What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

RB D’Andre Swift, CHI (6 Viewers)

I don't think the Lions have any interest in shutting him down.  I mean what's the difference for the Lions between week 8 and say week 15?

The Lions are trying to get a win and establish a culture, wipe away the losing one that exists. You don't do any of those things if you got one of your best players healthy enough to play and just say no thanks. Maybe the shoulder lingers,  perhaps they decide before Sunday to put him on IR for at least 3 weeks but I do feel pretty strongly that if he's healthy enough to play he'll play.

I don't think the Lions have any interest in shutting him down.  I mean what's the difference for the Lions between week 8 and say week 15?

The Lions are trying to get a win and establish a culture, wipe away the losing one that exists. You don't do any of those things if you got one of your best players healthy enough to play and just say no thanks. Maybe the shoulder lingers,  perhaps they decide before Sunday to put him on IR for at least 3 weeks but I do feel pretty strongly that if he's healthy enough to play he'll play.
agreed

Any thoughts on if Godwin Igwebuike will have a role in the coming weeks? Deep starting lineups, Williams drafted and held all year by another owner and I will be in desperation mode come the playoffs with Swift's injury. I thought Godwin might have been the hot hand, but wondering if Jermar Jefferson is the better one to hold if Williams can't stay healthy with starting role. Maybe it's neither. Down to my last $5 for waivers. Opinions are much appreciated.

D'Andre Swift (shoulder) remained sidelined on Thursday. 

The recent scuttlebutt has been that Swift could miss more than one game. He can safely be considered out for Sunday's game against the Vikings, leaving behind a low-end RB2 role for 1B back Jamaal Williams. We wouldn't lose any sleep trying to project Godwin Igwebuike vs. Jermar Jefferson behind Williams. 

Dec 2, 2021, 1:29 PM ET

NFL Network's Ian Rapoport reports D'Andre Swift (shoulder) "feels like a long shot" to return in Week 14. 

Swift has yet to be formally ruled out for Week 13, but that should come on Friday. Any time a player goes an entire week without practice reps they should be considered on the wrong side of questionable for the following contest, but the Lions have hinted at optimism Swift will miss fewer than three game by holding off on placing him on injured reserve. That could still happen on Saturday, but we doubt it. Jamaal Williams is a borderline top-20 option in Swift's absence. 

SOURCE: Ian Rapoport on Twitter 

Dec 2, 2021, 2:19 PM ET

D'Andre Swift is out for Week 13 against the Vikings. 

Jamaal Williams, after setting season highs in snaps and carries last week against Chicago, will take over as Detroit's RB1. He should get all the work he can handle, including pass-catching opportunities from checkdown master Jared Goff. No team has targeted running backs at a higher rate than the Lions (29 percent) through 12 weeks. Williams goes against an injury-plagued Minnesota front seven that has allowed the highest rushing expected points added (EPA) over the past five weeks. Williams is locked in as a RB2 option against the Vikings. 

RELATED: 

Jamaal Williams

SOURCE: Adam Schefter on Twitter 

Dec 3, 2021, 11:12 AM ET

Coach Dan Campbell said D'Andre Swift (shoulder) is "improving."

That's about the extent of the update we got on Swift Wednesday after the Lions conducted a walkthrough for practice. We'll have Swift's official practice status later today, but earlier word on the street was Swift was a "long shot" to play Week 14 against the Broncos. Jamaal Williams and Godwin Igwebuike handled backfield duties against the Vikings last Sunday.

SOURCE: Eric Woodyard on Twitter

Dec 8, 2021, 1:29 PM ET

Everyone always says that a NFL team should shut a guy down for the season just because they are out of the playoff chase and it almost never happens. Healthy players play.

Roll him out there to get a couple touches this week so he is good to go week 15 for start of playoffs! 

Unlikely this week 

rest for the playoffs 
NBC Sports Edge:

Lions head coach Dan Campbell said it's "unlikely" D'Andre Swift (shoulder) plays in Week 14 against the Broncos. 

Swift, who picked up the shoulder injury on Thanksgiving, didn't practice all week. He's at least another week away from returning as the Lions' lead back. Jamaal Williams in Week 13 saw his assumed workhorse role fall to the wayside with Godwin Igwebuike running more pass routes and seeing more targets than Williams. Jermar Jefferson also mixed into the Detroit backfield in their Week 13 win over Minnesota. Without the backfield pass catching role, Williams is a touchdown-dependent RB3 against Denver in what could be another pass-heavy game script for Jared Goff and the Lions. 

RELATED: 

Jamaal Williams

, Godwin Igwebuike

, Jermar Jefferson

SOURCE: Tim Twentyman on Twitter

Dec 10, 2021, 11:15 AM ET

ESPN’s Adam Schefter reports D'Andre Swift (shoulder) is a candidate to be placed on injured reserve.

Swift, who was never given a timetable after going down in Detroit's Thanksgiving game, was an early rule out the last two weeks. With only three games remaining, the Lions would be shutting him down for the season. Detroit will also be without Jamaal Williams (reserve/COVID) this week and potentially beyond, leaving rookie Jermar Jefferson in line for his first career start. Godwin Igwebuike has served as the Lions' pass-down back with Swift sidelined and will also see an expanded role, while Craig Reynolds should be active as the No. 3 back.

RELATED: 

Jermar Jefferson

, Jamaal Williams

SOURCE: ESPN

Dec 12, 2021, 12:41 AM ET

ESPN’s Adam Schefter reports D'Andre Swift (shoulder) is a candidate to be placed on injured reserve.

Swift, who was never given a timetable after going down in Detroit's Thanksgiving game, was an early rule out the last two weeks. With only three games remaining, the Lions would be shutting him down for the season. Detroit will also be without Jamaal Williams (reserve/COVID) this week and potentially beyond, leaving rookie Jermar Jefferson in line for his first career start. Godwin Igwebuike has served as the Lions' pass-down back with Swift sidelined and will also see an expanded role, while Craig Reynolds should be active as the No. 3 back.

RELATED: 

Jermar Jefferson

, Jamaal Williams

I guess when you’re the smartest guy on Twitter you can just say whatever, eh?

1) Campbell said on 12/3 he’s a week away. Swift went through walk through on Tuesday. Campbell said he’s close but unlikely to play this week on Friday.

2) He gave a time table, Swift was not a rule our early both weeks. I cannot put Swift on IR until he is officially declared out, so I know it was late Saturday afternoon both weeks. Early to me is during the week so maybe just semantics.

3) Campbell said Swift is not going to he shutdown. But Schefter Tweeted it so guess it just has to be true he. /S

Last edited by a moderator:

RELATED: 

Jermar Jefferson

, Jamaal Williams

I guess when you’re the smartest guy on Twitter you can just say whatever, eh?

1) Campbell said on 12/3 he’s a week away. Swift went through walk through on Tuesday. Campbell said he’s close but unlikely to play this week on Friday.

2) He gave a time table, Swift was not a role our early both weeks. I cannot put Swift on IR until he is officially declared out, so I know it was late Saturday afternoon both weeks. Early to me is during the week so Jayne just semantics.

3) Campbell said Swift is not going to he shutdown. But Schefter Tweeted it so guess it just has to be true he. /S
True - not sure where Schefter is getting his information. Certainly seems to run counter to what Campbell has said.

I can see a rationale for sitting him now that the team is not winless, but Campbell doesn't strike me as a guy who will sit guys just to avoid getting hurt. Now if team doctors re-examined Swift's shoulder and said he could risk longer-term damage by playing through it, that is one thing. But that doesn't seem to be what has been reported of late.

Lions coach Dan Campbell said he is "hopeful" to get D'Andre Swift (shoulder) back for Week 15 against the Cardinals.

Campbell lumped Swift's injury status in with T.J. Hockenson's, calling both day-to-day. We're taking his comments with a grain of salt as previous reports said Swift was a candidate to land on injured reserve. With Swift and Jamaal Williams out last week, Craig Reynolds led the backfield in carries versus the Broncos. He turned 11 rushes into 87 yards, giving him some deep RB4 life if he draws another start in Week 15. 

SOURCE: Eric Woodyard on Twitter

Dec 13, 2021, 2:49 PM ET

I watched the presser (as always) and that blurb @Faust posted is not contextual. NBD, those two-three line updates don’t do nuance, and I don’t expect my GB to investigate the validity of statements. That’s where homers come in.

He didn’t say a lot - it was the last Q, and DC didn’t lump those two players together, the reporter did - but he spoke about their desire to play and we’d know a little more tomorrow. They were close this week, hoping they continue to heal.

(because of last weeks flu outbreak & 7 Covid positives they kept the players away from the facility today, didn’t even allow them to work out on their own as they do every week.)

Earlier in the PC he was asked “what’s your motivation in a season like this, what are trying to accomplish, what drives the players?”

I loved his answer. 

“Listen, we’re trying to do the same thing we always do. We’re trying to win games. We’re playing the number one team in our conference this week and I want that challenge for us. Look, nobody is going to feel sorry for you about who’s hurt or Covid or flu or whatever excuse. These are the guys we have, let’s go to work. What’s the motivation? You play for pride. You play for yourself. You play for the guy next to you.”

If it becomes a medical reality it’s in Swift’s best interest to shut him down, then that’s a medical staff decision. But from the players perspective and because of the kind of coach he is, they’re not tanking. 

I watch these guys every week and despite having the worst roster in the league, an unreal number of injuries, 30 guys out with the flu or Covid, they play hard. When you have 53 guys busting their ### the last thing you want to do is say “hey, appreciate the effort, but these last four don’t mean anything.” That’s not who these guys are.

random internet doctor who Tweets about NFL injuries (theFantasyDoctors.com)

There are a range of outcomes for Grade 2 / Grade 3 AC sprains. Generally 2-6 weeks to heal. We’re in the optimistic side of that timetable now. 50% to be back this week, next week is more likely. But getting shut down is also on the table.

FYI

I was wrong in a couple threads this week saying Schefter Tweeted about the latter. He did not - it was a quick report on ESPN. It’s upthread but I’ll repost it here:

2 days ago

2021-12-12 12:41:52 (ET)

I watch these guys every week and despite having the worst roster in the league, an unreal number of injuries, 30 guys out with the flu or Covid, they play hard. When you have 53 guys busting their ### the last thing you want to do is say “hey, appreciate the effort, but these last four don’t mean anything.” That’s not who these guys are.
That seems clear, but just wonder if they'll push Swift if he's not fully healed. They obviously want to win, but also wonder if they want to avoid further long-term damage for a guy they're building around.

That seems clear, but just wonder if they'll push Swift if he's not fully healed. They obviously want to win, but also wonder if they want to avoid further long-term damage for a guy they're building around.
I don’t think they will. But my laymen’s understanding is he’s not going to damage it further by playing. I’m sure, as with any injury, he has a higher risk of re-injury than if he had never sprained it. 

They’re being wise about it. Right now it’s a medical decision. Once he is cleared, there are still other risk/reward Qs to answer. I have an opinion on why, from a messaging view, they will play him if they can. But it’s just that, an opinion with no factual basis.

I have an opinion on why, from a messaging view, they will play him if they can. But it’s just that, an opinion with no factual basis.
That's a fair point. I'm sure part of the mosaic is that they also want to be careful about what kind of message it would send to the fans by letting Swift sit - if he is healthy enough to play. I can similarly relate from a Jets fan perspective.

That's a fair point. I'm sure part of the mosaic is that they also want to be careful about what kind of message it would send to the fans by letting Swift sit - if he is healthy enough to play. I can similarly relate from a Jets fan perspective.
Quinnen Williams (NYJ) has 6 sacks this year. Space eater, great young player. If he doesn’t make it this year, future Pro Bowl DL. 

Early 2nd Q he goes down. Shoulder. Obvious pain. Gets up, straight to the locker room. He’s gotta be done.

Except the next Saints drive, I see 95 on the 3rd down. They show him on the sideline, left side is all bulked up bc they wrapped the crap out of it.

Second half, he’s making plays left and right. 2-10 team, almost hopeless that Zach can lead a comeback. Williams is out there clogging it up. Every time he makes a tackle, he’s getting up slow. I saw him wincing 5 or 6 times. Looked to be in pain on the sidelines, too.

Lost season. Meaningless game. Dude is out there giving everything he has. 

You think Saleh wants that kind of guy on the rebuild? Absolutely. I guarantee you all of his teammates do to. Not because of the talent, but the dedication, the effort, the pride. That’s leadership. That is the mind of the athlete.

r e s p e c t

D'Andre Swift reports yesterday: Dan Campbell was "hopeful" and Swift was upgraded to day-to-day.

D'Andre Swift reports today: No practice and "doesn’t sound overly optimistic" for Sunday.

In other words, we won't know a thing until Friday's practice report.

Campbell said Hock & Swift aren’t practicing but “they’ll move around a bit.” Presumably individual drills on the side.

D'Andre Swift reports yesterday: Dan Campbell was "hopeful" and Swift was upgraded to day-to-day.

D'Andre Swift reports today: No practice and "doesn’t sound overly optimistic" for Sunday.

In other words, we won't know a thing until Friday's practice report.

Campbell said Hock & Swift aren’t practicing but “they’ll move around a bit.” Presumably individual drills on the side.

I don't see it happening unfortunately.

BobbyLayne said:
random internet doctor who Tweets about NFL injuries (theFantasyDoctors.com)

There are a range of outcomes for Grade 2 / Grade 3 AC sprains. Generally 2-6 weeks to heal. We’re in the optimistic side of that timetable now. 50% to be back this week, next week is more likely. But getting shut down is also on the table.

FYI

I was wrong in a couple threads this week saying Schefter Tweeted about the latter. He did not - it was a quick report on ESPN. It’s upthread but I’ll repost it here:

2 days ago

2021-12-12 12:41:52 (ET)
Is anyone a fan of that Jesse Morse? He seems to get so angry when he’s wrong.  I’m team Dr. Chao

Is anyone a fan of that Jesse Morse? He seems to get so angry when he’s wrong.  I’m team Dr. Chao
seems like an arrogant deusche and tends to not really understand things. most recent case. Spent a bunch of time discussing whether or not AJB will be back this week...when he's not eligible.
I don’t follow any FF medical professionals. Seems like often their credentials are very tangential, e.g., a pediatric going on at length about orthopedics like it’s their specialty. I don’t call my uncle the optometrist when I want to learn about my parents thoracic surgery. In reality they’re of limited value as they didn’t examine,  they’re not treating, they are not monitoring the athlete. The same injury can have significant variance and they’re as clueless as any of us about specific return times.

The one aspect I like is when they give a concise explanation of types/grade of an injury and what the general recovery time might be. That’s why I posted the link up thread.

I don’t follow any FF medical professionals. Seems like often their credentials are very tangential, e.g., a pediatric going on at length about orthopedics like it’s their specialty. I don’t call my uncle the optometrist when I want to learn about my parents thoracic surgery. In reality they’re of limited value as they didn’t examine,  they’re not treating, they are not monitoring the athlete. The same injury can have significant variance and they’re as clueless as any of us about specific return times.

The one aspect I like is when they give a concise explanation of types/grade of an injury and what the general recovery time might be. That’s why I posted the link up thread.
Dr. Chao the former team doctor for the Chargers is good. These other guys just want clicks and promotions. 

D'Andre Swift (shoulder) did not participate in Thursday's practice. 

Swift has not participated in practice or a game since leaving Thanksgiving's matchup against the Bears. The injury was initially reported as something that could send Swift to IR, and it sure looks to have taken up about the amount of time an IR stint would have. It's hard to see Swift suddenly shedding this many consecutive inactive days to play against the Cardinals on Sunday.

Can someone please give D'Andre Swift the number of Dalvin Cook's harness guy?
Killing me that Swift is still on the shelf.  My opponent got off to a nice start last night with Tyreek.  I need all the pistons firing but I guess Swift is done.  

@Justin_Rogers

Swift hasn't practiced all week. It would be a shock if he plays. Jefferson has been practicing, but can't definitively say between him and Reynolds. I expect both to be active, but there are no sure things in the mess going on over here.

Head Coach Dan Campbell said today that the Lions have no plans to shut down D’Andre Swift at this time and mentioned that he was feeling better.

“I still think we’re taking this week-to-week, day-to-day,” Campbell said of Swift. “I know as of this morning, he’s better than he felt last week. He feels better than he was Saturday when we worked with him. So our plan is to work him back into practice this week and see how he feels.”

I guess he'll be taking up a spot on my bench through out the FF playoffs   :kicksrock:

Thing is, even if he comes back, DC has indicated Craig Reynolds has earned a role going forward no matter who come back (presumably Jamaal comes off the Covid list at some point....it's been 2+ weeks I think.) So it is going to be pretty hard to trust Swift even though YTD he has been pretty efficient with his touches.

Drippity drop. He is probably out again week 16 then would you really roll the dice 17? I kinda hope my opponent uses a waiver on him and plugs him. Been a fun ride while it lasted. 

If he practices in full this week I don’t know his you sit him. Falcons have given up the 8th most FF points to RBs.

If he’s a go Week 17, Seattle is 31st (2nd most) in that category. Ain’t nobody sitting him if he’s playing with that matchup.

IMO

D’Andre Swift & Jamaal Williams are back at practice today

Campbell said the one thing he’s looking for with Swift this week is whether is exhibiting confidence in his shoulder. Sounds like he’s fully healed.

Users who are viewing this thread