What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Rank franchises by worst quarterbacking in the last 45 years (1 Viewer)

Fensalk

Footballguy
Looking at a list that includes the Lions, Browns, Cardinals, Bears (maybe the Buccaneers but they haven't been around for all 45) and the Jets.

1- Lions

2- Browns

3- Bears

4- Bucs

Cards had Hart in the 70s and some good years from Plummer and Boomer (not sure they had any Pro-Bowls)

Atl was pretty poor outside of Bartowski and then Chandler in the late 90s

Jets were Ok with Todd and O'Brian after Namath and a few good years from Boomer

Link for full lists

Last edited by a moderator:
1- Lions

2- Browns

3- Bears

4- Bucs

Cards had Hart in the 70s and some good years from Plummer and Boomer (not sure they had any Pro-Bowls)

Jets were Ok with Todd and O'Brian after Namath and a few good years from Boomer

Link for full lists
Bears are easily the tops on this list. If I'm not mistaken.....Cutler's QB rating as a Bear, which is around 80 right now, is tops in franchise history.

1- Lions

2- Browns

3- Bears

4- Bucs

Link for full lists
Bears are easily the tops on this list. If I'm not mistaken.....Cutler's QB rating as a Bear, which is around 80 right now, is tops in franchise history.
:thumbdown: Herd was talking today and he was bringing up some names from the past. Just brutal for Bear fans.

Bears QB since 1979 -

1979: Mike Phipps, Vince Evans, Bob Avellini

1980: Phipps, Evans

1981: Evans

1982: Bob Avellini, Jim McMahon

1983: McMahon, Evans

1984: McMahon, Avellini, Steve Fuller, Rusty Lisch, Greg Landry

1985: McMahon, Steve Fuller

1986: McMahon, Mike Tomczak, Steve Fuller, Doug Flutie

1987: McMahon, Tomczak

1988: McMahon, Tomczak, Jim Harbaugh

1989: Tomczak, Harbaugh

1990: Harbaugh, Tomczak

1991: Harbaugh

1992: Harbaugh, Peter Tom Willis, Will Furrer

1993: Harbaugh, Willis

1994: Erik Kramer, Steve Walsh

1995: Kramer 1996: Kramer, Dave Kreig

1997: Kramer, Rick Mirer

1998: Kramer, Steve Stenstrom, Moses Moreno

1999: Shane Matthews, Cade McNown, Jim Miller

2000: McNown, Matthews, Miller

2001: Miller, Matthews

2002: Miller, Chris Chandler, Henry Burris

2003: Kordell Stewart, Chandler, Rex Grossman

2004: Grossman, Jonathan Quinn, Craig Krenzel, Chad Hutchinson

2005: Kyle Orton, Grossman

2006: Grossman

2007: Grossman, Brian Griese, Orton

2008: Orton, Grossman

2009: Jay Cutler, Caleb Hanie

2010: Cutler, Todd Collins, Hanie

1- Lions

2- Browns

3- Bears

4- Bucs

Link for full lists
No. Bear's had Jim McMahon, who won a SB. Lions? I can't recall one good Lion QB. Browns had Bernie Kosar, Vinny Testaverde, Brian Sipe. Not great but those three were at least average.Lions???? Jon Kitna is probably the best they have had. Joey Harrington (ugg). Charlie Batch? Didn't they trade some high picks and pay a ton of money for Scott Mitchell??? Rodney Pete. You have to go back to mid 70s when they had Greg Landry to find an average QB.

Cincy has to be on the list. David Klingler and Akili smith
I don't think Cincy is among the worst. Ken Anderson has been a Hall of Fame finalist; there are plenty of teams who have not had even one of those. And Boomer Esiason had some good years for them too.

1- Lions

2- Browns

3- Bears

4- Bucs

Link for full lists
No. Bear's had Jim McMahon, who won a SB. Lions? I can't recall one good Lion QB. Browns had Bernie Kosar, Vinny Testaverde, Brian Sipe. Not great but those three were at least average.Lions???? Jon Kitna is probably the best they have had. Joey Harrington (ugg). Charlie Batch? Didn't they trade some high picks and pay a ton of money for Scott Mitchell??? Rodney Pete. You have to go back to mid 70s when they had Greg Landry to find an average QB.
I don't give a damn what Jim McMahon did. He sucked.He never played 16 in a season and only had one season where his QB rating was over 90. That season over 90... a whopping 8 TD passes in 9 games played.

1- Lions

2- Browns

3- Bears

4- Bucs

Link for full lists
I don't give a damn what Jim McMahon did. He sucked.He never played 16 in a season and only had one season where his QB rating was over 90. That season over 90... a whopping 8 TD passes in 9 games played.
:thumbdown:

Lions???? Jon Kitna is probably the best they have had. Joey Harrington (ugg). Charlie Batch? Didn't they trade some high picks and pay a ton of money for Scott Mitchell??? Rodney Pete. You have to go back to mid 70s when they had Greg Landry to find an average QB.
I believe he was the last Pro Bowl QB for them, 1971?

Don Quixote said:
omahabrad said:
I don't think Cincy is among the worst. Ken Anderson has been a Hall of Fame finalist; there are plenty of teams who have not had even one of those. And Boomer Esiason had some good years for them too.
Carson Palmer also had a couple of really good years.

Fensalk said:
Looking at a list that includes the Lions, Browns, Cardinals, Bears (maybe the Buccaneers but they haven't been around for all 45) and the Jets.
Cardinals can't compete with the Lions and Bears on this list. Hart, Lomax, Plummer, and a couple years of Warner blows away those teams.

Limp Ditka said:
az_prof said:
Limp Ditka said:
Zoomanji said:
1- Lions

2- Browns

3- Bears

4- Bucs

Link for full lists
Not sure if you watched him but he didn't suck. As a Vikings fan, I watched him beat us plenty. He had what Cutler lacks: balls, which equals leadership. The guy was a warrior and knew how to win big games. You need to get over QB rating--it's an artificial measure.

Fensalk said:
Cardinals can't compete with the Lions and Bears on this list. Hart, Lomax, Plummer, and a couple years of Warner blows away those teams.
Exactly. We are seeking "utter futility", not "hot and cold".

Limp Ditka said:
az_prof said:
Limp Ditka said:
Zoomanji said:
1- Lions

2- Browns

3- Bears

4- Bucs

Link for full lists
Not sure if you watched him but he didn't suck. As a Vikings fan, I watched him beat us plenty. He had what Cutler lacks: balls, which equals leadership. The guy was a warrior and knew how to win big games. You need to get over QB rating--it's an artificial measure.
Beating Minnesota between 1982 and 1988, McMahon's Bears years, was no great feat. Those teams were mediocre at best.Also, Jim McMahon was 3-3 in the post season, and never won a post season game outside of the 1985 season. Is that an artificial measure? So much for those big game wins, uh?

The Defense in '85 gave up 0 points in the NFC Playoffs and 10 points in the Super Bowl. But thank god they had Jim McMahon.

And you're telling me Cutler lacks balls? He's been sacked more than any other QB in football this year and still has his team in the NFC Championship game. Sounds like a gutless coward to me.

az_prof said:
Limp Ditka said:
Zoomanji said:
1- Lions

2- Browns

3- Bears

4- Bucs

Link for full lists
Hipple, Peete, Long, and Kramer had some good seasons between them as I recall. Herman Moore and some other dude I forget were always high fantasy picks back in that era.

Don Quixote said:
omahabrad said:
Exactly. We've been Boom or Bust at QB. 45 years is a ridiculously long time though. I mean Joe Namath is eligible here :blackdot:Who's had the least PRO-Bowl QBs in that time?-QG

Yes, we get it, more thinly veiled Bears hate. The NFL should do everyone a favor and pull them out of the playoffs and put a better team in. The Bears don't deserve to be playing. Goodell should probably revoke their status as a franchise and ban Cutler from the NFL. Blah blah blah..

Yes, we get it, more thinly veiled Bears hate. The NFL should do everyone a favor and pull them out of the playoffs and put a better team in. The Bears don't deserve to be playing. Goodell should probably revoke their status as a franchise and ban Cutler from the NFL. Blah blah blah..
I'm as big of a Bears fan as anyone and I'm bashing the Bears QB lineage as much as anyone. It's not hate, it's reality.

Not at all. If the Bears had a Jay Cutler caliber QB for even 10 of the last 45 years, they wouldn't be close to making this list. But the fact that he's had one terrible season and one pretty good one and he's already in the conversation (probably the lead) as their best QB of the last 45 years means that they've had some really poor QB play in their recent history.Which Bear QBs do you think were good enough to warrant excluding them from this discussion?

Pro Bowl QB's since 1966:

1 Chicago: McMahon

1 Detroit: Landry

1 Baltimore: Testaverde [since 1996]

1 Houston: Schaub [since 2002]

3 Carolina: Collina, Beuerlein, Delhomme [since 1995]

3 Tampa: Garcia, B.Johnson, Dilfer [since 1976]

4 Jacksonville: Brunell(3), Garrard [since 1995]

5 Cleveland: Ryan, Nelson, Sipe, Kosar, Anderson [Minus 1996-98]

6 New Orleans: Brees(4), Manning(2) [since 1967]

6 Pittsburgh: Bradshaw(3), O'Donnell, Stewart, Roethlisberger

7 Arizona: Hart(4), Lomax(2), Warner

7 Seattle: Hasselback(3), Kreig(3), Moon [since 1976]

8 Giants: Tarkenton(4), Simms(2), Snead, Manning

9 Buffalo: Kelly(5), Kemp(2), Flutie, Bledsoe

9 Jets: Namath(4), O'Brien(2), Testaverde, Essiason, Favre

10 Cincinnati [since 1968]

11 Atlanta

11 Washington

11 New England

12 Green Bay

12 St. Louis

12 Denver

12 Kansas City

13 Minnesota

13 Philadelphia

13 San Diego

13 Tennessee

15 Oakland

16 Indianapolis

17 Miami

18 San Francisco

19 Dallas

So if you just base it on pro bowl selections then Chicago and Detroit are the worst.

1965-2009 Pro Bowl Qb's

Bears- 1

Lions- 1

Ravens- 1

Texans- 1

Buccaneers- 3 / 3 diff. qb's

Panthers- 3 / 3 qb's

Jaguars- 4 / 2 qb's

Saints- 5 / 2 qb's

Steelers- 6 / 4 qb's

Browns- 6 / 5 qb's

Cardinals- 7 /3 qb's

Seahawks- 7 / 3 qb's

Giants- 8 / 4 qb's

Falcons- 9 / 5 qb's

Jets- 9 / 4 qb's

Bengals- 10 / 4 qb's

Patriots- 10 / 4 qb's

Bills- 11 / 5 qb's

Packers- 11 / 3 qb's

Rams- 12 / 7 qb's

Chiefs- 12 / 7 qb's

Redskins- 12 / 7 qb's

Broncos- 12 / 4 qb's

Eagles- 13 / 7 qb's

Oilers/Titans- 13 / 5 qb's

Raiders- 14 / 5 qb's

Chargers- 14 / 4 qb's

Colts- 15 / 5 qb's

Vikings- 15 / 8 qb's

Dolphins- 17 / 2 qb's

Cowboys- 19 / 5 qb's

49ers - 19 / 4 qb's

Most Pro Bowls (since 1950)

Brett Favre- 11

Johnny Unitas- 10

Peyton Manning- 10

Warren Moon- 9

John Elway- 9

Dan Marino- 9

Fran Tarkenton- 9

Norm Van Brocklin- 9

Joe Montana- 8

Bob Griese - 8

Pro Bowl QB's since 1966:1 Chicago: McMahon1 Detroit: Landry1 Baltimore: Testaverde [since 1996]1 Houston: Schaub [since 2002]3 Carolina: Collina, Beuerlein, Delhomme [since 1995]3 Tampa: Garcia, B.Johnson, Dilfer [since 1976]4 Jacksonville: Brunell(3), Garrard [since 1995]5 Cleveland: Ryan, Nelson, Sipe, Kosar, Anderson [Minus 1996-98]6 New Orleans: Brees(4), Manning(2) [since 1967]6 Pittsburgh: Bradshaw(3), O'Donnell, Stewart, Roethlisberger7 Arizona: Hart(4), Lomax(2), Warner7 Seattle: Hasselback(3), Kreig(3), Moon [since 1976]8 Giants: Tarkenton(4), Simms(2), Snead, Manning9 Buffalo: Kelly(5), Kemp(2), Flutie, Bledsoe9 Jets: Namath(4), O'Brien(2), Testaverde, Essiason, Favre10 Cincinnati [since 1968]11 Atlanta11 Washington11 New England12 Green Bay12 St. Louis12 Denver12 Kansas City13 Minnesota13 Philadelphia13 San Diego13 Tennessee15 Oakland16 Indianapolis17 Miami18 San Francisco19 DallasSo if you just base it on pro bowl selections then Chicago and Detroit are the worst.
:lmao: And the sadder thing as either a Beras fan or Lions fan is that they had a 30 year head start on most of the other teams in the single digits :bag: And McMahon, while a good leader was hardly a great QB. As a Bears fan, it's us and the Lions...and no one else is really that close. Well at least Cutler is going to "lead the way" out of the darkness of QB gehenna :thumbup:

Not at all. If the Bears had a Jay Cutler caliber QB for even 10 of the last 45 years, they wouldn't be close to making this list. But the fact that he's had one terrible season and one pretty good one and he's already in the conversation (probably the lead) as their best QB of the last 45 years means that they've had some really poor QB play in their recent history.Which Bear QBs do you think were good enough to warrant excluding them from this discussion?
The fact that we're "making" this list is what constitutes the thinly veiled Bears hate.

1- Lions

2- Browns

3- Bears

4- Bucs

Link for full lists
Jim McMahon is the original Mark Sanchez.

1- Lions

2- Browns

3- Bears

4- Bucs

Link for full lists
I'd say, for both the Bears and Lions, 1995 was their best QB season in the SBE. Kramer and Mitchell were equally fantastic, although Mitchell had a bit more to work with. Landry was a monster in '71 leading the league in yards per completion and finishing among the league leaders in every efficiency category. He had a couple more good years, as did McMahon, and that's about it. Still, I think the future somehow looks bright for the next decade for both teams w/r/t QB play.

1- Lions

2- Browns

3- Bears

4- Bucs

Link for full lists
no picks. just signed as a FA for 25 million for 5 years.

1- Lions

2- Browns

3- Bears

4- Bucs

Link for full lists
I'd say, for both the Bears and Lions, 1995 was their best QB season in the SBE. Kramer and Mitchell were equally fantastic, although Mitchell had a bit more to work with. Landry was a monster in '71 leading the league in yards per completion and finishing among the league leaders in every efficiency category. He had a couple more good years, as did McMahon, and that's about it. Still, I think the future somehow looks bright for the next decade for both teams w/r/t QB play.
you'll win a lot of bar bets by asking what qb threw for 4300 yards and had 2 receivers eclipse the 100 catch mark in the same season in the 90's.

Bears win this hands down. :lmao:
How is that even possible with a SB winning QB? And when the Lie-downs have 0 playoff wins in since....well forever IMO.Same qualifications go into account for the best QB scenerios, its judge by SB wins, u can't be the worst if u have a SB.Last Probowl QB in Detroit was 1972, and in Chicago was 1985, that is another pretty obvious tiebreaker.This is not really even a debate, unless its someone who fully don't understand the question.This is another futile topic that the Lions win.

CHI and DET easily 1a and 1b, NOT even close. Cleveland had Bernie Kosar, way better than anything either team has had. A few years ago, I heard a saw a stat on espn. I can't remember the names, but they listed the top 5 bears leaders in passing yards all time. Leader was only like 14000 passing yards or so. (Like 3 Peyton Manning or Tom Brady seasons, and you'd be the all-time leader). If Cutler stays healthy, he will be the all time leader very soon. They've had like 20 different starting qbs in like the last 20 years or so. I see the DET argument as well. 1972 was their last pro bowler? You figure Stafford is coming to save the day finally, and he gets hurt all the freaking time. I feel bad for DET fans as well. At least Shaun Hill played pretty well last year, I realize he's not a superstar though.

Edit: Here it is..... (Stats with BEARS only, not career)

1 Sid Luckman 14686   137 TD  132 INT

2 Jim Harbaugh 11567  50 TD  56 INT

3 Jim McMahon 11203   67 TD  56 INT

4 Erik Kramer 10582  63 TD  45 INT

5 Billy Wade 9958   68 TD   66 INT

Not a very impressive list......

Users who are viewing this thread