What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

RB Brian Robinson Jr. - WAS (1 Viewer)

Has there ever been an athlete who’s been shot and then afterward played football in the NFL? I ask because I honestly don’t know, but I’ve never heard of one. If it happens (and I certainly hope that it does) it would be quite remarkable, no?

Has there ever been an athlete who’s been shot and then afterward played football in the NFL? I ask because I honestly don’t know, but I’ve never heard of one. If it happens (and I certainly hope that it does) it would be quite remarkable, no?
Plaxico Burress was healthy enough to play again pretty quickly after accidentally shooting himself while in a nightclub, but was suspended and then went to jail for a while. He did play again after he was released.

Plaxico Burress comes to mind. Maybe Aqib Talib, as well?

is the caliber of gun and bullet type known ?

if it was a solid bullet and a smaller caliber, way less damage

if it was a 10mm and a self defense round .... the damage would have been much more

since he's released I'm thinking small caliber and solid bullet and not much damage (relatively speaking)
I think 9mm is a safe guess. Isnt that what gangsters carry around these days?

Plaxico Burress shot himself in the leg.

Getting shot isn't a huge deal when it's just the legs. We're thinking about our builds.

This guy is an NFL RB his glute is the size of a washing machine. Sounds like he got shot running away.

If you could pick where you would want to be shot, it would be where this guy was. No vital organs, tendons, etc.

This will be closer to a "player x got stabbed with a knife" recovery than a tramautic "player x got shot" recovery.

This will 100% be one of those things that will make his teammates and coaches root for him more.

What makes 50 Cent cool? He's bulletproof. Just another chip on his shoulder.

I guess I'm just thinking about muscle and nerve damage. I have meralgia parasthetica and it can be a real ******* at times with the whole top outside of my left leg burning and feeling like someone is digging around in there with a knife. This is just from a nerve being pinched. Can't imagine the nerve damage a bullet causes in the right spot. Especially in the leg of a running back.

I guess I'm just thinking about muscle and nerve damage. I have meralgia parasthetica and it can be a real ******* at times with the whole top outside of my left leg burning and feeling like someone is digging around in there with a knife. This is just from a nerve being pinched. Can't imagine the nerve damage a bullet causes in the right spot. Especially in the leg of a running back.
He was out of the hospital in one day, which seems to indicate that it was nothing more than flash wounds. Admittedly I have no real medical basis, but it seems logical.

He was out of the hospital in one day, which seems to indicate that it was nothing more than flash wounds. Admittedly I have no real medical basis, but it seems logical.
Agree 100%

Apparently he was shot in the knee but somehow missed all the vital ligaments. Dude is lucky on top of lucky. Hopefully he comes back from this.

It really doesn't even seem possible if you look at and feel around your knee - how were no bones even hit? Amazing.
yeah, I don't understand that. How do you go through a knee without hitting a bone?

Apparently he was shot in the knee but somehow missed all the vital ligaments. Dude is lucky on top of lucky. Hopefully he comes back from this.

It really doesn't even seem possible if you look at and feel around your knee - how were no bones even hit? Amazing.
yeah, I don't understand that. How do you go through a knee without hitting a bone?

Not sure I agree with this. If he's ready to go let him roll.

the last thing a competitor wants to do is watch from the sidelines...Rivera is a former player, Robinson is suiting up ASAP IMHO.
Woah Woah Woah...the man was just victimized and violently attacked where he could have lost his life, I'm not trying to be overly sensitive here but doctors say he can maybe play this season, doesn't sound like Week 1 and I wouldn't be comfortable as a Front Office Senior Exec allowing him out so quickly after something like this.

Let's remember https://www.espn.com/nfl/news/story?id=1606709

Joey was out for how long? I don't seem to recall and his injuries in the butt might have been more serious.

Porter came back Sept 21 from an Aug 31st shooting in Denver
bump for MOP...care to revise your take? "whoa, whoa, whoa"

Last edited:
He is on crutches but I don't think anyone thought he was already running around or anything. Still good news though. Should learn more over the next few days I'd imagine.

the last thing a competitor wants to do is watch from the sidelines...Rivera is a former player, Robinson is suiting up ASAP IMHO.
Woah Woah Woah...the man was just victimized and violently attacked where he could have lost his life, I'm not trying to be overly sensitive here but doctors say he can maybe play this season, doesn't sound like Week 1 and I wouldn't be comfortable as a Front Office Senior Exec allowing him out so quickly after something like this.

Joey was out for how long? I don't seem to recall and his injuries in the butt might have been more serious.

bump for MOP...care to revise your take?
Gunshots are just like Achilles - not the injury they once were.

But seriously, the guy was just shot 2 days ago - you think he will be back in full pads by sunrise? I get he was in the facility, but that doesn't necessarily tell much of the story. I'd say he still misses the opener but anything is pure speculation.

I'm amazed at the optimism on a quick recovery and playing time here. This isn't a movie where a guy gets shot, someone puts a stick in his mouth and pulls out the bullet, and then cauterizes the wound with a hot knife. Then he's back running around in 30 minutes like nothings wrong. How much muscle and nerve damage can bullets cause? I'd be surprised if he plays this year. RBs tend to rely on their lower extremities, including the buttocks, no?
It all depends on the wound. Smaller caliber and/or non-hollow point rounds can be pretty minimal damage and that doesn't account for the angle of impact. If there were no major nerves or arteries bisected that bodes even better. I don't think we've seen any details like this. I took a 22 in the hamstring as a younger idiot and didn't even tell my parents, played in a soccer game that weekend. Thought I was slick and got away with it until the swim meet that weekend and my Speedo betrayed me.

is the caliber of gun and bullet type known ?

if it was a solid bullet and a smaller caliber, way less damage

if it was a 10mm and a self defense round .... the damage would have been much more

since he's released I'm thinking small caliber and solid bullet and not much damage (relatively speaking)
I think 9mm is a safe guess. Isnt that what gangsters carry around these days?
Two dudes got disarmed/chased off of a carjacking by one guy. No gangstas here.

Rivera talks Robinson on the 53

That immediate choice signaled that, despite the trauma, the third-round rookie and likely lead running back has a chance to play during the season’s opening month. Placing Robinson on the non-football injury list would require a minimum four-game absence. That could still happen before the regular-season opener, depending on what team doctors tell Rivera. For now, Robinson stays.

“It gives us a little bit of time,” Rivera said of keeping Robinson on the active roster. “(Robinson is) going to be re-examined by the doctors. They’ll continue to look at him. … We are looking for a timeline. Anything close to a certain situation, we will do one thing. Close to another situation, we will do something else. That was the whole idea of having him on the 53.”

Rivera talks Robinson on the 53

That immediate choice signaled that, despite the trauma, the third-round rookie and likely lead running back has a chance to play during the season’s opening month. Placing Robinson on the non-football injury list would require a minimum four-game absence. That could still happen before the regular-season opener, depending on what team doctors tell Rivera. For now, Robinson stays.

“It gives us a little bit of time,” Rivera said of keeping Robinson on the active roster. “(Robinson is) going to be re-examined by the doctors. They’ll continue to look at him. … We are looking for a timeline. Anything close to a certain situation, we will do one thing. Close to another situation, we will do something else. That was the whole idea of having him on the 53.”
Interesting. Sounds like they're probably expecting to the doctors to say around a month (meaning they'll keep him off IR), or closer to 2 months where they'll have him out the first 4 games.

bump for MOP...care to revise your take? "whoa, whoa, whoa"

"“Initially when you hear something like that, you worry about the guy living, and then you worry about his health long term, and then you worry about his ability to play football."

-I don' think I need to revise my statement at all

In general I enjoy your posts, on this particular issue we don't quite have the same POV. When he's cleared and ready, turn him loose but it sounds like they are going to be cautious.

-Washington has no timeline, that's from the article. Robinson's mental well being is mentioned as a priority by the team in their evaluation of when he can return. I think those are good things.

Commanders place Brian Robinson on the reserve/non-football injury list.​

The move guarantees that Robinson will miss the first four weeks of the season, but gives him a chance of being ready for Week 5. As NFL Network's Ian Rapoport notes, this is an incredible outcome for Robinson, given that he was shot twice less than a week ago. Robinson could miss well over four games; his return timeline is still very much up in the air. Still, the fact that Washington kept him on the active roster until after final cuts indicates that he'll take the field at some point this season.

No IR spots in my main league.

It’s going to suck if I have to drop him for a kicker before the season starts. This story is so cool if he plays, and makes it even harder to think about dropping him.

I’m currently streaming two late tight ends, that haven’t even showed anything, so I guess I’ll just move on from that strategy and hang in there.

No IR spots in my main league.

It’s going to suck if I have to drop him for a kicker before the season starts. This story is so cool if he plays, and makes it even harder to think about dropping him.

I’m currently streaming two late tight ends, that haven’t even showed anything, so I guess I’ll just move on from that strategy and hang in there.
I’d just go with one TE until Robinson comes back. It looked like he was in line for decent volume before this happened.

Commanders head coach Ron Rivera said Brian Robinson is off crutches.​

Rivera said swelling in Robinson's lower body after being shot twice on August 28 has gone down "an awful lot" in recent days. Washington placed Robinson on the reserve/non-football injury list, guaranteeing the rookie will be sidelined for the regular season's first four weeks. Robinson was likely to operate as the team's primary early-down ball carrier before the shooting; he could regain that role when he's back to full health. In the meantime, Antonio Gibson profiles as an RB2 based on volume alone. Robinson should be rostered by managers without a strong RB2 option.
RELATED:
SOURCE: Nicki Jhabvala on Twitter
Sep 7, 2022, 10:15 AM ET

Users who are viewing this thread