What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

RB Deon Jackson, CLE (2 Viewers)

Faust

MVP

Deon Jackson had six rushes for 19 yards and a touchdown in the Colts' Week 13 win against the Texans.​

Jackson, an undrafted free agent out of Duke, saw cleanup duty in the Colts' blowout victory over Houston. Jackson could have some fantasy relevance if Jonathan Taylor were to miss time in the season's final five weeks. Running back-needy fantasy managers might want to stash Jackson, just in case.
Dec 6, 2021, 10:59 AM ET

Last edited:

Deon Jackson rushed 13 times for 62 yards in the Colts' Week 5 win over the Broncos, adding four receptions for 29 additional yards.​

Jackson provided a spark to the Colts' offense on the team's second drive of the game after Nyheim Hines exited with a concussion. On his first play of the game, Jackson took a Matt Ryan pass for 21 yards, shaking several defenders on his way to a first down. He would later break off a 13-yard in the third quarter and had multiple touches of double-digit yards on the afternoon. The former Duke product averaged 5.4 yards per touch against a stout Broncos defense and would be on the fantasy radar as a FLEX option if Jonathan Taylor were to miss Week 6 against the Jaguars.
Oct 7, 2022, 12:26 AM ET

is he clear pickup over Lindsay? seems like was even split last week, even though DJax was more productive

is he clear pickup over Lindsay? seems like was even split last week, even though DJax was more productive
I don’t know for sure, but he outsnapped Lindsay 46-30 and looked better and theoretically you would think they are more invested in him as a potential part of the future. That’s the case for Jackson.

I guess the case for Lindsay would be that he has gotten more comfortable with the system and the staff would prefer a vet who is theoretically safer.

Per @dwainmcfarland

Deon Jackson & Phillip Lindsay Utilization in Week 5 without Jonathan Taylor and Nyheim Hines:

Snaps: 58%, 38%
Rush Atts: 50%, 42%
Route Participation: 49%, 25%
Targets: 11%, 11%
Short yardage: 75%, 25%
Long down distance: 56%, 38%
Two-minute offense: 83%, 38%

Jackson > Lindsay

Picked him up yesterday and immediately threw a trade to the Taylor team for a 2nd round pick. I revoked the trade this morning and started him instead. Guess he'll be a hold for now.

I picked him up to sub for Higgins. I had him in my starting lineup but benched him when Higgins was ruled to play. :bored:

Injured on the play? Noooooooo

I’m at work - how bad?
Or not. Done for the day with the quad injury
Back to the bench anyway next week. I look fr both Taylor and Hines to be back.
I only have him in the league I’m trying to go 0-17, so he helped me with his injury.

I’m just glad it doesn’t sound severe. Now I can try to get a pick from the Taylor owner for him. :D
He will probably wait for you to drop him after he’s third string again. Everyone had to know this was short lived. He will go back to the waiver wire in most leagues

I’m at work - how bad?
Back to the bench anyway next week. I look fr both Taylor and Hines to be back.
I only have him in the league I’m trying to go 0-17, so he helped me with his injury.

I’m just glad it doesn’t sound severe. Now I can try to get a pick from the Taylor owner for him. :D
He will probably wait for you to drop him after he’s third string again. Everyone had to know this was short lived. He will go back to the waiver wire in most leagues
I’m trading him Monday morning dammit :rant:

I’m at work - how bad?
Back to the bench anyway next week. I look for both Taylor and Hines to be back.
You're probably right about Hines but...man it seems like the whole playbook is open for Deon. Hines, IMO, can't carry the load if something happens to Taylor. Deon can... at least more than Hines IMO.

I mean, Hines is a 5th year guy, I think he is what we have seen him to be. Is Hines really unreplaceable? It's not like he has been some dynamic Ekeler or Sproles guy. He's just okay. Is he locked into his role? Because Deon has been incredibly effective in the passing game and, unlike Hines he's built like a 🧱 🙂 🏠 couldn't he take over Hines's role and be even more effective because defenses have more to worry about with him in the backfield than Hines?

Last edited:

I’m at work - how bad?
Back to the bench anyway next week. I look for both Taylor and Hines to be back.
You're probably right about Hines but...man it seems like the whole playbook is open for Deon. Hines, IMO, can't carry the load if something happens to Taylor. Deon can... at least more than Hines IMO.

I mean, Hines is a 5th year guy, I think he is what we have seen him to be. Is Hines really unreplaceable? It's not like he has been some dynamic Ekeler or Sproles guy. He's just okay. Is he locked into his role? Because Deon has been incredibly effective in the passing game and, unlike Hines he's built like a 🧱 🙂 🏠 couldn't he take over Hines's role and be even more effective because defenses have more to worry about with him in the backfield than Hines?
Had Hines not gotten hurt Jackson would have received a lot less work. If healthy, Hines is still the handcuff to Taylor.

I’m at work - how bad?

Had Hines not gotten hurt Jackson would have received a lot less work. If healthy, Hines is still the handcuff to Taylor.
I completely understand that point and I hope it didn't seem like I was unclear that Hines came into this season as the clear back up to Taylor.

However hasn't Jackson shown enough to at least challenge a, I don't want to say JAG but, not special, running back like Hines?

I mean if we were talking about a guy like Herbert who even though he looks like a better runner than Montgomery clearly the Bears are hesitant to open up the entire playbook for him, I would understand that, But with Jackson it doesn't seem like the Colts are hesitant to open up the entire playbook for him. So why do we believe that a fifth year running back who has been pretty good but not great, and more likely, average will automatically hold on to a backup running back job when there's a guy who they can do more with and as performed better?

I’m at work - how bad?

Jackson > Hines

if we see it, the coaches see it. It is just a matter of trust and personal politics now.

I’m at work - how bad?

I completely understand that point and I hope it didn't seem like I was unclear that Hines came into this season as the clear back up to Taylor.

However hasn't Jackson shown enough to at least challenge a, I don't want to say JAG but, not special, running back like Hines?

I mean if we were talking about a guy like Herbert who even though he looks like a better runner than Montgomery clearly the Bears are hesitant to open up the entire playbook for him, I would understand that, But with Jackson it doesn't seem like the Colts are hesitant to open up the entire playbook for him. So why do we believe that a fifth year running back who has been pretty good but not great, and more likely, average will automatically hold on to a backup running back job when there's a guy who they can do more with and as performed better?
I wouldn’t call Jackson special either. He went undrafted for a reason. Jackson may be better than we all thought. If no Taylor they might go to Jackson on early downs and keep Hines in his original role with Taylor.

I’m at work - how bad?

Jackson > Hines

if we see it, the coaches see it. It is just a matter of trust and personal politics now.
You make that determination on one game?

I could not disagree with this more. We do not remotely see what the coaches see.

And I don't think politics plays into it nearly as much as past protection. However in this situation it seems like the Colts trust Jackson in past protection, at least far more than they do Lindsay. I can't speak to how they feel about his performance relative to Hines.

I’m at work - how bad?

Jackson > Hines

Jackson is probably a better all around back, but nowhere near as effective in open space as a receiver as Hines is. As a complement for taylor, Hines makes a lot more sense

But, again if you look at what Jackson did today, 10 receptions 80 plus yards you know I just don't see why he couldn't supplant a guy like Hines. I mean, we all read what Frank Reich said about Hines in the preseason but none of that has actually developed over the first five games. At this point we are at the push comes to shove stage so why wouldn't Reich hang his hat on a guy like Jackson who has performed better than a guy like Hines?

All this to say that no one is supplanting Jonathan Taylor but why can't Jackson be the de facto backup over Hines?

Seriously, what has Hines ever done?

I’m at work - how bad?

Jackson > Hines

Jackson is probably a better all around back, but nowhere near as effective in open space as a receiver as Hines is. As a complement for taylor, Hines makes a lot more sense
Yeah, that's the narrative but where's the proof? The numbers don't support that contention.

Last edited:
I mean just based on watching them, Hines is shiftier and seems more elusive and can more easily grab and go.

I take your point about jackson possibly being more effective ultimately because defenses have to respect more of the playbook

Maybe what it boils down to is that Jackson is a better Taylor than Hines is a Taylor and Hines is a better Hines than Jackson is. So in other words, Jackson will sit the bench as long as Taylor is healthy, but will have a better role than Hines if Taylor is out. I’m flexible enough to see it that way. The Colts may decide to keep Hines in his original role.

I wouldn't even look at Hines as the cuff to Taylor at this point. Don't think his role would change much if Taylor went down. Think Jackson earned a much larger role if Taylor goes down. Probably not the original plan but Jackson seized the opportunities the last 2 games.

Hines hadn't shown anything as a rusher in 5 seasons. I guess he could be valued as something like a McKissic. I have Hines multiple PPR leagues and likely to consider dropping (something I wasn't considering before Jackson's performances)

Hines probably has more weekly value if Taylor/him are healthy. If Taylor goes down, I'll take Jackson myself

Last edited:
@Long Ball Larry @JohnnyU @Craig_MiamiFL

Yeah, I agree with all of what you said. My only point contention is why is Hines role secure when Taylor is healthy?

After five seasons he's a career 4.1 y/rush, 7.3 y/reception guy. I was completely on board with Reich's talk this off season but it has amounted to more of what Hines has always been.

To be clear, I am not saying Jackson is special, Taylor's job is 100% secure IMO, but he seems to be at least as good as Hines and probably better.

I look at in a similar way as I do Khalil Herbert. He seems like a much better runner than Montgomery but, clearly the Bears (this regime or the last) feel he is lacking in most other, non running aspects relative to Monty. So the playbook is more condensed.

But that doesn't seem to be the case here. It feels like Jackson can do everything Hines can and possibly more. I mean, think about Jackson's TD, he absolutely blasted his way into the end zone, would the Colts even have considered running that play with Hines? I doubt it.

Am I crazy to think that?

I look at in a similar way as I do Khalil Herbert. He seems like a much better runner than Montgomery but, clearly the Bears (this regime or the last) feel he is lacking in most other, non running aspects relative to Monty. So the playbook is more condensed.

But that doesn't seem to be the case here. It feels like Jackson can do everything Hines can and possibly more. I mean, think about Jackson's TD, he absolutely blasted his way into the end zone, would the Colts even have considered running that play with Hines? I doubt it.

Well he definitely has protoypical RB size compared to Hines, but Hines is a dual-threat playmaker and will likely keep a role no matter what. Jackson may have earned the legit handcuff role though. He balled out last week and then obviously today.

Well he definitely has protoypical RB size compared to Hines, but Hines is a dual-threat playmaker and will likely keep a role no matter what. Jackson may have earned the legit handcuff role though. He balled out last week and then obviously today.
Yes, but hasn't Jackson demonstrated he is also a dual threat playmaker?

And what kind of playmaker has Hines shown himself to be? Is he really a playmaker? Why do we believe he has any kind of special juke ability that he hasn't demonstrated in his first four seasons?

Yes, but hasn't Jackson demonstrated he is also a dual threat playmaker?

And what kind of playmaker has Hines shown himself to be? Is he really a playmaker? Why do we believe he has any kind of special juke ability that he hasn't demonstrated in his first four seasons?
Yes I'm agreeing with you about Deon. I'm simply stating Hines is actually pretty good. And he absolutely has demonstrated it. But he is small so IMO they should give Deon the clear #2 role. That's all.

if space available, he's a better stash than Warren/Pacheco IMO. I'm using Gus as my RB3/4 and I'm debating cutting him for Deon.

Users who are viewing this thread