.

Before that, Marinelli worked at Cal. He coached the Golden Bears' defensive line from 1983-1991, adding assistant head coach to his duties during his last two seasons at the school.

In January 2004, the Bucs denied the New York Jets permission to talk to Marinelli about becoming their defensive coordinator.

01/16/06 15:42 EST

Most people prefer their marinelli with red sauce, but you should swim against the current and try it with alfredo!Mama mia!

Do the Raiders have the personnel to convert to the "Tampa 2"? We know Sapp is there, but what about the corners? Great pass-covering MLB?

Given that the primary hiring criteria for Davis, dating back more than a decade, is how well they lick his boots, it's no wonder we've not really heard of this candidate either. It still cracks me up that they ran the one guy out of there who had a backbone - Gruden. I always thought that Davis misjudged on him and thought he was getting a young, wide-eyed pup who'd bend to his will. And Gruden of course he also built the most successful Raiders team of the last decade.

It still cracks me up that they ran the one guy out of there who had a backbone - Gruden.
Gruden wasn't exactly run out of town. He wanted to go to Florida (has family there, and made it known that he was going to explore options when his contract was up, so Davis did the smart thing and traded him. Now Turner and Callahan, they were run out of town.

It still cracks me up that they ran the one guy out of there who had a backbone - Gruden. 
Gruden wasn't exactly run out of town. He wanted to go to Florida (has family there, and made it known that he was going to explore options when his contract was up, so Davis did the smart thing and traded him. Now Turner and Callahan, they were run out of town.
And Bugel, and White . . .

I hope this guy gets to DET.. between the McKay/Dungy and Gruden efforts in TB I think he has seen a great deal on how two programs can be good, and get grown.. I am Gruden Slappy, but don't discount what McKay and Dungy built in TB...Maybe Dungy decides to come home??

Given that the primary hiring criteria for Davis, dating back more than a decade, is how well they lick his boots, it's no wonder we've not really heard of this candidate either. It still cracks me up that they ran the one guy out of there who had a backbone - Gruden. I always thought that Davis misjudged on him and thought he was getting a young, wide-eyed pup who'd bend to his will. And Gruden of course he also built the most successful Raiders team of the last decade.
Just because you don't know him, he's far from being some pushover.Marinelli is about the last person in the NFL I would consider a boot-licker.

Users who are viewing this thread