What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Ray Lewis (1 Viewer)

Lewis is the best LB playing football today.Having siad that, his corn-cob-up-the-### stomp dance he does after every tackle is just embarrassing.  Give it a rest.  And regardless of how well he tackles people, he obstructed justice in a murder investigation.  So, I get sick of the media blowing him every chance they get.  He has a nose for the ball and he tackles well.  He's also a self-inflated piece of ####.
Some people like it , some don't. But like you said you can't deny he is the best.When you are sitting there in the stands and Lewis comes out of the tunnel it fires everyone up. Same as on the field, he gets things pumped up. If you don't like it that is cool.
I agree, he got me pumped up for the Ravens yesterday......and i was rooting for the Titans. :excited:
-LOL. This sounds like an obsession more than anything. -ATM had no impact on yesterday's game. Anyone who's head wasn't up Lewis' ### saw this. -All ATM had to do was help stop an awful running game and he got bulldozed and as a result the "best player ever" is sitting at home watching the playoffs.

Yup, you convinced me Ray Lewis Sucks.... :rolleyes: :rolleyes: They lost the game because the Titans Defense didn't respect the QB for the Ravens. Even when he was completing passes they still had 9 guys in the box. Don't sit there and say Ray Lewis lost this game. That is a joke...

Lewis is the best LB playing football today.Having siad that, his corn-cob-up-the-### stomp dance he does after every tackle is just embarrassing.   Give it a rest.   And regardless of how well he tackles people, he obstructed justice in a murder investigation.  So, I get sick of the media blowing him every chance they get.  He has a nose for the ball and he tackles well.   He's also a self-inflated piece of ####.
Some people like it , some don't. But like you said you can't deny he is the best.When you are sitting there in the stands and Lewis comes out of the tunnel it fires everyone up. Same as on the field, he gets things pumped up. If you don't like it that is cool.
I agree, he got me pumped up for the Ravens yesterday......and i was rooting for the Titans. :excited:
-LOL. This sounds like an obsession more than anything. -ATM had no impact on yesterday's game. Anyone who's head wasn't up Lewis' ### saw this. -All ATM had to do was help stop an awful running game and he got bulldozed and as a result the "best player ever" is sitting at home watching the playoffs.
Again, im NOT a Ray Lewis fan, but facts are facts, he is the best player in the NFL.

Lewis is the best LB playing football today.Having siad that, his corn-cob-up-the-### stomp dance he does after every tackle is just embarrassing.   Give it a rest.   And regardless of how well he tackles people, he obstructed justice in a murder investigation.  So, I get sick of the media blowing him every chance they get.  He has a nose for the ball and he tackles well.   He's also a self-inflated piece of ####.
Again, im NOT a Ray Lewis fan, but facts are facts, he is the best player in the NFL.
And that is a "fact" because of what exactly?

Yes at gametime I am obessed...

Yeah, giving up 165 yards rushing had NO IMPACT on the game, correct?-Are you a Ray Lewis groupie or something?
of course it had an impact, but the fact you and others blame Ray Lewis for the loss shows just how good you think he is.

OK, its arguable, but not on the defensive side of the ball. Who would you rather have on D?

Yeah, giving up 165 yards rushing had NO IMPACT on the game, correct?-Are you a Ray Lewis groupie or something?
They lost by a FG because they lost the battle of field position. Even though they gave up a ton of rushing yards they still could of won the game...You must be the President of the I Hate Ray Lewis Fan Club..huh?

Ray "Accessory to MURDER" Lewis = overrated indeed
Weren't people calling Lewis a "murderer" just a few weeks ago? If his critics keep back pedaling will they be saying he saved lives in a few weeks? The entire off field discussion about Ray Lewis has nothing to do with how good a football player he is. Are there people that are trying to say that he is "over hyped" because of things that happen off the field? Also, if he fails to make a play on rare occasions of course he should be open to criticism. If he fails to make a play on rare occasions that DOES NOT make him "over hyped". Lott was the best player I've ever seen play the game, but even he failed to make the play on occasion. I don't know who the people are that thought "no one even mentions the crucial third and 5 play when he missed eddie in the backfield". Ummmmm, were you even watching the game? They showed the replay more than once and the announcers said "Lewis missed the tackle". Does he miss a tackle so rarely that you think they should stop the game when he does? If he does celebrate even when he wasn't the player that made the tackle I wonder if that has anything to do with the fact that HIS TEAM just stopped the opponent? Hmmmmmmm.

OK, its arguable, but not on the defensive side of the ball. Who would you rather have on D?
So now it's getting qualified? I thought he was the "best player in the NFL, period"Now it's only on the defensive side of the ball?-I'd agree that Lewis is very good, but he clearly was not up to par yesterday. He did not have a good game at all. -You could make a very solid argument that Lewis is the 3rd best player on his own team behind Jamal Lewis and Jonathan Ogden.

So now it's getting qualified? I thought he was the "best player in the NFL, period"Now it's only on the defensive side of the ball?-I'd agree that Lewis is very good, but he clearly was not up to par yesterday. He did not have a good game at all. -You could make a very solid argument that Lewis is the 3rd best player on his own team behind Jamal Lewis and Jonathan Ogden.
YOU may be able to argue that, but i wouldnt. What did Jamal Lewis and Ogden do yesterday that was better than what Ray Lewis did?

Ogden completely neutralized one of the best DE's in the game. Jevon never got close to the QB. Lewis spearheaded the badass run D which got trucked all game long by weakass RB's. What a stud. Let's just keep deifying him despite that FACT.

All I know is there doesn't seem to be a coach, teammate, opponent, fellow LB or NFL personnel person who has ever said anything less than Ray Lewis is one of the best players at his position and a consumate teammate. Not sure how that's a product of media hype.Cheers

here  http://footballguys.net/forum/index.php?ac...=ST&f=2&t=63436Lewis should get the hype, what has Bulluck done? Lewis has the #'s, is a team leader and most importantly, a superbowl ring. Conrats to your Titans for finaly beating the Ravens, but to say anything negative about the Best player in the NFL, perhaps EVER, is just not a good idea.
the best player in the NFL ever???seriously man
i said perhaps, and in my 15-20 years of watching football, i would say i havnt seen any better, certainly not on the defensive side of the ball.
Does this mean that you never saw Lawrence Taylor play?I like Ray Lewis and enjoy watching him play. There is no doubt that he is the best LB playing today.However, all this talk about the best LB ever (inside or outside) starts and ends with #56 of the New York Football Giants.The man revolutionized the game.

here   http://footballguys.net/forum/index.php?ac...=ST&f=2&t=63436Lewis should get the hype, what has Bulluck done? Lewis has the #'s, is a team leader and most importantly, a superbowl ring. Conrats to your Titans for finaly beating the Ravens, but to say anything negative about the Best player in the NFL, perhaps EVER, is just not a good idea.
i said perhaps, and in my 15-20 years of watching football, i would say i havnt seen any better, certainly not on the defensive side of the ball.
Does this mean that you never saw Lawrence Taylor play?I like Ray Lewis and enjoy watching him play. There is no doubt that he is the best LB playing today.However, all this talk about the best LB ever (inside or outside) starts and ends with #56 of the New York Football Giants.The man revolutionized the game.
I did see LT play, and i agree, he did revolutionize the way the LB position was played. He and Lewis are both great players, and a case could be argued for either as the best ever, i just prefer Lewis.

This thread should be titled "Brian Urlacher is incredibly over hyped by the media"Ray Lewis is phenomenal.

Ray Lewis is the best football player in the NFL.Not only would I pick him first if I was starting my defense.If I was a coach, and we all started a team and I picked first. I would pick Ray Lewis.Not Manning, not Holmes, and not Moss. It would be Ray Lewis. On that play that George got in his face, he didn't even gain any yardage. That was a joke. Lewis made the tackle and Eddie got tackled again. I don't know why people think Lewis was punked. He brought the guy down.

Lewis is the best LB playing football today.Having siad that, his corn-cob-up-the-### stomp dance he does after every tackle is just embarrassing.  Give it a rest.  And regardless of how well he tackles people, he obstructed justice in a murder investigation.  So, I get sick of the media blowing him every chance they get.  He has a nose for the ball and he tackles well.  He's also a self-inflated piece of ####.
I love the above comment coming from someone who has watch Jerome Bettis dance like he has just won the Super Bowl after every three yard gain for the last seven years!
Don't forget J Porter and his kick..
Well, since it was brought up...I hate Bettis' thing too. Joey Porter does his thing once a game after a big play. Ray does it after he jumps on a pile of 4 Ravens making a tackle. Big difference IMO.

Born in NY, I was a Giant fan until football returned here in BALT...I followed LT during his playing days, and he reaked havoc all over the football field.The OLB position, and defense in general, changed as a result of this man.What he did during the week of a game has been documented---I'm not here to argue those points...I'm curious as to how good LT could have been, had he been the student of the game Lewis is. Ray hosts film sessions nightly at his home, which is open to players for dinner and study.His attention to detail has made him the best defensive player today...to argue accross eras is a waste of breath...if you were drafting in an IDP league, starting an NFL franchise and could take any defensive player, or getting a flag football game together on Thanksgiving Day, Ray Lewis is the guy you'd want on your side before any other---like him, or notLess than peak performance by him and several others resulted in a 3 point loss yesterday, by a field goal that cleared the cross bar by 6"...we've won games against this team the same way...in time, these things have a way of evening themselves out...it was not meant to be--we move onThe good news?...$24M in cap space to sign a b/u QB, starting RT and a WR w/some speed...just about everyone else returns...for this, we have reason to be quite optimistic :thumbup:

Funny how you don't win the battle of Field position when you give up 165 yards on the ground huh? LOL.
The biggest factor in this is the Offense having 7 3 and outs and Jamal getting zippo on the ground. Defense had 3To's and a TD. Offense couldn't do sustain any drives.

here   http://footballguys.net/forum/index.php?ac...=ST&f=2&t=63436Lewis should get the hype, what has Bulluck done? Lewis has the #'s, is a team leader and most importantly, a superbowl ring. Conrats to your Titans for finaly beating the Ravens, but to say anything negative about the Best player in the NFL, perhaps EVER, is just not a good idea.
I did see LT play, and i agree, he did revolutionize the way the LB position was played. He and Lewis are both great players, and a case could be argued for either as the best ever, i just prefer Lewis.
We will have to agree to disagree because I don't think its even close.LT was the best ever.

I've always felt Lewis was over rated, but I'm a Pittsburgh fan and extremely bias. Nobody leads the league in anything without a good team around them. Ray Lewis benefits a great deal by playing for a real good defensive team. There is no way Ray Lewis is the best football player ever. I think it would be a joke to even mention him in the top 10. As far as LBs go, Lawrence Taylor was probably the best to ever play. As far as MLBs go, has anyone ever dominated in their prime like **** Butkus did? **** played for some real bad teams too. The pure number of tackles may not tell the whole story. I want to see the highlight reels of open field tackles, tackles in the backfield and tackles where the LB had to fight off a blocker before making a play.

All of this and nobody pulled out the "I bet you wouldn't say it to Ray's face" line? I'm in shock :shock:

We will have to agree to disagree because I don't think its even close.
I wouldnt suspect a Giants fan with LT as his avatar would think it was close, but im afraid if you took off your homerism glasses you may see things a little differently.

Not only is Ray Lewis the best linebacker in the NFL today, he also makes his teammates around him better with his fiery leadership.

The Ravens would not be a playoff team without him.

I would go as far as to say the Ravens defense is mediocre at best without him on the field.

Is the NFL Hype machine turned on when it comes to Mr. Lewis???

Yes it certainly is but at least in his case, he is mostly deserving of the hype. I am definitely not a Ravens fan but I love watching the energy, desire and hustle that Ray Lewis brings to the field every game.

He isn't a player just out to collect a paycheck. He is a player who wants to be the best in the league. His determination and drive is only matched by a former player in another sport. That player is Michael Jordan who also made his teammates around him better with his drive to be the best of all-time.

I don't know if he is the best ever linebacker (I loved Mike Singletary and the footage I have seen of **** Butkus would certainly rank him up there) but there isn't another backer around that I would choose over him to lead my defensive unit.

Last edited by a moderator:
It's funny, the more I think about this thread, the more absurd it seems. Not only is Ray Lewis (IMHO) deserving of the praise he gets, it would seem to me that of all the "great" linebackers in the game today, he's the MOST deserving of props.Is anyone going to tell me that players like Brian Urlacher, Jeremiah Trotter or Lavar Arrington are more deserving of their Pro Bowl nominations and pub as "great" LBs? LOL, it's not even close. Would anyone here, or to put it more directly...does anyone think any NFL personnel director, would rather have any other LB in the game today than Ray Lewis? Derrick Brooks is very good, but I'd trade three of him for Lewis.Now that I've said my peace, I did want to take issue with the Lewis vs. LT thing...in my view it's simply not even close, and I'm no Giants homer obviously ;) . Let's remember the kind of year's LT used to have. The one aspect to LT's game that Ray has never come close to matching is that of a pass rusher. LT was able to be an impact playmaker regardless of down and distance, in a way that no LB in the past 30 years has matched.Cheers

Ray Lewis is a great LB, probably the best in the NFL today, but the tackles stats are bogus. Many times a player gets credit for tackles after he is the 2nd or even 3rd guy in. In Lewis' case I saw it at least three or four times during the Tennessee game.There are lots of good middle linebackers in the NFL. What separates Ray Lewis from the rest of the linebackers is his great desire. He can fire up a whole team and turn everyone's performance up a notch. However he is way overhyped to the point that it is almost unbearable to watch the Ravens on TV unless you happen to be a Ravens fan. Baltimore has 11 guys on defense and all they talk about is Lewis, even when he is not involved in the play. I think that is why so many people love it when they see Lewis get taken out of a play. And Ray Lewis is not the player I would want from the Ravens. That would be Ed Reed. I've said it before and I'll say it again, Ed Reed is the real playmaker on that defense. Without Reed, Tennessee easily wins that game by 13-17 points.

this is the most rediculous thread ever, everybody knows that ray is the most passionate, most dominate player in the game. in fact name me ANY other defensive player in the leauge that teams change their gameplan for? ray is the kind of guy that if he is on your team you love him and if not, you hate him like derek jeter or shane battier if you are a md basketball fan

Is anyone keeping score on this topic? Please add my name to the, "Ray Lewis is the best LB in football today," list. Is it possible to be the best at something and still be over-hyped? I don't believe so.Those that dispise him simply for his tackle-dance, I think I can add a bit of perspective to that. Being a Charger fan, I always loved it when Junior Seau (the LB that Lewis took the crown from) would make a big play and then do that arm-punch tackle-dance that he always does. Now that he's on the Dolphins, I don't nearly think it's as charming as I used to. Point being, those kind of things, when anticipated by the team and it's fans, brings an added energy to the whole place. If you like the guy making the play and his team, it's electrifying. If you don't, it's obnoxious.On tackles...Tackles are an interesting stat that few really understand. If an offensive player chases a guy out of bounds without touching him, he is credited with a tackle. If a guy is percieved to help stop the forward momentum of an offensive player, even if he's the 4th guy to get to the play, he gets credited with a tackle. There are lots of instances when a tackle is awarded without much of a play or contact. That said, when you look at any guys stats and see 6 tackles, there's a good chance that only 2 or 3 of those involved solid contact and only 1 or 2 were solo tackles. So when a guy consistently leads the league in tackles, as Lewis does, it just averages out that he makes more plays than anyone else on defense in the NFL.

Is Lewis the best LB in the game right now? I have a hard time finding anyone who is.

Do I get bored and tired of announcers continually telling me he is the best LB ever even when it is blatently obvious that he had nothing to do with the play, but still still gets credit for it? Yes I certainly do.

I know he is a good LB, but I get sick of being told about it every single defensive play. Brett Favre is the offensive equivalent of Lewis, not just referring to the last couple of weeks either. I would like both of these players a lot more if the announcers just let their talent and playmaking ability do the talking. I don't need to be reminded that they are good every single play.

Is Lewis the best LB in the game right now? I have a hard time finding anyone who is.

Do I get bored and tired of announcers continually telling me he is the best LB ever even when it is blatently obvious that he had nothing to do with the play, but still still gets credit for it? Yes I certainly do.

I know he is a good LB, but I get sick of being told about it every single defensive play. Brett Favre is the offensive equivalent of Lewis, not just referring to the last couple of weeks either. I would like both of these players a lot more if the announcers just let their talent and playmaking ability do the talking. I don't need to be reminded that they are good every single play.
Excellent post :thumbup:

This thread is dumb, there isnt a one of you out there that wouldnt trade your teams #1 LB for Ray Lewis.
The two pages following this post are worthless crap. This one sums it all up.Hate the media for over-hyping if you must but considering him anything less than the best at his position shows a juvenile understanding of football.

Raymond Lewis lost that battle with Eddie George plain and simple, you're in denial. Raymond Lewis also missed tackles yesterday. Nice way to carry your team. Raymond contributed to the loss just as much as anybody. Raymond wasn't a playmaker yesterday, he simply showed up and collected a check.
You must be the idiot our village has been missing since matrix got thrown out.

The two pages following this post are worthless crap. This one sums it all up.Hate the media for over-hyping if you must but considering him anything less than the best at his position shows a juvenile understanding of football.
I don't think anyone here disputes that Ray Lewis is a great player. But the title of the thread is "Ray Lewis, is incredibly over hyped by the media" and I don't see how anyone, even Ray Lewis' mom, could suggest that he hasn't been overhyped and overexposed. The ESPN Sunday night crew just went overboard two weeks in a row to the point that I thought Theisman & Co. were going to go down and service Lewis right on the field. The camera crew showed Lewis on virtually every play when Baltimore's defense was on the field, whether he had anything to do with play or not. They made a point to show him coming off the field after every kick attempt and even showed him on the sideline when Baltimore's offense was playing. It got to the point where I was glad to see them showing Billick's mug in the 4th quarter and I never thought I would say that!The weird thing about it was that Lewis wasn't having a particularly good game (by his standards). Sure he had a lot of tackles but many of those were assists and more than a few of them were after George had gained 5 yards or more.Yes, Ray Lewis is the best linebacker in the NFL right now but the Ravens have 10 other guys on defense that are pretty darn good too. And spare me the "juvenile understanding of football remark". :thumbdown:

Just stumbled across an article on cbs sportsline by Pete Prisco. Link to story.Here are a couple of funny/interesting comments:Albert Haynesworth on RayRay:

The Titans defensive players don't think too highly of Lewis. They think his pregame dancing routine is a bit much. "It's good if he wants to be the backup dancer for Jay-Z or something," said Titans defensive tackle Albert Haynesworth. "But this is football. Just play football."
Haynesworth, again, on Orlando Brown:
"I thought I was a hothead," said Haynesworth. "That guy is bad."
Pete Prisco:
But you don't question a player's heart. Not with a playoff game in the balance. Maybe Ray Lewis made a major mistake in questioning George's heart.

I don't think anyone here disputes that Ray Lewis is a great player. But the title of the thread is "Ray Lewis, is incredibly over hyped by the media" and I don't see how anyone, even Ray Lewis' mom, could suggest that he hasn't been overhyped and overexposed.
I dont believe he is overhyped, fact is, to sell a sport you sell your star players. Ray Lewis IS one of those star players. I do get sick of hearing about the same guy over and over as do most of you, but they are gonna do it no matter what, so it might as well be someone deserving, and Lewis is.

I don't think anyone here disputes that Ray Lewis is a great player. But the title of the thread is "Ray Lewis, is incredibly over hyped by the media" and I don't see how anyone, even Ray Lewis' mom, could suggest that he hasn't been overhyped and overexposed.
I dont believe he is overhyped, fact is, to sell a sport you sell your star players. Ray Lewis IS one of those star players. I do get sick of hearing about the same guy over and over as do most of you, but they are gonna do it no matter what, so it might as well be someone deserving, and Lewis is.
Selling the sport is something the league does. Overhyping a player is something the media and announcers do.Give Lewis credit for everything he does, but don't give him a bj every time he jumps on a pile or does up his chin strap. I think that is what the majority of people are saying here.

Selling the sport is something the league does. Overhyping a player is something the media and announcers do.Give Lewis credit for everything he does, but don't give him a bj every time he jumps on a pile or does up his chin strap. I think that is what the majority of people are saying here.
You dont think the league has something to do with announcers hyping players?If your going to complain about anyone being overhyped, i have two names for you......John Madden-Brett Favre

You dont think the league has something to do with announcers hyping players?If your going to complain about anyone being overhyped, i have two names for you......John Madden-Brett Favre
I totally agree with Madden and Favre being overhyped, but have a hard time believing that the league dictates to the announcers who will be the "in" players every year.

I totally agree with Madden and Favre being overhyped, but have a hard time believing that the league dictates to the announcers who will be the "in" players every year.
No, i doubt the league has much to do with what players, but definetly has something to do with hyping players. And like i said, if they are going to be hyping players anyway, it might as well be someone like Lewis. Especially because he plays defense, and usually players that get all the hype are QB's and the other "skill" positions.

Last edited by a moderator:
No, i doubt the league has much to do with what players, but definetly has something to do with hyping players. And like i said, if they are going to be hyping players anyway, it might as well be someone like Lewis. Especially because he plays defense, and usually players that get all the hype are QB's and the other "skill" positions.
I like the idea of promoting, not hyping, a player that doesn't play QB, RB or WR. The league was successful doing his with Kearse a couple years ago.But as I have stated before, promote a player for his accomplishments, don't fawn over him for tying his shoe. [using mybestpaulmaguirevoice]"Let me show you how Lewis ties his shoe. Right over left. Wow. This guy is incredible."

I think Lewis is one of the top team leaders in sports today. He brings so much charisma and work to a team its invaluable. He is a true team leader, and plays on a team that is deficient at key positions. That said, physically, Lewis is not as dominant as his 2000 Super Bowl campaign. His hype from the media is deserved, but the reality is that Tennessee was the team with the elite defensive unit, not Baltimore. Tennessee moved the ball at will on the Ravens, something that just did not happen a few years ago.

I like the idea of promoting, not hyping, a player that doesn't play QB, RB or WR. The league was successful doing his with Kearse a couple years ago.But as I have stated before, promote a player for his accomplishments, don't fawn over him for tying his shoe. [using mybestpaulmaguirevoice]"Let me show you how Lewis ties his shoe. Right over left. Wow. This guy is incredible."
I do agree with you about overhyping, im just saying since if its going to happen anyway, it may as well be Lewis.

Users who are viewing this thread