What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

RB D’Andre Swift, CHI (7 Viewers)

23 snaps for 38%. looks to be back in patricia's okay graces after last week's benching.

he's up to 124 yards on 16 targets...  that's pretty sexy.

i can't wait for them to turn this guy loose.

Last edited by a moderator:
DON'T GIVE UP ON D'ANDRE SWIFT

Excerpt:

D’Andre Swift (DET) at Jaguars 

Swift was largely written off -- including by this analyst -- when he played a comically low six offensive snaps in Week 3. The rookie then played 23 snaps in Week 4 against the Saints, running 15 pass routes, and catching all four of his targets for 30 yards and a touchdown. Not quite a monster week for Swift, his Week 4 usage was encouraging to those who thought he might be buried behind Adrian Peterson and Kerryon Johnson all year. 

The Lions get the Jaguars and their Swiss cheese defense this week in a game featuring one of Week 6’s highest over/unders (54, after starting the week at 52.5 points). Jacksonville’s defense is being shredded by pretty much every position, including running backs in the passing game: 22 percent of targets against the Jags this season have gone to backs. Colts running backs in Week 1 combined for a mind boggling 17 catches against the Jaguars; Dolphins running backs caught six balls in Week 3; and Joe Mixon caught six or six targets against them in Week 4. David Johnson and Duke Johnson combined for five targets against the Jaguars last week. 

If he retains the Lions’ primary route running duties out of the backfield in Week 6, Swift will see coverage from some of the worst cover linebackers in the NFL. Myles Jack, who missed Week 5, has been targeted 17 times, allowing 13 receptions, 156 yards, and a touchdown. Jaguars linebacker Joe Schobert, meanwhile, has allowed 17 catches on 17 targets this season for 243 yards. The team’s other linebackers have struggled covering opposing tight ends and running backs too. The shifty Swift should have little issue burning these guys -- if given the chance. 

Running back-needy fantasy managers in deeper formats would do well to consider Swift as a flex play in Week 6, in hopes he once again leads the Lions in running back pass routes and targets in a fantastic game environment. 

D'Andre Swift rushed 14 times for 116 yards and two touchdowns in the Lions' Week 6 win over the Jaguars, adding three receptions for seven additional yards. 

Every mark was a new season high on the ground. Swift's 14 carries more than doubled his previous season total. His first touchdown was a one-yarder early in the second quarter he was allowed to punch in after failing on two previous goal-line carries. His second was a six-yarder early in the fourth. The big play was a 54-yard rumble in the first quarter where Swift was essentially untouched through a huge hole on the right side of Detroit's line. This is what Swift's fantasy managers have been waiting for all season, though Adrian Peterson remained involved for a team-leading 15 carries, one of which he converted for a score. Either way, with Swift finally demonstrating some upside on all three downs, he is now a safe FLEX option. He will be a top-30, and arguably top-24, back for Week 7 vs. a Falcons defense that coughs up one running back reception after another. 

Oct 18, 2020, 4:06 PM ET

Started him out of necessity in one league with several injuries/byes and he absolutely won me my week.  So glad to finally see some life out of this dude, of course now I’ll contemplate him as a flex option every week lol

Swift is the most talented RB in this class. I didn't downgrade him on his situation (going to Detroit), although, I didn't put it above par, either. I graded it neutral. With a better HC, I would've graded it above par, but Patricia will be gone soon enough I suppose.

Patricia is one of those guys who's a lot dumber than he thinks he is so we'll see if this is enough to make Swift the feature back.

Watched the whole game. He looked really good and our line is beginning to open up some lanes this season as well. He looked strong and shifty, a proper all round back. Peterson isn’t going away, but it’s looking up 

Swift is the most talented RB in this class. I didn't downgrade him on his situation (going to Detroit), although, I didn't put it above par, either. I graded it neutral. With a better HC, I would've graded it above par, but Patricia will be gone soon enough I suppose.

Patricia is one of those guys who's a lot dumber than he thinks he is so we'll see if this is enough to make Swift the feature back.
There is nothing wrong with AD being part of the game script but any competent coach should be getting their highly drafted RB at least 15 touches per game which I think will be the case moving forward.

IIRC, many mocks had Swift rather than CEH going to KC.

I assume that his preseason injury and the addition of Peterson helped him slip after the other rookie RBs in many FF drafts. Too early to tell how all these guys turn out relative to each other, but if yesterday is a harbinger of things to come, Swift may turn out to be a value pick.

IIRC, many mocks had Swift rather than CEH going to KC.

I assume that his preseason injury and the addition of Peterson helped him slip after the other rookie RBs in many FF drafts. Too early to tell how all these guys turn out relative to each other, but if yesterday is a harbinger of things to come, Swift may turn out to be a value pick.
I was really surprised Swift wasn't the first RB off the board. I had him first as far as straight talent, but CEH landing in KC nudged him ahead (I had Swift 2).

At this point, I think Swift has to be the #1-ranked RB from this class.

I was really surprised Swift wasn't the first RB off the board. I had him first as far as straight talent, but CEH landing in KC nudged him ahead (I had Swift 2).

At this point, I think Swift has to be the #1-ranked RB from this class.
CEH going before Swift in the NFL draft is actually quite perplexing 

I thought Swift was a perfect fit for KC, but I don't guess they saw it that way.
He really was. I can see how they saw CEH has a good fit as well, but not for that draft capital. CEH’s size probably always meant he was destined as a role player in a RBBC and not a bell cow. 

He really was. I can see how they saw CEH has a good fit as well, but not for that draft capital. CEH’s size probably always meant he was destined as a role player in a RBBC and not a bell cow. 
We'll see. I think CEH could still be a long-term FF stud, but man, I don't understand KC passing on Swift.

I thought Swift was a perfect fit for KC, but I don't guess they saw it that way.
Hard to argue with KC's evaluation of talent, particularly at the RB position, but they may have whiffed on this one seeing CEH as the better fit. And signing Bell may have been affirmation.

Still too early to tell though.

Hard to argue with KC's evaluation of talent, particularly at the RB position, but they may have whiffed on this one seeing CEH as the better fit. And signing Bell may have been affirmation.

Yeah, too early.

It'll be interesting to see how it shakes out (long-term).

We'll see. I think CEH could still be a long-term FF stud, but man, I don't understand KC passing on Swift.
I think he could be as well but it’s because of the KC offense and role he could fill. I don’t think even the most ardent CEH supporter thinks he can be a bell cow like Zeke or Saquon which imo means he’s never worth a 1st round pick. 

I think he could be as well but it’s because of the KC offense and role he could fill. I don’t think even the most ardent CEH supporter thinks he can be a bell cow like Zeke or Saquon which imo means he’s never worth a 1st round pick. 
I wouldn't go that far. Their OL could be better.

CEH has a lot of things going for him, but you're right, there's a chance he could way underperform his initial consensus evaluation (long-term).  That said, it wouldn't surprise me if he lights it up next season.

With the 1 spot on the WW list, I am ready to board this train.   I don’t recall ever having a productive Detroit RB on a FF team but it’s time for a desperate move.   

Seems like a good bet to make a big impact in FF the 2nd half of the season with 10-15 carries and 3-4 catches with DET down in the 4Q most weeks.

zamboni said:

To be fair, lions also sent mixed signals with the signing of AP after spending the 35th pick on Swift. And as you kinda said KC has a better recent history than the lions.

I also thought I was being swift dumping him for a live body going into his bye week. Live and learn, even bye weeks aren't safe for rbs with upside.
I actually thought I would be "swift" and pick him back up heading in to his bye week... hoping he would fly under the radar, but another team outbid me.

Week 6 fantasy football care/don't care: Rams offense needs a star — and it’s probably Darrell Henderson

Excerpt:

D’Andre Swift gets involved

In an alternate universe, the Detroit Lions of 2020 have deployed an electric dual-threat running back slashing through opposing defenses to complement a strong vertical passing game for 16 games. The vision was thwarted in this version of reality by rookie D’Andre Swift’s offseason knee injury. If Swift never gets hurt in camp, the team probably never signs Adrian Peterson. 

It’s just a pet theory but it appears like Peterson’s presence on a roster just incentivizes bad coaches to skew conservative with their offense. He can’t play in the passing game and when he’s your primary back, you’re forced to adjust to him. And that’s never good. It has certainly been the case with the real 2020 Lions. The run game is maybe three yards and a cloud of dust while Matthew Stafford has dropped to 22nd in completed air yards (coming into Week 6) after leading the NFL in his starts last year. It’s just ultra stale. 

We got a look into that alternate universe on Sunday as Swift led the Lions’ running backs in snaps (28), touched the ball 18 times, and ran for 116 yards at an 8.3-yard clip with two touchdowns. Peterson was still involved, including a goal-line slam that resulted in the first score of the game. But it was clear the backfield was more explosive with Swift leading the way.

You wonder, though, if the Lions looked in the mirror and came to some of the above realizations over their bye week, and whether we witnessed a sea change here in Week 6. 

All the positive words on Swift are nice but it is still Detroit.  They don’t like to get good players involved.  Hockenson is still underutilized.  Will Swift be treated the same way?
I don't believe that Peterson is going away, but Swift should be a quality piece all year.

NFL Network's Ian Rapoport reports Lions RB D'Andre Swift will "have an expanded role" within the Lions offense in Week 7 against the Falcons.

Rapoport added that Adrian Peterson will still be named as the starter for Detroit. The report doesn't anoint Swift a three-down back but it does improve his outlook for Week 7. Peterson out-carried Swift 15 to 14 in Week 6 but could see his role scaled back as the season moves along. Swift should have no problem taking advantage of the Falcons defense this week. Atlanta has given up 46 receptions to running backs this year.

SOURCE: Ian Rapoport on Twitter

Oct 25, 2020, 9:38 AM ET

Swift was the #1 non QB in all 3 formats prior to the combine in this poll CEH is coming in at player 11.

Post combine Swift still the #1 in the PPR poll but Johnathan Taylor ahead of him in the standard scoring poll. Inexplicably Taylor wins the TE premium poll too which should be the same as the PPR poll. Very close between these two. CEH is going at player 7.

Post NFL draft of course CEH the top RB pick and went to KC so he vaults to top of everyones rankings.

I know Bloom really liked CEH and he was perhaps ahead of the curve on this or else he was lucky. I did not hear many people touting CEH as the best RB of the 2020 draft class before the NFL draft. I just happen to know that Bloom took CEH 1st in some spurts draft because of this other guy bashing the pick on his podcast that I was listening to at the time.

I don't think one should under estimate the stupidity of Matt Patricia and the confusing nonsensical use of multiple RB he learned from Emperor Palpatine in NE. For me that dropped Swift from tier one to tier two.

Thoughts on Swift vs Indy Def this week?
The Colts are a very good defense this year. They are in the top 3 in several important categories like points allowed, rushing yards allowed, 1st in passing yards allowed and first in total yards per attempt. They are 5th in fantasy points allowed to RB this season.

Its not a good match up.

I don't think one should under estimate the stupidity of Matt Patricia and the confusing nonsensical use of multiple RB he learned from Emperor Palpatine in NE. For me that dropped Swift from tier one to tier two.
I remember him saying that “analytics” favor RBBC - and I’d bet a paycheck he’s misreading the data. I absolutely think it makes football sense to split the RB touches in the abstract, but production should also drive those ratios. Patricia is killing me as a Swift owner. 

I remember him saying that “analytics” favor RBBC - and I’d bet a paycheck he’s misreading the data. I absolutely think it makes football sense to split the RB touches in the abstract, but production should also drive those ratios. Patricia is killing me as a Swift owner. 
Me too.

Even though I didn't rank Swift very high post NFL draft I ended up with him on a ton of teams. I wasn't the only one downgrading him because of the fit.

Yeah in hindsight we should have probably paid more attention to Patricia's background with the Patriots.  They are always one of the best teams at running the ball and they almost always use a committee.  

That said,  I do think he is better off not being a bell cow type of back.  I just don't know if his body can handle it.  We have to hope quality over quantity and it seems to be trending in that direction since Golladay came back.  His production the last few weeks is probably going to be what we hope to get from him. 

D'Andre Swift rushed six times for one yard and caught 3-of-4 targets for 22 yards in Week 8 against the Colts.

The Lions abandoned the run in the first half, leaving Swift and Adrian Peterson to combine for 11 carries. Swift finished with the touch-edge but this wasn't an encouraging game. Kerryon Johnson continues to play in pass situations and vultured a nine-yard touchdown pass from Matthew Stafford. Swift should have better days, but he'll carry a low floor for his Week 9 matchup with the Vikings.

- Rotoworld

D'Andre Swift rushed 13 times for 64 yards in the Lions' Week 9 loss to the Vikings.

He added three catches for 33 yards on five targets in the pass game. Swift's 13 carries were his second-most of the season and easily led the team on a day the Lions played in catch-up mode most of the afternoon. The rookie is Detroit's preferred back when trailing. But this remains a three-man backfield and will keep Swift from truly emerging as a reliable fantasy asset until one of Kerryon Johnson or Adrian Peterson is eliminated. Swift will be an RB3/FLEX next week against Washington.

- Rotoworld

Users who are viewing this thread