What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

RB Austin Ekeler, WAS (3 Viewers)

wgoldsph said:
Oh yeah?  Cause the smart handcuff before the season was Roundtree, considering Jackson and Kelly had chances before and did nothing.   So how's that working out?
Things change

wgoldsph said:
Oh yeah?  Cause the smart handcuff before the season was Roundtree, considering Jackson and Kelly had chances before and did nothing.   So how's that working out?
I am not sure where this is coming from

Jackson has always done well when given the chance.

TampaMike19 said:
Justin Jackson is a pretty bad start against a stout Denver D...roll with Ekeler and don't look back. 

Changing my tune a little as the Broncos seem snake bitten. Jackson could get some run that people aren't realizing. Too bad I dropped him to my opponent that needed a rb2. Obviously risky considering they would just run Kelley out there in garbage time 

I am not sure where this is coming from

Jackson has always done well when given the chance.
I mean he did have a good 2019 when looking at the numbers, but his two other years have average backup rb stats with a handful of games missed to injury.  That's why the chargers invested in Roundtree in the first place.

Things change
You’re still playing a guessing game between three backups here.  Up until the week of Ekeler first being coddled with his ankle injury there was no clear indication of who to pick up, and when there was Jackson had become a ww priority for everyone in need of a spot starter.

Handcuffing your backups works for players like Cook and Mattison, but not in all cases.  Certainly not in Ekeler's this year.

Last edited by a moderator:
Austin Ekeler said he advocates for limiting his touches to remain healthy during the NFL season. 

In a guest appearance on The People's Pregame: NBCXL's Fan Controlled Football Podcast, Ekeler -- an avid fantasy football manager -- said, "You can even go ask my management, like, 'Hey, make sure you limit my touches, like you got to make sure I can get through the entire season.'" Ekeler has never been treated as an early-down workhorse in the NFL; last year was his first season of more than 200 carries (12.87 per game). He saw 50 percent of the Chargers' rushing attempts in 2021, a far smaller share than most starting backs. It's the passing game where Ekeler excels. Last year he commanded a 16 percent target share in LA's offense, as only Najee Harris had more expected receiving fantasy points than Ekeler. Expect the Chargers to continue sprinkling in other running backs on early downs in 2022. 

SOURCE: The People's Pregame podcast 

Apr 1, 2022, 12:20 PM ET

"If you want me healthy in week 18, don't slam me up the middle on a 3rd and 10 any more."

Last edited by a moderator:

Austin Ekeler rushed 14 times for 36 yards and caught all four of his targets for 36 yards in the Chargers' Week 1 win over the Raiders.

Ekeler handled 14-of-25 backfield carries, losing a combined 11 to Sony Michel and Joshua Kelley. His four targets were two more than Kelley, while Michel drew zero. Ekeler is definitely in danger of losing more touches to guys like Michel this season, but his floor remains pretty strong for fantasy. He should again handle 15-20 touches next week against the Chiefs on Thursday night.

- NBCSportsEDGE

Austin Ekeler rushed 14 times for 39 yards in the Chargers' Week 2 loss to the Chiefs, adding nine receptions for 55 additional yards.​

The 23 touches were five more than Ekeler's Week 1 mark, though he was held out of the end zone for the second straight week. This, as he ceded literal goal-line touches to Sony Michel and "Zander Horvath." Ekeler did touch the ball four times inside the 20, though his closest handle came from the seven. Michel and Josh Kelley ultimately combined for 10 go-nowhere touches. It's been a frustrating two weeks, but 41 handles through two games isn't exactly panic button time. The touchdowns will follow, hopefully as soon as Week 3 against the Jaguars.
Sep 15, 2022, 11:45 PM ET

I picked up Michel as a handcuff and possible GL back. A healthy Joshua Kelley has looked better. Would he be the starter if Ekeler missed time?

This guy was drafted early in most drafts and he has certainly underperformed so far.
And he is losing carries to Kelley and Michel.
I know it’s early but he is killing me right now.
Vent over.

This guy was drafted early in most drafts and he has certainly underperformed so far.
Vent over.
They announced before the season that his workload would be less. I thought they were referring to goalline touches.

Vent over.
I'm screwed as well. When you pick someone as early as he went and he is basically in a time share....at best, your season is over.

Chargers don't even look like they have a clue with their RBs. They're getting nothing out of the position and seemingly just blindly rotating 3 guys. They look like they're afraid to use Ekeler too much, but they've gotta start using him more and with a better plan. He looks fine physically.

Wonder if we can also win stuff posting our LOSING lineups with him on his Twitter?

Chargers don't even look like they have a clue with their RBs. They're getting nothing out of the position and seemingly just blindly rotating 3 guys. They look like they're afraid to use Ekeler too much, but they've gotta start using him more and with a better plan. He looks fine physically.

Wonder if we can also win stuff posting our LOSING lineups with him on his Twitter?
Dealing Ekeler this week.. Well going to try to, not sure what I will get for him.

So far a huge disappointment.
Well we hope for a big week finally??
Can't trade him because his value has dropped so much.
I have had one lowwww offer.

Austin Ekeler rushed 13 times for 60 yards and two touchdowns in Los Angeles' Week 4 win over Houston, adding six catches for 49 yards and an additional touchdown on seven targets.

Ekeler came up huge on Los Angeles' final real drive of the game, catching a fourth-down catch in the flat uncovered for 20 yards, then taking another flat pass 14 yards for a touchdown to stop a 17-0 Houston run. It's a little disheartening that the Chargers offense was still creating so many negative carries for their star back against one of the worst run defenses in the NFL, but Ekeler delivered big fantasy points in a smash spot. Against the Browns in Week 5, Ekeler will be in the RB1 conversation again.

- NBCSportsEDGE

Austin Ekeler rushed 14 times for 36 yards and one touchdown in the Chargers' Week 6 win over the Broncos Monday night, adding 10 catches for 47 yards on 16 targets.​

Ekeler was the offense for the Chargers in this one, out-carrying Sony Michel 14-8 with Joshua Kelley (knee) injured early and also leading the team with his 16 targets. Justin Herbert was under a lot of heat and couldn't hook up with Mike Williams for any deep balls in CB Pat Surtain's coverage, so he resorted to countless dump-offs to Ekeler. The 16 targets were easily his most of the year, and he's now on pace to catch 116 passes this season. Ekeler also has six touchdowns over his last three games, producing as a top-two fantasy back. This offense badly needs Keenan Allen back, but Ekeler is on his way to another monster campaign. He gets a Week 7 date with the lowly Seahawks.
Oct 18, 2022, 12:04 AM ET

Austin Ekeler rushed nine times for 31 yards and one touchdown in the Chargers' Week 7 loss to the Seahawks, adding 12 catches for 96 yards and an additional touchdown.

Even when the Chargers are getting blown out of the building, Ekeler is still able to post video-game numbers. Ekeler punched in a seven-yard touchdown run in the second quarter to put the Bolts on the board and then caught a meaningless one-yard score late in the fourth quarter. He's now posted back-to-back games of double-digit catches and is on pace for well over 100 grabs as the only means of offense for the Chargers when defenses are suffocating Mike Williams. Ekeler has eight touchdowns in his last four games as fantasy's overall RB1. He gets a much-deserved Week 8 bye before a Week 9 date with the Falcons.

- NBCSportsEDGE

Austin Ekeler was added to the Chargers' Thursday injury report with an abdominal issue, getting in a "limited" session.​

The Los Angeles Times' Jeff Miller reports he talked to Ekeler before practice and he "offered no hint that he was dealing with anything." That means the issue is either exceedingly minor or he picked it up in Thursday's session. The latter is more likely. It makes Ekeler genuinely questionable for Sunday against the Falcons, though another "limited" session on Friday would keep Ekeler on track to suit up. If Ekeler can't go, it has been pure chaos behind him on the depth chart, with Sony Michel, Isaiah Spiller and FB Zander Horvath all candidates to pick up his lost reps and touches. Joshua Kelley (knee) is on I.R.
SOURCE: Jeff Miller on Twitter
Nov 3, 2022, 6:44 PM ET

NFL Network's Ian Rapoport reports it "sounds like" the Chargers were just being cautious by limiting Austin Ekeler (abdomen) in Thursday's practice.​

It's good news, though Friday will tell the tale. Another "limited" session will mean Ekeler bounced back fine and is on track to face the Falcons. A "DNP" will indicate a strong level of uncertainty, one suggesting more "out" than "in." It is difficult to know who to prioritize behind Ekeler, though Sony Michel played a handful more snaps than Isaiah Spiller in Week 7. FB Zander Horvath could also be in the mix. Hopefully it's a moot point and Ekeler is ready for his typical role.
SOURCE: Ian Rapoport on Twitter
Nov 3, 2022, 7:51 PM ET

Austin Ekeler (abdomen) will play Week 9 against the Falcons.​

Ekeler was "limited" on Thursday with an abdominal issue, but that was reportedly just a precautionary measure from the team. He practiced in full Friday and was left off the final injury report. With Mike Williams (ankle) and Keenan Allen (hamstring) out, Ekeler should see an increase to his already gargantuan target share, keeping him a high-end RB1.
Nov 4, 2022, 4:05 PM ET

Austin Ekeler rushed 14 times for 47 yards and a touchdown in the Chargers' Week 9 win over the Falcons, adding seven catches for 24 yards and a touchdown.

Ekeler nearly scored another receiving touchdown by rolling over a defender instead of hitting the ground while being tackled. He then walked untouched into the end zone, but a replay showed his elbow hitting the ground. Ekeler saw nine targets in this contest, bringing him up to 37 targets in his past three games. Without Keenan Allen and Mike Williams in the lineup, Ekeler will essentially operate as both a receiver and running back for the Chargers. That will likely continue in Week 10 against the 49ers.
- NBCSportsEDGE

Austin Ekeler rushed six times for 24 yards in the Chargers' Week 10 loss to the 49ers, adding seven catches for 39 yards.​

Ekeler was needed early and often with Keenan Allen, Mike Williams, and Donald Parham out of the lineup, especially once tight end Gerald Everett left with a groin injury in the second quarter. He saw a whopping 12 targets on 35 Justin Herbert pass attempts as both the primary running back and primary pass-catcher, but the unrelenting pressure and ability to pursue the ball from the 49ers defense held him to just 63 combined yards on 18 opportunities. Consider Ekeler a locked-in RB1 as the Chargers host the division rival, and AFC-leading, Chiefs in Week 11.
Nov 13, 2022, 11:41 PM ET

Austin Ekeler rushed 10 times for 35 yards in the Chargers' Week 13 loss to the Raiders, adding five receptions for 67 additional yards.​

Ekeler's lost fumble turned into instant regret, as the Raiders followed up the fumble recovery with a 31-yard touchdown pass to Davante Adams on the ensuing play. From a fantasy perspective, had a solid enough day, but the Chargers' offensive struggles resulted in just three offensive plays being run in the Raiders' red zone, making touchdowns hard to come by all afternoon. As a dual threat out of the backfield, Ekeler remains a high-end RB1 in Week 13 against the Dolphins in a game that should feature plenty of scoring opportunities.
Dec 4, 2022, 8:27 PM ET

Users who are viewing this thread