What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

RB D’Andre Swift, CHI (7 Viewers)

DetroitLions.com's Tim Twentyman has been impressed with D'Andre Swift's work in the passing game in training camp. 

"Swift's looked very crisp as a receiver early on and he excelled in one-on-one passing drills against defenders on Tuesday," Twentyman, a longtime team employee, observed. "His combination of quickness, speed and suddenness has proven to be a tough combination for defenders to lock onto early in camp." Swift caught a modest 73 passes across his college career, but says he always craved a bigger role in the passing game. Earning an immediate role in the passing game would be a significant fantasy development for a player currently being drafted in the RB26-32 range. It would also be a major issue for on-the-spot third-year pro Kerryon Johnson. Big, explosive and excellent at reading the first level of the defense, Swift has major upside as the No. 35 overall pick. 

SOURCE: detroitlions.com

Aug 18, 2020, 4:19 PM ET

Lions rookie D’Andre Swift suffered a leg injury at Thursday’s practice.

It sounds like the Lions are playing it safe by holding him out. Swift had been drawing raves for his pass game work in training camp. Anything more than a day to day injury would be a concern to his early season workload.

SOURCE: Detroit News

Aug 21, 2020, 6:24 PM ET

The Athletic's Chris Burke reports Lions RB D'Andre Swift (leg) remains absent from practice.

Meanwhile second-year RB Ty Johnson has taken reps in drills behind Kerryon Johnson. It's possible the Lions are holding Swift back for precautionary reasons, but his extended absence at least needs to be monitored ahead of Week 1. The rookie was garnering rave reviews for his shiftiness in the passing game prior to injury.

SOURCE: Chris Burke on Twitter

Aug 27, 2020, 11:48 AM ET

Lions RB D'Andre Swift returned to practice on a "limited" basis Monday after missing more than a week with a leg injury. 

Lions head coach Matt Patricia called Swift's absence "a concern" and said the team would "work him in" upon his return. The rookie returning to practice, even in a limited capacity, is somewhat encouraging news. Meanwhile, Detroit beat writers expect Kerryon Johnson to function as the starter in the early season. Swift's sixth round ADP looks more and more iffy every day. 

RELATED: 

Kerryon Johnson

SOURCE: Tim Twentyman on Twitter

Aug 31, 2020, 10:32 AM ET

The only back in this draft that is landing spot proof is Swift.  At worst, he'll be used like Kamara. 

maybe i'm taking crazy pills but swift falling to 1.04 - 1.06 in dynasty drafts is really hard to align with pre-draft talk from 2018 to 2020.

I don’t want to pile on the front office because it’s so cliche but I don’t think we’d be talking about Peterson if we’d drafted Taylor or Dobbins. 

I don’t want to pile on the front office because it’s so cliche but I don’t think we’d be talking about Peterson if we’d drafted Taylor or Dobbins. 
Then again, we probably wouldn't be talking about Peterson if Swift weren't hurt. As we know, Kerryon isn't exactly the bastion of health himself.

Last edited by a moderator:
I agree about Taylor but then we probably would have signed Dare O when the Bucs cut him. If we had Kerryon and Taylor we would be lacking in a real pass catching back. I think they were specifically looking for someone who could provide explosive plays in the passing game when they took Swift. 

If Taylor or Dobbins were nicked up during training camp I'm guessing we would.
...but what's worrisome is that Swift had constant injury issues in college and now he's having trouble with injuries again.  Did fantasy owners ignore this?  One thing in his favor is that he seemed to play through pain a lot in college.  His fantasy owners will probably have to constantly put up with the nagging injuries in the pros, but that isn't something that can be predicted really.

...but what's worrisome is that Swift had constant injury issues in college and now he's having trouble with injuries again.  Did fantasy owners ignore this?  One thing in his favor is that he seemed to play through pain a lot in college.  His fantasy owners will probably have to constantly put up with the nagging injuries in the pros, but that isn't something that can be predicted really.
This was partially reason for bypassing him in favor of Cam Akers at 1.06 and plus I dont like Lions situation.  And oh, I have Kerryon Johnson on my roster in PPR dynasty league. 

This was partially reason for bypassing him in favor of Cam Akers at 1.06 and plus I dont like Lions situation.  And oh, I have Kerryon Johnson on my roster in PPR dynasty league. 
Not so sure Cam Akers is any better of choice right now because of the way McVay will use his RBs.  I don't know if you will ever be able to start him with confidence having to compete with Brown and Henderson.  I suppose anything can change, but we all know what McVay did to Gurley.  I know he had injuries at at times, but I also know he was healthy and McVay chose C J Anderson and Malcom Brown over Gurley when most thought it was dumb.

D'Andre Swift (hip) was limited in Wednesday's practice.

Swift returned to practice last week and should be fine to play Week 1 against the Bears. His role, however, is up in the air after the Lions signed Adrian Peterson to go along with Swift and Kerryon Johnson, who is penciled in as the starter. Swift is a fade for this difficult Week 1 draw with an uncertain workload.

SOURCE: Michael Rothstein on Twitter

Sep 9, 2020, 4:09 PM ET

D'Andre Swift (hip) remained "limited" in Thursday's practice. 

Swift is fully on track to play against the Bears, but the continued "limited" tags obviously suggest he won't be ready for a full complement of snaps. The Lions' backfield is shaping up as a three-man disaster for Week 1, with Kerryon Johnson the only back worth considering as a FLEX in deeper leagues. Adrian Peterson should be avoided while Swift, though the upside is apparent, comes with too much opening-week downside. 

SOURCE: Tim Twentyman on Twitter 

Sep 10, 2020, 4:47 PM ET

D'Andre Swift (hip) was removed from the Week 1 injury report.

Swift is healthy enough to play after a full practice Friday. His role is the bigger concern, with Kerryon Johnson and potentially Adrian Peterson ahead of him. Swift may be part of a three-back committee to start the year.

Sep 12, 2020, 9:59 AM ET

How will Adrian Peterson affect fantasy outlook for Lions RBs Kerryon Johnson, D’Andre Swift?

ALLEN PARK -- Adrian Peterson’s signing with the Detroit Lions to open the week registered quite the impressive degree of varying reactions.

In fantasy football circles, though, that reaction was a collective groan, followed by something along the lines: “Here we go again.”

“Well, they’re asking me to do a lot, you know?” Peterson said of his role. “I don’t think we’ve locked in exactly, but what the obvious thing is, what I’ve done for 14 years, is run the ball well, catch the ball when I have opportunities, pick up blocks.”

Lions rookie running back D’Andre Swift was already scrubbing off his preseason hype with a string of missed practices, while Kerryon Johnson gave himself the nickname of “the knee brace guy.” Pair all of that with the addition of a 35-year-old running back expected to have a role on Day 1, and Detroit’s backfield essentially turned into a bobby-trapped temple in the eyes of fantasy owners.

Detroit has warned that Swift’s role could be diminished early due to his missed practices. The addition of Peterson certainly stays in line with that thinking, despite the two likely playing very different roles.

Swift looks destined for pass-catching downs and was eventually expected to cut into Kerryon Johnson’s touches. The rookie remains owned in more than 90% of ESPN and Yahoo leagues, with a much higher upside in PPR leagues. Patience is going to be essential for Swift because he’s going to have a role. It just might take a minute to develop past the occasional pass-catching down. The rookie missed valuable time picking up the offense during camp, and the Lions are sure to exercise some caution after the strange offseason. When he was on the field, though? It was easy to see why many were envisioning Alvin Kamara-type of use for Swift in Detroit.

Peterson’s addition to Detroit’s backfield seems more problematic for Kerryon Johnson’s fantasy outlook than Swift’s. Peterson knows Bevell’s offense, and has remained solid in short-yardage, between the tackle situations. The veteran averaged 4.2 yards per attempt in two seasons with Washington, including 898 yards and five scores on a putrid offense last year. Peterson is not a factor in the passing game, and it sure would be weird to see him take that on more in his Age 35 season.

ESPN projects Peterson for fewer fantasy points than Swift and Kerryon Johnson against the Bears this weekend. He’s rostered in 21.9% of leagues, which has been trending further down throughout the week since his release.

Peterson is worth a look because he could very well morph into Detroit’s “got to have it” option. Kerryon Johnson missed eight games last season and still led the Lions with three rushing touchdowns. Wes Hills appeared in one game in 2019 and was second on the team with two rushing scores. Even from the most bullish viewpoint, the man known as “A.D.” still adds something the closer you get to the end zone.

Last but not least is Kerryon Johnson, who is likely to draw the start at running back for the third straight season. He’s continued to sport a hefty knee brace on his right knee, and it sounds like it’s here to stay. He’s missed 14 games through his first two seasons due to knee injuries but returned last year for the final two games. The back handled double-digit carry totals each week, and, most importantly, came out unscathed. He opened last season taking a near bell-cow workload with 16, 12, 20, 26 and 13 carries in five starts before his injury, but that feels less than likely to happen again.

All three running backs are worth a roster spot, but the Lions seemed destined to take the back-by-committee approach to new levels. Swift is here to change things up and catch passes, so exercise some patience in PPR leagues if you took an early gamble on the rookie. I’d personally stay far away from starting any of the three until roles start to materialize.

I loaded up on WR and TE this year so my RBs are....questionable.  I am considering starting White over Swift week one because while I am excited about his prospects this year, week one is shaping up to be a big questions mark.  Am I reading the tea leaves wrong here?

I loaded up on WR and TE this year so my RBs are....questionable.  I am considering starting White over Swift week one because while I am excited about his prospects this year, week one is shaping up to be a big questions mark.  Am I reading the tea leaves wrong here?
Nope, you are spot on. Swift has a lot of potential- especially as a pass catcher but you need to wait and see.

I am playing him in one league because after injuries the only other option is Malcolm Brown. I’m hoping he gets all third down work and  five or so early down carries at least. I would think the coach would want to see what his rookie can do. I hope this isn’t like the Kamara rookie year where it takes five games to finally see his game abilities.

I am playing him in one league because after injuries the only other option is Malcolm Brown. I’m hoping he gets all third down work and  five or so early down carries at least. I would think the coach would want to see what his rookie can do. I hope this isn’t like the Kamara rookie year where it takes five games to finally see his game abilities.
I am certain he will play and get some touches but the Bears D is good, he's just recovered from an injury, the Lions like to keep it pretty missionary at RB and it's a borderline must win game. 

I am certain he will play and get some touches but the Bears D is good, he's just recovered from an injury, the Lions like to keep it pretty missionary at RB and it's a borderline must win game. 
Taking screw the RB to another level here GB.

I have no idea what is going to happen. The Lions always seem to find a way to mess things up, especially at this position.

I think Swift is a really talented player though. He was cheap. I got him a bunch. 

Taking screw the RB to another level here GB.

I have no idea what is going to happen. The Lions always seem to find a way to mess things up, especially at this position.

I think Swift is a really talented player though. He was cheap. I got him a bunch. 
Yeah, I liked the price as well but the injury and Peterson signing is a bummer. I think we see a full blown RBBC and it's just a matter of injuries and quality of play to determine if Swfit can get a big enough role to satisfy his fantasy managers. Week 1 I expect 

Kerryon 10 carries, 1 reception.

Peterson  8 carries, 0 receptions

Swift 3 carries, 2 receptions

Ty Johnson/Agnew- 2 carries, 2 receptions 

Ilov80s said:
Yeah, I liked the price as well but the injury and Peterson signing is a bummer. I think we see a full blown RBBC and it's just a matter of injuries and quality of play to determine if Swfit can get a big enough role to satisfy his fantasy managers. Week 1 I expect 

Kerryon 10 carries, 1 reception.

Peterson  8 carries, 0 receptions

Swift 3 carries, 2 receptions

Ty Johnson/Agnew- 2 carries, 2 receptions 
Sounds about right for Week 1.

For the year I am thinking Swift leads the RB in targets and ADP in rushing attempts. Kerryon will get his share as well. Would hate to own any of them this year.

Brutal drop, but you don’t completely pine your top draft pick for that.  Well, unless you’re the Lions.  Then you give a 34 year old AP more run.  

Will be interesting to see how this affects Swift.

Brutal drop, but you don’t completely pine your top draft pick for that.  Well, unless you’re the Lions.  Then you give a 34 year old AP more run.  

Of course they’re not going to totally bench him but they’re likely going to make him earn it back 

Earn it back?  He played like 20’snaps today.  Can’t cut it back much from today.
Sure they can - by giving him the same number of snaps in less high leverage situations before fully entrusting him.

I do think it will be a good learning experience for him in the long run.

35 but no ones counting

I checked a half dozen Michigan papers/sites yesterday and fully 50% of the beat writers & columnists were on record ADP would lead the team in rushing this year

with that defense might not be saying much

D'Andre Swift rushed seven times for 14 yards and a touchdown in Week 1 against Chicago. 

Swift was the third back in the game behind Kerryon Johnson and Adrian Peterson. He rotated in some carries on the second series but was mostly limited to pass downs, where he had three catches for 15 yards. Swift's touchdown came on a red-zone carry while he was playing in the two minute offense. The story of Swift's debut was the the TD he didn't score, a wide-open dropped pass in the end-zone that would have won the Lions the game on the final drive. Swift can still turn things around, but he's starting to look like a game-flow dependent committee back.

- Rotoworld

i'm not a big "narrative" guy but that drop was the type of thing that will haunt an athlete. here's hoping he uses it as fuel to work harder and harder.
Professionals move on quickly from bad things.  Especially with a few days to think it through.  They’re still defining to the athlete but it’s next play, shot, whatever for Swift‘s mindset.  

Here is my concern. He barely sees the field and you draw up that play for him? Give him more reps so he is in a rhythm and gets a "feel" for the game. 

It was a bad drop. No doubt about it. But I  just feel like it was an odd situation. 

Here is my concern. He barely sees the field and you draw up that play for him? Give him more reps so he is in a rhythm and gets a "feel" for the game. 

It was a bad drop. No doubt about it. But I  just feel like it was an odd situation. 
Yeah, I don’t go to the rookie with a ####ed up off season and only a handful of nfl snaps with the game on the line. 

he was on the field for 40%+ of the snaps, so it's not like the team just threw him in there at the end.

and judging by the play, i'm not sure the play was drawn up just for him. there were three routes out left: one short near the sideline, a post route / 15 yard in by marvin jones (i think) and swift racing to the corner. it looks like stafford's first read was jones but he had two defenders near him while swift got past his man and stafford took the shot.

Users who are viewing this thread