What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Ravens at Dallas discussion thread (1 Viewer)

In very simplistic terms:

Ravens defense and Dallas defense are both quality units. I give the edge to Baltimore but only slightly.

I like Dallas' offense much better than Baltimore IF Romo and Barber are healthy.

I think Ravens special teams is better than Dallas but it is not a huge advantage.

Considering Dallas is at home I think they win the game but it should be a good one. Really looking forward to watching this!

One significant advantage the Ravens have is in their return game. Dallas' coverage teams have been better recently, but they are far from trustworthy. A kickoff return or punt return TD is not unlikely for the Ravens.

A return TD. An Ed Reed TD. Perhaps a long bomb. These are the ways that the Ravens can win the game. I can almost guarantee they will not win the yardage or time of posession part of the game.
This sounds like another person who has only seen the Ravens in the last couple of weeks. Baltimore's special teams have been lousy all season. They finally showed up vs. Pittsburgh, and now everyone thinks Baltimore has good special teams. They don't.Baltimore is #1 in the NFL in time of possession. Dallas is #18.

The Ravens have the #3 rush defense in the NFL. They have the #6 rush offense -- despite playing games vs. teams that rank 1, 1, 4, 5, 9, 10, and 11 vs. the run.

Not sure why people don't think the Ravens can control the ball in this game.
I'll give you the TOP issue. The Ravens may win that one. But I seriously doubt they out-gain Dallas unless some freak plays occur.And you're right, I havent watched the Ravens play much. But I have watched just about every Dallas game over the last few years. And the ways that I indicated they might lose are the only ways they've been beat with Romo as the QB in the last year or so.

Now Balt's defense is more than capable of giving Romo all kinds of trouble. It would not be surprising to see Romo give up a TD to the Balt defense.

I see this as another defensive struggle. But Dallas' offensive firepower scrapping together enough plays like it did against the Giants. The weather won't be a major factor like it was in Pittsburgh. Of course, a defensive or ST TD or long TD could swing this to the Ravens.

20-10 Dallas.

Ravens will win. There is nothing that the Cowboys D will do that the Ravens haven't seen from the Steelers twice already. Romo is good, but had proven time and time again that he will find a way to lose in December. The Ravens are playing much better than the Giants right now, so throw last weeks game out. Romo is hurt and the Ravens will punish him. I honestly do not believe he will finish the game. The Ravens will run, run, run until they can't run anymore. Throw in a play action every once in a while and there is potential for some big plays against that secondary. This game has disaster written all over it for the Boys. Once they start getting frustrated that they can't move the ball, guess who will start running his mouth?I will go out on a limb and say the Ravens win this game pretty handily. Might not be reflected in the score, but the game will be dominated by them.
The Cowboys were definitely beat up and frustrated before the half last game. Seemed like it was over for the offense. Romo then stepped up and showed a new found resilience never seen before. He put up a nice game while still getting pounded by the rush. That fumble at the Cowboy's 1 that he scooped up and made a 3 yard pass out of, I thought that had the classic Romo disaster written all over it.

Will be keeping an eye on this one as well. Already bouncing between Owens and Housh this week, but I haven't seen the Ravens that much this year, whereas I've seen too much of the Browns.How is the pass D this year? Are WR's getting any solid scoring opportunities or is it mostly TE's and RB's in the short and underneath stuff?
Tell you the truth, the Ravens haven't really played a good passing offense besides Indy and NYG when they got smoked. Next best pass offense after that was HOU without Schaub. Most of their opponents have been less than par pass offenses like CLE, PIT, CIN, and OAK.

Will be keeping an eye on this one as well. Already bouncing between Owens and Housh this week, but I haven't seen the Ravens that much this year, whereas I've seen too much of the Browns.How is the pass D this year? Are WR's getting any solid scoring opportunities or is it mostly TE's and RB's in the short and underneath stuff?
Tell you the truth, the Ravens haven't really played a good passing offense besides Indy and NYG when they got smoked. Next best pass offense after that was HOU without Schaub. Most of their opponents have been less than par pass offenses like CLE, PIT, CIN, and OAK.
This is a pretty decent observation. Their schedule has allowed them to miss most of the league's top gunslingers. Peyton lit 'em up, although we learned later that McAlister was hurting pretty bad at the time and he was the guy who was torched earliest and most often in that debacle.I have no doubt that Romo can hit some shots downfield Saturday night, either when the Ratbirds back off the blitz or when he's able to escape the first wave like Roethlisberger has been very good at doing.They've got a puncher's chance but I think there's gonna be an emotional hangover from the last second Steelers loss. That one was played at a very high level of intensity and getting beat at the very end took the wind out of Baltimore.

Ravens will win. There is nothing that the Cowboys D will do that the Ravens haven't seen from the Steelers twice already. Romo is good, but had proven time and time again that he will find a way to lose in December. The Ravens are playing much better than the Giants right now, so throw last weeks game out. Romo is hurt and the Ravens will punish him. I honestly do not believe he will finish the game. The Ravens will run, run, run until they can't run anymore. Throw in a play action every once in a while and there is potential for some big plays against that secondary. This game has disaster written all over it for the Boys. Once they start getting frustrated that they can't move the ball, guess who will start running his mouth?I will go out on a limb and say the Ravens win this game pretty handily. Might not be reflected in the score, but the game will be dominated by them.
+1. Take the more physical team and forgettabout it.

Baltimore has zero offense. The onyl way I see Baltimore winning is if my man Romo throws it away, which could very likely happen.
I agree. I dont think Baltimore can win this game. But Dallas can lose it very, very easily.
No guys, this is not the Raven team of the past. They can get the ball down the field at times. Flacco does not get rattled like you would think a rookie would. In the past the Ravens never even attempted to get the ball down the field, this year they take shots and hit them. Now this past week vs the Steelers they did revert back to being to conservative.The Ravens do have a decent offense that if they win the field position battle they can score points. All I am saying is, do not just think the Raven offense is terrible and the only way Dallas loses is if they turn the ball over.A bright spot for Dallas is they have the longest winning streak in the league for night games. While the Ravens collapse in the spot light of the night a lot.If Dallas plays a sound game does not turn the ball over, hits some deep shots, wins the field position game they should win.
Flacco is a very very very good rookie quarterback.However, the Steelers showed what he and the entire Ravens offense will perform like in big end of year games.Before considering the possibility of turnovers, the Cowboys have the edge because they have more of a big time offense.The game is Romo's to lose.
The game is always Romo's to lose. If he plays well NOBODY is beating the Cowboys.
The Cowboys defense was nowhere near playoff caliber until Wade went back to more of a defensive coordinator role.So let's not pretend that Romo can carry the entire team on his back...
I will give you an example the Philly game. He can carry this team on his back and does every week. He is the best in the NFL at extending the play and making his offensive line look a lot better then they are. Without Romo this team might win 4 games.

First of all, Procter will be starting at LG again this week.

Marion Barber will not be any better Saturday night than he was last Sunday night, physically. Got some word of a slight setback.

TaShard Choice may even end up getting the start. That's fine. No problem there.

Not entirely sure if Romo will practice tomorrow (they're off today). He'll certainly play Sat. night, although probably not 100%.

As far as the game goes, let me take a different angle.

The Cowboys are favored by anywhere from 4 to 5 1/2, with the over/under at 39 1/2.

This is a prime example of "whoever reaches 20 points first wins" type of game. I don't see Baltimore breaking 20.

With Dallas playing at home and closing out Texas Stadium, and given the fact they have far more playmakers on offense, this may not be as close as some may think. Too many factors favoring Dallas for them to collapse here, including the weather.

As someone mentioned, this is indeed a playoff game. When it comes to playoff games, you have to start with QB matchups.

Say what you want about Romo, but he is clearly the heavy favorite here as well.

Dallas 27-13.

Am I correct to think that if Dallas wins vs Baltimore and Tampa loses at home vs the Chargers and Atl loses at Minny that Dallas would clinch a playoff spot but not the 5th spot.

Am I correct to think that if Dallas wins vs Baltimore and Tampa loses at home vs the Chargers and Atl loses at Minny that Dallas would clinch a playoff spot but not the 5th spot.
Philly has to lose at Washington as well.If Philly wins out, they would finish 10-5-1.Dallas would finish 10-6. (win vs. Balt., loss at Philly)ETA: Oh wait, you said "a spot." Sorry, my bad.I think Ridgelake pretty much covered it in the next posting.I haven't taken the time to try to break it down. Dallas just needs to win out. Not looking at what we can hope to fall back on.

Last edited by a moderator:
I THINK thats right. But I'm not sure.Dallas has the tie-breaker over TB by way of head-to-head. As of today, Dallas has it over Atl by way of conference record. But a loss to Phi in week 17 and an ATL win, would have them the same conference record. Don't know how that tie breaker would go. We can't forget about Chicago. If they get to 10-6, they, Dallas, and Atl would all have the same conference records at 7-5. TB, meanwhile would also be 10-6 but have a 8-4 conf record. I have no idea how that tie breaker would sort out.Philly is the screwball. If they win out (Wash & Dallas left), they go 10-5-1. That probably (maybe?) gets in. They have almost no chance at 9-6-1.But if Dallas wins this week and loses next week, while TB and ATL lose this week, I THINK Dallas gets a spot pending the Philly game for seeding (assuming they beat Wash).

I THINK thats right. But I'm not sure.Dallas has the tie-breaker over TB by way of head-to-head. As of today, Dallas has it over Atl by way of conference record. But a loss to Phi in week 17 and an ATL win, would have them the same conference record. Don't know how that tie breaker would go. We can't forget about Chicago. If they get to 10-6, they, Dallas, and Atl would all have the same conference records at 7-5. TB, meanwhile would also be 10-6 but have a 8-4 conf record. I have no idea how that tie breaker would sort out.Philly is the screwball. If they win out (Wash & Dallas left), they go 10-5-1. That probably (maybe?) gets in. They have almost no chance at 9-6-1.But if Dallas wins this week and loses next week, while TB and ATL lose this week, I THINK Dallas gets a spot pending the Philly game for seeding (assuming they beat Wash).
Yeah I am not sure either but of coarse if Dallas finishes the season with the same record as both Atl and TB they might win the tie breakers, but I am not sure because with this scenerio I am not sure if Dallas would still need to beat Philly because of conference record. Anyone know if Dallas can clinch a playoff spot this week if both Atl and Tampa lose and they win? That could go down.

Philly has to lose at Washington as well.If Philly wins out, they would finish 10-5-1.Dallas would finish 10-6. (win vs. Balt., loss at Philly)ETA: Oh wait, you said "a spot." Sorry, my bad.I think Ridgelake pretty much covered it in the next posting.I haven't taken the time to try to break it down. Dallas just needs to win out. Not looking at what we can hope to fall back on.
Not looking for a fall back plan either Andy just want to know if it is possible for Dallas to clinch a playoff spot this week.

If Atlanta and Tampa finish with the same record as Dallas, a division tie-breaker would come into play between those two with the winner having to win the tie-breaker with Dallas. I know that much.

We have Tampa beat by head-to-head.

If we sweep Philly, we would have Atlanta beat. (common opponents. Philly beat Atlanta. Atlanta/Dallas both beat Green Bay. Atlanta split with Tampa. Not sure how that would work. I think it breaks even)

Chicago lost to both Tampa and Green Bay, but beat Philly and St. Louis. (common opponents) They play GB again this week. Again, that's confusing.

A lot of help that does, eh? :popcorn:

Here's the procedure (all the more reason I haven't tried figuring it out):

Wild Card Tie-Breakers

Three or More Clubs

Apply division tie breaker to eliminate all but the highest ranked club in each division prior to proceeding to step 2. The original seeding within a division upon application of the division tie breaker remains the same for all subsequent applications of the procedure that are necessary to identify the two Wild-Card participants.

Head-to-head sweep. (Applicable only if one club has defeated each of the others or if one club has lost to each of the others.)

Best won-lost-tied percentage in games played within the conference.

Best won-lost-tied percentage in common games, minimum of four.

Strength of victory.

Strength of schedule.

Best combined ranking among conference teams in points scored and points allowed.

Best combined ranking among all teams in points scored and points allowed.

Best net points in conference games.

Best net points in all games.

Best net touchdowns in all games.

Coin toss

http://www.nfl.com/standings/tiebreakingprocedures

If either Tampa or Atl lose this week and Dallas was to lose I would think there is a good chance that if Dallas then beat Philly week 17 they would get in as well. All I am saying is there are a lot of ways that Dallas can get in even if they lose. We are in a great position considering all the problems we have had this year with injuries.

If either Tampa or Atl lose this week and Dallas was to lose I would think there is a good chance that if Dallas then beat Philly week 17 they would get in as well. All I am saying is there are a lot of ways that Dallas can get in even if they lose. We are in a great position considering all the problems we have had this year with injuries.
I fear losing in Philly FAR more than losing to Baltimore this week.The Ravens at home don't scare me. However, the Eagles at the Linc sure does, especially if they have something to play for.

I fear losing in Philly FAR more than losing to Baltimore this week.
True but that is just because of being at home compared to being on the road. I for one think Dallas can go anywhere and beat anyone the way they are playing now. Philly does not scare me. If you pressure Mcnabb he makes terrible decisions and if the Philly team gets a break away TD they will just throw the ball down at the 1 yard line anyway, lol.

True but that is just because of being at home compared to being on the road. I for one think Dallas can go anywhere and beat anyone the way they are playing now. Philly does not scare me. If you pressure Mcnabb he makes terrible decisions and if the Philly team gets a break away TD they will just throw the ball down at the 1 yard line anyway, lol.
Lets not count our chickens before they hatch. Dallas is more than capable of losing both games. Balt and Phi are both damn solid teams. These aren't the Rams (ooops) or Detroit we're playing.

LOL! Good one.On the topic at hand, I just gathered some input.Dallas clinches a playoff spot with a win and 3 of these 4 losing:Atlanta (at Minnesota)Tampa (vs. San Diego)Chicago (vs. Green Bay)Philly (at Washington)That's possible.I guess I was right back on post #60 afterall... sort of. :hot:

Lets not count our chickens before they hatch. Dallas is more than capable of losing both games. Balt and Phi are both damn solid teams. These aren't the Rams (ooops) or Detroit we're playing.
Ya, but it's not Ben Roethlisberger or Eli Manning either.

Here we go.

Dallas clinches a playoff spot with a win and:

** a Philadelphia loss or tie and a Chicago loss or tie and an Atlanta loss OR

** a Philadelphia loss or tie and a Chicago loss or tie and a Tampa Bay loss OR

** a Chicago loss or tie and a Tampa Bay loss and an Atlanta loss OR

a win and a Philadelphia loss or tie and an Atlanta loss and Dallas clinches strength of victory tiebreaker over Chicago.

If the Ravens are healthy on defense, they will win because they're defense 1000x better than Dallas. Dallas is soft and should get manhandled. Don't be fooled by Dallas's play the last 2 weeks.
have you been watching? doesnt sound like it. Dallas' defensive line and linebackers are manhandling opposing o-lines. T.Newman is healthy and playing at a very high level. i dont think the Raven will be able to run. so it comes down to Flacco's arm on the road.and Dallas has a much better offense, even with key injuries.
If the Ravens are healthy on defense, they will win because they're defense 1000x better than Dallas. Dallas is soft and should get manhandled. Don't be fooled by Dallas's play the last 2 weeks.
Again, I'm no Cowboys fan, but their defense has been as good, if not better than the defenses of the Steelers and Giants. I don't see that changing this week.
No, it hasn't been as good as Pitt. They're 7th overall in yards allowed and not even in the top 10 in points allowed. Baltimore is a more physical team. Baltimore wins 20-6
what you are failing to consider is teams make adjustments. granted the Steelers and Ravens have been very good all yr. the Cowboys had some tough weeks on D. but they have had some key injuries, such as T.Newman, Roy Williams, and Spencer. and since Wade has been calling the defense they have come alive. this defense is no joke. IF they can stay healthy they will be a handful for any team.

What I think is funny about this is that I am sitting here listening to the Baltimore sports radio and all they are talking about is the Pittsburgh game. WOW it is Tuesday and they have a huge game on Saturday. It will be hard for the Ravens to get past last week.

Here we go.Dallas clinches a playoff spot with a win and:** a Philadelphia loss or tie and a Chicago loss or tie and an Atlanta loss OR ** a Philadelphia loss or tie and a Chicago loss or tie and a Tampa Bay loss OR ** a Chicago loss or tie and a Tampa Bay loss and an Atlanta loss OR a win and a Philadelphia loss or tie and an Atlanta loss and Dallas clinches strength of victory tiebreaker over Chicago.
OK so Chicago has to lose as well. I can see all these 3 teams losing one game eachAtlanta I think goes down this week at Minn and will beat Stl in week 17 ATLANTA 1-1Tampa I think loses this week vs SD and wins week 17 vs Oak. Tampa 1-1. Chicago is a toss up vs GB but will lose at Houston week 17 Chicago 1-1I really think Dallas is in. Tampa is the one team that could run the table. It could be that Dallas plays Philly already in the playoffs and Philly needing that game to either get the 5 seed or miss the playoffs. These two weeks are going to be interesting.Let's take care of this week Dallas and everything will fall into place.

i'm trying to understand how people think the Cowboys are soft. is it because of Romos' pinkie? MB's pinkie toe? just hatin?

i wouldnt say they are soft at all. if theres a knock on them it's that they play undisciplined at times, i.e. penalties.

non-Cowboys fans are waiting for what they think is inevitable, Romo's collapse in December. all i know is, i'll take Romo at home over a rookie QB on the road in December.

Users who are viewing this thread