What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

RB Cam Akers, MIN (2 Viewers)

I believe McVay just doesn’t trust Henderson as a lead back for some reason.  No idea why but it certainly looks that way.  The Rams made a point after the draft about Akers being a guy “who can do everything and grow into an every down back”.  I think that is what they envisioned for him when they drafted him and now he’s finally healthy and they finally trust him in pass pro and other aspects to let him take the lead. 

it definitely does look that way. henderson's highest snaps share is 56%. 

as to why that is, i would look back at henderson's prospect profile. he profiled as a change of pace back. he is also a bit light at 208 pounds and, i know it might not be objective, but for my money, he doesn't create nearly as well as akers. he hits the hole hard, no doubt, but i haven't see many instances of him setting things up on the next level or breaking tackles.

correct me if i'm wrong, but akers already has the 3 longest runs of the rams season with a much lighter workload, right? considering henderson's speed, that is probably telling.

henderson has had some nice games but i think it's pretty rational for mcvay to limit his touches and prefer akers when it comes to a heavy load.

it definitely does look that way. henderson's highest snaps share is 56%. 

as to why that is, i would look back at henderson's prospect profile. he profiled as a change of pace back. he is also a bit light at 208 pounds and, i know it might not be objective, but for my money, he doesn't create nearly as well as akers. he hits the hole hard, no doubt, but i haven't see many instances of him setting things up on the next level or breaking tackles.

correct me if i'm wrong, but akers already has the 3 longest runs of the rams season with a much lighter workload, right? considering henderson's speed, that is probably telling.

henderson has had some nice games but i think it's pretty rational for mcvay to limit his touches and prefer akers when it comes to a heavy load.
I agree.  When I watch Henderson I see a “frenetic” runner.  He reminds me of the Tasmania devil.  It’s probably why he gives the impression of being so fast.  But with that frenetic style, he misses things because he plays out of control.  Sure, if the hole is there, he’s going to hit it hard and be gone. But if he has to create (as you mentioned above), he can’t do it and runs up the backs of his linemen.

Akers on the other hand actually looks significantly slower.  Whether he’s setting up his blocks, or he runs with hesitation like L Bell, or he’s just so smooth that his speed is deceptive, I’m not sure yet.  Or maybe he just plays slower in pads?

Interestingly, Henderson ran a 4.49 40 at the combine while Akers ran a 4.47 40 at the combine... So in shorts, they have almost the same speed. 

While it's difficult to trust Rams HC McVay and his desire for RBBC, is anyone taking a gamble to start Akers vs. Jets on week 15?  

Not me, I am starting Miles Sanders and Mostert over Akers.
This may change your mind....

Raheem Mostert (ankle) had an MRI on Monday.

The 49ers are awaiting the results, but the fact that he needed one is not a great sign. Mostert has been sidelined with a knee sprain and high-ankle sprain this season. His practice reports will be the biggest indicator of what his chances are of suiting up for Week 15. Jeff Wilson would be the best bet on early downs if Mostert can't play.

This may change your mind....

Raheem Mostert (ankle) had an MRI on Monday.

The 49ers are awaiting the results, but the fact that he needed one is not a great sign. Mostert has been sidelined with a knee sprain and high-ankle sprain this season. His practice reports will be the biggest indicator of what his chances are of suiting up for Week 15. Jeff Wilson would be the best bet on early downs if Mostert can't play.
Shocking development.

Week 3 when he ran for over 100 yards and even scored, finished only 2 fantasy points behind Akers great game.

So, I think you saw it but you just are on you giddy high cuz Akers finally showed something in week 14. 

Thats all this is, Akers had a great game and per usual everyone is out acting like he does it every week when he hasnt done it until Week 13 and 14. Now he is a stud? OK, go take him in the first next year, thats how this thread is hyping him. Akers looks good, but he is a Rams RB, this is still going to be a mess, with him looking to get the edge. 

What shocks me is with all we know about McVay and Rams RBs, you guys are this excited about one. Not that Akers isnt good, its everyones over reaction to his one game and some saying they rather have him over Zeke. Come on.
This is fantasy football. Two basic concepts 1)what have you done for me lately and 2) opportunity is the game within fantasy football

Maybe he hasn't done it up until Weeks 13 and 14. But guess what? He DID do it in weeks 13 and 14. The two most recent games. 

I also disagree with this "McVay and his RB's" discussion. He's had to platoon RB's because none of them have stood out. Look back to when Gurley was Gurley. Was there any sort of RBBC then? Absolutely not. Akers carried the Rams on his back last week. McVay had him finish the game. There is no looking back in my opinion. He's the guy going forward. 

And yeah,  I would take him over Zeke. The Rams having something to play for. The Cowboys suck. 

Week 3 when he ran for over 100 yards and even scored, finished only 2 fantasy points behind Akers great game.

So, I think you saw it but you just are on you giddy high cuz Akers finally showed something in week 14. 

Thats all this is, Akers had a great game and per usual everyone is out acting like he does it every week when he hasnt done it until Week 13 and 14. Now he is a stud? OK, go take him in the first next year, thats how this thread is hyping him. Akers looks good, but he is a Rams RB, this is still going to be a mess, with him looking to get the edge. 

What shocks me is with all we know about McVay and Rams RBs, you guys are this excited about one. Not that Akers isnt good, its everyones over reaction to his one game and some saying they rather have him over Zeke. Come on.
The giddy part is the part where he dominated touches and has been doing so over the last couple of games.  That is the part that is important.  It's reinforcement that he is doing something with those opportunities but Henderson never had the market share of touches early in the season.  Akers appears to be McVay's guy and as we have seen with Gurley, McVay's guy gets the ball a lot.  That is the difference and why people are starting to jump on the Akers bandwagon.  

This is fantasy football. Two basic concepts 1)what have you done for me lately and 2) opportunity is the game within fantasy football

Maybe he hasn't done it up until Weeks 13 and 14. But guess what? He DID do it in weeks 13 and 14. The two most recent games. 

I also disagree with this "McVay and his RB's" discussion. He's had to platoon RB's because none of them have stood out. Look back to when Gurley was Gurley. Was there any sort of RBBC then? Absolutely not. Akers carried the Rams on his back last week. McVay had him finish the game. There is no looking back in my opinion. He's the guy going forward. 

And yeah,  I would take him over Zeke. The Rams having something to play for. The Cowboys suck. 
McVay made a comment about San Fran's running back committee, and a lot of people took it out of context, and didn't include the full quote which made it sound like he preferred a committee approach. The full quote was to the effect that he was going to employ a San Fran type of approach until it worked itself out. Well, it looks like it might have worked itself out.

I will likely start Akers over Josh Jacobs this week in the semi-finals. Jacobs hasn't had a big game in quite a while (yes, he was injured, but even before that and last week were underwhelming). And I like the matchup against the Jets. He has the opportunity to be the bell cow again this week.

Akers and one of Drake, Swift, or Mike Davis (CMC) for me. He's going to feast this weekend. Zero reservations.

Last edited by a moderator:
Cam Akers rushed 15 times for 63 yards in the Rams' Week 15 loss to the Jets. 

Akers "added" one catch for -1 yards. A can't miss smash spot became a house of horrors for Akers as the Rams' passing attack was stuck in neutral as the running back suffered an early ankle tweak. Akers returned after missing only one series, but game flow got away from the Rams as they dug a 13-0 hole after 22:30 of game play. Akers was thankfully able to get in rhythm as the lead back in the second half, but he lost 50 yards and a touchdown to penalties. In fairness, Akers' 18-yard score would not have happened without what was a rather obvious holding call. The good news is, this remained a one-man backfield besides 1-2 Malcolm Brown third downs. Even with Akers' brief absence, Brown and Darrell Henderson combined for four touches. Fantasy managers will have to return to the low-end RB1 well for Week 16 against the Seahawks.

- Rotoworld

High Ankle Sprain. OUT for week 16.
Rotoworld:

Coach Sean McVay said Cam Akers will miss at least Week 16 against the Seahawks with a high-ankle sprain.

McVay stressed "at least" Week 16, so it's probably a good bet Akers is done for the regular season. Akers had to hobble off in the first half of the stunning Week 15 loss to the Jets but somehow was able to return. The adrenaline has worn off now, however, and Akers won't be available for the fantasy finals. The Rams will likely install Darrell Henderson as their 1A back against Seattle with Malcolm Brown very involved as the 1B. Henderson needs to be added where he was dropped.

RELATED: 

Darrell Henderson

, Malcolm Brown

SOURCE: Lindsey Thiry on Twitter

Dec 21, 2020, 8:31 PM ET

Cam Akers remained sidelined Wednesday with a high-ankle sprain.

Akers missed Week 16 after securing the team's lead back duties, a role that might now fall to Malcolm Brown with Darrell Henderson also dealing with an injury. The Rams likely will be without their top quarterback, one of their lead wide receivers, and their best ball carrier in a win-and-in game.

Dec 30, 2020, 11:24 PM ET

ESPN's Adam Schefter reports Rams RB Cam Akers (ankle) "is likely to try to play today against the Cardinals" in Week 17.

This doesn't guarantee that Akers will play but it does paint an optimistic picture after the rookie missed Week 16 with a high-ankle sprain. Akers got in a limited practice on Friday after being sidelined throughout the week before if Akers does suit up, he would be a high-end RB2 option only limited by his health and the presence of John Wolford under center. If he can't go, Malcolm Brown will be the lead back and would have a middle to low-end RB2 outlook. 

SOURCE: Adam Schefter on Twitter

Jan 3, 2021, 8:03 AM ET

Cam Akers rushed 21 times for 34 yards in the Rams' Week 17 win over the Cardinals.

He caught all four of his targets for a team-high 52 receiving yards. Playing through a high-ankle sprain suffered in Week 15, it was gutsy on Akers' part just to be out there after the Rams lost Darrell Henderson (ankle) to I.R. last week. The 21 carries were actually surprising. Akers' only real mistake was a lost fumble at the goal line that Arizona recovered in the end zone, but it did lead to a Rams safety a couple plays later. Akers will look to carry the mail next week in the Wild Card round of the playoffs for L.A., assuming he avoided any setbacks with the ankle.

- Rotoworld

Cam Akers doesn't have an injury designation going into this weekend's game against Seattle. 

Akers handled a hefty workload last week in his return from an ankle injury that sidelined him in Week 16. He had 25 touches against the Cardinals, while Malcolm Brown saw three carries and one target. Darrell Henderson (ankle) on IR means Akers is in for another starter's workload against Seattle. His potential volume isn't fully baked into his DFS price points in what is otherwise not a great running back matchup. 

RELATED: 

Malcolm Brown

Jan 7, 2021, 4:20 PM ET

Thoughts on him going forward in dynasty?

Seems like a solid buy low with the uncertainty surrounding the backfield.  But he's had awesome volume.  I think the talent should shine through next season.  

QB situation is iffy.  

Seems like a solid buy low with the uncertainty surrounding the backfield.  But he's had awesome volume.  I think the talent should shine through next season.  

QB situation is iffy.  
I echo your thoughts here. The volume is very encouraging. Especially 3rd down work. I will be looking at a choice between Akers, N Harris, and T Etienne. Not sure which way I’m leaning right now. 

QB situation is iffy.  
The outlook for him looks good especially if he plays well in the playoffs, that will give the coaches more confidence in him.

At the same time I would not rule out the possibility that Les Snead takes another RB in the 2021 draft. If they don't take one high then it should be pretty smooth sailing for Akers. The Rams have shown they don't trust Henderson to be that player for them by picking Akers and how they have used them. Its not the time share with Akers the way it was with Henderson.

It seems unlikely and maybe even poor resource management for the Rams to take another RB with a high pick again, but Les Snead does have a track record of doing so.

The outlook for him looks good especially if he plays well in the playoffs, that will give the coaches more confidence in him.

At the same time I would not rule out the possibility that Les Snead takes another RB in the 2021 draft. If they don't take one high then it should be pretty smooth sailing for Akers. The Rams have shown they don't trust Henderson to be that player for them by picking Akers and how they have used them. Its not the time share with Akers the way it was with Henderson.

It seems unlikely and maybe even poor resource management for the Rams to take another RB with a high pick again, but Les Snead does have a track record of doing so.
He going to get Tre Mason’ed? Don’t you put that evil on him Ricky Bobby

Is there something I don't know about Akers? His owner in PPR dynasty just asked me for my 2021 1st, CEH & Aiyuk for him. LOL

He going to get Tre Mason’ed? Don’t you put that evil on him Ricky Bobby
It's been more than Tre Mason replaced under Sneads direction. If the Rams dont draft a RB in the first 3 rounds it will be the first time they haven't in many years.

Akers has played well though so maybe they wont.

Cam Akers rushed 28 times for 131 yards and a touchdown in the Rams' Wild Card win over the Seahawks, adding two receptions for 45 additional yards. 

Akers supposedly suffered a high-ankle sprain in Week 15, but he was surprisingly left off the final injury report on Thursday, suggesting 100 percent health for the playoffs. That indeed appeared to be the case, as Akers was the best offensive player in an ugly slugfest where both passing games were completely inept. Running with Peterson-ian power, Akers' ankle was not hindering him going side to side. With Jared Goff (thumb) still nowhere close to 100 percent healthy, Akers — who has cleared 170 yards from scrimmage twice in his past four games — will undoubtedly remain the Rams' offensive engine for the Divisional Round.  

Jan 9, 2021, 8:29 PM ET

What impressed me besides his rushing output was his impressive blitz pickups. That is HUGE for a young RB. The sky is the limit for Akers in the McVay offense. 

Cam Akers rushed 18 times for 90 yards and a touchdown in the Rams' Divisional Round loss to Green Bay.

Akers actually opened the year as Los Angeles' starter but suffered a drastic rib injury in Week 2 and failed to get up to speed behind Darrell Henderson until December, rushing for 201 yards and zero touchdowns through his first eight career games. That all changed following Akers' 61-yard run for an otherwise flaccid offense in Week 12, forcing coach Sean McVay to hand over the reins and allow the rookie to run for 141/645/4, 20.1 carries per game, and 5.2 yards per touch across his last seven performances. With Malcolm Brown unlikely to be brought back in free agency, Akers will arguably open the summer as a top-seven running back and second-round selection for 2021 fantasy drafts.

Jan 16, 2021, 8:48 PM ET

I've had him as my dynasty RB5 for about 2 weeks now, tempted to move him up to 4 but there's no way I can justify it. 

He is looking really good. I guess the last few games puts to rest the idea that McVay likes to use RBBC?

Stafford gonna open rushing lanes for Akers and add vertical dimension to Rams.  IMHO, Stafford is highly underrated and will maximize McVay's offensive play-calling. 

I'm definitely more on Akers now as he should have more scoring opportunities. He may get less carries overall since he won't be needed as much to prop the QB, but they should be higher quality.

The trade means the Rams wont have a 1st round pick to take a better RB than Akers for the next 3 seasons. I was only slightly worried about this because of Sneads history but he doesn't even have that option anymore.

The trade means the Rams wont have a 1st round pick to take a better RB than Akers for the next 3 seasons. I was only slightly worried about this because of Sneads history but he doesn't even have that option anymore.
This was exactly my first thought about Akers. Seems like this solidified him as their franchise back for a bit.

Stafford gonna open rushing lanes for Akers
Akers is a stud who will do fine but since Stafford entered the league Lions are dead last in the league in RB rushing totals trailing the next team by a fat 600 yards. Seems like a stretch to say the least to say that's the guy who is going to open up rushing lanes for Akers.

Users who are viewing this thread