What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Ravens trade for Eugene Monroe (1 Viewer)

Nickdi

Footballguy
The Ravens traded for the Jaguars left tackle Eugene Monroe for draft picks today. This surely bumps up the Ravens RBs and Torrey Smith as the Ravens were among the worst in the league in run-blocking this year and Flacco should have more time to let torrey smith get open downfield. Thoughts?

Per Schefter

Update: Ravens are sending multiple third-day draft picks to Jacksonville in exchange for OT Eugene Monroe.
Brian McIntyre‏@brian_mcintyre27m

Eugene Monroe is in final year of his contract. Due $2.9M the rest of the way. Ravens only $1.213M under their cap number as of tonight

Got to wonder if the party is over for Bryant McKinnie.

Last edited by a moderator:
was just going to post same. is this huge or just so so?
This is huge. Monroe is a very good left tackle and a big upgrade for the Ravens. He was scheduled to be a free agent at the end of the season so I guess as a Jags fan I should be happy that they are going to get something for him, but the price that has been rumored seems very low.

How does this make sense for Jax?
he was going to walk at the end of the year, and they got multiple picks for him
Multiple day 3 picks are worthless IMO. Would seem to make more sense to,let him play out the year and trans or Fran tag him and see what fmv is. IMO they sold way low.
Obviously not worthless. Plenty of solid players come from day 3 picks. And they'll use the franchise tag on another player now. They sold high considering they had little to no leverage with everyone knowing they have nothing to play for this year.

Adam Schefter@AdamSchefter

If Jacksonville is going to trade players in last year of their deal for picks, might as well get what it can for RB Maurice Jones-Drew
They already know what they can get for MJD...basically nothing.

he was going to walk at the end of the year, and they got multiple picks for him
Multiple day 3 picks are worthless IMO. Would seem to make more sense to,let him play out the year and trans or Fran tag him and see what fmv is. IMO they sold way low.
Obviously not worthless. Plenty of solid players come from day 3 picks. And they'll use the franchise tag on another player now. They sold high considering they had little to no leverage with everyone knowing they have nothing to play for this year.

Adam Schefter‏@AdamSchefter

If Jacksonville is going to trade players in last year of their deal for picks, might as well get what it can for RB Maurice Jones-Drew
Dude...good starting 26 year old LTs are worth much more Jax reportedly received. They sold low now instead of waiting for the offseason seller's market. They did not maximize value. There is a reason they pick Top 10 every year.Saying they sold Monroe high is loco.

Dude...good starting 26 year old LTs are worth much more Jax reportedly received. They sold low now instead of waiting for the offseason seller's market. They did not maximize value. There is a reason they pick Top 10 every year.Saying they sold Monroe high is loco.
You aren't going to get huge value for a player who may or may not sign a franchise tag either.

This would be the time where I come in, put on my homer hat, and defend my team. But I can't. Terrible deal.

What is this offseason seller's market? The Chiefs should have used this mythical market last year to deal Brandon Albert.

What is this offseason sellers market? The Cheifs should have used this mythical market last year to deal Brandon Albert.
Do you really feel that Jax sold him high? And you want to use the chefs inept attempts to get a 2 for a mediocre tackle as the foundation of your stance? Oof

Listen to brownstone, dude is the best source of Jax info here.

What is this offseason sellers market? The Cheifs should have used this mythical market last year to deal Brandon Albert.
Do you really feel that Jax sold him high?And you want to use the chefs inept attempts to get a 2 for a mediocre tackle as the foundation of your stance? Oof

Listen to brownstone, dude is the best source of Jax info here.
You are the one saying that they could get more in the off-season. It will really depend on how stong the draft is for tackles. Obviously teams would rather go with a rookie and save 8 M a season.

This would be the time where I come in, put on my homer hat, and defend my team. But I can't. Terrible deal.
I'm not defending them, but what would you have preferred they did? I'm assuming they aren't completely brain-dead and shopped him around, this is his current market value.

Absolutely awful. Wonder if they shopped him and that was best offer? Hard to believe. Franchise tag not in play with him for some reason?

Absolutely awful. Wonder if they shopped him and that was best offer? Hard to believe. Franchise tag not in play with him for some reason?
The franchise tag was in play. His rookie deal would not contain any language limiting the tag and it is not like the Jags have anyone else worth franchising.

Wadsworth said:
RBM said:
The franchise tag was in play. His rookie deal would not contain any language limiting the tag and it is not like the Jags have anyone else worth franchising.
Makes it even more bizarre.

If he got signed at a premium price, they'd have gotten a decent compensatory draft pick, right?

If he got signed at a premium price, they'd have gotten a decent compensatory draft pick, right?
Yes, but in 2015. The story locally is that the Jaguars decided that they were not going to franchise him and were not sure they could sign him at a price they liked so they cashed in on the 2014 picks while they could. There is also the idea that the first pick on the new regime, Luke Joeckel, was not working out at RT and they think he will improve at LT.

RBM said:
How much more could they have possibly gotten? It's for 12 games. His contract is up after that. Giving away a 4th and a 5th to pay a guy $3M for 12 games, then he can leave.... is not a great deal.

I think the Jags got as much as they possibly could. I don't think Green Bay would have given more than just a 4th. Maybe if he had another affordable year or two on his contract. Now the Ravens have to give him a big contract extension in a few months to keep him. One or the other is fine, but big contract + draft picks is a lot to spend on one player. If that player doesn't play at a high level for many years then you just wasted a ton of resources.

Why would guys like Ted Thompson pay a 4th and a 5th for a guy for 12 games when they can draft a serviceable LT like Bahktiari in the 4th.... keep the 5th, and have him cheaply under contract for 4 years? I'm glad the Packers didn't trade for him.

Good move for the Ravens, especially if they can lock him up long-term. Definitely a boost for their passing game now. Jags passing game gets a downgrade, if that's even possible at this point.

I agree that they should have/should be shopping MJD, but I have my doubts about his trade value.

Wadsworth said:
RBM said:
Makes it even more bizarre.
franchise tag for a LT is pretty high, and they drafted a LT @ #1 this year.

a 4th and a 5th is a good haul for a player they were going to lose anyway next year

possibly, but it depends on whether they make offsetting signings of their own, and the most optimistic case would be essentially first pick in the 4th in 2015, I believe.

this way they save some money and have the 2 picks locked in.

I see absolutely no reason not to trade a guy from that team who you don't think is part of the future.

was just going to post same. is this huge or just so so?
Huge deal IMO. I was going to post this in the AM but got side tracked. Glad someone else found it pertinent enough to post. McKinnie can probably expect his walking papers soon....Nice deal for both sides IMO. Joekel will be forced into a larger role now and why not see what you have in him if you're Jack? Monroe was going to be difficult sign anyway. Getting picks for him is a nice bonus for Jack.

It seems many are forgetting Jack has Joekel for some reason. This isn't an abandonment of their oline.

The Jaguars drafted a tackle and were prepared for this-the move is so he can play. He was the #2 pick in the draft.

Did they even need to draft this guy? Did they try and fail to sign Monroe to a longer deal then they drafted him? Without knowing they tried and failed it seems like a step backward like all the time they spent working on Monroe...now they just do it again with another T.

If I'm not mistaken, when the Jags drafted Monroe they were in about this same situation. IIRC They needed interior lineman but drafted two Ts that year instead.

If this is the case, I wonder if salary wise (since LT is a highly paid position) this is a good move or not. Production seems to be consistently high. Then again are they planning on being a lesser team and being able to draft a top T?

I would think a top pick on a different position could give this franchise a nice upswing, rather than repeated(years apart tho) tackles.

Did they try and fail to sign Monroe to a longer deal then they drafted him?
This is the question that I keep coming back to. If they tried and he rebuffed them, then absolutely get something in return. And why was the franchise tag not in play? They have cap room to do that. I understand that he might not fit really well in a ZBS, but I think he's versatile enough to adapt.On the other hand, Joeckel didn't really wow me at RT. He wasn't bad, but I expected him to crush it on the right side. I hope it's a case of him not being in his natural position rather than sub-standard play, because if that's the case we're going to have to wash, rinse, and repeat in a few years.

This is the question that I keep coming back to. If they tried and he rebuffed them, then absolutely get something in return. And why was the franchise tag not in play? They have cap room to do that. I understand that he might not fit really well in a ZBS, but I think he's versatile enough to adapt.On the other hand, Joeckel didn't really wow me at RT. He wasn't bad, but I expected him to crush it on the right side. I hope it's a case of him not being in his natural position rather than sub-standard play, because if that's the case we're going to have to wash, rinse, and repeat in a few years.
The franchise tag is pretty expensive, and this team isn't winning next year with or without him. You eventually have to decide whether he's part of the long term plans or not (and this doesn't even take into account the possibility that he wouldn't sign the franchise tag, etc.).

The franchise tag is pretty expensive, and this team isn't winning next year with or without him. You eventually have to decide whether he's part of the long term plans or not (and this doesn't even take into account the possibility that he wouldn't sign the franchise tag, etc.).
It is expensive, no doubt, and agree than they are in no position to win ball games for the foreseeable future. It looks like he just wasn't part of the team's plan for the future.

The notion of being such a team or organization that players want to stay doesn't seem to cross the (imaginary) mind of losing franchises.

Winning ones think of it as losing some pieces, replacing with others, in an almost formulaic way. Losing ones seem to tread water.

If the Pats lost a T to free agency and then drafted one, this would feel different. I'll give the Jags that much, but it's because the other players around them improve too.

I often feel like our dynasty brethren here could field better teams than the Browns and Jaguars if they could run those teams.

The notion of being such a team or organization that players want to stay doesn't seem to cross the (imaginary) mind of losing franchises.

Winning ones think of it as losing some pieces, replacing with others, in an almost formulaic way. Losing ones seem to tread water.

If the Pats lost a T to free agency and then drafted one, this would feel different. I'll give the Jags that much, but it's because the other players around them improve too.

I often feel like our dynasty brethren here could field better teams than the Browns and Jaguars if they could run those teams.
it's easy to beat up on those 2 teams, but you act like they've been managed by the same people for 20 years --- when you say 'the browns' and 'the jags', how long has the current management been mismanaging them, in your opinion?

Some organizations are run by morons. In this day and age, how can one team be so bad at doing everything? Blows my mind

it's easy to beat up on those 2 teams, but you act like they've been managed by the same people for 20 years --- when you say 'the browns' and 'the jags', how long has the current management been mismanaging them, in your opinion?
Well you're right, but in that regard it's like they keep bringing their car to a different mechanic to fix when at some point, you just want the car fixed and who does it almost becomes irrelevant amidst frustration.

aren't the browns currently tied for the division lead after beating a rival team that everybody had handed the division to already?

I'm pretty sure cincy is the buzz team, and cleveland is in day one of the remodel -- what are you guys complaining about?

what does this do for Ray Rice's value? Anything? He's already pretty low...
It's got to be a boost for the entire offense IMO. McKinnie was a liability. On top of that, I think I read somewhere that Balt was going to get back to featuring Rice more as well. That should be more of a big deal than this.

Bryant McKinnie isn't a bad player. He's a former pro bowler and also won the Outland Trophy in college. the problem is his motivation and consistency. Perhaps the Ravens saw he was falling into old habits and then this is a decent move. I hesitate to call it a huge upgrade however. Monroe is younger and everything but it's debatable whether he's better than a properly motivated McKinnie (for example during the Ravens' playoff run last year). in the near term he's better than a lazy McKinnie but he will need time to learn the scheme etc.

Less than what the NFL gives compensatory picks isn't a good trade IMO
Best they could hope for was a pick at the end of the 3rd. That is if he gets a monster deal and ALSO: The jags don't sign their own big free agent. If the jags sign a free agent for 9 mill a year, and Monroe signs for 9 mill somewhere, they get nothing.

Options as far as I can tell:

Get a 4th and a 5th in next years draft for final 12 games of Monroes Jags career.

or

Get nothing now, don't sign a premium free agent next year in the hopes that someone signs the 15th ranked LT by PFF to a monster deal, and hope they get the worst possible 3rd rounder in two years. Oh, yeah, and stunt Joeckels development by playing him out of position for a year.

Not a bad price for BAL, and a nice use of assets by Jax, IMO. Monroe's probably ambitious contract expectations are now Baltimore's problem, and they may very well still need a LT next spring.

Less than what the NFL gives compensatory picks isn't a good trade IMO
Best they could hope for was a pick at the end of the 3rd. That is if he gets a monster deal and ALSO: The jags don't sign their own big free agent. If the jags sign a free agent for 9 mill a year, and Monroe signs for 9 mill somewhere, they get nothing.

Options as far as I can tell:

Get a 4th and a 5th in next years draft for final 12 games of Monroes Jags career.

or

Get nothing now, don't sign a premium free agent next year in the hopes that someone signs the 15th ranked LT by PFF to a monster deal, and hope they get the worst possible 3rd rounder in two years. Oh, yeah, and stunt Joeckels development by playing him out of position for a year.

Not a bad price for BAL, and a nice use of assets by Jax, IMO. Monroe's probably ambitious contract expectations are now Baltimore's problem, and they may very well still need a LT next spring.
the jags don't sign big free agents; they're not winners and that hurts them dramatically in attracting them. I'd be confident in that third, LTs are all well paid so it'd be a safe prediction IMO.

I was implying they should have got a 1st second or third for him.

In season, yeah maybe it's not much of a market with only 12 games under contract, but his new team could also tender him and keep him as well. For me though it's about the offseason, if they drafted and planned on the rook(doesn't seem like a leap there) then why not trade Monroe then? Amidst a normal offseason, a good LT should fetch a nice return.

Users who are viewing this thread