What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Ray Lewis (1 Viewer)

ltaylor

Footballguy
Let's look at the stat line for yesterday. everyone says ,"well he got 17 tackles". Keep in mind that only 11(if that) of those were actual tackles. the other 6 are a completely bogus way for Ray lewis to act like he is bad ###. I saw at least 5 times when he would pile on and act like he made an all world play. RaY Lewis is good but the media makes him out to be a god. He would literally just jump on a play that eddie or c. brown was already on the ground, and theisman would be like," look at that incredibale play!!!!". no one even mentions the crucial third and 5 play when he missed eddie in the backfield. dont get me wrong he is a very good linebacker, but he is not the greatest thing since sliced bread.in the entire game yesterday, there was not one mention of the most underated player in the NFL: Keith Bulluck. In the top 3 at the OLB position in the NFL, but no media hype. I get so sick of the media just creating this hype over players that 50 percent image.

Agree.How bout that stiff arm George laid on him knocking his asc to the turf.They acted like Ray took Eddie out on that play. Had it been the other way, we would have seen it 7 times.

I also remember a "tackle" that Lewis came in late on and the other Raven was never mentioned -- who actually made the play.The hype gets old...quick.I think his mouth makes my patience wane.

here http://footballguys.net/forum/index.php?ac...=ST&f=2&t=63436Lewis should get the hype, what has Bulluck done? Lewis has the #'s, is a team leader and most importantly, a superbowl ring. Conrats to your Titans for finaly beating the Ravens, but to say anything negative about the Best player in the NFL, perhaps EVER, is just not a good idea.
the best player in the NFL ever???seriously man
BS also thinks that Travis Henry sucks and is too small....and he's a Bills homer. :rolleyes:

Hopefully we can end this horrible thread early. They're both great players. So are Favre and Elway. Enough already.

Last edited by a moderator:
here http://footballguys.net/forum/index.php?ac...=ST&f=2&t=63436Lewis should get the hype, what has Bulluck done? Lewis has the #'s, is a team leader and most importantly, a superbowl ring. Conrats to your Titans for finaly beating the Ravens, but to say anything negative about the Best player in the NFL, perhaps EVER, is just not a good idea.
i said perhaps, and in my 15-20 years of watching football, i would say i havnt seen any better, certainly not on the defensive side of the ball.

The most dominant defensive player in the game today, Ray earned his fifth consecutive Pro Bowl in 2001 when he led the NFL in tackles (196)...Ray also earned first-team All-Pro honors in 2001...He was the second player in NFL history to win both NFL Defensive Player of the Year and Super Bowl MVP (2000)...Harvey Martin of Dallas won Defensive Player of the Year in 1977 and was co-MVP of Super Bowl XII with Randy White...Pro Bowl starter and first-team All-Pro while leading the Ravens to the world championship - all at age 25...The emotional and physical leader of the Ravens, Lewis was voted to his fourth straight Pro Bowl in 2000 and once again led the team in tackles...Named a unanimous All- Pro...In 2000, led a defense that set a 16-game single season record for fewest points allowed (165), set the 16-game record for fewest rushing yards allowed (970), recorded four shutouts, one shy of the post- 1970 merger record, and finished ranked first league-wide in six key defensive categories...Intense, physical, and experienced beyond his 27 years, Lewis has led the NFL in tackles three times (1997, 1999 and 2001)...In 2000, Ray led the Ravens with 187 tackles...Led all NFL tacklers in postseason with 31 (44 after coaches video review)...In 1999, he was credited with 198 tackles (131 solo) by Ravens coaches, 167 total tackles according to NFL play-by-plays, which led all NFL tacklers (Tampa Bay’s Derrick Brooks was second with 153)...Has led the Ravens in tackles in each of his six years...Ray made his second trip to the Pro Bowl following the 1998 season after leading the Ravens again with 154 tackles...Also tabbed for The Sporting News All-Pro Team...Won the John Mackey Award in June of ‘97, as voted by his peers, for the AFC’s best linebacker... In just his second NFL season, Ray served as the “veteran” leader of the Ravens’ young linebacking corps in 1997, which consisted of Lewis and five rookies...Selected as the “needs” player for the victorious AFC squad in the 1997 Pro Bowl after leading the NFL with 210 tackles, 68 more than his team-leading total in 1996...Stepped into the starting MLB role in his rookie season at age 21, and earned USA Today’s All- Rookie team honors after leading the Ravens with 142 tackles... Was selected with the 26th overall pick in the draft, the Ravens’ second choice in the first round (OL Jonathan Ogden of UCLA was tabbed with the fourth overall pick)...The Ravens obtained the 26th choice from San Francisco in a 1995 draft-day trade...Was the fourth linebacker selected overall in the draft.

Where is beermutts to defend his boy Ray Lewis? LOL, both me and Ray Lewis are watching the playoffs from the comfort of our couches, sweeeet. :thumbup:edit to add: AND I'M NOT EVEN THE DEFENSIVE MVP!! :excited:

Last edited by a moderator:
here  http://footballguys.net/forum/index.php?ac...=ST&f=2&t=63436Lewis should get the hype, what has Bulluck done? Lewis has the #'s, is a team leader and most importantly, a superbowl ring. Conrats to your Titans for finaly beating the Ravens, but to say anything negative about the Best player in the NFL, perhaps EVER, is just not a good idea.
BS also thinks that Travis Henry sucks and is too small....and he's a Bills homer. :rolleyes:
I never said he sucked, i said he was "average"

I also remember a "tackle" that Lewis came in late on and the other Raven was never mentioned -- who actually made the play.The hype gets old...quick.I think his mouth makes my patience wane.
I too get tired of players being hyped over and over, but at least Ray Lewis is deserving.

The most dominant defensive player in the game today, Ray earned his fifth consecutive Pro Bowl in 2001 when he led the NFL in tackles (196)...Ray also earned first-team All-Pro honors in 2001...He was the second player in NFL history to win both NFL Defensive Player of the Year and Super Bowl MVP (2000)...Harvey Martin of Dallas won Defensive Player of the Year in 1977 and was co-MVP of Super Bowl XII with Randy White...Pro Bowl starter and first-team All-Pro while leading the Ravens to the world championship - all at age 25...The emotional and physical leader of the Ravens, Lewis was voted to his fourth straight Pro Bowl in 2000 and once again led the team in tackles...Named a unanimous All- Pro...In 2000, led a defense that set a 16-game single season record for fewest points allowed (165), set the 16-game record for fewest rushing yards allowed (970), recorded four shutouts, one shy of the post- 1970 merger record, and finished ranked first league-wide in six key defensive categories...Intense, physical, and experienced beyond his 27 years, Lewis has led the NFL in tackles three times (1997, 1999 and 2001)...In 2000, Ray led the Ravens with 187 tackles...Led all NFL tacklers in postseason with 31 (44 after coaches video review)...In 1999, he was credited with 198 tackles (131 solo) by Ravens coaches, 167 total tackles according to NFL play-by-plays, which led all NFL tacklers (Tampa Bay’s Derrick Brooks was second with 153)...Has led the Ravens in tackles in each of his six years...Ray made his second trip to the Pro Bowl following the 1998 season after leading the Ravens again with 154 tackles...Also tabbed for The Sporting News All-Pro Team...Won the John Mackey Award in June of ‘97, as voted by his peers, for the AFC’s best linebacker... In just his second NFL season, Ray served as the “veteran” leader of the Ravens’ young linebacking corps in 1997, which consisted of Lewis and five rookies...Selected as the “needs” player for the victorious AFC squad in the 1997 Pro Bowl after leading the NFL with 210 tackles, 68 more than his team-leading total in 1996...Stepped into the starting MLB role in his rookie season at age 21, and earned USA Today’s All- Rookie team honors after leading the Ravens with 142 tackles... Was selected with the 26th overall pick in the draft, the Ravens’ second choice in the first round (OL Jonathan Ogden of UCLA was tabbed with the fourth overall pick)...The Ravens obtained the 26th choice from San Francisco in a 1995 draft-day trade...Was the fourth linebacker selected overall in the draft.
Did you ever bet Sea Leopard of Death?He worked you on that Titans/Ravens thread...I think he bumped it.I'll look...

And I am still waiting to see the play where Eddie PLANTED Lewis. If you are talking about the one where Eddie jumped up and got in Ray's face, Ray got the better end of that. Stopped him dead in his tracks and George fell on top of him.I have seen Ray get the worst of it sometimes when he his getting blocked, but never when he is tackling

Where is beermutts to defend his boy Ray Lewis? LOL, both me and Ray Lewis are watching the playoffs from the comfort of our couches, sweeeet. :thumbup:edit to add: AND I'M NOT EVEN THE DEFENSIVE MVP!! :excited:
Yeah but Ray has a Super Bowl Ring and makes millions, unlike you... ;)

Exactly. When Lewis smacks George, you see the replay 1 million times. When George stiffarms ATM into the dirt, you actually hear the announcers suggesting that ATM got the better end of it. I'm getting sick of this "best player in the NFL" or "best LB ever" BS. Ray Lewis can't hold Singletary or LT's jock. No way in hell those guys get run over by a rookie 3rd round pick RB or brushed aside by a 1 armed 30 year old RB in a home playoff game. No way. On one play yesterday ATM went into his typical routine of psychotic convulsions and this was after a 6 yard run by George. Last I checked ATM, a 6 yard play is nothing for your defense to celebrate about. The guy is all about self-promotion. It's sickening. Dude would be in jail right now were he not a pro athlete. Just a run of the mill, primadonna thug.

Stopped him dead in his tracks and George fell on top of him.
Let me school you on something, when two bodies collide in football, the one on the bottom lost the battle. You yourself are saying Eddie George fell on Raymond Lewis. Eddie George delivered the blow to Raymond Lewis and knocked him back on his overrated rearend. :yes:

Boy that is a good one....murderer,thug etc..keep bringin it. That doesn't change anything. He is the best player on the defensive side of the ball. LT played a different position(OLB) and Singletary wasn't as quick from sideline to sideline. Being the LB coach for the Ravens, Singletary has stated that Lewis is a very special player and when it is all done he will be the best to ever play that position.

Let me school you on something, when two bodies collide in football, the one on the bottom lost the battle. You yourself are saying Eddie George fell on Raymond Lewis. Eddie George delivered the blow to Raymond Lewis and knocked him back on his overrated rearend. :yes:
I dont care if Eddie ran him over or not, Joe Montana has thrown some incomplete passes, Jerry Rice has dropped some, Barry Sanders has been tackled in the backfield(actually, i believe he led the league in this stat more than once)

Boy that is a good one....murderer,thug etc..keep bringin it. That doesn't change anything. He is the best player on the defensive side of the ball. LT played a different position(OLB) and Singletary wasn't as quick from sideline to sideline. Being the LB coach for the Ravens, Singletary has stated that Lewis is a very special player and when it is all done he will be the best to ever play that position.
And how did all that help the Ravens yesterday? They're all still LOSERS!

Wrong. Lewis stopped him in his tracks and george happened to fall on him. I have seen many times when a defensive player has laid the wood and ending up on the bottom

And how did all that help the Ravens yesterday? They're all still LOSERS!
10-7 AFC North Champions, far from losers. They lost yes.And How about you step up an show some passion for your team. Who would that be?

Wrong. Lewis stopped him in his tracks and george happened to fall on him. I have seen many times when a defensive player has laid the wood and ending up on the bottom
Raymond Lewis lost that battle with Eddie George plain and simple, you're in denial. Raymond Lewis also missed tackles yesterday. Nice way to carry your team. Raymond contributed to the loss just as much as anybody. Raymond wasn't a playmaker yesterday, he simply showed up and collected a check.

Exactly. When Lewis smacks George, you see the replay 1 million times. When George stiffarms ATM into the dirt, you actually hear the announcers suggesting that ATM got the better end of it.
In this case, it was because Lewis held George to a one yard gain. I believe it was this play:2-13-BLT 33 (10:41) 27-E.George left end to BLT 32 for 1 yard (52-R.Lewis). Bringing up a 3rd & 12. Good (great?) play by Lewis, just unfortunate he ended up on the wrong side of a stiff arm.

on the play in the first quarter when mcnair did the delayed qb sneak in the red zone. Chris brown ( a rookie) was the lead blocker on the play, and he completely knocked Ray lewis 5 yards out of the play. There were no excuses for ray ray. this was a man on man situation and a skinny rookie Rb owned him straiht up. no to mention that he ran it straight up his grill the very next play.did anyone else see the block? you would have had to be paying close attention becasue the media would never actually stress a play where got smacked around

And I am still waiting to see the play where Eddie PLANTED Lewis. If you are talking about the one where Eddie jumped up and got in Ray's face, Ray got the better end of that. Stopped him dead in his tracks and George fell on top of him.I have seen Ray get the worst of it sometimes when he his getting blocked, but never when he is tackling
Wow. Talk about Denial. What does Billick's Super Bowl itinerary call for today Beermutts?Lewis got planted by Eddie and you call it a victory for ATM? Maybe if you got your head out of ATM's butt you'd get to see reality. Lewis got stiff armed into the dirt on that play and he missed several key tackles yesterday and got blown off the ball by a so-so Titans OL several times. Life isn't so easy when you don't have Siragusa and Adams to keep blockers off you every play. And don't EVER mention Ray's name in the same breath as Singletary again. That's an insult to anyone who watched Mike play.

This thread is dumb, there isnt a one of you out there that wouldnt trade your teams #1 LB for Ray Lewis.
Since none of you responded that you WOULDNT, i will take that as you would, in turn, agreeing Lewis is the best LB in the league.Argument over :thumbup:

Exactly. When Lewis smacks George, you see the replay 1 million times. When George stiffarms ATM into the dirt, you actually hear the announcers suggesting that ATM got the better end of it.
In this case, it was because Lewis held George to a one yard gain. I believe it was this play:2-13-BLT 33 (10:41) 27-E.George left end to BLT 32 for 1 yard (52-R.Lewis). Bringing up a 3rd & 12. Good (great?) play by Lewis, just unfortunate he ended up on the wrong side of a stiff arm.
I hope this isnt the play everyone is arguing George owned Lewis on. Ray made the tackle for 1 yard, and everyone thinks that was a bad thing for Lewis?

on the play in the first quarter when mcnair did the delayed qb sneak in the red zone. Chris brown ( a rookie) was the lead blocker on the play, and he completely knocked Ray lewis 5 yards out of the play. There were no excuses for ray ray. this was a man on man situation and a skinny rookie Rb owned him straiht up. no to mention that he ran it straight up his grill the very next play.did anyone else see the block? you would have had to be paying close attention becasue the media would never actually stress a play where got smacked around
EXACTLY. You just have gullible sheep who believe everything the media tells them. Ray Lewis is vastly overrated. He made several very poor plays which contributed big-time to the Ravens loss like the ones u talk about but all the media can focus on is that inflated 17 tackle BS, many of which come from ATM just jumping on the pile late and doing his dance of death.

There's so much more to playing this team game. If I was playing defense in the NFL, Ray Lewis would be the one player I would want on the same side of the ball with me.

There's so much more to playing this team game. If I was playing defense in the NFL, Ray Lewis would be the one player I would want on the same side of the ball with me.
and the one player i would NOT want on the other team.

Life isn't so easy when you don't have Siragusa and Adams to keep blockers off you every play. And don't EVER mention Ray's name in the same breath as Singletary again. That's an insult to anyone who watched Mike play.
Yet even with those 2 are not there he still finished 2(?) tackles behind the leading tackler...And Mike has said that Ray Lewis is the best LB he has seen...hmmm....

Since none of you responded that you WOULDNT, i will take that as you would, in turn, agreeing Lewis is the best LB in the league.Argument over :thumbup:
So he can say/do/act however he wants? Being the top linebacker in the game does give him immunity from criticism. Ray Lewis talks and plays a tough game, but he deserves to be treated as such during the few times a year when he gets punked (though he still stopped George for a one yard gain, which seems to be the lost factoid in the whole scenario)

EXACTLY. You just have gullible sheep who believe everything the media tells them. Ray Lewis is vastly overrated. He made several very poor plays which contributed big-time to the Ravens loss like the ones u talk about but all the media can focus on is that inflated 17 tackle BS, many of which come from ATM just jumping on the pile late and doing his dance of death.
I watch Lewis play every week. No gullible sheep here. He is the best in the NFL.

So he can say/do/act however he wants? Being the top linebacker in the game does give him immunity from criticism. Ray Lewis talks and plays a tough game, but he deserves to be treated as such during the few times a year when he gets punked (though he still stopped George for a one yard gain, which seems to be the lost factoid in the whole scenario)
I agree, but people are really grasping at straws here.

Hehe, I agree with Shick! that if I could build my defense around one man, it would easily be Ray Lewis. I could name several others that I wouldn't mind having on my defense, but Ray Lewis would lead it, hands down...

Is he overhyped? Sure. As is Donovan McNabb. As is Michael Vick. And on, and on....

So he got stiff armed by Eddie George on a play. Whoopty flippin' doo. EVERY SINGLE DEFENSIVE PLAYER, no matter WHO they are, Hall of Famer or not, has been stiff armed and looked bad on plays before. It happens. No player is perfect. And so Baltimore lost. It took a last second field goal by the Titans to pull it off. It was a great game, and played exactly how people thought it would be played - a defensive battle.

And I love the fact that, to you guys, Lewis is the only one who "celebrates" in the NFL.
Lewis is the best LB playing football today.Having siad that, his corn-cob-up-the-### stomp dance he does after every tackle is just embarrassing. Give it a rest. And regardless of how well he tackles people, he obstructed justice in a murder investigation. So, I get sick of the media blowing him every chance they get. He has a nose for the ball and he tackles well. He's also a self-inflated piece of ####.

Lewis is the best LB playing football today.Having siad that, his corn-cob-up-the-### stomp dance he does after every tackle is just embarrassing. Give it a rest. And regardless of how well he tackles people, he obstructed justice in a murder investigation. So, I get sick of the media blowing him every chance they get. He has a nose for the ball and he tackles well. He's also a self-inflated piece of ####.
Some people like it , some don't. But like you said you can't deny he is the best.When you are sitting there in the stands and Lewis comes out of the tunnel it fires everyone up. Same as on the field, he gets things pumped up. If you don't like it that is cool.

Some people like it , some don't. But like you said you can't deny he is the best.When you are sitting there in the stands and Lewis comes out of the tunnel it fires everyone up. Same as on the field, he gets things pumped up. If you don't like it that is cool.
I agree, he got me pumped up for the Ravens yesterday......and i was rooting for the Titans. :excited:

I love the above comment coming from someone who has watch Jerome Bettis dance like he has just won the Super Bowl after every three yard gain for the last seven years!

I love the above comment coming from someone who has watch Jerome Bettis dance like he has just won the Super Bowl after every three yard gain for the last seven years!
Don't forget J Porter and his kick..

The Ravens gameplan yesterday was clear. Drop safeties back to contain the Titans passing game. They were confident that ATM could contain the 31st ranked run offense in the NFL. Instead what happens? ATM's vaunted run Defense led by him gives up 165 yards and over 4.0 YPC to a team with a washed up RB and a 3rd rd rookie RB backing him up. The Ravens lost because they could not stop the run at all and the Titans totally dominated the time of possession. If Ray doesn't miss so many key 3rd down tackles or get bulldozed by Titans blockers so many times, they hold a crappy running offense to it's season total and they win this game. Their secondary certainly held up it's end of the bargain. The front 7, led by ATM, came up short. The Titans shoved it down Baltimore's throats and successfully blocked and ran over ATM several times over and over to accomplish this and all the "Ray Lewis is God" crew can point to is the inflated, BS 17 tackle total?WHO'S GRASPING?!?!?!

The Ravens gameplan yesterday was clear. Drop safeties back to contain the Titans passing game. They were confident that ATM could contain the 31st ranked run offense in the NFL. Instead what happens? ATM's vaunted run Defense led by him gives up 165 yards and over 4.0 YPC to a team with a washed up RB and a 3rd rd rookie RB backing him up. The Ravens lost because they could not stop the run at all and the Titans totally dominated the time of possession. If Ray doesn't miss so many key 3rd down tackles or get bulldozed by Titans blockers so many times, they hold a crappy running offense to it's season total and they win this game. Their secondary certainly held up it's end of the bargain. The front 7, led by ATM, came up short. The Titans shoved it down Baltimore's throats and successfully blocked and ran over ATM several times over and over to accomplish this and all the "Ray Lewis is God" crew can point to is the inflated, BS 17 tackle total?WHO'S GRASPING?!?!?!
You dont think the time of possession had anything to do with the Ravens offense? They have absolutely no passing game, and not even Jam can run against 11 in the box.

Users who are viewing this thread