What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

RB D’Andre Swift, CHI (2 Viewers)

Concept Coop said:
Do you have the link by chance? I’m shocked he was cleared if this is accurate.
I may have jumped the gun on assuming the migraines were associated with the concussion. It's easy to speculate, I did and a Lions beat writer I follow assumed it was related to his concussion but no one has affirmed that. I still think it's likely, but no one from the Lions is saying they are related.

Men also tend to manifest migraines and cluster headaches around his age in general. It may be just be coincidence.

I may have jumped the gun on assuming the migraines were associated with the concussion. It's easy to speculate, I did and a Lions beat writer I follow assumed it was related to his concussion but no one has affirmed that. I still think it's likely, but no one from the Lions is saying they are related.
If he has a history of migraines, then it is reasonable to think it is not connected to the concussion.  But it's also reasonable to think hmm, brain injury one day, migraine the next - wonder if they are connected somehow?

THU, DEC 10, 4:13 PMROTOWIRE.COM

Swift (illness) was a limited participant in Thursday's practice, Tim Twentyman of the Lions' official site reports.

Spin: Swift has now logged back-to-back limited practice to begin the week, an apparent indication that he has a fair chance to return from his three-game absence. With Kerryon Johnson (knee) having returned to practice in full and Adrian Peterson also healthy, though, the Lions have the luxury of quality backups to lean on if Swift isn't yet completely ready. Friday's practice will no doubt be key in determining the rookie's chances of suiting up for Sunday's game against the Packers.
If he plays, do you start him?  I guess it may depend on what is being said about the plan beforehand?  Last week I think it was indicated that even if he played, he would have a fairly small workload.

If he plays, do you start him?  I guess it may depend on what is being said about the plan beforehand?  Last week I think it was indicated that even if he played, he would have a fairly small workload.
I don't have any info on that, but my gut would say, that just because guy may have been limited a week ago, doesn't mean he would be now. 

I'd treat Swift as a solid RB2 this week. In the RB15-20 range.

Rotoworld:

D'Andre Swift (illness) is questionable for Week 14 against the Packers.

Swift is over his concussion and out of the league's protocol, but his unknown illness has kept his status in flux the last two weeks. He was still a full participant in Friday's practice and appears trending towards suiting up for Sunday. The last time fantasy players saw him, Swift handled 43-of-59 snaps and five targets (15%) as Detroit's workhorse over Adrian Peterson. The rookie would immediately return as a talented RB2 if active against Green Bay.

SOURCE: Kyle Meinke on Twitter

Dec 11, 2020, 3:49 PM ET

Good question. Hard to know what Bevell’s tendencies are versus Patricia’s. Hopefully Bevell will provide a bit more info before Sunday, although I doubt it once practice ends. 
That seems very unlikely that he would reveal his plans.

There was talk abut Swift being the primary RB the week before he got the concussion. 

Bevel wasn't using RBBC in Seattle or MN. On the other hand he has worked with Peterson for a lot of his career.

I think we are still back at square one and waiting to see what he does with Swift healthy.

Could this mean he never had a concussion?

https://twitter.com/ChrisBurkeNFL/status/1337421748950736896

@ChrisBurkeNFL

Darrell Bevell, asked by

@davebirkett

to confirm that D'Andre Swift had a concussion: "I cannot say that." More from Bevell: "I think it's safe to say there is a fine line there" between a concussion and how migraine symptoms would have presented.
I am not sure.

The response by Jimmy Liao is interesting as he lays out several things that may have happened and he explains how Swift did pass the concussion protocol but that this also only means the player did not report any concussion symptoms. whether they are recovered or not and he points out an inconsistency of the protocol in regards to Matthew Stafford.

One thing he speculates that I had not considered before is perhaps he got in a fight with someone outside the team, and this caused the concussion. There are too many unknowns and a lot of different things that may have happened.

Bevel talking about migraine symptoms reminds me somewhat of Percy Harvin who at times was at risk of missing games because of bad migraines. They seemed to have found a solution for that with a special pillow and better sleep helps prevent the migraines somewhat I heard. As Liao speculates, he may have been having trouble with sleeping because of the headaches and that would explain lower energy to practice and what Peterson was talking about. I think if he had a cold mixed in there that would aggravate the migraine symptoms too.

I did not like hearing Jimmy Liao talk about Javid Best reporting concussion symptoms until they finally gave up on him.  

D'Andre Swift (illness) is active for Week 14 against the Packers.

It'll be his first action since Week 10, but coming off a concussion and illness, Swift is a total wild card for fantasy purposes. Play him at your own risk. Inactive for the Lions are WR Kenny Golladay, CB Jeffrey Okudah, T Tyrell Crosby, QB David Blough, DL Frank Herron, S C.J. Moore, and RB Jonathan Williams.

Dec 13, 2020, 2:58 PM ET

BRANDON AIYUK A WR1 WITH UPSIDE VS. DALLAS

Excerpt:

D’Andre Swift at Titans -- After missing three games with a concussion/illness, Swift returned in Week 14 to pace the Lions in snap share (54%) and touches (11) ahead of Adrian Peterson (24%, 5) and Kerryon Johnson(21%, 3) while the rookie also found the end zone with a three-yard touchdown. Johnson also punched in a goal-line score. And after Peterson scored four times Weeks 12-13, this backfield looks like a total crapshoot from a TD standpoint. But it was promising to see Swift step right back into lead-back work. Assuming his conditioning is fine, look for Swift to get even more work against the Titans. Facing Tennessee’s awful defense, Swift will be an upside RB2. The Titans are 26th in fantasy points allowed to running backs and have surrendered the second-most receiving touchdowns to the position. With the Lions as 11-point road underdogs, Swift should dominate the Detroit backfield snaps.

D'Andre Swift rushed 15 times for 67 yards and two touchdowns in the Lions' Week 15 loss to the Titans.

He added four catches for 15 yards on five targets, which were the second-most on the team behind Marvin Jones' 12. Swift got the start in this one, and his 19 touches easily paced the Lions' backfield ahead of Adrian Peterson's six and Kerryon Johnson's goose egg. Swift lost an early fumble at the goal line as he attempted to jump over the pile into the end zone from the one-yard line, but the Lions stuck with him, and he made up for the turnover with two- and six-yard touchdown runs. Swift now has 30 touches over the last two weeks sine returning from his concussion. Swift gets a tough Week 16 date with the Bucs but will be an upside RB2 for that one.

Dec 20, 2020, 4:17 PM ET

Seems pretty highly ranked today?  Limited coaching staff.  Peterson still taking carries and Johnson.  Bucs solid run D. 

anyone starting Fournette over him? Benching him? 

Seems pretty highly ranked today?  Limited coaching staff.  Peterson still taking carries and Johnson.  Bucs solid run D. 

anyone starting Fournette over him? Benching him? 
Tough call between Swift and Fournette. Prolly give the nod to Fournette for TD's and control the clock in the 4th quarter.

I'm a Lions homer and starting Swift as my RB #1 this week along with J Wilson - other RB's have all gone South - CMC, Connor, Gibson. 

Tough call between Swift and Fournette. Prolly give the nod to Fournette for TD's and control the clock in the 4th quarter.

I'm a Lions homer and starting Swift as my RB #1 this week along with J Wilson - other RB's have all gone South - CMC, Connor, Gibson. 
Right now I’m rolling with Swift and DJ

over Fournette, Pollard, Dobbins. Likely will regret it.  Hoping for a ton of Swift receptions. 

Probably because he looks amazing every time he touches the ball? 
Game script was never going to help him in this matchup.  If he’s not getting the PPR dumps he’s useless today.  Haven’t attempted one screen.  Chase Daniel can’t get a first down. Even before Daniel two down offensive lineman.  

My fault for starting someone whose team is currently in golf mode. 

Game script was never going to help him in this matchup.  If he’s not getting the PPR dumps he’s useless today.  Haven’t attempted one screen.  Chase Daniel can’t get a first down. Even before Daniel two down offensive lineman.  

My fault for starting someone whose team is currently in golf mode. 
The process was correct.

D'Andre Swift rushed 12 times for 54 yards and one touchdown and caught 3-of-3 targets for 16 receiving yards in the Lions' Week 17 loss to the Vikings.

Stuck in a three-back committee in September, Swift rightfully earned more work in November and December. He averaged 10.0 PPR points before the Lions bye and 16.2 PPR points afterwards while rendering Adrian Peterson to just a handful of snaps weekly. The second-rounder profiles as a three-down back with plenty of pass-catching chops. He caught 46 passes for 357 yards and two touchdowns in addition to his 521 rushing yards and eight rushing touchdowns on 114 carries across 13 games. He missed three games with a concussion. Swift likely gets the backfield to himself in 2021, but it’s unknown who will be quarterbacking and calling plays then. The Georgia alum belongs on the RB1/2 border depending on how the Lions handle the offseason. Nothing about his rookie season changed his lofty pre-draft expectations.

- Rotoworld

Lions head coach Dan Campbell said he wants to use RB D'Andre Swift as a slot receiver. 

After elaborating on how his Lions will "bite off" the kneecaps of their opponents -- among other medieval torture techniques -- the new Detroit head coach said he wants an offensive coordinator who will get Swift in space against linebackers, including using him in the slot. An excellent pass catcher, Swift excelled as the team's primary pass-catching back late in the 2020 season, catching 46 of 57 targets for 357 yards and two touchdowns. Swift's best game of the season was in Week 10 against Washington, when he exploited defensive mismatches and caught all five of his targets for 68 yards and a score. Swift would transform into a PPR force if the team commits to the shifty back in such a role. 

https://www.rotoworld.com/football/nfl/player/58442/dandre-swift

It's January, but Swift owners have to love the sound of this.

Last edited by a moderator:
Seems like the Swift arrow continues to head up with the addition of Lynn as OC and Duce Staley as the running game coordinator. Thoughts?
Those appear to be positives for Swift, but you have to wonder what the rest of the offense will look like, and how will that affect Swift's production?

Those appear to be positives for Swift, but you have to wonder what the rest of the offense will look like, and how will that affect Swift's production?
Indeed - QB position obviously needs to be settled. Maybe Kenny G sticks around with the new regime. 

I agree, volume and usage arrow pointing up making for a nice floor, overall offense effectiveness arrow pointing way down since potentially looking at the 3rd or 4th drafted rookie QB and nothing at WR. But it’s a long way to Sept - perhaps they use the 7 on a QB and the 1st they potentially will acquire for Stafford on a WR. Seems unlikely they can afford to keep Golladay but I am sure they can make cap room if they really want him.

Please dont call Goladay that. I am trying to like him. Calling him that does not help.
I will call him KG.

It will be interesting whether they franchise, extend, or part ways with him. Right now they need someone to stretch the field if the running game is going to work. A TE and a slot receiver is all the Lions have under contract.

Swift is going to be expensive in redraft this year. I wont have him on all my teams again.
You can try to lower his value by accentuating the quote towards the bottom: 

Lynn said...the Lions need to "find someone else to go with him."

Although I'm taking that to mean that they are not happy with either AP or Kerryon to spell him, as opposed to a true RBBC.

You can try to lower his value by accentuating the quote towards the bottom: 

Lynn said...the Lions need to "find someone else to go with him."

Although I'm taking that to mean that they are not happy with either AP or Kerryon to spell him, as opposed to a true RBBC.
I cant do that, but if people would be so kind as to do so I wouldnt mind.

Users who are viewing this thread