What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

RB D’Andre Swift, CHI (4 Viewers)

I’m not really debating whether a guy who goes 1, 2, -5, 35, 3, 1 is more valuable than the guy who goes 4, 3, 5, 6, 2.
But you really are debating that point. NFL games consist of more than one offensive play. The guy who can't follow the playbook doesn't get more playing time that's a simple reality.
I think I quoted the wrong message, but this was in response to the general point you're making -
Edgrine James (sp?) gave an interview once where he talked about how a play was called where he was supposed to get a first down and get out of bounds, but instead ran along the sideline for a td. Aaron Rodgers talked about how in his superbowl winning drive he was drawing plays in the dirt. The post Jimmy Johnson cowboys basically ignored the next guy whose name I forget.
Point is, if a player is good enough they can pretty much do what they want within reason. Considering the state of Detroit football, maybe just letting their best play makers try to hero ball it for a while would be fun. Not like the coaches will be there next year.

I’m not really debating whether a guy who goes 1, 2, -5, 35, 3, 1 is more valuable than the guy who goes 4, 3, 5, 6, 2.
But you really are debating that point. NFL games consist of more than one offensive play. The guy who can't follow the playbook doesn't get more playing time that's a simple reality.
I think I quoted the wrong message, but this was in response to the general point you're making -
Edgrine James (sp?) gave an interview once where he talked about how a play was called where he was supposed to get a first down and get out of bounds, but instead ran along the sideline for a td. Aaron Rodgers talked about how in his superbowl winning drive he was drawing plays in the dirt. The post Jimmy Johnson cowboys basically ignored the next guy whose name I forget.
Point is, if a player is good enough they can pretty much do what they want within reason. Considering the state of Detroit football, maybe just letting their best play makers try to hero ball it for a while would be fun. Not like the coaches will be there next year.
Point is one play isn't a whole game. Do we think Edge followed the play more or freelanced more? Rodgers?

If you can't follow the play you don't get more PT. Of course you can freelance, but look at that play it was freelancing to the detriment of the team. In this thread earlier we got caught up in 8 yards vs (arbitrarily) 4 yards, but the reality is 8 yards freelancing vs more than 8 yards following the play.

Again, there is always room for freelancing, but is D'Andre Barry Sanders now? Are we really going down that path? In 32 career games played (of 41 possible) D'Andre hasn't put up as many rush yards as Barry did in his first 16.

Has this kid really earned the right to just do whatever the heck he wants? Am I supposed to believe you guys would really be okay with that outside the context of magic football?

Not buying it and calling immediate B.S. on anyone who says they would be okay with it if they were coaching him.

Point is one play isn't a whole game. Do we think Edge followed the play more or freelanced more? Rodgers?

If you can't follow the play you don't get more PT. Of course you can freelance, but look at that play it was freelancing to the detriment of the team. In this thread earlier we got caught up in 8 yards vs (arbitrarily) 4 yards, but the reality is 8 yards freelancing vs more than 8 yards following the play.

Again, there is always room for freelancing, but is D'Andre Barry Sanders now? Are we really going down that path? In 32 career games played (of 41 possible) D'Andre hasn't put up as many rush yards as Barry did in his first 16.

Has this kid really earned the right to just do whatever the heck he wants? Am I supposed to believe you guys would really be okay with that outside the context of magic football?

Not buying it and calling immediate B.S. on anyone who says they would be okay with it if they were coaching him.
In reality no, I wouldn't allow it as a coach for a second.

Buuuuuut if I had a free pass to play madden with a real NFL team that had the Lion's recent record I would love to get a bunch of athletes and tell them to just play a pick up game and see how it goes.

From the lion's perspective, Swift is signed thru next year. I would keep him through that then let him become a FA. Being in a contract year might make him want to pick up the pace to attract some teams attention, so they maybe get one good year out of him and then draft his replacement the next year. Lions have too many holes on defense right now to spend a first two day pick on a RB, especially if they use one on a QB who might need to sit a year.

Like an idiot I started this (now) THIRD STRING RB today. Garbage time TD saved the game.

Is he droppable in redraft?

Like an idiot I started this (now) THIRD STRING RB today. Garbage time TD saved the game.

That’s the thing. Though he’s hardly touching the ball he does have 5 TDs on the season now. I guess it would depend on who you could pick up in his place? All of his TDs seem to be short distance but he has the ability to take it the distance at any moment. It’s definitely been a frustrating year to have this guy.

D'Andre Swift rushed five times for 20 yards and a touchdowns in the Lions’ Week 11 win over the Giants, adding three receptions for an additional 12 yards.​

The good thing is that Swift received eight touches, which could be considered good with his recent usage. The bad news is, he was the third Lions’ back to get a touch. Justin Jackson led the team in rushing and had more carries than Swift. Looking explosive on a 16-yard run, that was pretty much all we got to see from Swift besides a late touchdown when the Lions had the game in hand. It seemed as if once he was healthier he would get more run and maybe he’s not yet, but you can’t count on him as the third back in a three-man committee.
Nov 20, 2022, 4:48 PM ET

no ofc not

but Justin Jackson outplayed him today

when CMC got traded I dropped Jeff Wilson bc 1) just another handcuff / lotto ticket and 2) Mitchell was due back soon

don't be like me lol

but yeah he's probable unstartable untless Jamaal misses time

What are thoughts on Swift ROS? Was yesterday a lesson in humility for Swift? He's probably the most talented RB on the team, certainly the most explosive... but is J. Williams going to be starter w/ 50% of touches rest of the way with Justin Jackson now splitting touches w/ Swift for the scraps?

Maybe Swift is not working as hard as they would like? Maybe they didn't like the bellyaching about usage? Maybe everyone feels like he's an injury waiting to happen?

Will he fight his way out of the doghouse and get back to a feature roll as a potential superstar, or is he destined for a journeyman roll as a career back-up?

What are thoughts on Swift ROS? Was yesterday a lesson in humility for Swift? He's probably the most talented RB on the team, certainly the most explosive... but is J. Williams going to be starter w/ 50% of touches rest of the way with Justin Jackson now splitting touches w/ Swift for the scraps?

Maybe Swift is not working as hard as they would like? Maybe they didn't like the bellyaching about usage? Maybe everyone feels like he's an injury waiting to happen?

Will he fight his way out of the doghouse and get back to a feature roll as a potential superstar, or is he destined for a journeyman roll as a career back-up?
The Lions (and Swift) would be well served to allow Swift to share the load with Williams. Swift is always one hit away from the next injury that will land him in the trainers' room for multiple weeks. I expect we will see the Lions gradually increase Swift's role, but Williams is not going away.
I am not aware of any issues with Swift not working hard or complaining about his role. This is destined for RBBC for two reasons: (1) Swift, while talented and explosive, has struggled to stay healthy; and (2) Williams is performing at a high level.

Starting both Swift & Jamaal every week has worked out pretty well.

For all the complaints, D'Andre is still performing as a mid RB2.

Lions listed D'Andre Swift (ankle/shoulder) as a full participant on their Monday practice report.​

Swift was a full participant in the Lions' final two practices last week, and appears to be trending in the right direction for Thursday's matchup against the Bills. Assuming he's active, Swift will be hard to trust in Week 12 after seeing just eight touches in Sunday's win over the Giants, running behind Jamaal Williams and Justin Jackson. Swift's limited run against the Giants could have to do with the myriad of injuries he's dealing with, but his recent string of practices would suggest most of that is behind him.
Nov 21, 2022, 4:07 PM ET

I expect we will see the Lions gradually increase Swift's role,
I’m not so sure about that. They seem to be playing well on both sides of the ball (and winning) with Jamaal carrying the load and Swift used in certain spots.
D'Andre Swift is not a high volume back, but he had only 5 touches in Week 9, 7 touches in Week 10, and 8 touches this week. As Swift distances himself from injuries, a modest increase in touches seems quite probable.

I expect we will see the Lions gradually increase Swift's role,
I’m not so sure about that. They seem to be playing well on both sides of the ball (and winning) with Jamaal carrying the load and Swift used in certain spots.
D'Andre Swift is not a high volume back, but he had only 5 touches in Week 9, 7 touches in Week 10, and 8 touches this week. As Swift distances himself from injuries, a modest increase in touches seems quite probable.
I want to believe this but it seems possible the further we move from his injuries the more likely his decline in PT & opps is related by his inability (or refusal) to understand his reads.

D'Andre Swift (ankle/shoulder) practiced in full on Tuesday.​

With four full practices in a row, is this the week where you can play Swift without reservations? Yeah, we kind of doubt it too. He'll remain on the FLEX line against the Bills, but until we see him handle a full complement of reps or get word that his workload will be increasing, he'll be boom-bust and hard to trust.
Nov 22, 2022, 5:21 PM ET

Sitting him today... probably means he's going to blow up. I can see him getting 9 catches in garbage time (aka the entire 4th QTR).

I feel like I'm expected to write Dan Campbell a sincere hand-written thank you letter for each time Swift gets a touch.

After what he just did on that third down, I wouldn't expect him to get too many more touches.
You mean, catching the ball thrown to him, and gaining 7 yards and trying to get the first down but coming a half yard short? Yeah, every player but Swift gets every first down on every opportunity. He must be terrible.

I feel like I'm expected to write Dan Campbell a sincere hand-written thank you letter for each time Swift gets a touch.

After what he just did on that third down, I wouldn't expect him to get too many more touches.
You mean, catching the ball thrown to him, and gaining 7 yards and trying to get the first down but coming a half yard short? Yeah, every player but Swift gets every first down on every opportunity. He must be terrible.
Lol

He was very impressive on the TD run that was called back at the end of the second. Have to imagine that's the type of grinding, hard nosed run that Campbell loves.

Okay, now that,  the non-catch down the sideline, was  bad.
Annnnd another bad one on the dropped touchdown. That had nothing to do with the defender, that was all on Swift.

D'Andre Swift caught 4-of-8 targets for 24 yards in the Lions' Week 12 loss to the Bills, adding five rushes for 19 additional yards.​

By far the most involved he has been since returning from injury, Swift's eight targets were a new season high by three. Although the greater usage was appreciated, it was a painful day of what-might-have-beens, with a potential Swift rushing score called back after his knee was ruled down and a passing touchdown slipping through his hands. He was also stymied on another goal-line carry and goal-line target. The good news, of course, is that the Lions were looking Swift's way in big spots. He now has 10 days to rest up for a plus Week 13 matchup with the Jags. His FLEX stock is back on the upswing.
Nov 24, 2022, 4:32 PM ET

What happened to this guy? Strange.
He's getting more and more work week by week. I don't know if it's about the injury (whether fear of re-injury, or lingering effects), or something else, but they seem to be ramping him back up very slowly. I'm encouraged after today. He missed out on 2 touchdowns, one was called back by penalty (I don't know if the committed penalty affected his run), one was a very near catch. He should have held on to it. Count that against his performance, but count something onto his expected fantasy score if you want, because that should've been 8 PPR points right there and I'd say if he had that chance 10 more times, he'd get it 8 times.

It isn't that he is any good kind of hard to put up big stats when you touch the ball 8 times a game and only play like 15-20 snaps a game. They seem to be overly protecting him from injury.

He's getting more and more work week by week. I don't know if it's about the injury (whether fear of re-injury, or lingering effects), or something else, but they seem to be ramping him back up very slowly. I'm encouraged after today. He missed out on 2 touchdowns, one was called back by penalty (I don't know if the committed penalty affected his run), one was a very near catch. He should have held on to it. Count that against his performance, but count something onto his expected fantasy score if you want, because that should've been 8 PPR points right there and I'd say if he had that chance 10 more times, he'd get it 8 times.
His TD was over turned by replay not penalty. His knee barely touched the ground then he plowed in the end zone.

Also Jamaal Williams takes too much off his plate he gets nearly all goal line carries and takes 2/3 of the running plays. Not much you can do if you are not on the field.

His TD was over turned by replay not penalty. His knee barely touched the ground then he plowed in the end zone.
That's right, my bad.

They seem to be overly protecting him from injury.
I’m sure that’s a big part of it. The best trait is availability and Swift hasn’t proven to be able to do that for a long stretch. Exactly one year ago on the Thanksgiving Day game, with his separated shoulder, seemed to really start his fall from grace in the coaches’ minds.

Tons of talent and explosiveness, but doesn’t seem to be a very good football player. At least the way Campbell & Co. wants it to be played.

Been their third best back the last few weeks

Obviously he's the biggest HR threat they have (at least until Jamo hits the field next week) but he's not running decisively. Seems mental, he's so quick to dance around and avoid contact. Caught a ball yesterday a few yards short of the first, he's bigger and stronger than the DB in front of him, just puts his foot in the ground the lowers his shoulder it's an easy FD. Instead he goes east-west and doesn't make it. See that a lot from him these days.

Tons of talent and explosiveness, but doesn’t seem to be a very good football player. At least the way Campbell & Co. wants it to be played.

Obviously he's the biggest HR threat they have (at least until Jamo hits the field next week) but he's not running decisively. Seems mental, he's so quick to dance around and avoid contact. Caught a ball yesterday a few yards short of the first, he's bigger and stronger than the DB in front of him, just puts his foot in the ground the lowers his shoulder it's an easy FD. Instead he goes east-west and doesn't make it. See that a lot from him these days.

Even Jim Nance made a comment about that during replay, "He hesitated there... "

Yet he powered in for the last few yards on the 9 yard TD run where he was ultimately called down before he reached the end zone.

that was great

this was not

upthread I posted a ridiculous play where he runs away from his blocking on a perfectly setup screen

super talented athlete but frustrating to watch play football - leaves a lot of yards out there
Swift had fallen to my least potential bench player and I even considered dropping him for a higher type of talent if that even exists. After watching yesterday I did see a glimmer of hope. I'd like to see more fire in his belly, more passion. If the Lions would have won that game it would be interesting to see if his usage goes up. It still likely will. He needs 12-13 touches to be fantasy relevant. He's a hold on my bench for now behind Chubb, Gibson, Wilson, Jr., and Pierce / Swift. Kupp round 1, Chubb round 2, Swift round 3. Trading him never happened. Nobody wants him. I see a glimmer of hope rising.

Do you project this hesitancy, not reading blocks right as related to his concerns for injury/ re-injury? It would almost have to be or how does this guy have value to be picked in rounds 2/3???

I’ve already written him off for this year. The big question is what kind of value he’ll have next year. Heading into this season, he was typically ranked well within the top 5 RBs - undoubtedly we’ll see a big drop off this offseason.

Users who are viewing this thread