What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Rank each playoff team by position (1 Viewer)

Wheelhouse

Footballguy
How do you rank each of the remaining playoff teams by position?

Quarterback: IND, NE, DEN, CAR, SEA, PIT, WAS, CHI

Running Back: SEA, DEN, IND, PIT, CAR, WAS, NE, CHI

Wide Receiver: IND, CAR, DEN, SEA, WAS, PIT, NE, CHI

Defense: CHI, CAR, IND, NE, PIT, WAS, DEN, SEA

Coach: NE, DEN, WAS, PIT, CAR, SEA, IND, CHI

If each place in the rank was broke down into points (#1 rank = 8 pts, #2 rank = 7 pts, etc.)

IND: 8, 6, 8, 6, 2 = 30

DEN: 6, 7, 6, 2, 7 = 28

CAR: 5, 4, 7, 7, 4 = 27

NE: 7, 2, 2, 5, 8 = 24

SEA: 4, 8, 5, 1, 3 = 21

PIT: 3, 5, 3, 4, 5 = 20

WAS: 2, 3, 4, 3, 6 = 18

CHI: 1, 1, 1, 8, 1, = 12

Toughest decisions:

CAR vs. WAS in the RB rankings. Portis likely is the better RB than Foster, but it's hard to discount Foster's 150+ last week, plus his last 3 games.

Bill Cowher vs. John Fox - Cowher gets the nod over Fox due to longevity and success over Fox's 4-1 playoff record.

Last edited by a moderator:
Big Skins homer here, and I'll totally biased.....1. Gibbs is the best coach in the league.Bill Bellicheck has a losing career record without Tom Brady. How well has Shannahan done without Elway? Gibbs meanwhile has taken 3 different QBs to super bowl wins. The 1991 Redskins were a top team of all time, yet their talent was mediocre. This year's team is totally average when it comes to talent. No way Gibbs isn't the best coach in the league right now.FYI, they did this same thing on Cold Pizza two days ago. Woody Paige, who is as big of a Denver homer you can find, even listed Gibbs as the #1 coach left in the playoffs.2. I think that Portis is a top 5 back in the entire league yet alone of those left in the playoffs! YOu really think that Tatum Bell and Mike Anderson are better???!!!!! D Foster? Bettis(at this stage in his career) and FWP? Those are all a bunch of totally average RBs! Portis' numbers at his age are some of the best in the history of football. I can buy putting SA and Edge above him even though I personally wouldn't. But then when you factor in that they have a very good backup RB too, I simply don't see how Washington isn't at least top 3. Personally, I'd put them at #1.3.You say that you're crediting D Foster because of recent performances. Well then how is the Skins defense not higher? Go look at their numbers this past montn and a half. Look at their turnovers forced and the TDs they've scored themselves. I can't see how you can justify that. I put them at #2 behind the Bears.

I would rank the NE WRs (as a group) right behind IND.All the other teams ahead of them on that list are not as talented.....as a group.

My rankings:

QB:

Tier #1

NE, Ind,

Tier #2

Pit, Car, Den, Sea,

Tier #3

Was, Chi

RB:

Tier #1

Was, Ind, Sea,

Tier #2

Chi, Pit, NE, Car, Den

WR:

Tier #1

Ind, Car, Sea,

Tier #2

Pit, Was, Den, Chi, NE

D:

Tier #1

Chi, Was,

Tier #2

Ind, Car, Den, Pit, NE, Sea

Coach:

Tier #1

Was, NE,

Tier #2

Den,

Tier #3

Car, Chi, Pit, Ind, Sea

Didn't feel like typing out thoughts to every category, but feel free to ask about anything. Ranking the 2nd tier of WRs and coaches was the hardest and closest imo.

Woody Paige, who is as big of a complete an utter moron you can find, even listed Gibbs as the #1 coach left in the playoffs.
Fixed.And this whole "Belichick is a losing coach without Brady" thing is just stupid. Are you going to give all the credit for the past 4 years solely to Brady? Because that's what you're doing by making that statement....

Woody Paige, who is as big of a complete an utter moron you can find, even listed Gibbs as the #1 coach left in the playoffs.
Fixed.And this whole "Belichick is a losing coach without Brady" thing is just stupid. Are you going to give all the credit for the past 4 years solely to Brady? Because that's what you're doing by making that statement....
Not all to Brady, but he was the biggest part imho. The Pats were 0-2 in 2001 before he took over. Sure the rest of the team has played well and Bellicheck has coached well. But if hes such a great coach, then why does he have a losing record prior to playing with Brady? Bellicheck can win a title when he has one of the greatest QBs of all time...congrats, but I'm not all that impressed with that. Gibbs won 3 super bowls with totally average QBs and average surrounding talent.The 1987 Redskins team might have been the least talented team to ever win a super bowl...and they won the super bowl by 32 points! That is great coaching.

QBNE, IND, DEN, SEA, PITT, CAR, WSH, CHIRBSEA, IND, WSH, DEN, PITT, CHI, CAR, NEWRIND, NE, CAR, SEA, DEN, WSH, PITT, CHIDCHI, WSH, DEN, NE, CAR, IND, SEA, PITTCoachNE, WSH, DEN, CAR, IND, PITT, CHI, SEAIndy 77834 = 29NE 81758 = 29Den 65466 = 27Pitt 44213 = 14Sea 58521 = 21Wash 26377 = 25Car 32645 = 20Chi 13182 = 15

Not all to Brady, but he was the biggest part imho. The Pats were 0-2 in 2001 before he took over. Sure the rest of the team has played well and Bellicheck has coached well. But if hes such a great coach, then why does he have a losing record prior to playing with Brady? Bellicheck can win a title when he has one of the greatest QBs of all time...congrats, but I'm not all that impressed with that. Gibbs won 3 super bowls with totally average QBs and average surrounding talent.The 1987 Redskins team might have been the least talented team to ever win a super bowl...and they won the super bowl by 32 points! That is great coaching.
To be fair to Belichek, Brady wasnt Brady in 2001. The Patriots won the SB with an injured QB that had been 4th string the year before and never played his rookie year. The Pats beating the Rams in the 2001 SB as 14 point underdogs was probably the BEST coaching job in the history of the NFL.

Is Tony Dungy of the 102-57 career record really that low on all these lists? Any good reason for it? .642 is pretty darn good.

QB

NE, IND, DEN, SEA, PITT, CAR, WSH, CHI

RB

SEA, IND, WSH, DEN, PITT, CHI, CAR, NE

WR

IND, NE, CAR, SEA, DEN, WSH, PITT, CHI

D

CHI, WSH, DEN, NE, CAR, IND, SEA, PITT

Coach

NE, WSH, DEN, CAR, IND, PITT, CHI, SEA

Indy 77834 = 29

NE 81758 = 29

Den 65466 = 27

Pitt 44213 = 14

Sea 58521 = 21

Wash 26377 = 25

Car 32645 = 20

Chi 13182 = 15
NE has the 2nd best WRs? I totally disagree. I think they are very below average, but look a lot better due to playing with the best QB in the game.

QB

RB

WR

D

Coach

Indy 77834 = 29

NE 81758 = 29

Den 65466 = 27

Pitt 44213 = 14

Sea 58521 = 21

Wash 26377 = 25

Car 32645 = 20

Chi 13182 = 15
NE has the 2nd best WRs? I totally disagree. I think they are very below average, but look a lot better due to playing with the best QB in the game.
There are some VERY thin WR corps in the NFL playoffs this year. Look at the WR2s on Pitt, Chi, Sea, Car, Den and Was. Ugh. It gets even worse when you look at WR3.

QB

RB

WR

D

Coach

Indy  77834 = 29

NE  81758 = 29

Den  65466 = 27

Pitt  44213 = 14

Sea  58521 = 21

Wash 26377 = 25

Car  32645 = 20

Chi  13182 = 15
There are some VERY thin WR corps in the NFL playoffs this year. Look at the WR2s on Pitt, Chi, Sea, Car, Den and Was. Ugh. It gets even worse when you look at WR3.
:goodposting: There are a number of 1 man teams with regards to WR. And you have to include TE's in with the WR corp. The Pats are very balanced with Branch and Givens. Carolina is the best 1 man team with Steve Smith. Washington was better than Pitt and Chi simply because they had Chris Cooley.

The Defensive rankings and coaching rankings (after I got past Belichek, Gibbs and Shanahan) were very difficult. These are the premiere defenses in the league. There is really not a bad defense left.

To be fair to Belichek, Brady wasnt Brady in 2001. The Patriots won the SB with an injured QB that had been 4th string the year before and never played his rookie year. The Pats beating the Rams in the 2001 SB as 14 point underdogs was probably the BEST coaching job in the history of the NFL.
Brady wasn't Brady?? I will agree that super bowl was probably the most dominating example of a team being outcoached in the super bowl, but that has a lot to do with Martz too. Until I see Bellicheck take a different cast to a super bowl, I'll always be skeptical. He has to prove himself without Brady imho to be considered with Gibbs/Parcells/etc.

QB

RB

WR

D

Coach

Indy  77834 = 29

NE  81758 = 29

Den  65466 = 27

Pitt  44213 = 14

Sea  58521 = 21

Wash 26377 = 25

Car  32645 = 20

Chi  13182 = 15
fair point there. I guess I value a strong #1 more than depth, but I see your point.

Brady wasn't Brady?? I will agree that super bowl was probably the most dominating example of a team being outcoached in the super bowl, but that has a lot to do with Martz too. Until I see Bellicheck take a different cast to a super bowl, I'll always be skeptical. He has to prove himself without Brady imho to be considered with Gibbs/Parcells/etc.
Then he might NEVER prove it to you because Brady arguably has another 5-10 years as the NE QB.He took Cleveland to the Playoffs once in his first go round and then took the Pats to the Bowl in his 2nd season. Although the Pats had Brady, last year they had NO CB's left by the playoffs and they still won the SB.

The guy can coach.

Then he might NEVER prove it to you because Brady arguably has another 5-10 years as the NE QB.He took Cleveland to the Playoffs once in his first go round and then took the Pats to the Bowl in his 2nd season. Although the Pats had Brady, last year they had NO CB's left by the playoffs and they still won the SB.

The guy can coach.
Ok, but lets talk about his coaching job before Brady. Please defend him there. Why didn't he coach better? Why the losing record?The fact is that he has already had that chance and he failed at it.

The guy can coach.
Ok, but lets talk about his coaching job before Brady. Please defend him there. Why didn't he coach better? Why the losing record?The fact is that he has already had that chance and he failed at it.
With Cleveland, he took a horrible team to the Playoffs in his 3rd year. That would be the natural progression for a coach taking over a 4-12 team would it not? Then Art Modell happened. I believe the Browns were 3-3 when it was announced that the Browns were moving to Baltimore. The fans and the whole town turned on the team at that point and everyone in the organization went into survival mode. Who would be kept and go to Baltimore and who would be fired. Belichek was fired.He took over a Patriots team on the downfall and went 5-11 his first year. They won the SB his 2nd year and they have been lights out ever since.

I dont know what about the above indicates to you that the guy cant coach without Brady.

Ok, but lets talk about his coaching job before Brady. Please defend him there. Why didn't he coach better? Why the losing record?

The fact is that he has already had that chance and he failed at it.
Is it that hard to understand that he got better with experience like 95% of people?

As for Lovie Smith ranking last on these lists...Smith had great success coaching the LBs in Tampa from '96-'00, improved the Rams D in '01 from last in points allowed to 7th, set a franchise record with 46 takeaways in '03, and was COY this year.

Ok, but lets talk about his coaching job before Brady. Please defend him there. Why didn't he coach better? Why the losing record?

Many coaches get better with experience, just like players do. I believe the point of this thread was to compare the individual units and coaching staff of the current teams left in the playoffs right now.

Saying anything other than Belichek is the best coach in the NFL right now is simply spitting into the wind. The guy has repeatedly come up with game plans to shut down explosive offenses, overcome significant injuries, etc.

He's won 3 out of the last 4 Super Bowls-enough said.

Is Tony Dungy of the 102-57 career record really that low on all these lists? Any good reason for it? .642 is pretty darn good.
:whistle:
Agree completely but to play devil's advocate, this is the playoffs-what has he done in the playoffs?
Well he's got 3 playoff wins the last 2 years (not counting this year).Belichick has 6

Fox has 0 (1 if you count this year)

Gibbs has 0 (1 if you count this year)

Cowher has 1

Smith has 0

Shanahan has 0

Holmgren has 0

Dungy has pretty clearly been the second most successful HC in the playoffs in recent history of the 8 remaining.

Agree completely but to play devil's advocate, this is the playoffs-what has he done in the playoffs?
The landscape is just too tough. Who do you put Dungy or Smith ahead of?Belichek

Gibbs

Cowher

Fox

Holmgren

Shanahan

Each of these guys either has a SB win (or multiples) or a SB appearance.

I dont like Holmgren much but he did win a SB title.

The landscape is just too tough. Who do you put Dungy or Smith ahead of?Belichek

Gibbs

Cowher

Fox

Holmgren

Shanahan

Each of these guys either has a SB win (or multiples) or a SB appearance.

I dont like Holmgren much but he did win a SB title.
If we're doing all-time coaching rankings, I agree Dungy ranks somewhere below Lombardi, Belichick, Parcells and Mike Shanahan.If we're doing current coaching rankings, I'd find it awfully hard to justify putting Dungy in the bottom half of that list.

Again, who do you elevate him over?I think Dungy is a good figurehead for the team and a class guy all the way. He knows is defense but I dont put him on the same level as some of the other coaches.I dont think he completely controls his team. Manning has too much control. I have seen at least twice this year where Dungy started to send the punt team on the field and Manning just waived them off. Who is making the decisions here.Dungy is in the lower half of this playoff field. Tell me who he is better than.

Again, who do you elevate him over?

I think Dungy is a good figurehead for the team and a class guy all the way. He knows is defense but I dont put him on the same level as some of the other coaches.

I dont think he completely controls his team. Manning has too much control. I have seen at least twice this year where Dungy started to send the punt team on the field and Manning just waived them off. Who is making the decisions here.

Dungy is in the lower half of this playoff field. Tell me who he is better than.
Dungy: 25-6 the last two yearsGibbs: 16-16 the last two years

Smith: 16-16 the last two years

Dungy has had a better record and whooped Shanahan's team in the playoffs two straight years

Holmgren + Fox have had teams that failed to play well consistently.

I'd go Belichick first, and then either Dungy or Cowher. Tough call as to who I'd rank higher there, but I'd probably put Cowher first since he's had longer sustained success and without a stud QB.

If each place in the rank was broke down into points (#1 rank = 8 pts, #2 rank = 7 pts, etc.)

Toughest decisions:

CAR vs. WAS in the RB rankings. Portis likely is the better RB than Foster, but it's hard to discount Foster's 150+ last week, plus his last 3 games.

Bill Cowher vs. John Fox - Cowher gets the nod over Fox due to longevity and success over Fox's 4-1 playoff record.
To be fair, you have three offensive categories, and one category. Offense is not three times as important as defense. If you don't want to do DL, DB, & LB, then you should weight defense as 3x more important. That would really improve Chicago - here is how your overall rankings SHOULD read:IND: 8, 6, 8, 18, 2 = 42

CAR: 5, 4, 7, 21, 4 = 41

NE: 7, 2, 2, 15, 8 = 34

DEN: 6, 7, 6, 6, 7 = 32

PIT: 3, 5, 3, 12, 5 = 31

CHI: 1, 1, 1, 24, 1, = 28

WAS: 2, 3, 4, 9, 6 = 24

SEA: 4, 8, 5, 3, 3 = 23

Note - I do not necessarily agree with these rankings, just trying to make this a little more fair.

Toughest decisions:

CAR vs. WAS in the RB rankings.  Portis likely is the better RB than Foster, but it's hard to discount Foster's 150+ last week, plus his last 3 games.

To be fair, you have three offensive categories, and one category. Offense is not three times as important as defense. If you don't want to do DL, DB, & LB, then you should weight defense as 3x more important. That would really improve Chicago - here is how your overall rankings SHOULD read:IND: 8, 6, 8, 18, 2 = 42

CAR: 5, 4, 7, 21, 4 = 41

NE: 7, 2, 2, 15, 8 = 34

DEN: 6, 7, 6, 6, 7 = 32

PIT: 3, 5, 3, 12, 5 = 31

CHI: 1, 1, 1, 24, 1, = 28

WAS: 2, 3, 4, 9, 6 = 24

SEA: 4, 8, 5, 3, 3 = 23

Note - I do not necessarily agree with these rankings, just trying to make this a little more fair.
:goodposting: And I wasnt thinking how my rankings came out would classify the overall strength of each team. Its just how the rankings came out.

With Cleveland, he took a horrible team to the Playoffs in his 3rd year. That would be the natural progression for a coach taking over a 4-12 team would it not? Then Art Modell happened. I believe the Browns were 3-3 when it was announced that the Browns were moving to Baltimore. The fans and the whole town turned on the team at that point and everyone in the organization went into survival mode. Who would be kept and go to Baltimore and who would be fired. Belichek was fired.

He took over a Patriots team on the downfall and went 5-11 his first year. They won the SB his 2nd year and they have been lights out ever since.

I dont know what about the above indicates to you that the guy cant coach without Brady.
I dunno....Gibbs took over a 5-11 team and in only 2 years he has them in the 2nd round of the playoffs. :shrug:

Is it that hard to understand that he got better with experience like 95% of people?
And that just happens to totally coincide with Brady? He was a losing head coach before game 3 of 2001 but then after that week he was a great coach? Sorry, thats too much of a coincidence.BB is one of the best coaches ever, and he always has been. But he isn't as good as Gibbs, who has proven himself with many different teams.

Many coaches get better with experience, just like players do. I believe the point of this thread was to compare the individual units and coaching staff of the current teams left in the playoffs right now.

Saying anything other than Belichek is the best coach in the NFL right now is simply spitting into the wind. The guy has repeatedly come up with game plans to shut down explosive offenses, overcome significant injuries, etc.

Thats ridiculous. What has he done that Gibbs hasn't?

Many coaches get better with experience, just like players do.  I believe the point of this thread was to compare the individual units and coaching staff of the current teams left in the playoffs right now. 

Thats ridiculous. What has he done that Gibbs hasn't?
Ummm...won 3 out of the last 4 Super Bowls? He's the best in the game RIGHT NOW.

Big Skins homer here, and I'll totally biased.....

1. Gibbs is the best coach in the league.

Bill Bellicheck has a losing career record without Tom Brady. How well has Shannahan done without Elway?
This is stupid.First, Brady IS going to play tonight so even if your comment is accurate that makes Belichick the best coach right now because he is good enough to never lose a playoff with Brady as his QB.

Second, your comment is wrong. That would be like saying Gibbs has never won crap without his dominant offensive line.

Third, how well has Shanahan done w/o Elway? Good enough this year to earn the #2 seed in a very very tough AFC while Gibbs didn't clinch a playoff spot until late in the day during Week 17.

Quarterback: IND, NE, SEA, DEN, CAR, PIT, WAS, CHI Running Back: SEA, IND, DEN, PIT, CAR, WAS, NE, CHIWide Receiver: IND, CAR, SEA, DEN, WAS, PIT, NE, CHIDefense: CHI, PIT, WAS, CAR, NE, IND, DEN, SEACoach: NE, PIT, WAS, DEN, SEA, IND, CHI, CAR

Quarterback: IND, NE, SEA, DEN, CAR, PIT, WAS, CHI

Running Back: SEA, IND, DEN, PIT, CAR, WAS, NE, CHI

Wide Receiver: IND, CAR, SEA, DEN, WAS, PIT, NE, CHI

Defense: CHI, PIT, WAS, CAR, NE, IND, DEN, SEA

Coach: NE, PIT, WAS, DEN, SEA, IND, CHI, CAR
Why Hasselbeck so high?Why Thomas Jones so low?

Why NE WRs so low?

Why Den D so low?

Why Dungy so low?

Big Skins homer here, and I'll totally biased.....

1. Gibbs is the best coach in the league.

Bill Bellicheck has a losing career record without Tom Brady. How well has Shannahan done without Elway?
This is stupid.First, Brady IS going to play tonight so even if your comment is accurate that makes Belichick the best coach right now because he is good enough to never lose a playoff with Brady as his QB.

Second, your comment is wrong. That would be like saying Gibbs has never won crap without his dominant offensive line.

Third, how well has Shanahan done w/o Elway? Good enough this year to earn the #2 seed in a very very tough AFC while Gibbs didn't clinch a playoff spot until late in the day during Week 17.
I pretty much agree with Ramblin' Wreck. Any coach is only going to go as far as the tallent on the field.Jimmy johnson is below average because he only won with Aikman? Lets include Bill Walsh too because he only did it with Montana.

this argument is preposterous, and can go on forever.

Bottom line, great coaches are great because of of their schemes, and innovation. Talent ultimately wins on the field

Quarterback: IND, NE, SEA, DEN, CAR, PIT, WAS, CHI

Running Back: SEA, IND, DEN, PIT, CAR, WAS, NE, CHI

Wide Receiver: IND, CAR, SEA, DEN, WAS, PIT, NE, CHI

Defense: CHI, PIT, WAS, CAR, NE, IND, DEN, SEA

Coach: NE, PIT, WAS, DEN, SEA, IND, CHI, CAR
Why Hasselbeck so high?Why Thomas Jones so low?

Why NE WRs so low?

Why Den D so low?

Why Dungy so low?
Why Hasselbeck so high?Hasselbeck is a stud, he runs the best offense in football, so I put him behind Manning, obviously, and Brady, just out of respect. He is better than Delhomme, who without Smith this year (or Muhammed last year) is just average, and Plummer, who is decent, but not great in my opinion. Look what Hasselbeck did when Engram and Jackson were both hurt early in the year, he still managed to put up great numbers.

Why Thomas Jones so low?

Because he, in my opinion, the worst RB of the 8 left.

Why NE WRs so low?

They are ok as a group, but all of them would probably be mediocre 2's or 3's on another team.

Why Den D so low?

Defense wins championships, and all the teams left play good defense, so not saying they are bad, just not as good as the Chicago's, Carolina's, and New England's.

Why Dungy so low?

I think I would flop them and Seattle if I had it to do over again. I may move them as high as 3rd, but at 3-5, it would be fairly close.

My coach rankings:1. Belichick - can't argue with his success. The master.2. Cowher - He's won playoff games with FIVE different QBs. Unreal. Owns a winning record in 11 of 14 career seasons. 3. Dungy - Seven consecutive winning seasons. He's been more succesful than Cowher recently (and done it with two totally different teams). Cowher gets the nod only because I think he's done as much with slightly less. 4. Shanahan - Success with tons of RBs and now two different QBs. Shanahan's teams have made the playoffs three consecutive years, and he got as much as you possibly could out of the Broncos team this year. Great job. 5. Gibbs - mostly out of respect for what he did the first time around. He's just 16-16 since returning, and has done nothing with this Redskins offense. Gregg Williams gets as much credit as Gibbs for the Skins late-season success as Gibbs. And while Joe gets all the credit in the world, it's hard for me to rank the 2005 Joe Gibbs based on what he did in 1991.6. Smith - He won Coach Of the Year. What he did with that group was very impressive. Gutsy call to pull Orton for Grossman. Was wildly successful as a coordinator before coming to Chicago.7. Fox - the Panthers responded well last year to a horrible start due to injuries, and Fox has shown the ability to coach best in his biggest games. He got a ton out of a not-so-talented 2003 Panthers team. He seems to have the right touch, even though the defense doesn't play as consistently as you would expect from that talent.8. Holmgren - a very good coach, and maybe still a top 10 HC in the league. Certainly this spot reflects the talent on the list more than anything else. Holmgren's Seahawks teams constantly underachieved until this year. A strong post-season moves him up this list. Winning the SB is impressive, but he had an excellent team with 2 of the greatest players of all-time: and it was 9 years ago.

Users who are viewing this thread