What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Ray Rice and Bernard Pierce....uh oh (1 Viewer)

Haven't seen this posted anywhere yet. Bernard Pierce is questionable with a thigh injury. Ravens signed Shaun Draughn - RB a couple of days ago. It appears Rice will get more than the usual ratio of snaps/touches this week.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2013/09/13/bernard-pierce-questionable-for-ravens/
No he won't. Shaun Draughn and Delone Carter will significantly eat into Ray Rice's workload.

I hope I don't need to clarify that I am kidding.
What the?!?!?! That's the stupidest...

Oh, just read the second line of your post. :D

The Ravens are calling Ray Rice's Week 2 injury a left hip flexor strain.
He's not scheduled for an MRI at this point, which is good news and suggests team doctors believe Rice avoided a long-term injury. Consider Rice day to day, but questionable for Week 3 against the Texans. Rice finished Sunday's win with 13 rushes for 36 yards, three receptions, and one fumble lost.

So much for my rationale that taking Rice was the "safest" thing to do at 1.09. Gotta admit, I didn't take seriously enough the Pierce timeshare, and now this injury. Losint that RZ carry to Pierce (prior to the injury) really drove home the point for me. My bad.

So much for my rationale that taking Rice was the "safest" thing to do at 1.09. Gotta admit, I didn't take seriously enough the Pierce timeshare, and now this injury. Losint that RZ carry to Pierce (prior to the injury) really drove home the point for me. My bad.
If it makes you feel any better, you're not alone.

Exactly. Much safer than McCoy. :cry:

cubbie5150 said:
if today bothered you, you should have never drafted him. Better trade him.

cubbie5150 said:
Wow, thanks for the great insight!! You're the bestest!!!!!

Does anyone have an idea of what the snap/play breakdown looked like before the injury? Someone responded to my "Pierce is getting the RZ carries" with "Rice is injured" yet another stated that he was receiving RZ carries before the injury.

nxmehta said:
bagger said:
cubbie5150 said:
Wow, thanks for the great insight!! You're the bestest!!!!!
what insight do you need?You are whining about how you made a mistake drafting him at 1.09 which was an absolute gift. He had a good week 1, had a poor week 2 and got injured. Also had a bit of bad luck with a Pierce TD, which if you did 30 seconds of research you would understand was a risk at times.

Nothing has changed with Rice since when you drafted him.

Nobody comes with a guarantee of producing every week.

You should have drafted well enough to cover a one week lack of production. And handcuffed Rice with Pierce, as a Rice owner, both of which I did.

If you didn't don't blame that on Rice. You're just mad cuz bad.
He's neither "mad" or "whining". He's admitting that he thinks he made a mistake.

It's not clear why you're being a #### about this.
This is a microcosm of a larger macro problem. You'll find this in every single thread and it's getting old quick. I have no idea why some people feel the overwhelming need to act like a complete and utter ##### but I just hope they don't interact with people like that in real life.

Anyway, after watching some highlights, I see Rice went down around the 11 minute mark in the 4th so I don't think Pierce's workload/usage can solely be attributed to the injury. It'll be interesting to see how this plays out but I believe Pierce owners can treat him as a low-end RB1 based on volume alone next week, assuming Rice doesn't suit up. HOU doesn't seem as stout as they were last year, although I would not consider them a plus match-up.

Last edited by a moderator:
Correct me if I'm wrong but Pierce isn't nearly the receiver that Rice is. So if Rice is out at all, who takes the receptions?

Correct me if I'm wrong but Pierce isn't nearly the receiver that Rice is. So if Rice is out at all, who takes the receptions?
I remember Shaun Draughn catching some passes in KC last year but he was pretty underwhelming overall. To be fair, not being "nearly the receiver Rice is" may not mean much, as Rice has some of the best hands amongst all RBs in the league. Pierce can catch, he's just not nearly as adept. I think it's safe to assume he'd receive a rather heavy work load regardless. There's a reason he's regarded as one of the top handcuffs.

bagger said:
to say you made a mistake after two weeks especially after one of the weeks was a 21 point success is idiotic.
Not nearly as idiotic as saying Rice is completely underrated year after year or that he's finished higher than his ADP every year.

bagger said:
to say you made a mistake after two weeks especially after one of the weeks was a 21 point success is idiotic.
Not nearly as idiotic as saying Rice is completely underrated year after year or that he's finished higher than his ADP every year.
he has. The guy is complaining Rice fell to him at 1.09. Just because rice actually does do that doesn't mean That in year n+1 people's perception is that he is worse than his past production.Rice was the #4 RB last year in PPR. He wasn't on anyone's top 5 and his adp was 1.06. People who got him at 1.09 are complaining after 2 weeks when he scored 21 points in week 1. And you don't think he is underrated. This thread is proving my point.

But good luck this year!

bagger said:
he has. The guy is complaining Rice fell to him at 1.09. Just because rice actually does do that doesn't mean That in year n+1 people's perception is that he is worse than his past production.Rice was the #4 RB last year in PPR. He wasn't on anyone's top 5 and his adp was 1.06. People who got him at 1.09 are complaining after 2 weeks when he scored 21 points in week 1. And you don't think he is underrated. This thread is proving my point.

But good luck this year!
WTH are you talking about? Rice has finished worse than his adp 2 out of the last 3 seasons. Do you know what underrated means?

while pierce didnt look good yesterday.. he did face a top 10 run defense... his numbers should improve next week as long as rice is out.

I've said it before and I'll say it again....Pierce just looks bad as a runner
Yeah, I'd starve to death if my livlihood depended upon my ability to be an NFL evaluator, but with that being said, whenever I've watched Pierce (I owned him last year), I haven't come away particularly impressed. Maybe he just has subtle running skills that a novice like me just can't appreciate. Whatever the case, I don't get the coaching staff's hard on for getting him more touches. I guess it doesn't matter though. He's here, and he's here to stay. I would've drafted him again this year, but he was taken by another 2 Rds earlier than I expected.

50/50 or 40/60 (Rice in 60) split in carries I'd guess when Rice comes back. Rice seems to get a lot more catches but Pierce got the goal line TD a couple weeks ago so not all goal line carries automatically go to Rice.

I'm not going to ##### about the 15.2 points he got in my PPR league. That's why draft handcuffs. I didn't expect him to be a carbon copy of Ray Rice, but I am a little worried that he didn't do more with his 26 touches to gain just 72 total yards. If it weren't for the goal line TD on a second try, it would have been a poor day. And I know the Houston defense is supposed to be good. But the Ravens won that game by 3 TD's. There really should have been some garbage yards there for Pierce and he just plodded along. The silver lining: once Rice gets back, all this talk of expanded timeshare should die down.

I'm not going to ##### about the 15.2 points he got in my PPR league. That's why draft handcuffs. I didn't expect him to be a carbon copy of Ray Rice, but I am a little worried that he didn't do more with his 26 touches to gain just 72 total yards. If it weren't for the goal line TD on a second try, it would have been a poor day. And I know the Houston defense is supposed to be good. But the Ravens won that game by 3 TD's. There really should have been some garbage yards there for Pierce and he just plodded along. The silver lining: once Rice gets back, all this talk of expanded timeshare should die down.
what talk? it was an actual expanded timeshare to start the season and now that Rice is nursing an injury odds are it won't tilt more in his favor. before Rice got injured Pierce had 16 carries, Rice 25. A 60/40 split, add in a Rice hip injury and something like 55/45 is what I expect

yeah, i didnt even start pierce, went with gore and j bell instead and will likely do the same again this week.

This is still a timeshare. Regardless of how we feel in our RB evaluations, BAL likes Pierce and the way he compliments Rice.

As for how he performed vs. HOU, I was definitely a bit disappointed. We have to remember that BALs offense is rather anemic and I'm sure HOU (without looking at tape) knew exactly what BAL was going to do as soon a they got the lead. I'm betting Pierce faced a ton of eight man fronts last Sunday and of course, HOU is no pushover (I underestimated them).

If Pierce gets the nod vs. BUF next week, the same BUF that let Powell run on them for 150 yards you better believe I'll be starting him confidently as a RB1.

Yeah, I won't think twice about starting Pierce against Buffalo. That's no worse than an RB2 with RB1 upside. If all Pierce gives me this year is two weeks of production and future insurance for Ray Rice, he was well worth the middle round pick I had to use to secure the Balt. running game.

Look, we get the time share aspect.....we do....we know hows its been and for roughly how long its been.

If Pierce continues to look as bad as he has it will not be a time share for long.

Look, we get the time share aspect.....we do....we know hows its been and for roughly how long its been.

If Pierce continues to look as bad as he has it will not be a time share for long.
Yeah, I know, I've been :deadhorse: .

Let's just wait until next week to fire this back up. If Pierce does indeed get the nod vs. BUF I think we'll be able to better evaluate this entire situation (offense, OLine, Pierce's ability and all). HOU is allowing a paltry 3YPC to RBs and Pierce's TD was the first scored against them of the season.

Last edited by a moderator:
Pierce has been pretty bad this year so far.
Wrong

Ravens OL has been garbage, both RBs have ypc <3.00 and Flacco is running for his life most of the time.
The blame is circular imo. How much can we attribute it to the loss of Boldin and Pitta as key offensive weapons that once bailed out Flacco. Weakened passing game dictates stacked boxes. Who should really get the blame?

Wrong

Ravens OL has been garbage, both RBs have ypc <3.00 and Flacco is running for his life most of the time.
The blame is circular imo. How much can we attribute it to the loss of Boldin and Pitta as key offensive weapons that once bailed out Flacco. Weakened passing game dictates stacked boxes. Who should really get the blame?
bottom line i dont think it matters who gets the blame, just that is the situation for ravens as a whole.maybe it gets figured out but this is the reality at least in the short term.

Wrong

I blame the guy that looks like crap with the football in his hands

I think the Ravens as a whole will look better next week, they started out with 3 fairly challenging defenses and the bills doesnt look nearly as good as the others.

Hes good. Hes not Rice. Rice owners have nothing to worry about
Yeah, I have been unimpressed with what Ive seen from Pierce so far this year. I think Pierce's stock is a little below where it was pre-season, assuming Rice was currently healthy that is, and once Rice is back he will continue to get markedly more touches than Pierce. Of course Pierce's stock could bounce back this week with a nice matchup. Also, lets not overlook that BAL had 2 DEF/ST TD's last week. Without that, this was a close game and if both RBs were healthy you have to think it wouldve been even more likely for Rice to be in the game much more than Pierce late.

Im in an interesting position, as I own Rice in 1 league and dont have Pierce, and in another I only have Pierce. Of course I'll be starting Pierce in the latter for as long as Rice is out, but I also truly think he has been unimpressive and Im not worried about him once Rice is back more than I was before the season.

50/50 or 40/60 (Rice in 60) split in carries I'd guess when Rice comes back. Rice seems to get a lot more catches but Pierce got the goal line TD a couple weeks ago so not all goal line carries automatically go to Rice.
Not true, because Rice was already out of the game with his injury at that point.

Not true, because Rice was already out of the game with his injury at that point.
Are you suggesting the heavy usage of Rice in recent season is taking it's toll?

Users who are viewing this thread