What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

RB Antonio Gibson, NE (2 Viewers)

Any thoughts on this guy headed into free agency? He was a hot item at one point in his career. Is he limited in skill or did Washington just not find a way to use him correctly? Seems like he would be a great McKinnon replacement in KC IMO.
I'm not expecting him to be considered a top-10 FA RB option, but he could make it into a 3rd down role somewhere, but more as a candidate than someone who is handed a job.

Kinda expecting something like a 1 year 2 million type flier.

I'm not expecting him to be considered a top-10 FA RB option, but he could make it into a 3rd down role somewhere, but more as a candidate than someone who is handed a job.

Kinda expecting something like a 1 year 2 million type flier.
This sounds reasonable.

His reputation as a fumbler might cost him though - could be a contract like that, but with 1/3 of it incentive-based.

NFL Network’s Ian Rapoport reports the Patriots and Antonio Gibson have agreed to a contract.
Gibson totaled 3,926 yards from scrimmage and 29 touchdowns during his four years in Washington and rushed for a career-best 258-1037-7 in 2021. A former receiver turned running back, Gibson never fully amounted to the dual-threat back fantasy managers hoped to see when the Commanders selected him in the third round of the 2020 NFL Draft. Now with the Patriots, Gibson will compete with Rhamondre Stevenson for touches but could at least earn a third-down role after averaging an efficient 8.1 yards per reception last season.

LOVE LOVE LOVE this spot for him! His strength has always been getting the ball in space and getting touches in the passing game, and it's not like the Pats have a ton of great receivers on the team. Add a likely rookie QB and lots of dumps offs...Buy Mortimer, BUY!!!

LOVE LOVE LOVE this spot for him! His strength has always been getting the ball in space and getting touches in the passing game, and it's not like the Pats have a ton of great receivers on the team. Add a likely rookie QB and lots of dumps offs...Buy Mortimer, BUY!!!
He’s still a fumbler though.

I see him as a COP with Stevenson getting the lion’s share of touches.

I’d hold off on buying just yet.

I could be off…we’ll see.

Am I the only one getting Kevin Faulk/James White sort of vibes in that he may turn into a viable PPR flex play?
If BB was still the coach.

He was the last few years and that type of RB was MIA for some reason.
Stevenson had 69 receptions two seasons ago and was on pace for 55 last year before he got hurt. IMO, it's impossible to tell what NE will do and how to project individual players until we see what the roster looks like. That being said, I don't see Gibson having more receptions than Stevenson, and I don't see them throwing the ball 100+ times to the two of them.

Am I the only one getting Kevin Faulk/James White sort of vibes in that he may turn into a viable PPR flex play?

Stevenson had 69 receptions two seasons ago and was on pace for 55 last year before he got hurt. IMO, it's impossible to tell what NE will do and how to project individual players until we see what the roster looks like. That being said, I don't see Gibson having more receptions than Stevenson, and I don't see them throwing the ball 100+ times to the two of them.

There was no other RBs to catch the ball that year…I would be surprised that after targeting Gibson right away that he does not lead the RB-room in receptions…Stevenson will easily lead it in rushing and I think they would really like to keep him healthy for 17 games.

There was no other RBs to catch the ball that year…I would be surprised that after targeting Gibson right away that he does not lead the RB-room in receptions…Stevenson will easily lead it in rushing and I think they would really like to keep him healthy for 17 games.
I think we need to ignore the NE tendencies when BB was there and focus on what Van Pelt has done. In 4 years as OC in CLE, the RB leader in receptions had 44, 35, 22, and 38 receptions. In 2 seasons as the RB Coach in GB, the RB leader in receptions had 35 and 18. As the OC for one season in BUF, the team leader in RB receptions was 46. IMO, that may not be relevant . . . but I would proffer that that would be more relevant than whatever James White or Kevin Faulk did.

I think we need to ignore the NE tendencies when BB was there and focus on what Van Pelt has done. In 4 years as OC in CLE, the RB leader in receptions had 44, 35, 22, and 38 receptions. In 2 seasons as the RB Coach in GB, the RB leader in receptions had 35 and 18. As the OC for one season in BUF, the team leader in RB receptions was 46. IMO, that may not be relevant . . . but I would proffer that that would be more relevant than whatever James White or Kevin Faulk did.
That’s exactly my point above.

That has zero to do with why I think that...BB is long gone already...it is based on the player's skill-set and the Pats targeting him.

That has zero to do with why I think that...BB is long gone already...it is based on the player's skill-set and the Pats targeting him.
Who knows why they ended up with him. I'm guessing they didn't want to pony up bigger dollars for the other backs. Gibson might have been one of the few guys that would agree to come to NE. Maybe he was attractive because he was cheaper. I would read much into some of the early signings.

The Patriots are re-signing offensive lineman Mike Onwenu. It’s a three-year contract worth $57 million with $38 million guaranteed and a $22.5 million signing bonus, NFL Media reported.

I saw it as they weren’t gonna re-sign Zeke, and Gibson was affordable. :shrug:

Bottomline was they were adding to this position...they had no choice because they only had one viable RB...this was a day one signing and not a second wave signing which is why I think they have a plan in place for him...that could change with what else they add but I fully expect him to be pretty involved in the passing game.

I saw it as they weren’t gonna re-sign Zeke, and Gibson was affordable. :shrug:

Bottomline was they were adding to this position...they had no choice because they only had one viable RB...this was a day one signing and not a second wave signing which is why I think they have a plan in place for him...that could change with what else they add but I fully expect him to be pretty involved in the passing game.
Well, they don’t exactly have a plethora of talented receivers, so it’s a sensible take.

Users who are viewing this thread