What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Random funny/fascinating/cool/odd stuff: the other white meat... snake?? (1 Viewer)

U.S. Fighter Jets Could Soon Be Armed With Lasers (for missile defense)

A laser weapon, called The Self-Protect High-Energy Laser Demonstrator (SHiELD) passed a crucial test last month. Designed to defend U.S. Air Force aircraft from inbound air-to-air missiles, SHiELD torched several missiles in flight. Defensive lasers could revolutionize aerial warfare and lead to a second revolution with even more profound implications for air warfare—offensive lasers.

I’m in Seattle for work. For those that don’t know, Seattle has a pretty large homeless population. Today I went down to the pikes Place market. First, I must say, while there were homeless people. It wasn’t as many as I expected. Think the Vegas strip and you got the right idea as far as numbers. Anyways, you have the typical guys drumming on buckets, playing guitar, etc. Then it happened. I saw some guys hustle that I’ve never seen before. As I’m walking by, He whips out a card in the protective case and asked me if I want to buy a baseball card. 😀🤷‍♂️

Cjw_55106 said:
I’m in Seattle for work. For those that don’t know, Seattle has a pretty large homeless population. Today I went down to the pikes Place market. First, I must say, while there were homeless people. It wasn’t as many as I expected. Think the Vegas strip and you got the right idea as far as numbers. Anyways, you have the typical guys drumming on buckets, playing guitar, etc. Then it happened. I saw some guys hustle that I’ve never seen before. As I’m walking by, He whips out a card in the protective case and asked me if I want to buy a baseball card. 😀🤷‍♂️
Thanks,  I've been looking to replace my lost Billy Ripken card.

Cjw_55106 said:
Honus Wagner?

The videos are crazy.  There's a special airing on History this Friday, I believe, about this.  I was reading an article about this and it referenced the special.  The article seemed normal so I set my DVR up to record it.  I just saw a commercial for the special yesterday and it looks odd.  But I'm going to give it a watch.  

I just learned about deep fakes tonite. Very interesting concept I think. You can picture it acting as a weapon similar to Inception or Aria in GoT

This is going to be a massive problem. It’s already hard to discern truth. Makes it easier to be gaslit, and for the untrustworthy to claim you can’t believe anything but what they say. Plays right into our worst flaws as a species. 
I was listening to a podcast a couple months ago and the two guys were talking about this and saying by the 2024 election, this could be a big deal.  The fact that we used to always be able to prove things with video would be hard for us to unlearn.  That just because we see someone say something or do something no longer means it actually happened.  It was a very interesting talk.  But they ended up being off by about 4 years.  Because I can see this being used in the 2020 election.  Obviously it's scary for other reasons besides elections, but the talk was about it being a factor 5 years from now and it's crazy to think that the Zuck video pretty much proved that it's already upon us.  Not years out.  Very scary.

anyone else catch the story on NPR about how drone photography was used in Afghanistan in the early 2000s?

how the drones flew 24/7 and took one picture per second zoomed out to capture the entire city.. all day so that when bombs were set off, the US gov't could pull up photos from the precise moment of explosion, zoom in close enough to analyze people or vehicles fleeing the area.. and use subsequent photos to track those people back to their hideouts... which would then be raided by US special forces within hours.

only caught part of the story and would like to hear the rest but my google fu is not strong enough to find the story online again

The video of him in that link is downright depressing.  
A guy I used to hang out with up in Northern Cali played for the Phillies back when Dykstra was on the team.  He had some stories, man.

The one I remember most is where my buddy and Dykstra got into a cab at their team hotel to go to dinner with a bunch of the team.  Silence for a good 3-4 minutes, and out of nowhere, Dykstra says "you like that?" to my buddy.  Buddy kinda looks at him funny and says "huh?".  Dykstra repeats "you like that???"   This goes back and forth for a good minute, and finally Dykstra pulls his pant legs up to reveal these crazy-a$$ socks.  Points down at them and says "you like that?"   :loco:

mr. furley said:
anyone else catch the story on NPR about how drone photography was used in Afghanistan in the early 2000s?

how the drones flew 24/7 and took one picture per second zoomed out to capture the entire city.. all day so that when bombs were set off, the US gov't could pull up photos from the precise moment of explosion, zoom in close enough to analyze people or vehicles fleeing the area.. and use subsequent photos to track those people back to their hideouts... which would then be raided by US special forces within hours.

only caught part of the story and would like to hear the rest but my google fu is not strong enough to find the story online again
Nope, but definitely interested if you find it

A Mind Without A Brain: The Science Of Plant Intelligence Takes Root - Forbes - 2018

“My work is not about metaphors at all,” says Monica Gagliano. “When I talk about learning, I mean learning. When I talk about memory, I meanmemory.” Gagliano, an evolutionary ecologist, is talking about plants. She's adopted methods from behavioral experiments used to test animal intelligence and found that plants respond in a similar manner. The results of her research suggest plants might possess intelligence, memory and learning, although the mechanisms at play may be fundamentally different from those of humans and animals. Her book “Thus Spoke the Plant” will be out this fall.

If Gagliano’s interpretation of the data is correct, the scientific community may have to reckon with intelligent organisms independent of the traditional brain and nervous system model. If her interpretation of the data is correct, we may be in the early stages of waking up to a world long-populated by considerably more intelligent, sentient beings than previously acknowledged. It would be a major paradigm shift. Critics of plant intelligence emphatically insist this work is a fanciful delusion and that plant behavior is mechanistic, not intelligent. Meanwhile, Gagliano and other plant biologists have sparked a debate about our natural world that mirrors a contentious debate in the tech world: can artificial intelligence ever become, or be recognized as conscious intelligence independent of the traditional model of a biological brain and nervous system?

This is a topic I first was introduced to in the early 90's. It still fascinates me. I don't know enough to "take a side", but I very much prefer the idea of sentient plant life. Unfortunately, that is not enough to make it true.

Users who are viewing this thread